Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Muffler & Header paint

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beauford

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:04 pm    Post subject: Muffler & Header paint Reply with quote

Kolbers:

Looking through the archives for clues about what folks are using on their mufflers/headers for the Rotax
2-strokes, there seems to be a split between the ceramic coating camp and those who sand-blast
and repaint every couple of years.

Have decided I will do the latter (again), but would like to get a better paint than I was able to find for
the previous two cycles.. Both were rattle-can “hi-temp header” concoctions from auto parts stores. Neither
lasted very long on the Rotax muffler/header.

Has anyone come across a decent hi-temp paint that will stay on these parts long enough to be worth putting on them?
Would prefer quart cans, but will do spray cans if necessary.

Thankee fer yer time.

Rusty, cheap ‘ol beauford
FF-076
Brandon, FL
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
lcottrell

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:55 pm    Post subject: Muffler & Header paint Reply with quote

I used the Hi temp stove flat black paint. I think the key is stove not header. I believe that it is supposed to be good to 13 to 1400 degrees. Of course one must allow windage for elderly memory of a 100 or so degrees. I put it on my HKS muffler 135 hours ago and I do not see any problems as yet. My EGTS are best at 1330 degrees. Its cheap enough to do every year.
Larry

Note: If you forward this email, please delete the forwarding history, which includes my email address.
[quote] ---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

capedavis(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:51 pm    Post subject: Muffler & Header paint Reply with quote

I agree I used the flat black barbecue paint each spring and one can lasted about 5 years

Chris Davis
KXP 503 492 hrs
Glider Pilot
Disabled from crash building Firefly
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Wednesday, August 17, 2011 5:51 PM
Subject: Re: Muffler & Header paint

_filtered #yiv411698668 { font-family:Cambria Math;} _filtered #yiv411698668 { font-family:Calibri;} _filtered #yiv411698668 {margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;} #yiv411698668 P.yiv411698668MsoNormal { FONT-SIZE:11pt;MARGIN:0in 0in 0pt;FONT-FAMILY:"sans-serif";} #yiv411698668 LI.yiv411698668MsoNormal { FONT-SIZE:11pt;MARGIN:0in 0in 0pt;FONT-FAMILY:"sans-serif";} #yiv411698668 DIV.yiv411698668MsoNormal { FONT-SIZE:11pt;MARGIN:0in 0in 0pt;FONT-FAMILY:"sans-serif";} #yiv411698668 A:link { COLOR:blue;TEXT-DECORATION:underline;} #yiv411698668 SPAN.yiv411698668MsoHyperlink { COLOR:blue;TEXT-DECORATION:underline;} #yiv411698668 A:visited { COLOR:purple;TEXT-DECORATION:underline;} #yiv411698668 SPAN.yiv411698668MsoHyperlinkFollowed { COLOR:purple;TEXT-DECORATION:underline;} #yiv411698668 SPAN.yiv411698668EmailStyle17 { FONT-WEIGHT:normal;COLOR:black;FONT-STYLE:normal;FONT-FAMILY:"sans-serif";} #yiv411698668 .yiv411698668MsoChpDefault { } #yiv411698668 DIV.yiv411698668WordSection1 { } I used the Hi temp stove flat black paint. I think the key is stove not header. I believe that it is supposed to be good to 13 to 1400 degrees. Of course one must allow windage for elderly memory of a 100 or so degrees. I put it on my HKS muffler 135 hours ago and I do not see any problems as yet. My EGTS are best at 1330 degrees. Its cheap enough to do every year.
Larry

Note: If you forward this email, please delete the forwarding history, which includes my email address.
[quote] ---

DAquaNut(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:27 pm    Post subject: Muffler & Header paint Reply with quote

In a message dated 8/17/2011 3:04:38 P.M. Central Daylight Time, beauford173(at)verizon.net writes:
Quote:

Kolbers:

Looking through the archives for clues about what folks are using on their mufflers/headers for the Rotax
2-strokes, there seems to be a split between the ceramic coating camp and those who sand-blast
and repaint every couple of years.

Have decided I will do the latter (again), but would like to get a better paint than I was able to find for
the previous two cycles.. Both were rattle-can “hi-temp header” concoctions from auto parts stores. Neither
lasted very long on the Rotax muffler/header.

Has anyone come across a decent hi-temp paint that will stay on these parts long enough to be worth putting on them?
Would prefer quart cans, but will do spray cans if necessary.

Thankee fer yer time.

Rusty, cheap ‘ol beauford
FF-076
Brandon, FL
Quote:

="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
s.matronics.com/">http://forums.matronics.com
p://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[quote][b]

DAquaNut(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:36 pm    Post subject: Muffler & Header paint Reply with quote

Bro. Beauford,

The best I have found is VHT very high temperature Flame Proof Header paint 1300*---- 2000*. Just have to look through the local auto supply stores til you find it.

Ed Diebel FF 62

In a message dated 8/17/2011 3:04:38 P.M. Central Daylight Time, beauford173(at)verizon.net writes:
Quote:

[quote][b]

Richard Pike

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: Muffler & Header paint Reply with quote

I use John Deere hi-temp muffler paint and it is better than some, but they are real proud of it, it's pricey.

Richard Pike
MKIII N420P (420ldPoops)

Forgiving is tough, being forgiven is wonderful, and God's grace really is amazing.
R. Hankins

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler & Header paint Reply with quote

I use Krylon Stove and BBQ flat black. Works great. Priced right.

beauford

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:57 am    Post subject: Muffler & Header paint Reply with quote

Kolbers:
Thanks for the various inputs on the paint.
I ended up with two rattle cans of the VHT "flameproof" ceramic coating...
as suggested by Brother Diebel.
Claim on the can is good to 2,ooo degrees... hope I am not in the same
county with the little Nazi engine
if that limit is ever approached.

As usual, it is the little stuff that trips a man up... got everything set
up to sandblast....opened a bag... soaking
wet sand...impossible to use. Opened another...same way. Went to different
store and bought two different flavors of
sand... got home... both wet... Beauford is getting a tad slow in his
dotage, but it finally dawned on him...
The bastards are selling WATER, not sand.... in 50 lb bags...$3 a pop.
Last night the garage looked like a Lawrence
of Arabia movie set...piles of sand on tarps all over the floor...
dehumidifier and three fans running. The
neighbors used to come and chat when they saw me working on the Kolb...
have noticed that now they just
gather in small groups out on the street, whisper and point...

Next task is to figure out a way to get the Formidable Mrs. Beauford off of
the property for about four hours
after the parts are coated with the VHT... Gotta bake 'em in the oven in
three heating-cooling stages to cure
the stuff. Went through this once before with a chrome-ceramic paint on
this muffler... nasty stuff... ran the
stove on the oven cleaning cycle to get it hot enough. Unfortunately the
FMB returned home before the process
was complete and local participation in aviation came near to permanent
termination with prejudice. The up side was that
the new oven racks fit pretty good and we gota good census on the roach
population in the house... doubt that
the Orkin boys could have nailed more of 'em. Did notice that the
furniture smelled funny for a couple of weeks,
though.

russkinne(at)mac.com

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:39 pm    Post subject: Muffler & Header paint Reply with quote

Beauford
Any chance of putting wet sand in smalls sacks into the clothes-dryer? Should work.
Russ

On Aug 21, 2011, at 11:54 AM, Beauford wrote:

[quote]

Kolbers:
Thanks for the various inputs on the paint.
I ended up with two rattle cans of the VHT "flameproof" ceramic coating...
as suggested by Brother Diebel.
Claim on the can is good to 2,ooo degrees... hope I am not in the same
county with the little Nazi engine
if that limit is ever approached.

As usual, it is the little stuff that trips a man up... got everything set
up to sandblast....opened a bag... soaking
wet sand...impossible to use. Opened another...same way. Went to different
store and bought two different flavors of
sand... got home... both wet... Beauford is getting a tad slow in his
dotage, but it finally dawned on him...
The bastards are selling WATER, not sand.... in 50 lb bags...$3 a pop.
Last night the garage looked like a Lawrence
of Arabia movie set...piles of sand on tarps all over the floor...
dehumidifier and three fans running. The
neighbors used to come and chat when they saw me working on the Kolb...
have noticed that now they just
gather in small groups out on the street, whisper and point...

Next task is to figure out a way to get the Formidable Mrs. Beauford off of
the property for about four hours
after the parts are coated with the VHT... Gotta bake 'em in the oven in
three heating-cooling stages to cure
the stuff. Went through this once before with a chrome-ceramic paint on
this muffler... nasty stuff... ran the
stove on the oven cleaning cycle to get it hot enough. Unfortunately the
FMB returned home before the process
was complete and local participation in aviation came near to permanent
termination with prejudice. The up side was that
the new oven racks fit pretty good and we gota good census on the roach
population in the house... doubt that
the Orkin boys could have nailed more of 'em. Did notice that the
furniture smelled funny for a couple of weeks,
though.

Anyway, thankee again for the suggestions on the paint...Will see how this
stuff does... Gotta go sandblast before
the afternoon monsoon.

Beauford
FF-076
Brandon, FL
Do Not Archive

--

beauford

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:46 pm    Post subject: Muffler & Header paint Reply with quote

Brother Kinne:

Had to send the clothes dryer to depot-level maint after the last time I did
the muffler... It was a toss-up
whether dryer would be reusable... still runs funny... am hesitant to bring
up the subject.

Sand in garage is coming along... I go stir it up every few hours... dump
the water out of the dehumidifier.

"Hope springs eternal", etc., etc.

Hurricane Thursday would take care of that, however...

Watchful beauford
FF-076
Do Not Archive

If you forward this e-mail, please remove my name before sending it... I
promise to do the same for you...
Thanks...

Beauford
Any chance of putting wet sand in smalls sacks into the clothes-dryer?
Should work.
Russ
=================

Dana

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:12 am    Post subject: Muffler & Header paint Reply with quote

I had the same problem. I poured the sand onto an old aluminum tray and set it on a plastic milk crate with a drop light inside, and when dry I strained it through a piece of window screen.

-Dana

russ kinne <russkinne(at)mac.com> wrote:[quote] [quote]--> Kolb-List message posted by: russ kinne <russkinne(at)mac.com>BeaufordAny chance of putting wet sand in smalls sacks into the clothes-dryer? Should work.RussOn Aug 21, 2011, at 11:54 AM, Beauford wrote:> --> Kolb-List message posted by: "Beauford " <beauford173(at)verizon.net>> > Kolbers:> Thanks for the various inputs on the paint.> I ended up with two rattle cans of the VHT "flameproof" ceramic coating...> as suggested by Brother Diebel.> Claim on the can is good to 2,ooo degrees... hope I am not in the same> county with the little Nazi engine> if that limit is ever approached.> > As usual, it is the little stuff that trips a man up... got everything set> up to sandblast....opened a bag... soaking> wet sand...impossible to use. Opened another...same way. Went to different> store and bought two different flavors of> sand... got home... both wet... Beauford is getting a tad slow in his> dotage, but it finally dawned on him...> The bastards are selling WATER, not sand.... in 50 lb bags...$3 a pop.> Last night the garage looked like a Lawrence> of Arabia movie set...piles of sand on tarps all over the floor...> dehumidifier and three fans running. The> neighbors used to come and chat when they saw me working on the Kolb...> have noticed that now they just> gather in small groups out on the street, whisper and point...> > Next task is to figure out a way to get the Formidable Mrs. Beauford off of> the property for about four hours> after the parts are coated with the VHT... Gotta bake 'em in the oven in> three heating-cooling stages to cure> the stuff. Went through this once before with a chrome-ceramic paint on> this muffler... nasty stuff... ran the> stove on the oven cleaning cycle to get it hot enough. Unfortunately the> FMB returned home before the process> was complete and local participation in aviation came near to permanent> termination with prejudice. The up side was that > the new oven racks fit pretty good and we gota good census on the roach> population in the house... doubt that> the Orkin boys could have nailed more of 'em. Did notice that the> furniture smelled funny for a couple of weeks,> though.> .> > Anyway, thankee again for the suggestions on the paint...Will see how this> stuff does... Gotta go sandblast before> the afternoon monsoon.> > Beauford> FF-076> Brandon, FL> Do Not Archive> > -----Original [quote][b]

beauford

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:51 am    Post subject: Muffler & Header paint Reply with quote

Dana:

Thankee fer the input.

Tried to run the sand through the blaster again yesterday… after 3 days of fan drying in the garage, sand was still too wet to feed properly
and what did feed was not sharp enough to adequately cut the old ceramic paint off the muffler anyway. Noticed that
the soup at dinner last night had grit in it.

Am a slow learner, but I know when I’m whipped…

Went to the local welding supply this morning and got 100lbs of Black Beauty blasting abrasive. Guy behind the counter
said it would carve your initials in a cannon ball…noticed it was grinding holes in the sacks when I loaded it in truck…
Now I gotta be careful it doesn’t eat a hole in the Nazi muffler..

Yesterday noticed in the fine print on the VHT header paint rattle-can that the stuff is only to be applied when the humidity is 60% or lower…
Last day we had humidity that low here was in January… might have to drive it up to South Dakota to paint it before Christmas…

The beat goes on.

Beauford
FF-076
Brandon, FL
Do Not Archive

From: owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Dana Hague
Sent: Tuesday, August 23, 2011 11:09 AM
Subject: Re: Re: Muffler & Header paint

I had the same problem. I poured the sand onto an old aluminum tray and set it on a plastic milk crate with a drop light inside, and when dry I strained it through a piece of window screen.

-Dana

Quote:

williamtsullivan(at)att.n

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:27 am    Post subject: Muffler & Header paint Reply with quote

Beauford- Do what I do. Send the wife out shopping, and spread the sand out in cake pans or cookie sheets. Oven at 350 or so for an hour.

Bill Sullivan

--- On Tue, 8/23/11, Beauford <beauford173(at)verizon.net> wrote:
[quote]
Subject: Re: Muffler & Header paint
Date: Tuesday, August 23, 2011, 12:49 PM
Dana:

Thankee fer the input.

Tried to run the sand through the blaster again yesterday… after 3 days of fan drying in the garage, sand was still too wet to feed properly
and what did feed was not sharp enough to adequately cut the old ceramic paint off the muffler anyway. Noticed that
the soup at dinner last night had grit in it.

Am a slow learner, but I know when I’m whipped…

Went to the local welding supply this morning and got 100lbs of Black Beauty blasting abrasive. Guy behind the counter
said it would carve your initials in a cannon ball…noticed it was grinding holes in the sacks when I loaded it in truck…
Now I gotta be careful it doesn’t eat a hole in the Nazi muffler..

Yesterday noticed in the fine print on the VHT header paint rattle-can that the stuff is only to be applied when the humidity is 60% or lower…
Last day we had humidity that low here was in January… might have to drive it up to South Dakota to paint it before Christmas…

The beat goes on.

Beauford
FF-076
Brandon, FL
Do Not Archive

From: owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Dana Hague
Sent: Tuesday, August 23, 2011 11:09 AM
Subject: Re: Re: Muffler & Header paint

-Dana

[quote] [b]

henry.voris

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler & Header paint Reply with quote

23aug11

Br'er Beuford,

I was having problems with humidity when I used the VHT on the straight pipes of the beloved iron and black motorcycle...

Got good results by... cleaning the pipes good... wipe with acetone... dangled them in the Hawaiian sun until hot to the touch... shot the VHT while the pipes were hot. Cured by running copious amounts of hot exhaust gas through 'em.

I'm sure there are a bunch of reasons why not to do it this way... but it looked good for about two years of running every day, when I did it again.

Good luck.

Do Not Archive
beauford

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:03 pm    Post subject: Muffler & Header paint Reply with quote

Thankee, Brother Voris

One way or another, the evil deed is done.. the stuff is sandblasted, wiped
with acetone and shot with the HVT..

Will bake it when I can figure out a way to have survivable access to the
stove....

beauford
FF-076
Brandon, FL
Do not archive

--

byoungplumbing(at)gmail.c

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:51 pm    Post subject: Muffler & Header paint Reply with quote

Thankee, Brother Voris

One way or another, the evil deed is done.. the stuff is sandblasted, wiped
with acetone and shot with the HVT..

Will bake it when I can figure out a way to have survivable access to the
stove....

beauford
Quote:
>>>>>>>>>
make sure you use the old oven racks,, or you will have to buy the FMB a

second new set
still having a good laugh over that one.

boyd young
mkiii utah

please do not archive

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: