Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Poor Man's Cockpit Voice Recorder.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith601-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
psm(at)att.net

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 2:26 pm    Post subject: Poor Man's Cockpit Voice Recorder. Reply with quote

While thinking about flight test on my XL I have been trying to come up with a neat way to record data. The recent NTSB report on the crash in Alaska brought the idea of a cockpit voice recorder to mind. I'm sure the ones used by the airlines are more expensive than a whole Zodiac, but I tried to come up with a lower priced alternative.

It is a normal pocket voice recorder with a cable to plug it into the headset jack intended for the copilot. Since there will be no copilot until phase I testing is completed this is a "Free" jack for attaching the recorder to the intercom.

I don't know if it will work well yet, but here it is anyway for everyone to take shots at . . .

Paul
XL nearing flight test

[img]file:///C:/Users/Paul/Desktop/Poor%20Man%27s%20Cockpit%20Voice%20Recorder.jpg[/img]
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Zenith601-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith601-List
paulrod36(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 3:02 pm    Post subject: Poor Man's Cockpit Voice Recorder. Reply with quote

<?xml:namespace prefix="v" /><?xml:namespace prefix="o" /><![endif]--> No shooting from here; it makes good sense. You may also want to think about a small video camera to mount over-the-shoulder, to monitor your instruments while doing the Vx, Vy, stall speeds and such. Could also be helpful in correlating engine temps with flight regimes.

Paul R
Wish I were that far along
[quote] ---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

psm(at)att.net

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 3:30 pm    Post subject: Poor Man's Cockpit Voice Recorder. Reply with quote

Hi Paul,

I considered some kind of video recording device as well as the voice option. Actually the voice option just came to mind.

Video might be nice, but the voice recorder seems very simple to install and also to use after the recording is made. I really only want performance data and I can "Talk to myself" with the intercom to record things like stall speeds and other critical airspeed data. Video would make a better recording to share with others, but I really want to find a nice way to record data without using a pencil and paper. I just don't have enough hands to fly and write at the same time and I don't think the trim on this very light plane will fly it well enough so I can ignore it for the time it takes to write down data.

I tried to insert a picture of my recorder in the first message and it didn't take. I'll try one more time:

[img]cid:part1.04080400.05050904(at)att.net[/img]

Paul
Camas, WA

On 5/25/2011 3:59 PM, paulrod36(at)msn.com (paulrod36(at)msn.com) wrote: [quote] <?xml:namespace prefix="v" /><?xml:namespace prefix="o" /><![endif]--> No shooting from here; it makes good sense. You may also want to think about a small video camera to mount over-the-shoulder, to monitor your instruments while doing the Vx, Vy, stall speeds and such. Could also be helpful in correlating engine temps with flight regimes.

Paul R
[quote] ---

Poor_Man's_Cockpit_Voice_Recorder.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  75.43 KB
 Viewed:  6936 Time(s)

paulrod36(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 3:45 pm    Post subject: Poor Man's Cockpit Voice Recorder. Reply with quote

<?xml:namespace prefix="v" /><?xml:namespace prefix="o" /><![endif]--> Cool.
[quote] ---

Description:
 Filesize:  75.43 KB
 Viewed:  6936 Time(s)

rsteele(at)rjsit.com

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 5:29 pm    Post subject: Poor Man's Cockpit Voice Recorder. Reply with quote

I've heard of people putting a small mic inside the ear cup of the headset.
On May 25, 2011, at 6:22 PM, Paul Mulwitz wrote:
Quote:
While thinking about flight test on my XL I have been trying to come up with a neat way to record data. The recent NTSB report on the crash in Alaska brought the idea of a cockpit voice recorder to mind. I'm sure the ones used by the airlines are more expensive than a whole Zodiac, but I tried to come up with a lower priced alternative.

It is a normal pocket voice recorder with a cable to plug it into the headset jack intended for the copilot. Since there will be no copilot until phase I testing is completed this is a "Free" jack for attaching the recorder to the intercom.

I don't know if it will work well yet, but here it is anyway for everyone to take shots at . . .

Paul
XL nearing flight test

[img]file:///C:/Users/Paul/Desktop/Poor%20Man%27s%20Cockpit%20Voice%20Recorder.jpg[/img]
Quote:

href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith601-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith601-List
href="http://forums.matronics.com">http://forums.matronics.com
href="http://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[quote][b]

jlatimer1(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 6:39 pm    Post subject: Poor Man's Cockpit Voice Recorder. Reply with quote

Paul,
You could also use the same arrangement with a video recorder. Just plug the headset into the mic input on the recorder or do as someone else suggested place a small mic in your headset.
I used a video recorder and found it to be super useful. I made suction cup mounting device from a dent puller from Harbor Freight. I found the plans on the Internet was able to bring the video home and refly the entire flight while watching all instruments. Using Windows Media play I was able to play the video and get super accurate times for ROC data. These are much more accurate than you'll get with a stop watch in the airplane.
My 2cents
Jerry
601HDS, 912, 94 hours, first conditional completed.

---- Paul Mulwitz <psm(at)att.net> wrote:
Quote:
Hi Paul,

I considered some kind of video recording device as well as the voice option.  Actually the voice option just came to mind.

Video might be nice, but the voice recorder seems very simple to install and also to use after the recording is made.  I really only want performance data and I can "Talk to myself" with the intercom to record things like stall speeds and other critical airspeed data.  Video would make a better recording to share with others, but I really want to find a nice way to record data without using a pencil and paper.  I just don't have enough hands to fly and write at the same time and I don't think the trim on this very light plane will fly it well enough so I can ignore it for the time it takes to write down data.

I tried to insert a picture of my recorder in the first message and it didn't take.  I'll try one more time:

Paul
Camas, WA

On 5/25/2011 3:59 PM, [url=/do/mail/message/mailto?to=paulrod36%40msn.com]paulrod36(at)msn.com[/url] wrote: [quote] No shooting from here; it makes good sense.  You may also want to think about a small video camera to mount over-the-shoulder, to monitor your instruments while doing the Vx, Vy, stall speeds and such. Could also be helpful in correlating engine temps with flight regimes.

Paul R
[quote] ---

psm(at)att.net

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 7:27 pm    Post subject: Poor Man's Cockpit Voice Recorder. Reply with quote

Hi Jerry,

If you plug your headset into the video recorder then how do you talk on the radio?

Paul

On 5/25/2011 7:36 PM, Jerry wrote: [quote]
Paul,
You could also use the same arrangement with a video recorder. Just plug the headset into the mic input on the recorder or do as someone else suggested place a small mic in your headset.
I used a video recorder and found it to be super useful. I made suction cup mounting device from a dent puller from Harbor Freight. I found the plans on the Internet was able to bring the video home and refly the entire flight while watching all instruments. Using Windows Media play I was able to play the video and get super accurate times for ROC data. These are much more accurate than you'll get with a stop watch in the airplane.
My 2cents
Jerry

---- Paul Mulwitz <psm(at)att.net> (psm(at)att.net) wrote:
> Hi Paul,

I considered some kind of video recording device as well as the voice option.  Actually the voice option just came to mind.

Video might be nice, but the voice recorder seems very simple to install and also to use after the recording is made.  I really only want performance data and I can "Talk to myself" with the intercom to record things like stall speeds and other critical airspeed data.  Video would make a better recording to share with others, but I really want to find a nice way to record data without using a pencil and paper.  I just don't have enough hands to fly and write at the same time and I don't think the trim on this very light plane will fly it well enough so I can ignore it for the time it takes to write down data.

I tried to insert a picture of my recorder in the first message and it didn't take.  I'll try one more time:

Paul
Camas, WA

On 5/25/2011 3:59 PM, [url=/do/mail/message/mailto?to=paulrod36%40msn.com]paulrod36(at)msn.com[/url] wrote: [quote] No shooting from here; it makes good sense.  You may also want to think about a small video camera to mount over-the-shoulder, to monitor your instruments while doing the Vx, Vy, stall speeds and such. Could also be helpful in correlating engine temps with flight regimes.

Paul R
[quote] ---

jlatimer1(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 8:08 pm    Post subject: Poor Man's Cockpit Voice Recorder. Reply with quote

You plug the the audio input of the video recorder into the copilot's headset jack with the intercom on.
Jerry
---- Paul Mulwitz <psm(at)att.net> wrote:
Quote:
Hi Jerry,

If you plug your headset into the video recorder then how do you talk on the radio?

Paul

Paul,
My 2cents
Jerry

---- Paul Mulwitz [url=/do/mail/message/mailto?to=psm%40att.net]<psm(at)att.net>[/url] wrote:
Quote:
Hi Paul,

recorder" height="1009" moz-do-not-send="true">

Paul
Camas, WA

Paul R
[quote] ---

psm(at)att.net

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Poor Man's Cockpit Voice Recorder. Reply with quote

OK, I get it.

Same trick, different type of recorder.

Paul

On 5/25/2011 9:05 PM, Jerry wrote: [quote]
You plug the the audio input of the video recorder into the copilot's headset jack with the intercom on.
Jerry
> Hi Jerry,

Paul

Paul,
My 2cents
Jerry

---- Paul Mulwitz [url=/do/mail/message/mailto?to=psm%40att.net]<psm(at)att.net>[/url] wrote:
> Hi Paul,

Paul
Camas, WA

Paul R
[quote] ---

Terry Phillips

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 6:30 am    Post subject: Poor Man's Cockpit Voice Recorder. Reply with quote

Paul

I'm with Jerry on this.

My CFI Velcroed a small video camera on the ceiling of his C150 and recorded flight lessons on a 12V VCR. Now-a-days, digital recording on a laptop would be better. The recording included the headset sound signal, so I had a complete video record of every flight. The camera showed the view out the windshield as well as most of the instrument panel. To compensate for the difference in brightness between the windshield and the panel, he attached a gray filter over the top half of the lens. The resulting videos were very helpful to me when I later reviewed each lesson. The panel wasn't quite readable in the videos, but it was not difficult to interpret the steam gauge readings.

I plan to use a similar setup when I get to phase I testing. You can also use the laptop to record all the data from an EFIS. Someone has written a program to handle that job. Google can probably find a link.

Tinker around a bit and let us know how it works.

Terry

On 5/25/2011 8:36 PM, Jerry wrote: [quote]
Paul,
My 2cents
Jerry

> Hi Paul,

Paul
Camas, WA

Paul R
[quote] ---

Zenith 601XL/Jab 3300 slow build kit - Tail feathers done; working on the wings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith601-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: