Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

bungee replacement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ejessee

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:16 am    Post subject: bungee replacement Reply with quote

Per a previous post, I recently replaced the bungee on the front of my 701. In place, it looked like an optional task; however, when I got it out, I realized it was badly freyed at the contact points around back of the front gear. I understand that the bungees are 5 year items. As my plane was completed in '06. I expect the bungee was manufactured in ~2000 or 2001 -- assuming the bungee came in the kit. Mine was past due.

Take it from me (see my rubber spacer failure posts)... replace your rubber spacers and your bungee. Not that hard to do and a real scare (or worse) if something goes wrong.

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List

rockiedog2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:06 am    Post subject: bungee replacement Reply with quote

Hi Ernest
How many hours were on that bungee? Did you get your replacement from Zenith? I'm trying to remember some rubber spacers and am drawing a blank on that. Not unusual for me lately. Anyway...what spacers?
Thanks
Joe in Mississippi
[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

ejessee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: bungee replacement Reply with quote

Bungee had about 290 hours. I did order the replacement from Zenith for about $25. It's a 1080... you can get it from Spruce but it is cheaper from Zenith.

The spacers I am speaking of are the rubber spacers on the main gear. Mine failed last summer and I ended up having the main gear fold on me when I landed. I had heard a loud "pop" at takeoff from a grass field right at rotation and then recognized the gear hanging "askew" while in flight. I was able to plan the landing and to the glory of God, there were no injuries and.. not 1 scratch on the plane. I came in with a lot of throttle work and gently set it down on its belly in the grass. As soon as I got the belly down, I killed the engine to avoid a strike, but the front gear held fine. She came to rest like a dog sitting on her rear haunches. I still can't believe it... Absolutely no damage whatsoever to the plane other than bent bolts on the right strut fitting. I did replace that strut fitting.

if you search my posts, I think there are pics.

the security of my gear is something I check at every pre-flight and then again at taxi using the brakes and watching deflection. Very important.

rockiedog2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:23 am    Post subject: bungee replacement Reply with quote

oh yeah those spacers. Mine failed early on, but no gear collapse...I'm running pieces of tire in there now. That's held up well but I only have 220 hours on it. I'm trying to figure out how your gear collapsed without the clamp failing too...I can easily understand it being floppy and sweeping back some on landing but how did it collapse? I guess once it sweeps a ways it goes on and fails the clamp too? That's the bent bolts you mentioned?
Thanks a lot, good info. I'll go look at mine closer now
Joe
[quote][b]

ejessee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: bungee replacement Reply with quote

Prior to the aforementioned takeoff, I had landed on the short field. I was probably just at gross weight and dropped it in solid... not a bad landing but not a greaser either. As best as I can tell, the top spacer sheared completely into 2 pieces at landing. I didn't pre-flight (my-bad) but just tookoff. As there was slop in the clamp assembly, as I went across the grass, the jolting caused the front of the aluminum bracket to break just as I lifted off. The back of the bracket held on but the gear tilted back about 20 degrees. As I remember that takeoff, I shiver. What if it had broken 1 second earlier, I was past the point of no return and headed over a cliff. whew. Again... glory be to God.

I didn't tell my passenger how bad it was but just headed to an airport with more runway. As I turned downwind, I handed her a fire-extinguisher and told her to pray.

I explained above how I landed her: a lot of throttle work and prayer. the gear folded back but stayed in the slot that runs beneath the fuselage. Not a scratch on the plane. I tell you the truth. Not a single scratch. How can that be?

It hurts to look, but I'll post the picture again.

fly safe.

IMG00004-20100730-1458.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  266.3 KB
 Viewed:  6089 Time(s)

IMG00004-20100730-1458.jpg

agibeaut

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:10 am    Post subject: bungee replacement Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing that, and I'll bet there are several on this forum that feel the same way.

--- On Wed, 3/23/11, ejessee <eejessee(at)us.ibm.com> wrote:

Quote:
Subject: Re: bungee replacement
To: zenith701801-list(at)matronics.com
Date: Wednesday, March 23, 2011, 8:55 AM
--> Zenith701801-List message
posted by: "ejessee" <eejessee(at)us.ibm.com>

Prior to the  aforementioned takeoff, I had landed on
the short field.  I was probably just at gross weight
and dropped it in solid... not a bad landing but not a
greaser either.  As best as I can tell, the top spacer
sheared completely into 2 pieces at landing.  I didn't
pre-flight (my-bad) but just tookoff.   As
there was slop in the clamp assembly, as I went across the
grass, the jolting caused the front of the aluminum bracket
to break just as I lifted off. The back of the bracket held
on but the gear tilted back about 20
degrees.   As I remember that takeoff, I
shiver. What if it had broken 1 second earlier, I was past
the point of no return and headed over a cliff. 
whew.  Again... glory be to God.

I didn't tell my passenger how bad it was but just headed
to an airport with more runway.  As I turned downwind,
I handed her a fire-extinguisher and told her to pray. 

I explained above how I landed her:  a lot of throttle
work and prayer.  the gear folded back but stayed in
the slot that runs beneath the fuselage.  Not a scratch
on the plane.   I tell you the truth. 
Not a single scratch.  How can that be?

It hurts to look, but I'll post the picture again. 

fly safe.

--------
Ernest Jessee
N4931M

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=334761#334761

Attachments:

http://forums.matronics.com//files/img00004_20100730_1458_110.jpg

Zenith701801-List Email Forum -
FAQ,
   - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS -
List Contribution Web Site -
              -Matt
Dralle, List Admin.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: