Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oiling the 914

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fergus Kyle

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:10 pm    Post subject: Oiling the 914 Reply with quote

I have a print-out from Steve Hagar , date unknown, regarding the procedure given by Eric Tucker from Kodiak Research who gives the 3-day seminar/class.
1 Drain engine/tank
2 Fill filter half full, don’t put on
3 3 litres oil in tank
4 Turn prop till oil comes out of oil filter base boss.
At this point, I fail. I have turned the prop by hand for 35 rotations ( ? blades) and still no oil.
What am I doing wrong?
Ferg [quote][b]

- The Matronics RotaxEngines-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RotaxEngines-List
klinefelter.kevin(at)gmai

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:14 pm    Post subject: Oiling the 914 Reply with quote

Ferg,
Are you filling the oil system for first run? or are you changing the
oil. The reason I ask is that the procedures are different, air in the
system or not
The best thing is to watch the video on the ROAN site

Kevin

On 8/25/11, Fergus Kyle <VE3LVO(at)rac.ca> wrote:
Quote:
I have a print-out from Steve Hagar , date unknown, regarding the procedure
given by Eric Tucker from Kodiak Research who gives the 3-day seminar/class.
1 Drain engine/tank
2 Fill filter half full, don't put on
3 3 litres oil in tank

At this point, I fail. I have turned the prop by hand for 35 rotations ( ?
blades) and still no oil.
What am I doing wrong?
Ferg

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Roger Lee

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Oiling the 914 Reply with quote

Hi Fergus,

Your not doing anything wrong. It's all right. First the new Rotax oil filter can not be pre-filled any more. See the new blog on the Rotax owner site. Second turning the prop the 35-40 times only will pre-fill the oil filter on the new filters. On an old one that is half filled that should get you a little oil return, but don't get too hung up up that. The oil system at times on our system can lie to you. Trust in yourself. If you have done what you stated above then go start the engine and check for oil pressure, let it run a few minutes then shut it down and check the oil. If you used your three qts. It should be at the top of the dip stick.
One last comment. Never turn the prop if the oil tank is empty or the oil filter is off. If you do you just earned the opportunity to do an oil purge.

Light Sport Repairman
Home 520-574-1080 TRY HOME FIRST
Cell 520-349-7056
grahamsingleton(at)btinte

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:41 am    Post subject: Oiling the 914 Reply with quote

Ferg
if you didn't put the filter on then that's what's wrong I think. You have sucked air into the system.
Graham

To: 1ROTAXnet <rotaxengines-list(at)matronics.com>
Sent: Friday, 26 August, 2011 1:07:51
Subject: Oiling the 914

Oiling the 914
I have a print-out from Steve Hagar , date unknown, regarding the procedure given by Eric Tucker from Kodiak Research who gives the 3-day seminar/class.
1 Drain engine/tank
3 3 litres oil in tank
At this point, I fail. I have turned the prop by hand for 35 rotations ( ? blades) and still no oil.
What am I doing wrong?
Ferg
Quote:
http://forums.matronics.com[/url] rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="http://www.matronics.com/contri===

[quote][b]

ptag.dev(at)tiscali.co.uk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:08 am    Post subject: Oiling the 914 Reply with quote

Hi! Ferg
You need to apply a constant pressure supply to the top of the tank
which will force the oil through the system to the pump. It relies on
this header pressure to push oil through the cooler and onwards to the
pump. The pump will not suck this oil supply until it has adequate oil
without "Breaks" in the oil circuit . Once the oil circuit has been
flushed of all air bubbles you can only remove the tank or filter once
you have clamped the out going pipe from tank to cooler . Neville Eyre
does this all with a bike pump and a non return valve.

Regards

Bob Harrison G-PTAG

Quote:
----Original Message----

Quote:

Quote:
Date: 26/08/2011 10:38

Quote:
To: <rotaxengines-list(at)matronics.com>

Quote:
Subj: Re: Oiling the 914

Quote:

Quote:
Ferg

Quote:
if you didn't put the filter on then that's what's wrong I think. You
have

Quote:
sucked air into the system.

Quote:
Graham

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
To: 1ROTAXnet <rotaxengines-list(at)matronics.com>

Quote:
Sent: Friday, 26 August, 2011 1:07:51

Quote:
Subject: Oiling the 914

Quote:

Quote:
Oiling the 914

Quote:
I have a print-out from Steve Hagar, date unknown, regarding the
proceduregiven

Quote:
by Eric Tucker from Kodiak Research who gives the 3-day
seminar/class.

Quote:
1 Drain engine/tank

Quote:

Quote:
3 3 litres oil in tank

Quote:

Quote:
At this point, I fail. I have turned the prop by hand for 35rotations
( ? ==============

Quote:

Roger Lee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Oiling the 914 Reply with quote

I just re-read his post and "#4 Turn prop till oil comes out of oil filter base boss", does say he turned the prop without the filter. I totally misread that. Fergus, you can't do that. Now you need to do an oil purge as you have introduced a large volume of air into the system. The hydraulic lifters can not pump air and running this can cause severe damage. You need to look at the video on the Rotax owner's site for this or read about it in the manual. The video is better. Even if you have already started the engine once for a few minutes absolutely do the oil purge.

Never turn the prop with the oil system open at the tank (no oil) or with the filter off. If you take off an oil line or break the system open other than the oil change an oil purge must be done.
For future oil changes turn the prop for the gurgle before any oil is drained or the system is opened to get as much oil back to the tank. Drain the tank and replace the plug. Remove the filter and put one right back on there and then. The new oil filters can not be pre-filled. Check the magnetic plug and replace it. Put your 3 qts. of oil in the tank. Now after all the oil is back in place and the filter and mag plug are in place and the system is sealed then turn the prop again your 30 times.

Light Sport Repairman
Cell 520-349-7056
Fergus Kyle

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:34 am    Post subject: Oiling the 914 Reply with quote

A review:
First, thank you! to those who so quickly replied. i hope to make clear (and to learn the proper recovery if required) below.
The entire procedure I attempted to follow is:
1. Drain engine/tank.
2. Fill filter half full, don’t put on
3. Put 3 litres in tank
4. Turn prop till oil comes out of oil ilter base boss
5. Install filter
6. verify oil pressure by propping or motoring engine without ignition before putting back in service

Kevin –
I am filling for the first time – obviously wrongly. I will watch the ROAN video you suggest – thanks

Roger –
I seem to be out of it when it comes to routine. As above, I DID turn the prop with the oil filter off, and so have probably got air into the system. So as you say I have just earned the opportunity to do an Oil Purge. I’ll get on that now. Now I see there’s a new filter.... SO much to learn, so little time.
Graham –
I think you’re right and thanks for the attention.
Bob –
You are in agreement with the consensus and so I will do as above what Roger suggests, once I have purged the air. Your explanation has made me understand the system and the routine. I’m fascinated to see how Neville uses the bicycle pump. Thanks.
Ferg
[quote][b]

Roger Lee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Oiling the 914 Reply with quote

Hi Fergus,

Delete #4 and you're good to go. If you do #4 you are locked into an oil purge. #4 is a bad idea.

Light Sport Repairman
Cell 520-349-7056
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: