Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AFP Injection and RV-8A

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV8-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rvg8tor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:31 pm    Post subject: AFP Injection and RV-8A Reply with quote

I am trying to sort out my mixture and throttle cables. If you have a RV-8A (nose gear) and Air Flow Performance fuel injection, that is vertical induction please message me.

The exhaust hangers (Vetterman cross over) and the supports of the engine mount make this a very troublesome puzzle.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

- The Matronics RV8-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV8-List

Terry Watson

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:05 pm    Post subject: AFP Injection and RV-8A Reply with quote

Here us a link to some photos of what I did a few years ago for that same
combination. I seems to work pretty well, but then again it has never been
in the air either: http://tcwatson.zenfolio.com/p288537335

Terry
RV-8A project - stalled
Seattle

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

rvg8tor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: AFP Injection and RV-8A Reply with quote

Terry,

It looks like you came up with the solution I am getting too. I assume you had the AFP unit sent back to have the mixture control rotation revered to make yours work. My unit came with the rotation from ICO to Rich being Clockwise and it needed to be revered to make the control work with where the cable needed to be located.

Thanks for the pictures. You are the first -8A using both Vert Ind and AFP FI I have seen.

Cheers

Terry Watson

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:41 am    Post subject: AFP Injection and RV-8A Reply with quote

I don't recall having the mixture control rotation reversed. But then it has
been quite awhile - and maybe I have it backwards!

Terry
--

carl.froehlich(at)verizon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:27 pm    Post subject: AFP Injection and RV-8A Reply with quote

My install is very similar to Terry's, except my mixture line is more
vertical. I fabricated the brackets in place and remember I had to use a
couple of pieces of angle riveted together to get the right setup on the
mixture. I was able to use the control cable length by Van's. I also
remember having a nice pile of aluminum scraps and dust from various trials
and errors. You can use some light aluminum sheet to mock up the brackets,
then fabricate from few pieces of 1/8" x 2" x 2" or so angle. Don't worry
about the big size as you will trim off the excess anyway.

Carl Froehlich
RV-8A (650 hrs)
RV-10 (almost ready for fuselage paint)

--

rvg8tor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: AFP Injection and RV-8A Reply with quote

Carl & Terry,

Thanks for the inputs, it is alway nice to know you are on the right track. In the photo you can see prototype #1. I basically went the straight route, this seems to give the best clearance between the exhaust and the mount support. I will put a heat shield on the exhaust and will watch closely, I am a little worried since I don't know how much the engine moves in this area, finding the right clearance seem to be a little of a crap shoot.

Cheers

carl.froehlich(at)verizon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:33 pm    Post subject: AFP Injection and RV-8A Reply with quote

Nice work.

I think I was one of the few people to do the AFP/vertical draft/RV-8A
install - killing four or five weekends in the process.

As I mentioned I ran the mixture cable more vertical, on the inside of the
interfering engine mount pipe (you have yours on the outside). This kept it
away from the exhaust and I didn't need to use the spacer at the end of the
control cable like you have. This did require re-clocking the AFT throttle
body mixture control arm. Just a different way to do it.

Carl

--

rvg8tor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: AFP Injection and RV-8A Reply with quote

Carl,

My first idea was to run the mixture inside the support from what you see in the above picture but once I had the exhaust hung, the hanger gets in the way, this drove me to move it to the outside even though this gets it close to the exhaust pipe. You can just see the black tube of the hanger behind the cleco in the above picture. I just can't see how to hang the exhaust so there is not something in the way of the cables. My throttle cable gets a little close to the hanger on the other side.

I even gave consideration to using and elbow to make the fuel control horizontal, just so I have better options for the control cables but his would require more money and parts and I would have to send the fuel control back to AFP to have the fuel inlet and out let moved. It was already a $150 evolution to reverse the mixture throw.

Do you have the cross over exhaust? If so how did you hang the tail pipes, if you have pictures that would be greatly appreciated.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV8-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: