Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rotax trouble shooting tip of the day

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roger Lee

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 4:37 pm    Post subject: Rotax trouble shooting tip of the day Reply with quote

Hi All,

Thinking ahead.

I'll give this scenario and see if someone can tell me what the problem is and where to look to solve it. I'll give it a day or two for answers then I'll give the answer to the problem. I was called with this problem the other day and it was solved in about 3 minutes.

You start your engine and go fly and everything seems normal. When you land and turn off the key the engine keeps running at a very slow rpm and it looks and sounds like it is running on one mag. What's wrong and where might you look to find the problem?
p.s.
Don't over think it and start at the most obvious potential solution.

- The Matronics RotaxEngines-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RotaxEngines-List

Light Sport Repairman
Home 520-574-1080 TRY HOME FIRST
Cell 520-349-7056
lucien

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Rotax trouble shooting tip of the day Reply with quote

Roger Lee wrote:
Hi All,

Thinking ahead.

I'll give this scenario and see if someone can tell me what the problem is and where to look to solve it. I'll give it a day or two for answers then I'll give the answer to the problem. I was called with this problem the other day and it was solved in about 3 minutes.

You start your engine and go fly and everything seems normal. When you land and turn off the key the engine keeps running at a very slow rpm and it looks and sounds like it is running on one mag. What's wrong and where might you look to find the problem?
p.s.

to me, sounds like one of the mags can't be grounded anymore (I've had this happen on one of my 2-strokes years ago). That assumes the engine still runs normally when you throttle it up (on the remaining mag)...

I'd start with the kill switches/ignition switch. I.e. see if one of the leads came loose. Then test the switch itself with a meter to see if it's closing properly. I'd go from there, checking the wires and the grounds for continuity until I got to the E box itself for broken ground leads, etc...

That'd be my first plan of attack anyway..

LS

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

m.tucciarone(at)hotmail.c

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 9:06 am    Post subject: Rotax trouble shooting tip of the day Reply with quote

I had this happen to me. Ground wire broken right outside of one of the
ignition modules.
It was kind of funny because I did not know how to shut the engine off. I
called lockwood while the plane was running and since I did not have the
choke connected on this plane, I had to prime it and flood it to shut it
off.

--

ollie6a(at)embarqmail.com

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 9:06 am    Post subject: Rotax trouble shooting tip of the day Reply with quote

I'd say a hung starter solenoid. I luckily caught mine on startup when
the engine happened to stop on startup.

On Sat, May 7, 2011 at 8:37 PM, Roger Lee <ssadiver1(at)yahoo.com> wrote:
Quote:

Hi All,

Thinking ahead.

--------
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
Light Sport Repairman - Maintenance Rated
Rotax Repair Center
Home 520-574-1080  TRY HOME FIRST
Cell 520-349-7056

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=339192#339192

--
Quote:
From Central Florida,
 Ollie

Blumax008(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 9:07 am    Post subject: Rotax trouble shooting tip of the day Reply with quote

Hi Roger,

I'd put the blame on Obama & his cronies. He's probably in there doing something devious or other, you can bet on it! If not, I'd blame the people that voted for him & the people who are related to the people who voted for him. That should cure the problem! You can't blame this on old Sammi this time! He's fish bait!

Happy Mother's Day!

In a message dated 5/7/2011 11:10:38 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, lstavenhagen(at)hotmail.com writes:
Quote:
--> RotaxEngines-List message posted by: "lucien" <lstavenhagen(at)hotmail.com>
Roger Lee wrote:
Quote:
Hi All,

Thinking ahead.

p.s.

to me, sounds like one of the mags can't be grounded anymore (I've had this happen on one of my 2-strokes years ago).

I'd start with the kill switches/ignition switch. I.e. see if one of the leads came loose. Then test the switch itself with a meter to see if it's closing properly. I'd go from there, checking the wires and the grounds for continuity until I got to the E box itself for broken ground leads, etc...

That'd be my first plan of attack anyway..

LS

--------
LS
Titan II SS

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=339193#339193===============================================
_-= = Use utilities Day ================================================ - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS ================================================ - List Contribution Web Site sp; ===================================================

[quote][b]

VIXEN

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 9:26 am    Post subject: Rotax trouble shooting tip of the day Reply with quote

Roger.

I would suspect that it is actually running on one mag. First check I would make is the wiring between the module and the mag switches for continuity.It is possible one of the connector joints came loose. If that did not help I would check the actual switch operation for positive contact and break.

Don Hudgeon

On Sat, May 7, 2011 at 5:37 PM, Roger Lee <ssadiver1(at)yahoo.com (ssadiver1(at)yahoo.com)> wrote:
[quote] --> RotaxEngines-List message posted by: "Roger Lee" <ssadiver1(at)yahoo.com (ssadiver1(at)yahoo.com)>

Hi All,

Thinking ahead.

--------
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
Light Sport Repairman - Maintenance Rated
Rotax Repair Center
Home [url=tel:520-574-1080]520-574-1080[/url] TRY HOME FIRST
Cell [url=tel:520-349-7056]520-349-7056[/url]

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=339192#339192

===========
-List" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RotaxEngines-List
===========
http://forums.matronics.com
===========
le, List Admin.
="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

[b]

Roger Lee

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Rotax trouble shooting tip of the day Reply with quote

Here is the answer to this particular problem. It was a broken white ground wire going into one of the ignition module pin connectors. There is one white ground wire that goes into each plastic pin block and it is in a corner hole on the pin block. I always say something is finger tight, but wrench loose and the same goes for wiring. So unless you grab each wire and look at it from start to finish it may be broken or pinched or chafed against some metal or hanging by a thread causing a poor connection, ect...
Here is the clue that made me tell him where to look first. The plane ran fine at all rpms. Only when he turned the key off it did not want to shut down completely. He said it sounded like it was running on only one ignition module (mag) and of course at a reduced rpm. So it sounded as if one mag was shutting down, but the other was not. So the very first thought should be if one is shutting down why isn’t the other. When you turn the key off it should ground out. So for me the first thing to check before bouncing all over looking with no logical direction was to look at both ground wires since they are easily accessible and usually easy to visualize. While I was talking to this gentleman on the phone telling him which wires to look at he was grabbing one of the white wires and it came out of the plastic pin block at the ignition model broken. He said he just barely tugged it and it was out. This is the ignition ground wire. It was broken up inside the pin block where it was crimped. By replacing the crimp on the end of the wire he was ready in short order. Yes there could have been another problem somewhere else, but the idea here is to start in the most logical and easiest area to inspect first.
I guess the moral of the story is to develop good diagnostic skills and then teach yourself to start at point “A” then to “B” and so on. You need to know where the starting point is and where the most logical problem area is and start from there. Eliminate all the easy most logical points first then you can tear into more hard to reach or costly areas. This approach will save you time, money and aspirin for the headaches.

I hope this story helps someone that may have the same type of engine shut down issue with a starting point for your resolution.

Light Sport Repairman
Home 520-574-1080 TRY HOME FIRST
Cell 520-349-7056
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: