Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SC flying video

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mystic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:22 am    Post subject: SC flying video Reply with quote

I'm a long time lurker who feels like he knows the group. I think you guys will like this.

My new friend Shane I and met up by commenting on each other's utube vids. I found out he was about 52m away and I flew over for a visit.

He's got a 503DC Phantom with a power fin prop. We taxied down together and turned around. I then realized what genius Homer is.

You see this '87 5 rib 447 Culver propped Firestar is the only plane I've flown and last Sunday was the first time I'd flown "with" anyone.

When I left my field earlier, I knew the alt/den was going to make my climb rate....modest. I also had my cruise prop on which made following Shane across his "backyard" difficult. Below 5000rpm my rotax begins to fall off the pipe and run a little rough.

After watching the vid, I'm a little ashamed of how much I was monkeying with the throttle to stay behind. I normally set the throttle,
go fly, and don't touch it until I'm coming down.lol

I made due by making S turns and crabbing. Next time we fly, I'll have my climb prop on and we should be close.

After the flight he told me he was at max cruise to try to help me out.

I knew I had a sweet little flyer, but I now have a new appreciation for what a true gift Homer has given us.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ez1V1igEtz0&feature=feedlik

John Tempest
87' Firestar
447 SCSI
Culver Woody(because they sound cooler)

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
slyck(at)frontiernet.net

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:47 am    Post subject: SC flying video Reply with quote

John, you do nice camera work. Your other flix are good too.
BB
MkIII, suzuki

On 13, Jul 2011, at 12:22 PM, Mystic wrote:

Quote:

I'm a long time lurker who feels like he knows the group. I think you guys will like this.

My new friend Shane I and met up by commenting on each other's utube vids. I found out he was about 52m away and I flew over for a visit.

He's got a 503DC Phantom with a power fin prop. We taxied down together and turned around. I then realized what genius Homer is.

You see this '87 5 rib 447 Culver propped Firestar is the only plane I've flown and last Sunday was the first time I'd flown "with" anyone.

When I left my field earlier, I knew the alt/den was going to make my climb rate....modest. I also had my cruise prop on which made following Shane across his "backyard" difficult. Below 5000rpm my rotax begins to fall off the pipe and run a little rough.

After watching the vid, I'm a little ashamed of how much I was monkeying with the throttle to stay behind. I normally set the throttle,
go fly, and don't touch it until I'm coming down.lol

I made due by making S turns and crabbing. Next time we fly, I'll have my climb prop on and we should be close.

After the flight he told me he was at max cruise to try to help me out.

I knew I had a sweet little flyer, but I now have a new appreciation for what a true gift Homer has given us.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ez1V1igEtz0&feature=feedlik

John Tempest
87' Firestar
447 SCSI
Culver Woody(because they sound cooler)

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=346203#346203

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

John Hauck

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:48 am    Post subject: SC flying video Reply with quote

You see this '87 5 rib 447 Culver propped Firestar is the only plane I've
flown and last Sunday was the first time I'd flown "with" anyone.

John Tempest

That brings back some memories in sight and sound.

My second aircraft I built and flew was a 1987 Kolb Firestar, 447 scsi, with
a Jim Culver 60X30 prop. Loved flying that little FS. Wink

john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama

Titus, Alabama
Carolina Flyer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: SC flying video Reply with quote

Hello John,
When you say that your in SC, does that mean that your possibly in South Carolina..... If you are then we are neighbors.... I have a Hanger at the Union County Airport, which I hanger a Kolb Firestar II and a Challenger II Long Wing...... Joe

Rotax 670 DCDI
with a C-Box and
RK 400 Clutch

Challenger II
503 Tall Drive

WhiskeyVictor36(at)aol.co

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject: SC flying video Reply with quote

John T

Very good video! Thanks for sharing. And a sweet little flyer it is. Out-runs them all.

Bill Varnes
Original Kolb FireStar
Audubon NJ
Do Not Archive

In a message dated 7/13/2011 12:25:26 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, cheoah68(at)gmail.com writes:
Quote:

[quote][b]

Richard Pike

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: SC flying video Reply with quote

Nice video. What sort of camera were you using? And what was the frame rate, and did you have it mounted to your headset?

Richard Pike
MKIII N420P (420ldPoops)

Mystic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: SC flying video Reply with quote

Yup that's South Carolina. I'm in Oconee county. Flying out of Tokeena airpark. Run by a retired Colonel. And the hanger fees are cica 1960. You just have to wait for someone to die before you can get in.

I visit an airpark in Williamston called Oakhill often, looks to be halfway to your field. Maybe we could get together sometime over in Union.

My camera is a Kodak playsport, 29 frames per sec. It's mounted to the front of my motorcycle helmet. My sister bought it for my kayaking trips (waterproof), but it's a nice all-rounder.

-John Tempest
Firestar 1

Carolina Flyer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: SC flying video Reply with quote

John,
I would love to meet up with you and the other guy in your video that had the Phantom........ I had a Phantom not long ago, very nice Ultralight, but at the time I had problems storing it.... Presently I am working on my Kolb. I am making Mods to the Cage to handle the extra Power of a Rotax 670 that will replace my 503.... I have talked to the Kolb Factory and I am adding support where they said it is needed.... I am sure many will think that the 670 is over kill, but if it is more power than I need I can put the 503 right back on... The Cage Mod is adding very little weight...

I know one Guy down there in Oconee County that I used to work with when I worked Construction.... He was a real Character, his name is Joey Floyd.... I used to work at Clemson alot, and that was a long Drive, I couldn't afford the cost of Gas to do that anymore..... Anyway keep in touch

I just bought a small Sony Camcorder off of eBay that I hope will work as good as yours work. A Sky-Diver I met uses one on his Helmet and he said it was a good one, a HDR-CX100, and it records internally 8GB, on to a Memory Stick up to 32 GB. I had been using a JVC Hard Drive Camcorder but is is a little on the big size compared to this little Sony Cam........ Joe

Rotax 670 DCDI
with a C-Box and
RK 400 Clutch

Challenger II
503 Tall Drive

Mystic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: SC flying video Reply with quote

Joe,

I went to high school with Joey Floyd. A character indeed.

I'm not familar with the 670, I assume it's in line power wise with the 582? Is it water cooled?

While I would like to get more cruise speed for better cross country trips, I don't want to do it at the expense of increased fuel use. (besides a new motor is way out of my budget) I'd like to look into streamlining my wing struts, and maybe going with smaller/skinny-er tires.

I'm sure Shane (Phantom pilot) would like to get together, he's actually alot closer to you than I am.

We'll have to start planning a fly in sometime soon.

John Tempest
Firestar1

Mystic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: SC flying video Reply with quote

If Homer could have know that I was worried about keeping up with that 503 powered Phantom with that big shiney composite prop, he'd have chuckled. I'm sure.

John Tempest
Firestar 1 447

Carolina Flyer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: SC flying video Reply with quote

Hey John T.

The 670 is the Big Brother to the 618, Water Cooled, Rave Valves, and it has a Rotatory Valve like the 582 has... The HP depends on what Exhaust you use..... If you use the 582 Exhaust you can get over 70 HP, but if you use a 618 Exhaust you can push it up around 100 HP... There is a Guy from around Charlotte that has a 670 turning a 72" Prop on a Phantom, This Guy even does Outside Loops, and it is unbelievable..... He has several video's on You Tube... Just Search (Super Phantom Ultralight)... My 670 has places for two Trigger Coils so I will make it Dual Ignition.... We have found a company that has copied the 618 Exhaust and we can have them made for a reasonable price........ The Beauty of this set-up is that you can cruise at a much lower RPM, and use less gas and make less noise, and of course your putting less stress on the Engine.... Here is a Picture of a 670 on a Quicksilver that a friend of mine has... His name is Rotax Rick, and he sells alot of these Engines..... He has some Tundra Tires that I sell on Barnstormers on his Quicksilver........ Joe

_watermarked_e38474e848891da0c935cce47ec45f33.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  131.22 KB
 Viewed:  9272 Time(s)

_watermarked_e38474e848891da0c935cce47ec45f33.jpg

Rotax 670 DCDI
with a C-Box and
RK 400 Clutch

Challenger II
503 Tall Drive

Mystic

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:23 am    Post subject: Re: SC flying video Reply with quote

Wow! With a set up like that, you should have power to spare. I'm sure it will make flying two up, or carrying a load much safer/practical. I'm a little skeptical about the "use less gas turning less rpm", but would love to be proved wrong. Do let us know what kind of performance and economy you achieve with this set up.

The Phantom aircraft does seem to be a very rugged ship. Although I didn't catch him on camera during our flight, Shane does some very neat barrel rolls, and vertical stalls in his Phantom. He told me my Firestar could do it no problem, but he has a chute, I do not.

I'm content with my setup for now. I'm using less gas (3.6GPH) and cruising a little faster (60-65mph at 5500rpm) than my friend's set up, and out climb him like he's carrying an A-bomb. My little 447 seems to be a solid work horse, and I like only having to fiddle with one carb.

I'd like to one day consider a V-twin from Valley Eng. I know Jimmy Young has been down that road and had little success, but I suspect my plane weighs a good bit less than a Firestar 2 (I'm 325lbs empty), and I've heard that with revised camshaft and pistons, they've found 50 hp in that little 4 stroke.

However, with the girls ready to go school shopping, and birthdays lining up, and a bathroom to remodel, it looks like the 447 will be flying for a long while. I also don't have the intrepid spirit Jimmy does to be the first to have a go at something like that. I'll wait to get some feedback on this "hotrod" V-twin.

John Tempest
Firestar 1

Richard Pike

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: SC flying video Reply with quote

Mystic wrote:
<snip> I'm a little skeptical about the "use less gas turning less rpm", but would love to be proved wrong. Do let us know what kind of performance and economy you achieve with this set up. <snip>

John Tempest
Firestar 1

It's true. A bigger engine loafing uses less fuel than a smaller engine wound out. When I flew to Oshkosh along with my two buds flying Maxair Drifters, we were flying around 55 mph (Drifter cruise speed) and I was consistently getting better fuel economy with the 532 loafing at 5,000 - 5,200 than the single carb 503's were getting at their 5,800 cruise. Lets the engine last longer too. The 582 on the Firestar II ought to outlast me... it only gets faster than 5,000 rpm during takeoff or climbouts, the rest of the time it is loafing along below 5,000. And using around 3 gph.

Can you post a picture of the camera mount that you have on your motorcycle helmet? I just got a used Kodak ZI8, (which is almost identical to your Playsport) and I would rather see how you mounted yours than try and reinvent the wheel.

Richard Pike
MKIII N420P (420ldPoops)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: