Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EGT/CHT combination guage

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevlynn(at)bellsouth.net

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:56 am    Post subject: EGT/CHT combination guage Reply with quote

I am looking for another hole to mount an additional flight instrument in a Kolb Firefly panel. I’m considering removing the dual EGT gauge and the dual CHT gauge, and replacing with a combination EGT/CHT gauge. Am I giving up more than I really should in terms of Rotax 447 engine operation?

[quote][b]

- The Matronics RotaxEngines-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RotaxEngines-List
lucien

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: EGT/CHT combination guage Reply with quote

stevlynn(at)bellsouth.net wrote:
I am looking for another hole to mount an additional flight instrument in a Kolb Firefly panel. I’m considering removing the dual EGT gauge and the dual CHT gauge, and replacing with a combination EGT/CHT gauge. Am I giving up more than I really should in terms of Rotax 447 engine operation?

You should be fine, especially if your 447 is the single carb version. Just put the remaining CHT and EGT's on the hottest cylinders. If you have dual carbs, you run the (fairly low) risk of something happening to the non-monitored cylinder's carb and it not showing up as an EGT spike or dip, etc. But with a single, it'll show up on either cylinder. So IMO I say no problem....

LS

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

bob(at)fly-ul.com

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:08 pm    Post subject: EGT/CHT combination guage Reply with quote

I think you should have two EGT gauges. You can't mount a single prob in the correct spot and expect to monitor both cylinders. Single carb or dual carb, I believe two EGTs are important. There probably is a single gauge available that has both dual EGT and CHT in one unit

--
Bob Comperini
On Apr 16, 2011, at 7:39 AM, "lucien" <lstavenhagen(at)hotmail.com> wrote:

Quote:

stevlynn(at)bellsouth.net wrote:
> I am looking for another hole to mount an additional flight instrument in a Kolb Firefly panel. I’m considering removing the dual EGT gauge and the dual CHT gauge, and replacing with a combination EGT/CHT gauge. Am I giving up more than I really should in terms of Rotax 447 engine operation?
>

You should be fine, especially if your 447 is the single carb version. Just put the remaining CHT and EGT's on the hottest cylinders. If you have dual carbs, you run the (fairly low) risk of something happening to the non-monitored cylinder's carb and it not showing up as an EGT spike or dip, etc. But with a single, it'll show up on either cylinder. So IMO I say no problem....

LS

--------
LS
Titan II SS

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=337126#337126

thesupe(at)hotmail.com

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:30 pm    Post subject: EGT/CHT combination guage Reply with quote

Here is a solution to your problem.  On my Avid Flyer with a Jabiru engine I installed a 4 position Westach switch that switches the EGT and CHT probes from one cylinder to the next.  At this time I have seperate EGT and CHT gauges, but I'm going to switch to a single gauge to monitor both. The westach switch comes wired up to just do one set of 4 probes but the switch has 2 extra conections for each cylinder position so I wired up the CHT probes to the second set of conections and it works just fine.  With your two stroke, you wouldn't use cylinder 3 and 4  connections at all.  Take care,  Jim Chuk

> Subject: Re: Re: EGT/CHT combination guage
Quote:
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2011 14:02:05 -0700
To: rotaxengines-list(at)matronics.com

--> RotaxEngines-List message posted by: Bob Comperini <bob(at)fly-ul.com>

I think you should have two EGT gauges. You can't mount a single prob in the correct spot and expect to monitor both cylinders. Single carb or dual carb, I believe two EGTs are important. There probably is a single gauge available that has both dual EGT and CHT in one unit

--
Bob Comperini

On Apr 16, 2011, at 7:39 AM, "lucien" <lstavenhagen(at)hotmail.com> wrote:

> --> RotaxEngines-List message posted by: "lucien" <lstavenhagen(at)hotmail.com>
>
>
> stevlynn(at)bellsouth.net wrote:
>> I am looking for another hole to mount an additional flight instrument in a Kolb Firefly panel. I’m considering removing the dual EGT gauge and the dual CHT gauge, and replacing with a combination EGT/CHT gauge. Am I giving up more than I really should in terms of Rotax 447 engine operation?
>>
>
>
> You should be fine, especially if your 447 is the single carb version. Just put the remaining CHT and EGT's on the hottest cylinders. If you have dual carbs, you run the (fairly low) risk of something happening to the non-monitored cylinder's carb and it not showing up as an EGT spike or dip, etc. But with a single, it'll show up on either cylinder. So IMO I say no problem....
>
> LS
>
> --------
> LS
> Titan II SS
>
>
>
>
> Read this topic online here:
>
> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=337126#337126
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

&gt======================

&gt============
[quote]

Quote:
[b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: