Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RV-8A Toe In Progress Report

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV8-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robin(at)PaintTheWeb.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:06 pm    Post subject: RV-8A Toe In Progress Report Reply with quote

Upon further investigation and inquiry our toe in situation is profound. We pulled off all the items hung on the gear to take accurate measurements. It turns out there is a 1" over 14" toe in angle/measurement equating to a 4 degree toe in position. Vans calls for no more than 1/2 degree toe in angle/measurement. As we purchased the 8A kit partially built (on it's legs) we then assumed the legs were transposed. Upon pulling off one leg to visualize how it would be reversed we realized that swapping the legs would place the wheels at extreme angles so that was not a possibility. After speaking to Vans (prior to pulling the gear leg) they told us the 7A, 8A & 9A legs are definitely different in geometry. The only thing I can think of at this point is that we have the wrong gear legs for our model. I do not like the idea of re-drilling the gear legs because of how difficult they are to drill and because the offset to the current hole would only be 4 degrees making for an even more challenging machining exercise. We will be calling Vans again later today to discuss. 
Photos attached...
Robin

- The Matronics RV8-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV8-List

Gear_leg_fiasco_001.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  54.51 KB
 Viewed:  2156 Time(s)

Gear_leg_fiasco_001.jpg

Gear_leg_fiasco_002.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  54.03 KB
 Viewed:  2156 Time(s)

Gear_leg_fiasco_002.jpg

Larry Bowen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:27 pm    Post subject: RV-8A Toe In Progress Report Reply with quote

I built an 8 before and am working on a 7 now.  I noticed the same thing when I put the 7 on it's gear a couple months ago.  I concluded it was just the nature of the wittman style gear.  As they take loads from 0 to 2000+ pounds, they sweep out and back.  Staying aligned during this range of operation is impossible.  The bar-type gear on the 8 only flexes out -- making alignment more reasonable.

--
Larry Bowen
Larry(at)BowenAero.com
http://BowenAero.com

On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 4:03 PM, Robin Marks <robin(at)painttheweb.com (robin(at)painttheweb.com)> wrote:
[quote] Upon further investigation and inquiry our toe in situation is profound. We pulled off all the items hung on the gear to take accurate measurements. It turns out there is a 1" over 14" toe in angle/measurement equating to a 4 degree toe in position. Vans calls for no more than 1/2 degree toe in angle/measurement. As we purchased the 8A kit partially built (on it's legs) we then assumed the legs were transposed. Upon pulling off one leg to visualize how it would be reversed we realized that swapping the legs would place the wheels at extreme angles so that was not a possibility. After speaking to Vans (prior to pulling the gear leg) they told us the 7A, 8A & 9A legs are definitely different in geometry. The only thing I can think of at this point is that we have the wrong gear legs for our model. I do not like the idea of re-drilling the gear legs because of how difficult they are to drill and because the offset to the current hole would only be 4 degrees making for an even more challenging machining exercise. We will be calling Vans again later today to discuss. 
Photos attached...
Robin

[b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
craigtxtx(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:07 pm    Post subject: RV-8A Toe In Progress Report Reply with quote

I've concluded its the nature of the design and there is no practical way to adjust it. I have not measured toe-in on my 8A (quick build), but I do know it is there.

My plane tracks well, but I do see much more tire wear than I would expect. I watch tire wear closely, rotate tires as needed, and just figure on buying more tires than other aircraft I've owned in the past.

Craig Gallenbach
Eastover, NC
RV8A N184CG 190 hours

--- On Wed, 6/8/11, Robin Marks <robin(at)PaintTheWeb.com> wrote:

Quote:

Subject: RV-8A Toe In Progress Report
To: rv8-list(at)matronics.com
Date: Wednesday, June 8, 2011, 4:03 PM

Upon further investigation and inquiry our toe in situation is profound. We pulled off all the items hung on the gear to take accurate measurements. It turns out there is a 1" over 14" toe in angle/measurement equating to a 4 degree toe in position. Vans calls for no more than 1/2 degree toe in angle/measurement. As we purchased the 8A kit partially built (on it's legs) we then assumed the legs were transposed. Upon pulling off one leg to visualize how it would be reversed we realized that swapping the legs would place the wheels at extreme angles so that was not a possibility. After speaking to Vans (prior to pulling the gear leg) they told us the 7A, 8A & 9A legs are definitely different in geometry. The only thing I can think of at this point is that we have the wrong gear legs for our model. I do not like the idea of re-drilling the gear legs because of how difficult they are to drill and because the offset to the current hole would only be 4 degrees making for an even more challenging machining exercise. We will be calling Vans again later today to discuss.
Photos attached...
Robin

[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV8-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: