Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Heavy in-flight vibration

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frankm(at)clara.net

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:58 pm    Post subject: Heavy in-flight vibration Reply with quote

I suffered heavy in-flight vibration the other day. By the time I had checked t's and p's and voltage, and before I had time to switch on the fuel pump everything was back to normal. So I left everything as it was and returned to base with no further trouble. I checked engine mountings, propellor and fuel filter and carb float chambers and found quite severe felting of fine fibres round the filter, which I changed, and a minute amount of dirt in the bottom on one float chamber. The nature of the vibration felt as though the cylinders on one side of the engine had stopped firing; it did not feel like misfiring due to,eg, carb ice, and if it had been a blocked filter I think the engine would have stopped, and not started again until I changed tanks. If so that could only be a carburettor problem and I wondered if there had been a momentary vapour lock on one side, or possibly a sticking float valve stopping fuel flow to that side, perhaps cured by the vibration. Neither the OAT nor the engine were hot enough to make vapour a likely answer. I also wondered if I had picked up a child's helium balloon in the prop which blew off after a second or two. The next day I climbed straight up to 6,000' with no hint of trouble, so I have stopped worrying about it.

Frank Mycroft G-BWYD
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: