Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

When is balance balanced?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Welch

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:25 pm    Post subject: When is balance balanced? Reply with quote

Kolb guys,

In consideration of Bob Green, I'm going to do my part to bring up a question
to the Kolb list members;

I'm in the middle of fabricating balance rods for my MkIII's elevator(s).  I have the
"4 sided" horizontal stabilizers like some Xtras have, with the outer dimension close
to 11" or so (see photo).
  The balance rods consist of 3/4" chromoly tubing, with a 3" welded "T" stub that inserts
into the elevator's main tube and will be riveted.  At the moment, the rods are about 12" long,
and run the full length alongside the hor. stabs.

Here's the dilemma!!  Even when I slide in 7" long solid steel weight rods into the ends of the
the balance rod tubes, this still doesn't come close to "blanacing" the elevators.  In fact, it takes
quite a bit more solid steel rod, hung out on the end of the balance tubes to get it to 'act' level.

While I'm monkeying around with various weights, in occurs to me (duh!) that if I want to
'balance' the elevators......I'm going to need close to the full weight of the elevators!!   I can't
say that I like this!!  In order to achieve a true and complete elevator balance, I will need to
add a fair amount of steel rod!   (photos on request)

Here's my question;  For you guys that have the elevator balance rods, did you really add
so much weight that the elevator was truely balanced, or did you possibly just add 'some'
weight, that would act like a reasonably decent counter-balance? 

I know another way to solve my problem would be to lengthen the balance rods, say...from their
present 12" length (which doens't work at the moment, unless they were maybe filled with lead),
to extend out in front of the hor. stabs 6", to something like 18" overall.  I sure DO NOT like this
solution, since, IMO, it looks like the balance rods were a complete afterthought (which they were).
Still....I don't want them to look dopey!!

What did you guys do to balance your elevator?  Nothing?  .....Some weight, but not a complete
balance?   Or did you just add enough rod length to keep the weight low? 

I'm kind of at a loss at the moment, any thoughts??????

Mike Welch
very unbalanced, quite possibly unstable, too.

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

redesgned_hor._stabilizer.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  173.62 KB
 Viewed:  9176 Time(s)

redesgned_hor._stabilizer.jpg

rickofudall

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:43 pm    Post subject: When is balance balanced? Reply with quote

Mike, Your elevators have a center of mass that is a certain distance from the hinge centerline. The two together create a moment and an arm. To balance them you must have an equivalent moment and arm on the other side of the hinge line. The problem with using a solid rod is that the balancing mass isn't concentrated enough, i.e too much of the mass ends up too close to the hinge line. This is the standard Kolb solution for the aileron counterbalances. I have them and they work great, BUT if I were to do it over again, I would use a hollow tube and either stuff the balance end with lead shot in epoxy, or solder a brass weight to the end of the tube. The idea is to concentrate the most mass on the shortest applicable moment arm to balance the control surface.
As to whether to do a partial or a complete balance, I'd go for the complete balance if only because it's the same amount of work. The problem with doing a partial balance is that you could inadvertently hit a hamonic of the flutter frequency that could make the situation worse instead of better.
MHO with Beauford's caveat.
Rick Girard

On Sat, Apr 23, 2011 at 5:19 PM, Mike Welch <mdnanwelch7(at)hotmail.com (mdnanwelch7(at)hotmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Kolb guys,

In consideration of Bob Green, I'm going to do my part to bring up a question
to the Kolb list members;

I'm in the middle of fabricating balance rods for my MkIII's elevator(s).  I have the
"4 sided" horizontal stabilizers like some Xtras have, with the outer dimension close
to 11" or so (see photo).
  The balance rods consist of 3/4" chromoly tubing, with a 3" welded "T" stub that inserts
into the elevator's main tube and will be riveted.  At the moment, the rods are about 12" long,
and run the full length alongside the hor. stabs.

Here's the dilemma!!  Even when I slide in 7" long solid steel weight rods into the ends of the
the balance rod tubes, this still doesn't come close to "blanacing" the elevators.  In fact, it takes
quite a bit more solid steel rod, hung out on the end of the balance tubes to get it to 'act' level.

While I'm monkeying around with various weights, in occurs to me (duh!) that if I want to
'balance' the elevators......I'm going to need close to the full weight of the elevators!!   I can't
say that I like this!!  In order to achieve a true and complete elevator balance, I will need to
add a fair amount of steel rod!   (photos on request)

Here's my question;  For you guys that have the elevator balance rods, did you really add
so much weight that the elevator was truely balanced, or did you possibly just add 'some'
weight, that would act like a reasonably decent counter-balance? 

I know another way to solve my problem would be to lengthen the balance rods, say...from their
present 12" length (which doens't work at the moment, unless they were maybe filled with lead),
to extend out in front of the hor. stabs 6", to something like 18" overall.  I sure DO NOT like this
solution, since, IMO, it looks like the balance rods were a complete afterthought (which they were).
Still....I don't want them to look dopey!!

What did you guys do to balance your elevator?  Nothing?  .....Some weight, but not a complete
balance?   Or did you just add enough rod length to keep the weight low? 

Mike Welch

--
Zulu Delta
Mk IIIC
Thanks, Homer GBYM
It isn't necessary to have relatives in Kansas City in order to be unhappy.
  - Groucho Marx

[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

John Hauck

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:50 pm    Post subject: When is balance balanced? Reply with quote

What did you guys do to balance your elevator? Nothing? .....Some
weight, but not a complete
balance? Or did you just add enough rod length to keep the weight low?

Mike Welch

Mike W/Gang:

Why are you trying to balance your elevators?

Is there a flutter problem with Kolb elevators?

john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama

Titus, Alabama
Mike Welch

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:24 pm    Post subject: When is balance balanced? Reply with quote

Quote:
Is there a flutter problem with Kolb elevators?

john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama

John,

I 'thought' there was...or could be. I was under the impression all control
surfaces needed to be balanced. I guess not...

I got an 'off-list' response from the list's most distinguished pilot, explaining
that many (all?) MkIII's don't have balanced elevators. OH!! I didn't know that.
I thought at least some of them were.

I do recall seeing somewhere where one Kolb builder used a balance rod
that was attached to the top of the rudder. Although I could not remember any
elevator balancing systems, I kinda thought a few guys did balance theirs

Kip

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: When is balance balanced? Reply with quote

I thought that I was the most distinguished pilot... Wink

Never had elevator flutter and any flutter in 450 hours.

Balanced ailerons.

2010 Waiex
Jabiru 3300

2020 Pitts Special S-1C
John Hauck

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:05 pm    Post subject: When is balance balanced? Reply with quote

I thought that I was the most distinguished pilot... [Wink]

Kip/Gang:

In my book you are.

john h
mkIII
hauck's holler, alabama

Titus, Alabama
Richard Pike

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: When is balance balanced? Reply with quote

Mike Welch wrote:

I do recall seeing somewhere where one Kolb builder used a balance rod
that was attached to the top of the rudder.

That would probably be me. Stops the "Rudder Pedal Shuffle." But I am not aware of any problem with the elevators. Sounds to me like fixing a problem that doesn't exist.

Sort of like Greenhouse Gases and Global Warming... Next thing you know some twit will be trying to save the polar bears from dihydrogen monoxide...

Richard Pike
MKIII N420P (420ldPoops)

Dan Breitigam

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: When is balance balanced? Reply with quote

Dan the newbie here. So I've got this original Twinstar which I plan to fly with no windshield or fairing.  It has full length ailerons.  Should I balance them?  I'm not quite ready to deploy my brand new Second Chantz chute yet.

Dan

Mike Welch

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:46 pm    Post subject: When is balance balanced? Reply with quote

Bro Pike,

Yeah, I knew it was you that had the rudder balance rod, I just couldn't find your
pictures of it to confirm.

Dihydrogen monoxide is especially troubling when it is coming at you in solid form,
 the shape of a small compact sphere, thrown by a 12 year old grandkid!

Re: greenhouse gases, and global warming, it seems to me.................nevermind,
I'll just leave this one alone.  he he

Mike Welch 

> Subject: Re: When is balance balanced?
Quote:
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2011 05:13:52 -0700
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com

--> Kolb-List message posted by: "Richard Pike" <richard(at)bcchapel.org>

Mike Welch wrote:
>
>
> I do recall seeing somewhere where one Kolb builder used a balance rod
> that was attached to the top of the rudder.

That would probably be me. Stops the "Rudder Pedal Shuffle." But I am not aware of any problem with the elevators. Sounds to me like fixing a problem that doesn't exist.

Sort of like Greenhouse Gases and Global Warming... Next thing you know some twit will be trying to save the polar bears from dihydrogen monoxide...

Richard Pike
MKIII N420P (420ldPoops)

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=337974#337974

&======================

&gt============
[quote]

Quote:
[b]

Herb Graff

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:47 pm    Post subject: When is balance balanced? Reply with quote

Hi Dan,

As a general safety principle, all control surfaces should be balanced. Go to your local airport and check the aircraft there, all having balanced controls (at least all the commercial ones). If you are in a quandary whether to balance, you actually know already what the safe insurance is. I seem to recall both aileron as well rudder flutter instances reported for the Mark III, in each case unbalanced. One pilot reported he could take out incipient rudder flutter by pressing hard on both rudder pedals. Which brings us, as far as I know of, to no reported instances of elevator flutter. Reason for that may be the connected weight/inertia of tight(er) cables to the control column all leading to a dampening of an incipient oscillation.

Herb Graff
Mark III, N246KT

In a message dated 4/24/2011 5:01:17 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, dbrtgm(at)me.com writes:
Quote:

Dan the newbie here. So I've got this original Twinstar which I plan to fly with no windshield or fairing. Â It has full length ailerons. Â Should I balance them? Â I'm not quite ready to deploy my brand new Second Chantz chute yet.

Dan

[quote][b]

Mike Welch

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:48 pm    Post subject: When is balance balanced? Reply with quote

> Dan the newbie here. So I've got this original Twinstar which I plan to fly with no windshield or fairing.  It has full length ailerons.  Should I balance them?  I'm not quite ready to deploy my brand new Second Chantz chute yet.
Quote:

Dan

Hi Dan,

I am NOT an expert (although there are some pretty good ones on this list), but
one thing I have heard is 'YES', balance your ailerons.

I would suggest you get ahold of Travis or Bryan at Kolb Aircraft, and see what they
can do for you.

Mike Welch
MkIII (in the process of installing aileron blances)

[quote][b]

Dan Breitigam

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:51 pm    Post subject: When is balance balanced? Reply with quote

Dan the newbie here. So I've got this original Twinstar which I plan to fly with no windshield or fairing. It has full length ailerons. Should I balance them? I'm not quite ready to deploy my brand new Second Chantz chute yet.

Dan

Chattanooga
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: