Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need Airport/Sightsee advice "Best of the East"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim Olson

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:29 pm    Post subject: Need Airport/Sightsee advice "Best of the East" Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm perhaps headed East for vacation with the kids, and need
some recommendations for airports to stay at and sights near
those airports in some cases. The framework is this:

Wisconsin to
West Virginia to
Maryland
<pause to tour washington DC>
Delaware to
Virgina to
North Carolina to
South Carolina
Back Home

I really don't have a defined plan other than I know I'll spend at
least a couple or 3 days in D.C. The other states I'd either
want to just do as a quick stop to have landed there, or as
a short overnight (like to see the beach or something local
and then head out the next day).

The goal is to see D.C. and hit some of the states we haven't
landed in yet, and get the best scenery we can. Somehow
if I could shoehorn a landing in New York, that would be
cool too.

If you have any favorite airports, places with great FBO's,
cheap gas, convenient tiedowns, and/or cool sights to see
in the area, let me know where to go in that state. I'll
probably only stop at one airport per state, but if I
can build a nice circle trip, I'll be happy.

Thanks in advance!
Tim

--
Tim Olson - RV-10 N104CD
do not archive

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
N777TY

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Need Airport/Sightsee advice Reply with quote

It would be a shame to miss Charleston if you're coming all the way down to SC. You can try CHS (for better ground transportation options). An overnight just to scratch the surface of what to do and what to see down there..

If you're flying through the NC midlands around lunch time, stop by 5NC3 for some tasty pulled pork BBQ...

Enjoy the trip.. sounds like a lot of fun.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Tim Olson

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:26 am    Post subject: Need Airport/Sightsee advice "Best of the East" Reply with quote

These are some great suggestions, thanks!
I am glad I didn't forget Kitty Hawk thanks to this thread.
Thanks to to the offline emails Carl and Mike. I'm in the
middle of throwing together some bags as we just made
our decision of East instead of West a few minutes
ago. We'll be leaving today and probably doing
the route in reverse to allow the weather to pass
through D.C. So for the next couple days I'll be
headed wherever things look good in SC and NC.

Then enroute I'll have to educate myself on the DC
SFRA and figure out which is the best place to come
in from the South.

Tim Olson - RV-10 N104CD
do not archive
On 6/11/2011 8:16 AM, N777TY wrote:
Quote:

It would be a shame to miss Charleston if you're coming all the way down to SC. You can try CHS (for better ground transportation options). An overnight just to scratch the surface of what to do and what to see down there..

If you're flying through the NC midlands around lunch time, stop by 5NC3 for some tasty pulled pork BBQ...

--------
RV-7A
N777TY

coop85(at)verizon.net

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:37 am    Post subject: Need Airport/Sightsee advice "Best of the East" Reply with quote

Tim,
While I haven't tried the touristy part yet, Luray Caverns (KLUA, rev W45) is a great fuel stop but they will also drive you over to the caverns to get out of the heat and see some amazing underground formations. http://www.luraycaverns.com/
Marcus

On Jun 11, 2011, at 10:23 AM, Tim Olson wrote:

Quote:

in from the South.

Tim Olson - RV-10 N104CD
do not archive

>
>
> It would be a shame to miss Charleston if you're coming all the way down to SC. You can try CHS (for better ground transportation options). An overnight just to scratch the surface of what to do and what to see down there..
>
> If you're flying through the NC midlands around lunch time, stop by 5NC3 for some tasty pulled pork BBQ...
>
> Enjoy the trip.. sounds like a lot of fun.
>
> --------
> RV-7A
> N777TY
>
>

partner14

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:40 pm    Post subject: Need Airport/Sightsee advice "Best of the East" Reply with quote

Not sure why anyone would want to fly into the SFRA. I took the course, but then flew into W29, Bay Bridge.... just outside the arc.... really neat airport, and a nice flight there, especially from the south. Cut across the bay to the east side, and it's a beautiful flight. 44 miles to the White House from W29.
Don McDonald

Tim, looked for your number, but couldn't find it... call if you have questions. 682-936-4282

To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Saturday, June 11, 2011 9:23 AM
Subject: Re: Re: Need Airport/Sightsee advice "Best of the East"

--> RV10-List message posted by: Tim Olson <Tim(at)myrv10.com (Tim(at)myrv10.com)>

in from the South.

Tim Olson - RV-10 N104CD
do not archive
Quote:
--> RV10-List message posted by: "N777TY"<microsmurfer(at)yahoo.com (microsmurfer(at)yahoo.com)>

--------
RV-7A
N777TY===

[quote][b]

jbeasley(at)nc.rr.com

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:18 pm    Post subject: Need Airport/Sightsee advice "Best of the East" Reply with quote

As a good North Carolinian I second KFFA and sightseeing at Kill Devil Hills and Kitty Hawk is great for the family. Flying into Leesburg (KFYO) is "relatively" painless for the SFRA and is an excellent executive airport with Hertz onsite. It's a little bit of a hike to downtown DC but nice airport and very good resources.
Jonathan Beasley
Durham, NC (8NC8)
RV-10 -- Tail Cone
From: Don McDonald <building_partner(at)yahoo.com (building_partner(at)yahoo.com)>
Reply-To: <rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)>
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2011 13:37:21 -0700 (PDT)
To: "rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)" <rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)>

Not sure why anyone would want to fly into the SFRA. I took the course, but then flew into W29, Bay Bridge.... just outside the arc.... really neat airport, and a nice flight there, especially from the south. Cut across the bay to the east side, and it's a beautiful flight. 44 miles to the White House from W29.
Don McDonald

Tim, looked for your number, but couldn't find it... call if you have questions. 682-936-4282

To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)
Sent: Saturday, June 11, 2011 9:23 AM

--> RV10-List message posted by: Tim Olson <Tim(at)myrv10.com (Tim(at)myrv10.com)>

Thanks to to the offline emails Carl and Mike.  I'm in the

in from the South.

Tim Olson - RV-10 N104CD
do not archive
Quote:
--> RV10-List message posted by: "N777TY"<microsmurfer(at)yahoo.com (microsmurfer(at)yahoo.com)>

--------
RV-7A
N777TY===

Quote:

www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
com
ronics.com/contribution

[quote][b]

pietflyr(at)bellsouth.net

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:38 am    Post subject: Need Airport/Sightsee advice "Best of the East" Reply with quote

Land at Culpeper VA (CRJ) to call the DC ADIZ and figure out which "gate" to
enter.

Not as bad as it sounds. I took my Pietenpol Air Camper in there a couple
of years ago, and landed at Dulles Int'l (IAD).

Jack Phillips
#40610 Wings
Raleigh, NC

--

cjay

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Need Airport/Sightsee advice Reply with quote

Jack,

With the SFRA, I didn't know you could even fly VFR into Dulles? You just file the SFRA flight plan and then talk to approach? I'll have to try it sometime.
You really flew your Air Camper in?

cjay[/quote]

pietflyr(at)bellsouth.net

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:14 pm    Post subject: Need Airport/Sightsee advice "Best of the East" Reply with quote

Yes, you've got to have a transponder and radio, and you have to get a clearance just like going into Class B, but it can be done. If you're instrument rated it is actually easier to go in on an instrument flight plan. VFR is a bit of a pain.

Let me caution you that they haven't got a clue about little airplanes there. I landed and got it stopped in about 400', but went just past the first turnoff. The next taxiway was over a mile down the runway. I'm probably the only pilot who ever asked Dulles tower for permission to turn around and back-taxi to the turnoff, but they granted it.

We parked with several other planes for the night at Dulles Jet Service (we had all been invited to bring our planes to the Udvar-Hazy Museum for their Be a Pilot Family Day). Dulles Jet had acres of concrete, without a tie-down in sight. My Pietenpol has 21" wheels (I'm flying it to Oshkosh if you want to see it) and with thunderstorms forecast for that evening I was not comfortable just leaving it chocked overnight. I inquired about putting it in the hangar and was told "$198". I said I just needed it for a night - not the whole month. That WAS the price for one night.

I remarked that with those big wheels my 700 lb airplane would hop a chock in a heartbeat, but I guess it wouldn't blow into that Gulfstream over there. When I got there the next morning, my plane was in a hangar - no charge.

[img]cid:image002.jpg(at)01CC2923.9A18C310[/img]

Jack Phillips
Pietenpol Air Camper NX899JP
RV-10 #40610 Wings
Raleigh, NC

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of cjay
Sent: Sunday, June 12, 2011 1:50 PM
Subject: Re: Need Airport/Sightsee advice "Best of the East"

--> RV10-List message posted by: "cjay" <cgfinney(at)yahoo.com>

Jack,

With the SFRA, I didn't know you could even fly VFR into Dulles? You just file the SFRA flight plan and then talk to approach? I'll have to try it sometime.

cjay[/quote]

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=342790#342790

image002.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  27.53 KB
 Viewed:  11691 Time(s)

image002.jpg

thane

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:41 pm    Post subject: Need Airport/Sightsee advice "Best of the East" Reply with quote

Also remember that you do have to go online and take a TEST in order to fly within 60 n.m. of KDCA. And then of course either file a special VFR flight plan or file IFR to go within the 30 n.m. radius of KDCA. The Test is easy, and should only take 45 minutes or so. When I went into Baybridge, East of KBWI, ATC was very helpfull. I came up from the South and just skirted the 30 n.m. arc from KDCA.
Thane
rv-10
180hrs.
[quote] ---

image002.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  27.53 KB
 Viewed:  11686 Time(s)

image002.jpg

Tim Olson

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:44 pm    Post subject: Need Airport/Sightsee advice "Best of the East" Reply with quote

An update for y'all...
The Charleston suggestion was great! We toured the Yorktown today among other things, and tomorrow we're heading North through Kitty Hawk and up to the DC area. We've got a lot of stops along the way. I have to take the SFRA course tonight.
Is it customary to get flight following up the coast at 1000agl past all the restricted airspace in NC, or just do it alone not talking to anyone, staying out of the airspaces?
I'm happy either way....but just want to know what's common.
Looking forward to the trip. Leaning towards Leesburg as the entry point.
Tim

On Jun 12, 2011, at 5:10 PM, "Jack Phillips" <pietflyr(at)bellsouth.net (pietflyr(at)bellsouth.net)> wrote:

Quote:
st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) } <![endif]-->
Yes, you've got to have a transponder and radio, and you have to get a clearance just like going into Class B, but it can be done. If you're instrument rated it is actually easier to go in on an instrument flight plan. VFR is a bit of a pain.

Let me caution you that they haven't got a clue about little airplanes there.  I landed and got it stopped in about 400', but went just past the first turnoff. The next taxiway was over a mile down the runway. I'm probably the only pilot who ever asked Dulles tower for permission to turn around and back-taxi to the turnoff, but they granted it.

We parked with several other planes for the night at Dulles Jet Service (we had all been invited to bring our planes to the Udvar-Hazy Museum for their Be a Pilot Family Day). Dulles Jet had acres of concrete, without a tie-down in sight. My Pietenpol has 21" wheels (I'm flying it to Oshkosh if you want to see it) and with thunderstorms forecast for that evening I was not comfortable just leaving it chocked overnight. I inquired about putting it in the hangar and was told "$198". I said I just needed it for a night - not the whole month. That WAS the price for one night.

I remarked that with those big wheels my 700 lb airplane would hop a chock in a heartbeat, but I guess it wouldn't blow into that Gulfstream over there.  When I got there the next morning, my plane was in a hangar - no charge.

<image002.jpg>

Jack Phillips
RV-10 #40610 Wings
Raleigh, NC

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of cjay
Sent: Sunday, June 12, 2011 1:50 PM
To: [url=mailto:rv10-list(at)matronics.com]rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)[/url]
Subject: Re: Need Airport/Sightsee advice "Best of the East"

--> RV10-List message posted by: "cjay" <cgfinney(at)yahoo.com (cgfinney(at)yahoo.com)>

Jack,

cjay

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=342790#342790

[b]

Tim Olson

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:03 pm    Post subject: Need Airport/Sightsee advice "Best of the East" Reply with quote

Yep, I do intend to get online tonight and take the test, so I
should be ready to go.

If one of you more local guys wants to comment on my
potential route at the end, punch go to
http://runwayfinder.com/
and copy and paste this string into the line:
KWWD; VPAXI; VPACE; BRV; FLUKY; CSN; KLUA; W99; KJYO
Very roughly, this longer version is what I'm kind of thinking
for tomorrow:
KCHS; VPNPO; VPRRS; SUT; 01NC; PMZ; KFFA; KNTU; KMFV; KOXB; KGED; KWWD;
VPAXI; VPACE; BRV; FLUKY; CSN; KLUA; W99; KJYO

..of course, completely avoiding any restricted areas. I'd
rather just avoid them then deal with the constant radio work
to see if they're active or not. If I had flight following it
would be easier, but this routing kind of leaves me to be
fairly free other than when passing by some bigger airports
where I'd have to call approach and/or go out over the ocean
a couple miles.
Tim Olson - RV-10 N104CD

On 6/12/2011 6:38 PM, Thane States wrote:
[quote] Also remember that you do have to go online and take a TEST in order to
fly within 60 n.m. of KDCA. And then of course either file a special VFR
flight plan or file IFR to go within the 30 n.m. radius of KDCA. The
Test is easy, and should only take 45 minutes or so. When I went into
Baybridge, East of KBWI, ATC was very helpfull. I came up from the South
and just skirted the 30 n.m. arc from KDCA.
Thane
rv-10
180hrs.

---

carl.froehlich(at)verizon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:52 pm    Post subject: Need Airport/Sightsee advice "Best of the East" Reply with quote

Flying along the East Coast or Outer Banks I normally use flight following. No need to stay low from Charleston to FFA. Stay east of the areas around Cherry Point as those areas tend to be hot.

FFA to JYO - file for the SFRA before you leave FFA, giving them an estimated arrival time at the JYO entry point. Stay south and west outside the SFRA until you get to the JYO entry point. Reminder that you will need to say under the Dulles (IAD) class B as your come up from the south. Here is the link: http://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/detail_0_4965.html

An alternative is to stay out of the SFRA and land at Stafford Regional (RMN). Various hotels and B&Bs available in Fredericksburg and you can ride the VRE train downtown.

Currituck, NC (ONX) has the best fuel price around and is right on your flight path. Top off there before you get hit in the wallet at JYO.

Carl

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Tim Olson
Sent: Sunday, June 12, 2011 7:42 PM

An update for y'all...

The Charleston suggestion was great! We toured the Yorktown today among other things, and tomorrow we're heading North through Kitty Hawk and up to the DC area. We've got a lot of stops along the way. I have to take the SFRA course tonight.

Is it customary to get flight following up the coast at 1000agl past all the restricted airspace in NC, or just do it alone not talking to anyone, staying out of the airspaces?

Tim

On Jun 12, 2011, at 5:10 PM, "Jack Phillips" <pietflyr(at)bellsouth.net (pietflyr(at)bellsouth.net)> wrote:
[quote]

Let me caution you that they haven't got a clue about little airplanes there. I landed and got it stopped in about 400', but went just past the first turnoff. The next taxiway was over a mile down the runway. I'm probably the only pilot who ever asked Dulles tower for permission to turn around and back-taxi to the turnoff, but they granted it.

I remarked that with those big wheels my 700 lb airplane would hop a chock in a heartbeat, but I guess it wouldn't blow into that Gulfstream over there. When I got there the next morning, my plane was in a hangar - no charge.

<image002.jpg>

Jack Phillips
RV-10 #40610 Wings
Raleigh, NC

--

carl.froehlich(at)verizon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:54 pm    Post subject: Need Airport/Sightsee advice "Best of the East" Reply with quote

I meant stay west of the areas around Cherry Point.

From: Carl Froehlich [mailto:carl.froehlich(at)verizon.net]
Sent: Sunday, June 12, 2011 8:49 PM
To: 'rv10-list(at)matronics.com'
Subject: RE: Re: Need Airport/Sightsee advice "Best of the East"

Flying along the East Coast or Outer Banks I normally use flight following. No need to stay low from Charleston to FFA. Stay east of the areas around Cherry Point as those areas tend to be hot.

FFA to JYO - file for the SFRA before you leave FFA, giving them an estimated arrival time at the JYO entry point. Stay south and west outside the SFRA until you get to the JYO entry point. Reminder that you will need to say under the Dulles (IAD) class B as your come up from the south. Here is the link: http://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/detail_0_4965.html

An alternative is to stay out of the SFRA and land at Stafford Regional (RMN). Various hotels and B&Bs available in Fredericksburg and you can ride the VRE train downtown.

Currituck, NC (ONX) has the best fuel price around and is right on your flight path. Top off there before you get hit in the wallet at JYO.

Carl

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Tim Olson
Sent: Sunday, June 12, 2011 7:42 PM

An update for y'all...

Tim

[quote]

<image002.jpg>

Jack Phillips
RV-10 #40610 Wings
Raleigh, NC

--

Tim Olson

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:27 pm    Post subject: Need Airport/Sightsee advice "Best of the East" Reply with quote

Great tips again!

I probably won't be going into JYO tomorrow unless I get
ahead of schedule. We don't generally make reservations
anywhere because we don't know when we'll get in. That's
just the point we'll try to use to get into DC.

Regarding the outer banks, and the staying low...part of
the staying low is just for sightseeing. It passes the time
quick when you see all the stuff up close. Regarding the
outer banks though, I see these VFR waypoints:
VPATO
VPOKY
VPGHI
VPUMO
VPWZO

It looks like these are actually specifically designed to
give you waypoints to use to route around the restricted
areas, over the outer banks, so that you stay out of their
hair. Doesn't that seem to be the case? So if I did that,
I could get a great coastal tour and end up at KFFA.
The only thing I see as a difference is that it looks like
a lot of marine conservation area, so I'd have to be at
2000' not 1000'

This was my original route:
KCHS; VPNPO; VPRRS; SUT; 01NC; PMZ; KFFA; KNTU; KMFV; KOXB; KGED; KWWD;
VPAXI; VPACE; BRV; FLUKY; CSN; KLUA; W99; KJYO
This is the coastal route:
KCHS; VPNPO; VPRRS; SUT; 01NC; EWN; VPATO; VPOKY; VPGHI; VPUMO; VPWZO;
KFFA; KONX; KNTU; KMFV; KOXB; KGED; KWWD; VPAXI; VPACE; BRV; FLUKY; CSN;
KLUA; W99; KJYO

Thanks for the tip on KRMN. I might keep that in my back
pocket because if we get pressed for time, that would
be a good stopping place along our route.

As you can see by the routing, we're going to try to have
landed in SC, NC, VA, DE, MD, NJ, and WV on this trip...and
by tomorrow if I'm lucky I'll have been on the ground in
all of them.

Tim Olson - RV-10 N104CD
do not archive
On 6/12/2011 7:48 PM, Carl Froehlich wrote:
[quote] Flying along the East Coast or Outer Banks I normally use flight
following. No need to stay low from Charleston to FFA. Stay east of the
areas around Cherry Point as those areas tend to be hot.

FFA to JYO - file for the SFRA before you leave FFA, giving them an
estimated arrival time at the JYO entry point. Stay south and west
outside the SFRA until you get to the JYO entry point. Reminder that you
will need to say under the Dulles (IAD) class B as your come up from the
south. Here is the link: http://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/detail_0_4965.html

An alternative is to stay out of the SFRA and land at Stafford Regional
(RMN). Various hotels and B&Bs available in Fredericksburg and you can
ride the VRE train downtown.

Currituck, NC (ONX) has the best fuel price around and is right on your
flight path. Top off there before you get hit in the wallet at JYO.

Carl

[mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] *On Behalf Of *Tim Olson
*Sent:* Sunday, June 12, 2011 7:42 PM
*To:* rv10-list(at)matronics.com
*Subject:* Re: Re: Need Airport/Sightsee advice "Best of the
East"

An update for y'all...

The Charleston suggestion was great! We toured the Yorktown today among
other things, and tomorrow we're heading North through Kitty Hawk and up
to the DC area. We've got a lot of stops along the way. I have to take
the SFRA course tonight.

Is it customary to get flight following up the coast at 1000agl past all
the restricted airspace in NC, or just do it alone not talking to
anyone, staying out of the airspaces?

Tim
On Jun 12, 2011, at 5:10 PM, "Jack Phillips" <pietflyr(at)bellsouth.net
<mailto:pietflyr(at)bellsouth.net>> wrote:

Yes, you've got to have a transponder and radio, and you have to get
a clearance just like going into Class B, but it can be done. If
you're instrument rated it is actually easier to go in on an
instrument flight plan. VFR is a bit of a pain.

Let me caution you that they haven't got a clue about little
airplanes there. I landed and got it stopped in about 400', but went
just past the first turnoff. The next taxiway was over a mile down
the runway. I'm probably the only pilot who ever asked Dulles tower
for permission to turn around and back-taxi to the turnoff, but they
granted it.

We parked with several other planes for the night at Dulles Jet
Service (we had all been invited to bring our planes to the
Udvar-Hazy Museum for their Be a Pilot Family Day). Dulles Jet had
acres of concrete, without a tie-down in sight. My Pietenpol has 21"
wheels (I'm flying it to Oshkosh if you want to see it) and with
thunderstorms forecast for that evening I was not comfortable just
leaving it chocked overnight. I inquired about putting it in the
hangar and was told "$198". I said I just needed it for a night -
not the whole month. That WAS the price for one night.

I remarked that with those big wheels my 700 lb airplane would hop a
chock in a heartbeat, but I guess it wouldn't blow into that
Gulfstream over there. When I got there the next morning, my plane
was in a hangar - no charge.

<image002.jpg>

Jack Phillips

RV-10 #40610 Wings

Raleigh, NC

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: