Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Protecting what's your

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Welch

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 6:28 am    Post subject: Protecting what's your Reply with quote

Kolb list guys,

It's interesting that this subject of aircraft theft is now pertinent on this list.
The topic of aircraft security was just brought up on the Aeroelectric list
a few days ago.

My advice is; take the time to make a few official looking signs that advise
ALL who enter into the areas they are being video taped!!!  You don't even
need to actually tape them.....just put the fear of God in them that the are
on camera!!

My sign would read as follows;

ATTENTION!!

YOU ARE BEING TAPED BY A HIDDEN CAMERA SURVEILLANCE
SYSTEM.  REMAINING IN THIS AREA FOR MORE THAN 3 MINUTES
ACTIVATES A MODEM TO NOTIFY POLICE.

YOU HAVE 2 1/2 MINUTES BEFORE THE POLICE ARE CONTACTED
WITH THIS LOCATION!!  GOOD BYE!!

You don't actually have to have cameras.  All you need to do is make them THINK you have
cameras!!  You can make a super easy, motion detecting, flashing LED light attention getter!
  Picture yourself as a thief....you walk up to a hangar, airplane, car....whatever, and a
motion light starts flashing and lights up illuminating that sign.  There's only two ways they
would stay there; no way & no how!!

BTW, the thief that took your engine KNEW what you had!!  He is going to be a local airport
bum, guaranteed!
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Dennis Thate

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Protecting what's your Reply with quote

"BTW, the thief that took your engine KNEW what you had!!� He is going to be a local airport
bum, guaranteed! "

[quote][b]
I'm not so sure that is accurate, Ralph's U-Tube video was a great advertisement for a motivated theft ring....as it showed his hanger and airport. When I post my first U-Tube Video it will be scant on location details. I will invest in a security camera as well.... Lesson Learned !

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

HShack(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:29 am    Post subject: Protecting what's your Reply with quote

Harbor Freight recently had a system with 4 cameras, a monitor, and a DVR for cheap [maybe less than $200].

A while back, I called a local alarm company and got them to give me about 10 old cameras with mounts that had been removed from a bank. We installed them all over our field [dummy cameras] along with a bunch of warning signs. It has worked so far.

Shack

do not archive

In a message dated 5/18/2011 1:42:24 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, retroman(at)frontier.com writes:
Quote:
I will invest in a security camera as well.... Lesson Learned !

[quote][b]

Mike Welch

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 1:20 pm    Post subject: Protecting what's your Reply with quote

Shack, Kolb guys,

Years ago I owned a "Tire & Brake" business.  Harbor Freight sells fake
security cameras, with a red blinking LED light on the front.  I mounted
a couple of them on the outside of my shop.  Never had a problem.

I'm sure if Ralph and his buddy had a couple of these fakes mounted in
plain view, we wouldn't be having this converstion!  : (

IIRC, those make-believe cameras were only a few dollars, maybe $10 ea.
I still maintain, a couple of these cameras and a few of those 'official' looking
warning signs, and you're probably 99.999% covered. 

Mike Welch

Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 15:26:59 -0400
Subject: Re: Re: Protecting what's your
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com

Harbor Freight recently had a system with 4 cameras, a monitor, and a DVR for cheap [maybe less than $200].

A while back, I called a local alarm company and got them to give me about 10 old cameras with mounts that had been removed from a bank.  We installed them all over our field [dummy cameras] along with a bunch of warning signs. It has worked so far.

Shack

do not archive

In a message dated 5/18/2011 1:42:24 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, retroman(at)frontier.com writes:
Quote:
I will invest in a security camera as well.... Lesson Learned !

[quote]

arget=_blank>http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
ttp://forums.matronics.com
=_blank>http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[b]

undoctor

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:26 am    Post subject: Protecting what's your Reply with quote

[quote]
Time: 12:29:44 PM PST USFrom: HShack(at)aol.com (HShack(at)aol.com)Subject: Re: Protecting what's your
Harbor Freight recently had a system with 4 cameras, a monitor, and a DVR
for cheap [maybe less than $200].

A while back, I called a local alarm company and got them to give me about
10 old cameras with mounts that had been removed from a bank. We installed
them all over our field [dummy cameras] along with a bunch of warning
signs. It has worked so far.

Shack

do not archive

List,

My problem was the opposite, leaving rather than taking. I live just over South Mt.
from the city on a dead end road. When I bought the place in '00 I spent days hauling
everything from construction debris to old appliances to the landfill. Since then I've
still put up with jerks sneaking down at night and dumping.

I bought the cameras with blinking lights and mounted them on telephone poles along the
road. They were very effective, but after about a year the batteries die and it's kind
of a hassle to drive my front end loader into the brush, climbing up to the raised bucket,
and taking the cover off the camera to replace the battery.

My property is well populated with hungry deer and I have Nite Guard (amazon.com for about
twenty bucks) solar blinkers which last years around my property, so I relocated a couple
onto the telephone poles by the dummy cameras and now my problem is history. The Nite
Guard devices blink much brighter than the camera lights and they last years, so for me
it's worth the extra money.

Good luck to all who have a problem with the pond scum who steal from or dump on your
property. There must be a special place in hell for such unmitigated arrogance.

Dave Kulp
Bethlehem, PA
FireFly 11DMK
[b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: