Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wing Bolts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith601-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bill.pagan(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:41 am    Post subject: Wing Bolts Reply with quote

Hello All,

Finished with the upgrade but have not riveted the center section back in place in the plane as of yet. My quickbuild (snicker-snicker) like some others has the holes for the wing bolts in the carry through slightly out of shape. My question is should I mount the carry through onto the wing spar out of the plane and ream these holes to size or wait until I install the wings on the plane with the carry through riveted in place. How difficult is it to ream these holes with the center section installed (looks like it would be difficult to me) and if I ream them with the center section on the wing out of the plane is there a chance that they will have to be redone when all is installed on the plane? I worry about whether things will move slightly when I rivet it all together. Then of course with the holes already reamed it would cause things to be out of shape again. Hope this is clear.

Bill Pagán
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Zenith601-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith601-List
carlossa52(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:36 am    Post subject: Wing Bolts Reply with quote

Hello, Bill
I have noticed that parts tend to shift a little relative to the original position (i.e., when the wholes were drilled) during riveting.
So now I have the habit of first placing the tail end of drill bits in a few holes (for instance, when riveting the wing skin, 5 to 10 drill bits on each rib), and then install the clecoes.
See attached picture of one fuel tank: in the centre of the picture, you can see two drill bits sticking out. On the top of the tank, left hand side of the picture, another drill bit (this one has the cutting end wrapped in masking tap). This ensured a precise, tight fit of all components.
I suggest that, if you are afraid parts may shift during riveting, you use the same principle - and, in addition, put the bolts in place.

This is my 2 cents (Canadian) worth - but this seems a good question for the ZAC boys to answer.

Good luck

Carlos
CH601-HD, plans

On 20 March 2011 09:39, Bill Pagan <bill.pagan(at)yahoo.com (bill.pagan(at)yahoo.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Hello All,

Finished with the upgrade but have not riveted the center section back in place in the plane as of yet.  My quickbuild (snicker-snicker) like some others has the holes for the wing bolts in the carry through slightly out of shape.  My question is should I mount the carry through onto the wing spar out of the plane and ream these holes to size or wait until I install the wings on the plane with the carry through riveted in place.  How difficult is it to ream these holes with the center section installed (looks like it would be difficult to me) and if I ream them with the center section on the wing out of the plane is there a chance that they will have to be redone when all is installed on the plane?  I worry about whether things will move slightly when I rivet it all together.  Then of course with the holes already reamed it would cause things to be out of shape again.  Hope this is clear.

Bill Pagán
Quote:

" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith601-List
tp://forums.matronics.com
_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

P1150001.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  677.43 KB
 Viewed:  2433 Time(s)

P1150001.JPG

psm(at)att.net

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:35 am    Post subject: Wing Bolts Reply with quote

Hi Bill,

The first time (before the upgrade kit was designed) I tried drilling and reaming the mounting holes with the carry through in place. Actually, I had so much trouble with the drilling I never got to the reaming. It was nearly impossible to get a drill of any kind (capable of such large drill bits) in place to drill with the fuselage sides and the seat parts in the way.

This time, when installing the whole thing after upgrade, I am going to drill, ream, and inspect the mounting holes with the carry through out of the fuselage. I don't know how much problem I will have installing it after the finished holes are done, but I thing the first attempt resulted in something that was not airworthy. Indeed, I replaced the caps in the carry through and all 4 uprights to try to make things right.

If you are still considering this problem in a couple of weeks then let me know. I should be finished by then.

Paul
Working in final stages of installing the carry through - wings completed.

On 3/20/2011 6:39 AM, Bill Pagan wrote: [quote] Hello All,

Finished with the upgrade but have not riveted the center section back in place in the plane as of yet. My quickbuild (snicker-snicker) like some others has the holes for the wing bolts in the carry through slightly out of shape. My question is should I mount the carry through onto the wing spar out of the plane and ream these holes to size or wait until I install the wings on the plane with the carry through riveted in place. How difficult is it to ream these holes with the center section installed (looks like it would be difficult to me) and if I ream them with the center section on the wing out of the plane is there a chance that they will have to be redone when all is installed on the plane? I worry about whether things will move slightly when I rivet it all together. Then of course with the holes already reamed it would cause things to be out of shape again. Hope this is clear.

Bill Pagán

Quote:

[b]

bill.pagan(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:45 am    Post subject: Wing Bolts Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the responses. This is pretty much what I thought and plan to ream the holes out of the plane with the center section on the wing spars prior to riveting it all back in the plane.

On Sun Mar 20th, 2011 12:25 PM EDT Paul Mulwitz wrote:

Quote:
Hi Bill,

The first time (before the upgrade kit was designed) I tried drilling and reaming the mounting holes with the carry through in place. Actually, I had so much trouble with the drilling I never got to the reaming. It was nearly impossible to get a drill of any kind (capable of such large drill bits) in place to drill with the fuselage sides and the seat parts in the way.

This time, when installing the whole thing after upgrade, I am going to drill, ream, and inspect the mounting holes with the carry through out of the fuselage. I don't know how much problem I will have installing it after the finished holes are done, but I thing the first attempt resulted in something that was not airworthy. Indeed, I replaced the caps in the carry through and all 4 uprights to try to make things right.

If you are still considering this problem in a couple of weeks then let me know. I should be finished by then.

Paul
Working in final stages of installing the carry through - wings completed.
On 3/20/2011 6:39 AM, Bill Pagan wrote:
> Hello All,
> Finished with the upgrade but have not riveted the center section back in place in the plane as of yet. My quickbuild (snicker-snicker) like some others has the holes for the wing bolts in the carry through slightly out of shape. My question is should I mount the carry through onto the wing spar out of the plane and ream these holes to size or wait until I install the wings on the plane with the carry through riveted in place. How difficult is it to ream these holes with the center section installed (looks like it would be difficult to me) and if I ream them with the center section on the wing out of the plane is there a chance that they will have to be redone when all is installed on the plane? I worry about whether things will move slightly when I rivet it all together. Then of course with the holes already reamed it would cause things to be out of shape again. Hope this is clear.
>
> /Bill Pagán/
>
>
> *
>
>
> *

its4jes(at)aim.com

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject: Wing Bolts Reply with quote

List

I drilled the oversize holes for 3/8" bolts with the wings installed with 2 of the 5/16" bolts holding
everything together. I drilled the under-sized holes with a cut off under-size bit(~.365) and a right angle
drill motor. I then used a 3/8" reamer with a cutoff shank in the right angle drill motor to precision
fit each 3/8" bolt one at a time. I choose to leave 2 5/16" bolts in hard to get locations because
of the tight quarters. I figured that 4 3/8" bolts and 2 5/16" bolts all with good fits was good enough.

For what it is worth.

JES (601XL-B done)

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith601-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: