Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to hide anti-rotation keyway holes?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
plevyakh

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 7:19 am    Post subject: How to hide anti-rotation keyway holes? Reply with quote

I'm working on my instrument panel and looking at my switch layout and was wondering what others have done to hide the .125" anti-rotation keyway washer holes on a standard S700 Carling switch?

I would like to avoid having to make up a separate face plate over top of my aluminum switch plate.

Does one NOT drill the keyway hole all the way thru the panel insert?

Does one eliminate the keyway hole and just use loctite on the threads?

Can I just fill the keyway hole with something and apply the paint and then switch label overtop?

How do the professional panel shops deal with this?

TIA,

Howard

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

wschertz(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 7:37 am    Post subject: How to hide anti-rotation keyway holes? Reply with quote

One way is to take a piece of .032 aluminum strip that spans several switches, drill the hole for the strip, and the keyway hole, and install it BEHIND the panel with the lock tab facing the switch panel. Invisible and fairly easy.

Bill Schertz
---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

jay(at)horriblehyde.com

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:13 am    Post subject: How to hide anti-rotation keyway holes? Reply with quote

I’ve made a couple of panels now and use 2mm thick aluminium plate for the panel and drill from behind only 1mm deep, which provides plenty of grip for the tab.

Jay

From: owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of wschertz(at)comcast.net
Sent: 16 May 2011 05:34 PM
To: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: How to hide anti-rotation keyway holes?

One way is to take a piece of .032 aluminum strip that spans several switches, drill the hole for the strip, and the keyway hole, and install it BEHIND the panel with the lock tab facing the switch panel. Invisible and fairly easy.

Bill Schertz
---

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 11:15 am    Post subject: How to hide anti-rotation keyway holes? Reply with quote

At 11:19 AM 5/16/2011, you wrote:
Quote:

I'm working on my instrument panel and looking at my switch layout
and was wondering what others have done to hide the .125"
anti-rotation keyway washer holes on a standard S700 Carling switch?

I would like to avoid having to make up a separate face plate over
top of my aluminum switch plate.

Okay, then instead of making an overlay to take your
switch placards and hide holes in the panel, make as
switch underlay sheet to go BEHIND the panel and
provide holes for the anti-rotation washers which are
also on the back of the panel.

Quote:
Does one NOT drill the keyway hole all the way thru

If your panel is thick enough, you can drill 'divots'
on the back side deep enough so that the hole has
just reached the full diameter of the bit. Then take
a second bit of the same size that you've converted to
a 'spot facer' by grinding it flat. Use this to
flatten the bottom of your tab hole. You may have to
shorten the tab on the washer a bit. This plan is
much more labor intensive. The underlayment sheet
seems a faster and cleaner options.
Quote:
Does one eliminate the keyway hole and just use loctite on the threads?

Please don't.

Quote:
Can I just fill the keyway hole with something and apply the paint
and then switch label overtop?

Something like JB Weld could be used as a robust
"body putty" . ..

Quote:
How do the professional panel shops deal with this?

I've always used and overlay placard . . . usually
an engraved plastic produced by a sign and badge
shop. Use it to cover thru-holes for anti-rotation
washers installed on the back side of the panel.
Bob . . .

plevyakh

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: How to hide anti-rotation keyway holes? Reply with quote

Folks,
Thanks for the tips on this. I'll go with the overlay / strip behind the panel. Very helpful. What a great forum we have here!

Howard

pmnewlon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:39 am    Post subject: Re: How to hide anti-rotation keyway holes? Reply with quote

> One way is to take a piece of .032 aluminum strip that spans several switches, drill the hole for the strip, and the keyway hole, and install it BEHIND the panel with the lock tab facing the switch panel. Invisible and fairly easy.
Guess who got stalled for about a week trying to decide how to do this? This past weekend I went ahead and drilled the holes thru on my right arm rest panel. The parts are painted and assembled now so they are staying the way they are. I am so glad I saw this post before I did the instrument panel itself the same way! You guys rock Smile

Phil

Eric M. Jones

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: How to hide anti-rotation keyway holes? Reply with quote

BTW,

Keyway slot DOWN.

It's settled.

Southbridge, MA 01550
(508) 764-2072
emjones(at)charter.net
BobsV35B(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:03 pm    Post subject: How to hide anti-rotation keyway holes? Reply with quote

Good Afternoon Eric,

The problem is that not only are the manufacturers inconsistent within the industry, but they are inconsistent within their own product lines. I ordered CBs for a project last year. All were ordered from the same manufacturer. Obviously, I wanted all of them installed so that I could read the amperage numbers easily.

Most of them had the keyway in the same orientation but many did not. My answer was to drill top and bottom keying holes for all circuit breakers so that they could all have the numbers right side up even though the keyways were in different orientations.

So much for standardization even for Klixon!

Happy Skies,

Old Bob

In a message dated 6/22/2011 12:40:13 P.M. Central Daylight Time, emjones(at)charter.net writes:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "Eric M. Jones" <emjones(at)charter.net>

BTW,

Keyway slot DOWN.

It's settled.

--------
Eric M. Jones
www.PerihelionDesign.com
113 Brentwood Drive
Southbridge, MA 01550
(508) 764-2072
emjones(at)charter.net

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=343788#343788===============================================
_-= = Use utilities Day ================================================ - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS ================================================ - List Contribution Web Site sp;   ===================================================

[quote][b]

BGray(at)glasair.org

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:25 pm    Post subject: How to hide anti-rotation keyway holes? Reply with quote

I would think that the CB’s being jammed cheek to jowl, (at least they are on my panel), would make rotation impossible and the washers unnecessary.

Bruce
WWW.Glasair.org

--

mrspudandcompany(at)veriz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:59 pm    Post subject: How to hide anti-rotation keyway holes? Reply with quote

BTW,

Keyway slot DOWN.

It's settled.

--------
Eric M. Jones
Perhaps for you, but apparently not for the rest of the
world!!☺
Roger

winmail.dat
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  winmail.dat
 Filesize:  3.27 KB
 Downloaded:  671 Time(s)

BobsV35B(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:21 pm    Post subject: How to hide anti-rotation keyway holes? Reply with quote

Good Afternoon Bruce,

I have no doubt that you are correct and chances are my fears are unfounded, but by using the anti rotation washers, all torque loads are carried by the threaded barrel. If you rely on close proximity of the devices to stop rotation, any torque that is present will be applied to the case. Seems a bit more sanitary to confine that torque to one metal shaft!

Happy Skies,

Old Bob

In a message dated 6/22/2011 3:27:51 P.M. Central Daylight Time, BGray(at)glasair.org writes:
Quote:

I would think that the CB’s being jammed cheek to jowl, (at least they are on my panel), would make rotation impossible and the washers unnecessary.

Bruce
WWW.Glasair.org

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of BobsV35B(at)aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, June 22, 2011 3:57 PM
To: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: How to hide anti-rotation keyway holes?

Good Afternoon Eric,

The problem is that not only are the manufacturers inconsistent within the industry, but they are inconsistent within their own product lines. I ordered CBs for a project last year. All were ordered from the same manufacturer. Obviously, I wanted all of them installed so that I could read the amperage numbers easily.

Most of them had the keyway in the same orientation but many did not. My answer was to drill top and bottom keying holes for all circuit breakers so that they could all have the numbers right side up even though the keyways were in different orientations.

So much for standardization even for Klixon!

Happy Skies,

Old Bob

In a message dated 6/22/2011 12:40:13 P.M. Central Daylight Time, emjones(at)charter.net writes:
Quote:

--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "Eric M. Jones" <emjones(at)charter.net>

BTW,

Keyway slot DOWN.

It's settled.

--------
Eric M. Jones
www.PerihelionDesign.com
113 Brentwood Drive
Southbridge, MA 01550
(508) 764-2072
emjones(at)charter.net

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=343788#343788======================
======================= - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS ======================= - List Contribution Web Site sp;   =
  - The AeroElectric-List Email Forum - --> http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: