Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Workbench size?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EdKranz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: Workbench size? Reply with quote

I'm in the "preparing the garage" phase before I order my tail kit, and I'm wondering what everyone used for workbenches.

I'm going to be building in a 32'x32' 3 stall garage, but the wife will need to be able to park inside at all time.

I have a 32"x120" bench attached to the back wall that I built when we first moved in, and I just recently built a 30" by 30" rolling table for my vise, grinder, and soon jig saw and drill press.

I'm leaning towards two EAA style benches on casters that can be pushed against a side wall when not being used. I'm thinking one bench will be 5' long and the other 6', given the space to fit them. I can't decide how wide to make them.

Is 24" too narrow to build a 10 on? Would 30" wide be wide enough?

Any other suggestions?

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
kearney

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:36 pm    Post subject: Workbench size? Reply with quote

Ed

I built two of these "EAA Regulation" tables. See http://www.eaa1000.av.org/technicl/worktabl/worktabl.htm

The only mod I made was to use 1/2" MDF for the top. It is flat and square which is very useful. As it is very smooth there are no splinters etc. Mine tops have lots of holes where I have drilled through. When it gets to be too much I just replace the top.

For casters, make sue you get fairly large wheels as the small ones didn't seem to last - at least more me. Rough concrete on my garage floor was pretty hard on them. Also make sure that the wheels on one side lock.

I found the recommended size to be perfect.

Also get a good brush so you can sweep the tops clean when working. This also helps distribute small parts onto the floor. VBG.

Cheers

Les

Sent from my iPhone

On 2011-09-03, at 11:08 PM, EdKranz <ed.kranz(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Quote:

I'm in the "preparing the garage" phase before I order my tail kit, and I'm wondering what everyone used for workbenches.

I'm going to be building in a 32'x32' 3 stall garage, but the wife will need to be able to park inside at all time.

I have a 32"x120" bench attached to the back wall that I built when we first moved in, and I just recently built a 30" by 30" rolling table for my vise, grinder, and soon jig saw and drill press.

I'm leaning towards two EAA style benches on casters that can be pushed against a side wall when not being used. I'm thinking one bench will be 5' long and the other 6', given the space to fit them. I can't decide how wide to make them.

Any other suggestions?

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=351357#351357

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Mauledriver(at)nc.rr.com

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:54 am    Post subject: Workbench size? Reply with quote

Agreed on the standard size & MDF top. In addition, I found that
covering the top with kraft paper or the like was good. It absorbs a
lot of abuse, hides the drill holes and has a nice mind clearing effect
when changed. A roll of it and a stapler is all that's needed.

Bill "today switching the hangar from Maule high wing to RV10 low wing
configuration" Watson
On 9/4/2011 12:31 AM, Les Kearney wrote:
Quote:

Ed

I built two of these "EAA Regulation" tables. See http://www.eaa1000.av.org/technicl/worktabl/worktabl.htm

The only mod I made was to use 1/2" MDF for the top. It is flat and square which is very useful. As it is very smooth there are no splinters etc. Mine tops have lots of holes where I have drilled through. When it gets to be too much I just replace the top.

For casters, make sue you get fairly large wheels as the small ones didn't seem to last - at least more me. Rough concrete on my garage floor was pretty hard on them. Also make sure that the wheels on one side lock.

I found the recommended size to be perfect.

Also get a good brush so you can sweep the tops clean when working. This also helps distribute small parts onto the floor. VBG.

Cheers

Les

Sent from my iPhone

On 2011-09-03, at 11:08 PM, EdKranz<ed.kranz(at)gmail.com> wrote:

>
>
> I'm in the "preparing the garage" phase before I order my tail kit, and I'm wondering what everyone used for workbenches.
>
> I'm going to be building in a 32'x32' 3 stall garage, but the wife will need to be able to park inside at all time.
>
> I have a 32"x120" bench attached to the back wall that I built when we first moved in, and I just recently built a 30" by 30" rolling table for my vise, grinder, and soon jig saw and drill press.
>
> I'm leaning towards two EAA style benches on casters that can be pushed against a side wall when not being used. I'm thinking one bench will be 5' long and the other 6', given the space to fit them. I can't decide how wide to make them.
>
> Is 24" too narrow to build a 10 on? Would 30" wide be wide enough?
>
> Any other suggestions?
>
>
> Read this topic online here:
>
> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=351357#351357
>
>

kearney

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:11 am    Post subject: Workbench size? Reply with quote

Hi Again

The covering is a good idea. I used a roll of rubber honeycomb mat of the type used to line toolbox drawers. The honeycomb catches small metal shavings and helps prevent scratches on skins. Just shake to remove shavings.

Cheers

Les

Sent from my iPhone

On 2011-09-04, at 6:51 AM, Bill Watson <Mauledriver(at)nc.rr.com> wrote:

Quote:

Agreed on the standard size & MDF top. In addition, I found that covering the top with kraft paper or the like was good. It absorbs a lot of abuse, hides the drill holes and has a nice mind clearing effect when changed. A roll of it and a stapler is all that's needed.

Bill "today switching the hangar from Maule high wing to RV10 low wing configuration" Watson

On 9/4/2011 12:31 AM, Les Kearney wrote:
>
>
> Ed
>
> I built two of these "EAA Regulation" tables. See http://www.eaa1000.av.org/technicl/worktabl/worktabl.htm
>
> The only mod I made was to use 1/2" MDF for the top. It is flat and square which is very useful. As it is very smooth there are no splinters etc. Mine tops have lots of holes where I have drilled through. When it gets to be too much I just replace the top.
>
> For casters, make sue you get fairly large wheels as the small ones didn't seem to last - at least more me. Rough concrete on my garage floor was pretty hard on them. Also make sure that the wheels on one side lock.
>
> I found the recommended size to be perfect.
>
> Also get a good brush so you can sweep the tops clean when working. This also helps distribute small parts onto the floor. VBG.
>
> Cheers
>
> Les
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On 2011-09-03, at 11:08 PM, EdKranz<ed.kranz(at)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>
>>
>> I'm in the "preparing the garage" phase before I order my tail kit, and I'm wondering what everyone used for workbenches.
>>
>> I'm going to be building in a 32'x32' 3 stall garage, but the wife will need to be able to park inside at all time.
>>
>> I have a 32"x120" bench attached to the back wall that I built when we first moved in, and I just recently built a 30" by 30" rolling table for my vise, grinder, and soon jig saw and drill press.
>>
>> I'm leaning towards two EAA style benches on casters that can be pushed against a side wall when not being used. I'm thinking one bench will be 5' long and the other 6', given the space to fit them. I can't decide how wide to make them.
>>
>> Is 24" too narrow to build a 10 on? Would 30" wide be wide enough?
>>
>> Any other suggestions?
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> Read this topic online here:
>>
>> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=351357#351357
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
>
>
>

coop85(at)verizon.net

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:12 am    Post subject: Workbench size? Reply with quote

An important question is will be you be going slow or quick build? For the quick build the benches you have are fine, just need one big enough to handle the horizontal stab.

Marcus
On Sep 3, 2011, at 11:08 PM, EdKranz wrote:

Any other suggestions?

EdKranz

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Workbench size? Reply with quote

I am going to be taking the slow-build route.

After reading thru a number of other build logs, I think I'd like to build both wings simultaneously. At what point can you start working on them in the wing cradles? I was planning on building a cradle that could be split so I'll have 360 degree access.

Also, will I have enough room on a pair of standard EAA tables to build the slow build fuse up to the point where it makes sense to move it to a purpose build stand?

coop85(at)verizon.net wrote:
An important question is will be you be going slow or quick build? For the quick build the benches you have are fine, just need one big enough to handle the horizontal stab.

Marcus
On Sep 3, 2011, at 11:08 PM, EdKranz wrote:

Any other suggestions?

rene(at)felker.com

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:24 am    Post subject: Workbench size? Reply with quote

Just to add my 2 cents. I had one 4X8 work bench that I built (a friend
built it for me) a couple of decades before......no casters. I then got two
8 foot lifetime folding tables from Costco. Put them end to end for the
wings and moved them around easily. I could fold them up and put them aside
when I did not need them. I did all my dimpling, clamping, etc on the
large work bench. The flaps are 8 feet, so you will need a large flat
surface to do those....

I built in a three car garage and my wife kept her side the entire time.
She would let me kick her car out for painting and when I wanted (not
needed) extra room.

Also, I had some old carpet I put on top of the work bench and table......I
glued it to my dimpling table....so that I could slide the parts around a
little easier. Just need to vacuum out the carpet to get the filings and
stuff out or you could scratch the skins.

Also, also....even with the 4X8 workbench and having access to both sides I
needed a third hand sometimes, so I went to the aviation department at Sears
and got one of those roller stands (don't know what they are called) that
carpenters use to roll longer pieces of wood on and off table saws, etc.

Rene'
801-721-6080

dhmoose

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Workbench size? Reply with quote

Another tip: make the MDF top overlap ALL sides of the workbenches frame. It's immensely helpful to be able to clamp items to the lip on all four sides versus just 3 sides. Hope depot also sells carpet runners that are the perfect size for the bench tops.

David

Portland, OR
ScooterF15

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:59 am    Post subject: Workbench size? Reply with quote

Similar to your pIan, I built my RV-10 on a wall mounted work bench and a
4'x5' work table that sat in the middle. In my new garage I built two 2'x5'
workbenches that hook together to make a 4'x5'. When I don't need them, they
come apart and roll underneath the wall mounted bench.

Here is my biggest suggestion for any workbench you build: is to hang the
particle board over the edges ~6". I didn't do this at first and quickly
learned that I needed that overhang to be able to clamp things. I was
surprised that the EAA design I saw in the magazine didn't have this
feature. Also don't be afraid to drill into your work bench top. It is easy
and cheap to replace.

-Jim
N312JE

--

rv10flyer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Workbench size? Reply with quote

2 ea 30" X 84" X 36"H with 2" overlap, fixed 4" castors on one end and moveable on other with brakes.

If I had it to do over I would make them 36" X 96" with 4" overlap. One table now at home and one at airport.

Lots of outlets and lights; 2 separate regulators/25' air hoses; 16 gal vac, a/c & heat; dehumidifier; 36" X 36" bench tool work table(like you have) with NO castors. I did not want a bandsaw blade accidentally moving and it was easy to slide two times during entire build. Built up to fuse/tail mating in 12 X 24' then went to 24' X 24' with plenty of room. 9' W X 8'H insulated garage doors. Baby monitor to monitor while its sleeping. Fire/smoke alarms, storage cabinet vented to outside for flammables. Radio, dvd, 18" flat screen, phone, white board and sm refrigerator. Furnace blower in a box with castors, 8' cord and 5" thick high eff air filter- for running while sanding, scotch brighting, priming along with respirator. All the tools you can afford. I think thats about it.

johngoodman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Workbench size? Reply with quote

I built two of the EAA tables and they came in handy. However, don't forget a table - such as the standard "Costco" folding banquet table. It is better for sitting height and folds out of the way when not needed.

John

#40572 Phase One complete in 2011
Mauledriver(at)nc.rr.com

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:21 pm    Post subject: Workbench size? Reply with quote

Use filter bags in any and all shop vacs - especially when you start on
the fiberglass. They are available for all models.

If you are 50+, consider an eyeglass prescription specifically for shop
work. Optimized for working at arm's length - not as close as reading
glasses, good enough distance vision to see across the garage without
discomfort. Big lenses for safety but something you're willing to wear
out. (No, I'm not an optometrist but they universally express approval)

Have a complete set of safety equipment - goggles, ear protection,
respirator masks, first aid kit - and use them all the time.

Things I would have handled differently; rip all the blue protective
plastic off everything at first opportunity, prime less, worry less
about scratching exterior surfaces, making sure all my work tables have
at least a 1.5" lip on all 4 sides for clamping

Bill "half way thru Phase 1" Watson

On 9/4/2011 2:57 PM, rv10flyer wrote:
Quote:

2 ea 30" X 84" X 36"H with 2" overlap, fixed 4" castors on one end and moveable on other with brakes.

If I had it to do over I would make them 36" X 96" with 4" overlap. One table now at home and one at airport.

Lots of outlets and lights; 2 separate regulators/25' air hoses; 16 gal vac, a/c& heat; dehumidifier; 36" X 36" bench tool work table(like you have) with NO castors. I did not want a bandsaw blade accidentally moving and it was easy to slide two times during entire build. Built up to fuse/tail mating in 12 X 24' then went to 24' X 24' with plenty of room. 9' W X 8'H insulated garage doors. Baby monitor to monitor while its sleeping. Fire/smoke alarms, storage cabinet vented to outside for flammables. Radio, dvd, 18" flat screen, phone, white board and sm refrigerator. Furnace blower in a box with castors, 8' cord and 5" thick high eff air filter- for running while sanding, scotch brighting, priming along with respirator. All the tools you can afford. I think thats about it.

drfred(at)suddenlinkmail.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:30 am    Post subject: Workbench size? Reply with quote

I think the EEA tables would work great. I had enough room for a 4x8
table with a melamine top.

What I found helpful was to take the wing box, take the top off and then
flip it over on some 4x4 posts for the corners. It was narrow and long
and I kept it low. About 30 inches. Let me work on one wing at a
time. I put some old carpet scraps to protect the skins.

Dr Fred

johngoodman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: Workbench size? Reply with quote

I did that with all the boxes, but I had the room. Made some of them higher, mainly for fiberglass work - you need a big table for cutting fabric.
John
drfred(at)suddenlinkmail. wrote:
I think the EEA tables would work great. I had enough room for a 4x8
table with a melamine top.

What I found helpful was to take the wing box, take the top off and then
flip it over on some 4x4 posts for the corners. It was narrow and long
and I kept it low. About 30 inches. Let me work on one wing at a
time. I put some old carpet scraps to protect the skins.

Dr Fred

#40572 Phase One complete in 2011
EdKranz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Workbench size? Reply with quote

Thanks for all the great advice!

I decided to go with two 32" x 60" tables on wheels, with 3/4" MDF tops, with 4" overhangs on all sides... on wheels.

I got them both built over the weekend, and between the two new benches, and my existing built in 10' bench, I'm hoping to have enough room. I think they're going to work really well.

Now that that's done, I guess it's on to the tool collecting stage!

whd721

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:55 pm    Post subject: Workbench size? Reply with quote

A useful addition I use is a pair of 4"x4" by four foot beams carpeted on top for each bench. Use a 1"x2" piece and a lag bolt to clip the beams to the bench top overhang.

Move them where ever you need them, makes the bench 4 foot wide temporarily and allows chips and tools to be below the part, wing or stab. In addition, I have four 4"x4" by two foot carpeted pieces. Use them between the 4' beams for support. You can insert them and remove at will.

On Sep 13, 2011, at 10:32 AM, EdKranz wrote:

Quote:

Thanks for all the great advice!

I decided to go with two 32" x 60" tables on wheels, with 3/4" MDF tops, with 4" overhangs on all sides... on wheels.

I got them both built over the weekend, and between the two new benches, and my existing built in 10' bench, I'm hoping to have enough room. I think they're going to work really well.

Now that that's done, I guess it's on to the tool collecting stage!

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=352165#352165

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: