Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TXDR & Nav/Com light sensors

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stuart(at)stuarthutchison

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:49 am    Post subject: TXDR & Nav/Com light sensors Reply with quote

G'day Bob,

We have a KT76C transponder, a KX-165 and a KX155 radio in our Club Piper Archer - all with gas discharge displays.

At night they're all unreadable, but display just fine in daylight or if a torch is aimed at the light sensor (I assume an SPD like a camera light sensor).

Before we head out to potentially get ripped off buying new circuit boards or refurbished units etc, do you know if this is a common problem and should it be a relatively easy fix?

Cheers, Stu
[quote][b]

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:15 pm    Post subject: TXDR & Nav/Com light sensors Reply with quote

At 07:47 AM 7/18/2011, you wrote:
Quote:
G'day Bob,

We have a KT76C transponder, a KX-165 and a KX155 radio in our Club Piper Archer - all with gas discharge displays.

At night they're all unreadable, but display just fine in daylight or if a torch is aimed at the light sensor (I assume an SPD like a camera light sensor).

Before we head out to potentially get ripped off buying new circuit boards or refurbished units etc, do you know if this is a common problem and should it be a relatively easy fix?

I'm sorry, I've not had any experience or insight
from others as to how you might deal with this
issue. Suggest you post it to the list. Somebody
might have more knowledge than I.

Bob . . . [quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

racerjerry

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: TXDR & Nav/Com light sensors Reply with quote

I had the same symptoms with my KT-76A and KX-155. A flashlight shined directly on the photocell restored everything to normal brightness. After many years, the photocell material apparently oxidizes and disappears with age. If you have a smattering of electronics knowledge and experience with a soldering iron, the photocell (V301) on the KT-76A is not too difficult to replace as it is located off the main board on a separate switch board assy. behind the front panel. GOOGLE part no. 134-05005-0002. Mine cost me about $15 + shipping in 2006.

The same part number photocell is also used on the KX-155 and KX-165, but here the photocell is not quite so easy to get to for replacement. The expensive and delicate gas tube displays on the Nav/Com must be removed in order replace the photocell. This repair is best be left to the radio shop (don’t ask me how I know).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: