Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tail wheel stops on the monowheel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
budyerly(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:44 pm    Post subject: Tail wheel stops on the monowheel Reply with quote

<?xml:namespace prefix="v" /><?xml:namespace prefix="o" /><![endif]--> Gentlemen,
Two recent ground loops have occurred to proficient pilots.
In both cases the tail wheel had no stop installed or it had failed previously during ground operations and was not repaired. In the course of the landing and rollout, during a bounce and heading excursion the tail wheel went well beyond 45 degrees of course and control was lost on landing rollout which resulted in an outrigger grabbing and during the ground loop the tips of the prop were damaged when tail rise occurred.

One pilot insisted the tail wheel actually spun forward at low speed. Some older incidents indicate thatd without the limiter, other low speed ground loops have occurred as the tail wheel control was lost. Europa has always maintained that the limiter was necessary. Some have insisted that a limiter was not necessary and or a swivel tail wheel was preferred. Ground handling incidents indicate that the safer course is to install the limiter as described in the manual.

Bottom line:

The mono needs a limiter on the tail wheel to preclude loss of control. Either the Europa supplied spring pin limiter or a Graham Singleton stop should be used.

Taxi, landing, and takeoff without the limiter may cause loss of control.

To prevent tail wheel limiter damage, the aircraft should not be pushed backwards as the tail wheel hollow shaft will contact the spring pin and eventually the spring pin can be damaged and fail. Without a spring pin limiter, the tail wheel can be flipped around and cause the tail wheel springs to be stretched and fail especially when pushing the aircraft backwards. Use a proper tail wheel trolley to pull the aircraft backwards.

On a similar note:
Should the tail wheel spring arm be installed about 2 inches higher than the manual described, the tail wheel geometry will actually drive the rudder and flick the tail wheel around when passing 60 degrees causing the tail wheel to restrict rudder movement and a loss of control will occur.

I have voiced my opinion on the spring pin used in the tail wheel was not as robust as I would like and should be inspected annually, but the Graham Singleton V block works great and is pretty much full proof. Either way, please install the limiter, as without it, it is just a matter of time before a potential loss of control may occur during ground operations.

Regards,
Bud Yerly
Europa Tech Support
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
kingsnjan(at)westnet.com.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:19 pm    Post subject: Tail wheel stops on the monowheel Reply with quote

Bud,

You said:
"Should the tail wheel spring arm be installed about 2 inches higher than the manual described, the tail wheel geometry will actually drive the rudder and flick the tail wheel around when passing 60 degrees causing the tail wheel to restrict rudder movement and a loss of control will occur."

Sorry but I'm not sure exactly what you mean . . . . are you saying that if the rear most part of the tailwheel spring is higher (rear of fuselage lower) or rear most part of the tailwheel sping is lower (rear of fuselage higher) ?

Thanks
Kingsley in Oz

[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

budyerly(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:00 am    Post subject: Tail wheel stops on the monowheel Reply with quote

<?xml:namespace prefix="v" /><?xml:namespace prefix="o" /><![endif]--> Kingsley,
Look on the diagram for the tail wheel installation Chapter 23M-7 figure 10. There are some who have expressed interest in reducing the tail wheel from the 9.25 inches to say 7 inches to get a higher deck angle.
Do not do this as the geometry of the tail wheel is changed significantly. Stick with the manual or buy and test your own tail wheel and set the geometry with this new gear to allow the rudder to drive the tail wheel, prevent excess castor and proper rudder to tailwheel geometry so when the tail wheel turns, it does not jam or cause the tail wheel cable to pull the rudder uncommanded...

Regards,
Bud
[quote] ---

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:47 pm    Post subject: Tail wheel stops on the monowheel Reply with quote

Many thanks Bud.

Kingsley

do not archive
[quote] ---

jrgowing(at)bigpond.net.a

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:57 pm    Post subject: Tail wheel stops on the monowheel Reply with quote

Kingsley
I have been looking to try to see a drawing of the tailwheel area to see what people are wanting to lower– if you have that drawing at hand in your computer you might send me a copy – but do not waste your own time getting it up – just say you have not got it there.
JR
From: owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Bud Yerly
Sent: Thursday, 16 June 2011 12:56 AM
To: europa-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Tail wheel stops on the monowheel

Kingsley,

Look on the diagram for the tail wheel installation Chapter 23M-7 figure 10. There are some who have expressed interest in reducing the tail wheel from the 9.25 inches to say 7 inches to get a higher deck angle.

Do not do this as the geometry of the tail wheel is changed significantly. Stick with the manual or buy and test your own tail wheel and set the geometry with this new gear to allow the rudder to drive the tail wheel, prevent excess castor and proper rudder to tailwheel geometry so when the tail wheel turns, it does not jam or cause the tail wheel cable to pull the rudder uncommanded...

Regards,

Bud
[quote]
---

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:27 am    Post subject: Tail wheel stops on the monowheel Reply with quote

Apparently some people want to lower the tail of the aircraft a bit Bob but I don't know what they hope to achieve. It would make it that much harder to see over the nose which is already hard enough.

I don't have any drawing other than the instructions that came from Europa on how to set up the tail wheel spring rod. I did mine as per the book as I suspect you did too.

Don't worry about all this stuff Bob. Quite often, the list gets a subject that everybody expounds upon and all it does is serve as a distraction from what we should be doing.

We have just been away again for the last 3 days to see the house. It is almost finished . . . . basically only the light fittings and switches to be installed now. Hopefully, construction will start on the hangar this week.

I finish up at work on Thursday 30 June and start my long holiday. I have enough leave to carry me through until March of next year but I will officially resign before then. You are going to have to start thinking about a trip up to see our new "Love Shack" mate !

Chat again soon.

K

[quote] ---

grahamsingleton(at)btinte

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:13 am    Post subject: Tail wheel stops on the monowheel Reply with quote

Kingsley
I don't see any point in lowering the deck angle either. One adverse effect will be to reduce the -ve angle of attack of the tailplane. And that will reduce the download which you need to hold the tailwheel hard down to give steering when the rudder starts to get tired, which it does below around 20 kts. The rudder will probably stall at full deflection around this speed. Less steering authority.
Graham

Sent: Sunday, 26 June, 2011 12:22:45

Apparently some people want to lower the tail of the aircraft a bit Bob but I don't know what they hope to achieve. It would make it that much harder to see over the nose which is already hard enough.

I don't have any drawing other than the instructions that came from Europa on how to set up the tail wheel spring rod. I did mine as per the book as I suspect you did too.

Don't worry about all this stuff Bob. Quite often, the list gets a subject that everybody expounds upon and all it does is serve as a distraction from what we should be doing.

We have just been away again for the last 3 days to see the house. It is almost finished . . . . basically only the light fittings and switches to be installed now. Hopefully, construction will start on the hangar this week.

I finish up at work on Thursday 30 June and start my long holiday. I have enough leave to carry me through until March of next year but I will officially resign before then. You are going to have to start thinking about a trip up to see our new "Love Shack" mate !

Chat again soon.

K

[quote] ---

jrgowing(at)bigpond.net.a

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:20 pm    Post subject: Tail wheel stops on the monowheel Reply with quote

K
I am not changing the Singleton Tailwheel from what I have now!
Thank you for the invitation to come up there again – I am keeping it ready for the next opportunity………
Best Wishes to you and Janet!

JR

From: owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Kingsley Hurst
Sent: Sunday, 26 June 2011 9:23 PM

Chat again soon.

K

[quote]
---

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:57 pm    Post subject: Tail wheel stops on the monowheel Reply with quote

Apologies all . . . . last email was obviously not meant to go to the list.

Anyway, you all now know what I'm up to.

Cheers
Kingsley
[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: