Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ball Joints

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tonyrenshaw268(at)gmail.c

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:43 am    Post subject: Ball Joints Reply with quote

Gidday,I have had my door strut hydraulic struts on and off so many times, and co-incidentally arm really glad the end caps, the ball joint cups are plastic. So, when the time comes I reckon it might be worthwhile replacing them, or having spares. I have seen photos on EuropaOwners of Dan Bish's album of a metal cup with a locking cir-clip pin rather than the plastic ones. He is unsure where he got them from, maybe Europa, and so I am wondering if anyone knows where these can be sourced please??
Reg
Tony Renshaw
Sydney Australia
[img]cid:7C15968E-A025-45B0-B1B4-54DCDC046C7D(at)optusnet.com.au[/img]

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List

EuropaOwners_•_DSCF0057.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  55.61 KB
 Viewed:  1776 Time(s)

EuropaOwners_•_DSCF0057.jpg

ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:19 am    Post subject: Ball Joints Reply with quote

Tony,
Very nice setup with the locking cir clip. I have had my struts dislodge twice in 5 years, merely due to the bolt attachment coming loose. Otherwise the ones that are issued are quite OK and lighter in construction. Remember the the cir clip will not release the strut from the ball when needed under stress and therefore may do damage to your composite metal tongue the ball is bolted to. Just a thought.

Cheers,

Tim

Tim Ward
12 Waiwetu Street
Fendalton,
Christchurch, 8052
New Zealand.

ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz

Ph 64 3 3515166
Mob 0210640221
On 6/10/2011, at 9:40 PM, Tony Renshaw <tonyrenshaw268(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Quote:
Gidday,
I have had my door strut hydraulic struts on and off so many times, and co-incidentally arm really glad the end caps, the ball joint cups are plastic. So, when the time comes I reckon it might be worthwhile replacing them, or having spares. I have seen photos on EuropaOwners of Dan Bish's album of a metal cup with a locking cir-clip pin rather than the plastic ones. He is unsure where he got them from, maybe Europa, and so I am wondering if anyone knows where these can be sourced please??
Reg
Tony Renshaw
Sydney Australia
<EuropaOwners ā€¢ DSCF0057.jpg>

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

frans(at)privatepilots.nl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:28 am    Post subject: Ball Joints Reply with quote

On 10/06/2011 10:40 AM, Tony Renshaw wrote:
Quote:
Gidday,
I have had my door strut hydraulic struts on and off so many times, and
co-incidentally arm really glad the end caps, the ball joint cups are
plastic.

I had the same problem and replaced them by metal ones which I bought
from the Europa company.
These end caps are slightly longer so it is likely you have to adapt
something, but it is worth the trouble. I never had an end cap sprang
loose after that.

Frans

steven.pitt2(at)ntlworld.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:33 am    Post subject: Ball Joints Reply with quote

Europa Company supply these and whilst acknowledging the risk of them being more secure at least you do not worry about the doors detaching on the ground in strong winds.
Regards
Steve Pitt
[quote] ---

EuropaOwners_._DSCF0057.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  1772 Time(s)

EuropaOwners_._DSCF0057.jpg

raimo.toivio(at)rwm.fi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:01 am    Post subject: Ball Joints Reply with quote

Tony,

my P1 side plastic ball joint became loose and the metallic ball popped out several times.
That happened several times only during I was opening the door.
So it was only harmful ā€“ no damages.
I analyzed why it popped out and found sometimes the pump itself rotated such a way that it forced to separate the ball and the ball joint from each others (because the ball joint was also loose).

I changed it to the stbd side (not so often in use) and cutted a small piece of just an ordinary plastic bag.
Say 1ā€¯ x 1ā€¯.
I wrapped it about 5 times and put it between the ball joint and ball.
That made the ball joint tight again.
Problem solved.

So far.

I will absolutely go on to the metallic ball joints when it is time to do that.

Cheers, Raimo Toivio

[img]cid:F75F3FC72DF641AE87F2EE87F7CE0CAD(at)Asus[/img]
Europa XS Mono OH-XRT #417
Updated flight hours /landings:

37500 Lempaala
FINLAND

p +358-3-3753 777
f +358-3-3753 100

toivio(at)fly.to (toivio(at)fly.to)
www.rwm.fi

Sent: Thursday, October 06, 2011 11:40 AM
To: europa-list(at)matronics.com (europa-list(at)matronics.com) ; Kingsley Hurst (kingsnjan(at)westnet.com.au)
Subject: Ball Joints

Gidday, I have had my door strut hydraulic struts on and off so many times, and co-incidentally arm really glad the end caps, the ball joint cups are plastic. So, when the time comes I reckon it might be worthwhile replacing them, or having spares. I have seen photos on EuropaOwners of Dan Bish's album of a metal cup with a locking cir-clip pin rather than the plastic ones. He is unsure where he got them from, maybe Europa, and so I am wondering if anyone knows where these can be sourced please??
Reg
Tony Renshaw
Sydney Australia
[img]cid:6EBCE9F3158A4926806F8B6F3FF5AC66(at)Asus[/img]

Europa%20A2A-ala2OK[1].png
 Description:
 Filesize:  58.84 KB
 Viewed:  1770 Time(s)

Europa%20A2A-ala2OK[1].png

EuropaOwners_ā€¢_DSCF0057.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  1770 Time(s)

EuropaOwners_ā€¢_DSCF0057.jpg

rlborger(at)mac.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:48 am    Post subject: Ball Joints Reply with quote

Raimo,

On Oct 6, 2011, at 8:58 AM, Raimo Toivio wrote:
Quote:
One limitation: we call that plastic screw “fucken Russian vertical spiral”. The end stops are weak and will broken easily.

That's why we dislike them. Cheep, crapy, miserable adjustments. They broke the first time I attempted to open/close them (thankfully, before they were installed). And they are not repairable. So they went into the dust bin and I bought outrageously expensive but completely functional vents (Ultimate Ventilators) from ACS.
Bob Borger
Rebuilding the instrument panel and working on a major weight reduction program for The Little Dragon Lady. She has to loose about 50 lbs (that's 3 Stone 8 for you guys in the UK). And the CG has to go back into the middle of the range. A new, light weight, low power, panel along with removal of the big alternator should take care of most of that.

Cel 817-992-1117

pjeffers(at)talktalk.net

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:20 am    Post subject: Ball Joints Reply with quote

Hi Raimo,
It’s the  “fucken Russian vertical spiral” that I am talking about.  ‘Pathetic’.
Pete
From: owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Raimo Toivio
Sent: 06 October 2011 14:58
To: europa-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Ball Joints

Pete,

why do you think they (Naca vents) are useless?

I have been happy with them:

- it was easy and straightforward to install them

- they are light weight

- they produce fresh air to the cockpit very well when open and they won´t when closed and are fully adjustable

- easy to operate

- they are looking nice

One limitation: we call that plastic The end stops are weak and will broken easily.

When it is fully open, do not try to open it more and vice versa!

It is easy to forget to what direction you should turn the knob – so I have made an arrow sign to show how to open and close it.

Terveisin,
[img]cid:image001.gif(at)01CC844B.C40D2070[/img]
Raimo Toivio

RWM-SYSTEMS
"älykästä informaatiotekniikkaa vuodesta 1980"

[img]cid:image002.gif(at)01CC844B.C40D2070[/img]

37500 Lempäälä
FINLAND

p. 03 - 3753 777
f. 03 - 3753 100

www.rwm.fi
info(at)rwm.fi (info(at)rwm.fi)

Sent: Thursday, October 06, 2011 4:00 PM

To: europa-list(at)matronics.com (europa-list(at)matronics.com)

Subject: RE: Ball Joints

Hi Steve,
Europa certainly did supply the metal ends in days of old. I got mine from them and they have never given any trouble since (12 yrs). I only wish the company would stop supplying duff bits when they must surely be aware of so many complaints. Those useless NACA side vents are another expensive and useless item that I believe still come with the new kits.
Pete

From: owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Steven Pitt
Sent: 06 October 2011 11:30
To: europa-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Ball Joints

Europa Company supply these and whilst acknowledging the risk of them being more secure at least you do not worry about the doors detaching on the ground in strong winds.

Regards

Steve Pitt
[quote]
---

image001.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.34 KB
 Viewed:  1749 Time(s)

image001.gif

image002.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.38 KB

image002.gif

image003.jpg
 Description:

image003.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: