Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Baggage door opening...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV8-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bjudge(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 7:50 pm    Post subject: Baggage door opening... Reply with quote

Greetings Fellow RV-8 drivers,
This one goes in the fessing up for the greater good category.
Today I flew back home from Las Vegas(Henderson) to Gillespie field in San Diego.  I was tooling along at 12,500 fat, dumb and happy as they say when I realized that my baggage door latch was hanging out in the slipstream. It usually isn't visible. I've got an after market carbon fiber door and it has a latch that is somewhat different from the standard door but all the same, I think this could easily happen to a standard RV-8 door.

So I knew well in advance that my baggage door would probably open on landing due to different airflow and sure enough, below about 80 knots the thing opened. Adding throttle would close it but interestingly a slip with right rudder didn't close it. 

I landed as uneventfully as possible. There was no damage to the door or plane.
The latch has been very dependable for 600 hrs so I must have left it open.
Lesson for everyone: the plane won't fall out of the sky if the front baggage door comes open.
Lesson for me: Check the baggage latch dummy.
Bill Judge
N84WJ, RV-8 600 hrs.
rv-8.blogspot.com

[quote][b]

- The Matronics RV8-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV8-List
Matt Dralle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 8:21 pm    Post subject: Baggage door opening... Reply with quote

Thanks for the pirep, Bill.

I took off with the keys still in the baggage door lock once. It was latched, but still, the keys banging around make quite a racket. Thankfully, they didn't come out of the lock or I'd of never found them! Smile

Matt
At 08:47 PM 5/1/2011 Sunday, you wrote:
Quote:

Today I flew back home from Las Vegas(Henderson) to Gillespie field in San Diego. I was tooling along at 12,500 fat, dumb and happy as they say when I realized that my baggage door latch was hanging out in the slipstream. It usually isn't visible. I've got an after market carbon fiber door and it has a latch that is somewhat different from the standard door but all the same, I think this could easily happen to a standard RV-8 door.

So I knew well in advance that my baggage door would probably open on landing due to different airflow and sure enough, below about 80 knots the thing opened. Adding throttle would close it but interestingly a slip with right rudder didn't close it.

Lesson for everyone: the plane won't fall out of the sky if the front baggage door comes open.

Bill Judge
N84WJ, RV-8 600 hrs.
<http://rv-8.blogspot.com>rv-8.blogspot.com

Matt G Dralle | Matronics | 581 Jeannie Way | Livermore | CA | 94550
925-606-1001 V | 925-606-6281 F | dralle(at)matronics.com Email
http://www.matronics.com/ WWW | Featuring Products For Aircraft

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

tcone1(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 8:48 pm    Post subject: Baggage door opening... Reply with quote

You should also be thankful it wasn't on a formation flight...there's a
callsign in there somewhere.
---

rice737(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 5:03 am    Post subject: Baggage door opening... Reply with quote

Good to know.  My policy is to never, never take the keys out of the baggage door while it is open or unlock.  My ignition key is on the same ring, so there is know way for me to leave it unlock and start the engine at the same time.      I hope!!!

Date: Sun, 1 May 2011 20:47:22 -0700
Subject: Baggage door opening...
To: rv8-list(at)matronics.com

Today I flew back home from Las Vegas(Henderson) to Gillespie field in San Diego.  I was tooling along at 12,500 fat, dumb and happy as they say when I realized that my baggage door latch was hanging out in the slipstream. It usually isn't visible. I've got an after market carbon fiber door and it has a latch that is somewhat different from the standard door but all the same, I think this could easily happen to a standard RV-8 door.

Bill Judge
N84WJ, RV-8 600 hrs.
rv-8.blogspot.com

[quote]

List
A>

[b]

petercowper(at)att.net

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:27 am    Post subject: Baggage door opening... Reply with quote

"I took off with the keys still in the baggage door lock once."
As long as we are giving tips . . . years ago when I was a service station
dealer rep for Union 76, my service station dealers used to put the restroom
keys on items too big to go in customer's pockets. A pink fluffy puffball on
the men's chain tended to always get the key returned.
Pete Cowper
RV8 #81139 (working on cockpit side rails)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV8-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: