Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

new camera mount.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arksey(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:57 am    Post subject: new camera mount. Reply with quote

re: john tempest you tube video.....
the video was interesting..would like to know camera you were using and mount. I liked the way it showed the plane and the terrain...I am old and not into video yet as my interenet speed is a bit slow for video...that should be improving this fall so I may get into video myself and should start gathering info..Input from all in regard to camera and mounting will be of interest to many in the future, I would think...You are a lot bolder pilot than I am....but I am a old pilot....thanks....blue skys and safe flying...jswan

Jim Swan Kolb Firestar ll, 503 Rotax , 6147 Wilcox Rd., Eaton Rapids, Mi 48827 ph 517-663-8488 GPS GPS FOR MY RUNWAY N 42 deg 28.581 W084deg 44.825
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
phactor9

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:30 am    Post subject: new camera mount. Reply with quote

Hi Jim:

Sure is flat where you live. Nice, long runway!

For a camera, I purchased the Tachyon OPS HD, $139 plus S/H ($152.84). I have yet to receive it ("Coming this August"), but Tachyon seems to be popular and I'm going on faith.
http://www.tachyoninc.com/

For a mount, it seems to me vibration can be abated by attaching the camera to a "brick" and then soft-mounting the brick to your plane. Then, all you have to worry about is wind-buffeting. Now, who would want to affix a brick to their plane? Well, probably someone that wants vibration-free video. Catch-22.

When I get my camera, I'll test this theory, of course. Obviously, the theory is some kind of dead-weight that shrugs off vibration. Not necessarily a brick; maybe a 6" galvie or black-pipe nipple, 2" or 3" dia.?

Phil H. - [future] Firefly

--- On Sun, 7/24/11, Arksey(at)aol.com <Arksey(at)aol.com> wrote:

Quote:

Subject: RE: new camera mount.
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com
Date: Sunday, July 24, 2011, 2:55 PM

the video was interesting..would like to know camera you were using and mount. I liked the way it showed the plane and the terrain...I am old and not into video yet as my interenet speed is a bit slow for video...that should be improving this fall so I may get into video myself and should start gathering info..Input from all in regard to camera and mounting will be of interest to many in the future, I would think...You are a lot bolder pilot than I am....but I am a old pilot....thanks....blue skys and safe flying...jswan

Jim Swan Kolb Firestar ll, 503 Rotax , 6147 Wilcox Rd., Eaton Rapids, Mi 48827 ph 517-663-8488 GPS GPS FOR MY RUNWAY N 42 deg 28.581 W084deg 44.825
Quote:

=nofollow target=_blank>http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
et=_blank>http://forums.matronics.com
llow target=_blank>http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Arksey(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:57 pm    Post subject: new camera mount. Reply with quote

Hi Phil.,,,
yes in southern mich where I am at it is only small rolling hills....had trouble when a kid to find hill big enough to ski down in the winter....mix of farm lands and woods...and a few small lakes....so runway's are sort of easy here....yes I got more runway than I need for the Kolb but I had the land and room and it adds a bit of safety and other airplanes can come in....I do have a slight hill in the runway but it seems to be more of help than hindrance....I sure have a lot of fun flying the Firestar around the area, even at the price of gas it is still cheaper than a lot of planes and the visiblity is so good that it makes looking around from the air a enjoyment...plus learning to land the Kolb for a old general aviation pilot is sort of fun also...I am also a member of the Kolb group on facebook and post a lot of pictures on there....if i get into the video thing the Kolb should make a good platform to take some interesting stuff.....thanks for your info...jswan

Quote:
Hi Jim:

Sure is flat where you live. Nice, long runway!

For a camera, I purchased the Tachyon OPS HD, $139 plus S/H ($152.84). I have yet to receive it ("Coming this August"), but Tachyon seems to be popular and I'm going on faith.
http://www.tachyoninc.com/

For a mount, it seems to me vibration can be abated by attaching the camera to a "brick" and then soft-mounting the brick to your plane. Then, all you have to worry about is wind-buffeting. Now, who would want to affix a brick to their plane? Well, probably someone that wants vibration-free video. Catch-22.

When I get my camera, I'll test this theory, of course. Obviously, the theory is some kind of dead-weight that shrugs off vibration. Not necessarily a brick; maybe a 6" galvie or black-pipe nipple, 2" or 3" dia.?

Phil H. - [future] Firefly

--- On Sun, 7/24/11, Arksey(at)aol.com <Arksey(at)aol.com> wrote:

Quote:

Subject: RE: new camera mount.
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com
Date: Sunday, July 24, 2011, 2:55 PM

Jim Swan Kolb Firestar ll, 503 Rotax , 6147 Wilcox Rd., Eaton Rapids, Mi 48827 ph 517-663-8488 GPS GPS FOR MY RUNWAY N 42 deg 28.581 W084deg 44.82

Quote:

[quote][b]

Mystic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: new camera mount. Reply with quote

john tempest you tube video.....
the video was interesting..would like to know camera you were using and mount.

Hi Jim,

My Camera is a Kodak Playsport that was a gift from sister to take on kayaking trips. It's waterproof and works great for that.

It wasn't until I uploaded the first videos and watched them on my computer that I realized what a true gem this little thing is. The clips you see on you tube do not do this thing justice. The picture quality is amazing.

My only complaint was short battery life, but I found some cheap spares on E-bay,(that were actaully higher capacity than the Kodak supplied one) so it's no issue now.

Being a proletarian, I used a very simple/low tech approach to mounting my camera (cheap). I drilled 1/4 inch hole in bottom of tail boom, just forward of tailwheel rod. I used long tongs to drop in a 1/4 inch thumb screw with small washer so that I had about a half inch of threads poking out the bottom. I then used a nylon nut to secure the thumb screw in tight.

The nylon nut allows me to screw my camera (in a up-side-down attitude) on the thumb screw, snug it up tight and face it straight without damaging threads inside camera.(which are plastic)

I then use the camera tether (wrist strap) with a zip-tie looped thru the tailwheel gap to put a rear pull on the camera which points it down a little more and stiffens it up.

Once I upload the footage, I use quicktime pro to invert the video to right-side-up.

I'm sure there are other, probably better ways to do it. And ones that don't involve poking a hole in your plane. But I'll bet it can't be done any cheaper.

John Tempest
Firestar Classic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: