Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recommendation M-14 engines
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yakplt(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:44 am    Post subject: Recommendation M-14 engines Reply with quote

This should probably be on the M-14 engine list, (which I will get around to doing), but for now just a recommendation for every M-14 engine owner on this list. (Of course this might equally apply to Housai engines as well! )

As anyone knows who has timed an M-14, it is not exactly an easy process and it is very difficult to get dead nuts accurate. Typically we finish, hope for the best and check mag drop as a confidence factor.

There are several ways to "do this better" when attempting the process, but one of the easier ways to time an engine is with the Aircraft Tool and Supply Company TIMERITE device. This is actually the same way the Russians attempt it, but with a much more accurate instrument.

Apparent;ly the TIMERITE timing tool does not have gauge arms and scales developed for the M-14 engine, which actually is kind of odd since there are more of these engines in this country flying than there are some of the older radial engine designs that they have developed scales for.

One of the ways to influence this is simply to call these folks up, tell them that you have an M-14, and would like to see them develop their product so it can be used on YOUR engine. Heck, it's a toll free call: 1-800-248-0638

I am not saying there are not better methods than the TIMERITE (A Laser scale comes to mind), but being able to purchase and use this instrument on M-14 engines would be of benefit to all of us.  So consider giving these folks a call sometime and tell them you'd love to see them develop their product to be used on our M-14 engines.   Can't hurt.

Mark

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
dougsappllc(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:07 pm    Post subject: Recommendation M-14 engines Reply with quote

Called them:"So I hear your now offering a gauge arm and scale for using the Timerite on a M14P??"
A what?
Which engine?
A Russian engine?
Radial huh?
Well tech is out-- call back tomorrow...............

Not very encouraging.
Doug
On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 12:41 PM, Yak Pilot <yakplt(at)yahoo.com (yakplt(at)yahoo.com)> wrote:
[quote] This should probably be on the M-14 engine list, (which I will get around to doing), but for now just a recommendation for every M-14 engine owner on this list.  (Of course this might equally apply to Housai engines as well! )

As anyone knows who has timed an M-14, it is not exactly an easy process and it is very difficult to get dead nuts accurate.  Typically we finish, hope for the best and check mag drop as a confidence factor. 

There are several ways to "do this better" when attempting the process, but one of the easier ways to time an engine is with the Aircraft Tool and Supply Company TIMERITE device.  This is actually the same way the Russians attempt it, but with a much more accurate instrument. 

Apparent;ly the TIMERITE timing tool does not have gauge arms and scales developed for the M-14 engine, which actually is kind of odd since there are more of these engines in this country flying than there are some of the older radial engine designs that they have developed scales for.

One of the ways to influence this is simply to call these folks up, tell them that you have an M-14, and would like to see them develop their product so it can be used on YOUR engine.  Heck, it's a toll free call:  [url=tel:1-800-248-0638]1-800-248-0638[/url] 

I am not saying there are not better methods than the TIMERITE (A Laser scale comes to mind), but being able to purchase and use this instrument on M-14 engines would be of benefit to all of us.  So consider giving these folks a call sometime and tell them you'd love to see them develop their product to be used on our M-14 engines.   Can't hurt. 

Mark

Quote:

et="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
tp://forums.matronics.com
_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

yakplt(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:17 pm    Post subject: Recommendation M-14 engines Reply with quote

Yep. Me too. Then I talked to a young lady that said they usually add new scales and arms when they get enough calls from people who own them. They need to understand how many are out there before they will invest, which makes sense.... hence my message. Smile

Thanks Doug!

Mark

To: yak-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Thursday, October 6, 2011 4:04 PM
Subject: Re: Recommendation M-14 engines

Called them: "So I hear your now offering a gauge arm and scale for using the Timerite on a M14P??"
A what?
Which engine?
A Russian engine?
Radial huh?
Well tech is out-- call back tomorrow...............

Not very encouraging.

Doug

On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 12:41 PM, Yak Pilot <yakplt(at)yahoo.com (yakplt(at)yahoo.com)> wrote:
[quote] This should probably be on the M-14 engine list, (which I will get around to doing), but for now just a recommendation for every M-14 engine owner on this list. (Of course this might equally apply to Housai engines as well! )

As anyone knows who has timed an M-14, it is not exactly an easy process and it is very difficult to get dead nuts accurate. Typically we finish, hope for the best and check mag drop as a confidence factor.

There are several ways to "do this better" when attempting the process, but one of the easier ways to time an engine is with the Aircraft Tool and Supply Company TIMERITE device. This is actually the same way the Russians attempt it, but with a much more accurate instrument.

One of the ways to influence this is simply to call these folks up, tell them that you have an M-14, and would like to see them develop their product so it can be used on YOUR engine. Heck, it's a toll free call:  1-800-248-0638

I am not saying there are not better methods than the TIMERITE (A Laser scale comes to mind), but being able to purchase and use this instrument on M-14 engines would be of benefit to all of us. So consider giving these folks a call sometime and tell them you'd love to see them develop their product to be used on our M-14 engines. Can't hurt.

Mark

Quote:

et="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
tp://forums.matronics.com
_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[b]

wlannon(at)shaw.ca

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:18 pm    Post subject: Recommendation M-14 engines Reply with quote

Hi Mark

Having already fabricated an arm and scale for my TIMERITE to accommodate the Ivchenco series engines I can tell you it is barely worth the effort.

The TIMERITE is an excellent timing device but like any other magneto timing system that utilizes piston position it becomes increasingly less accurate as the timing specification approaches TDC.

This of course is a result of piston dwell where the piston is stationary through an angle of 4 to 5 degs. either side of TDC. In that area the TIMERITE is totally useless.

Having said that the M14P engine WITH the specified fixed spark M9F magneto is good candidate for the TIMERITE since the timing angle (and therefore the setting angle) is 23 degs.(crankshaft) BTDC.

However a few M14P's and (as far as I know) all other variants of the Ivchenko line utilize the M9, M9-25M or M9-35M.
These of course are all auto advance mags and, varying with engine model, are timed with setting angles in the area of 10 degs. BTDC to 10 degs. ATDC and therefore must be timed by direct reference to the crankshaft (or corresponding prop shaft) angle.

And NO, my arm and scale are not available under any circumstance. They were just a test for my own personal information. The TIMERITE is a patented, currently available device and if ATS think there is an acceptable market they will design and manufacture as necessary.

Cheers;
Walt

[quote] ---

yakplt(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:27 am    Post subject: Recommendation M-14 engines Reply with quote

That's an interesting discussion Walt.  Basically from what I read, you are saying in a nutshell that due to piston TDC dwell, the TIMERITE is not accurate for determining TDC, and I see that logic perfectly.

You made a comment that "a few" of the M-14P engines use the M9F mag but most others use mags with auto-advance. That's intesting because every M-14 that I have worked on use the M9F fixed timing mags. That includes five M-14P's, and seven M14PF's. From that LESS than broad experiece I came to the conclusion (which could easily be wrong) that most M-14P and PF engines that came stock with the YAK-50, YAK-52, YAK-55, Sukhoi-26,29,31 series came with the M9F mag stock. Those are the models I have direct experience with, but admittedly only one or two of each model. I own two YAK-50's (one wrecked) with M-14P engines, one 1974 model with original engine and one 1984 model with original engine, both with M9F mags.

That said, I have heard that the mags with mechanical advance will work equally was well. Dennis, can you add to this? George or Cliff Coy? What are the usual mag configurations (stock) on M-14's? 

You've used this device on an M-14, and I have not. So excuse a stupid question if I may. If you can determine the total piston dwell by coming up to the point of no movement (Before TDC) and then where it starts to move again (after TDC), determine total number of "no movement degrees" then divide by 2, would you not get a reasonable point of accuracy for TDC? Just wondering. This problem has perplexed me for quite some time, as with a spinner on the aircraft, measuring prop angle is next to impossible, and even with the spinner off, the spinner backplate also adds to the problem. I have experimented with laser measuring, with a modicum of success, but reflection from the piston often refracts and without putting a reflector on the piston I've given up on that.

So at this point I guess my suggestion to have TIMERITE make arms and scales for the M-14 might only apply to those that use M9F mags.

Hmmm.

Thanks Walt.

Mark

Sent: Friday, October 7, 2011 12:16 AM

Hi Mark

Having already fabricated an arm and scale for my TIMERITE to accommodate the Ivchenco series engines I can tell you it is barely worth the effort.

The TIMERITE is an excellent timing device but like any other magneto timing system that utilizes piston position it becomes increasingly less accurate as the timing specification approaches TDC.

This of course is a result of piston dwell where the piston is stationary through an angle of 4 to 5 degs. either side of TDC. In that area the TIMERITE is totally useless.

Having said that the M14P engine WITH the specified fixed spark M9F magneto is good candidate for the TIMERITE since the timing angle (and therefore the setting angle) is 23 degs.(crankshaft) BTDC.

However a few M14P's and (as far as I know) all other variants of the Ivchenko line utilize the M9, M9-25M or M9-35M.
These of course are all auto advance mags and, varying with engine model, are timed with setting angles in the area of 10 degs. BTDC to 10 degs. ATDC and therefore must be timed by direct reference to the crankshaft (or corresponding prop shaft) angle.

And NO, my arm and scale are not available under any circumstance. They were just a test for my own personal information. The TIMERITE is a patented, currently available device and if ATS think there is an acceptable market they will design and manufacture as necessary.

Cheers;
Walt

[quote] ---

dsavarese0812(at)bellsout

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:39 am    Post subject: Recommendation M-14 engines Reply with quote

Mark,
For those engines that have spinners and back plates that cover the
timing marks on the M14, the easiest way to check or set the timing is
to use this device available from ATS.

http://www.aircraft-tool.com/shop/detail.aspx?PRODUCT_ID=E25

Secure it to the front of the spinner and set the disc to "0" once you
get #4 cylinder at TDC. Works just like having the spinner off and
seeing the timing marks on the prop flange.

A. Dennis Savarese
334-285-6263
334-546-8182 (cell)
www.yak-52.com
On 10/7/2011 8:25 AM, Yak Pilot wrote:
[quote] That's an interesting discussion Walt. Basically from what I read,
you are saying in a nutshell that due to piston TDC dwell, the
TIMERITE is not accurate for determining TDC, and I see that logic
perfectly.
You made a comment that "a few" of the M-14P engines use the M9F mag
but most others use mags with auto-advance. That's intesting because
every M-14 that I have worked on use the M9F fixed timing mags. That
includes five M-14P's, and seven M14PF's. From that LESS than broad
experiece I came to the conclusion (which could easily be wrong) that
most M-14P and PF engines that came stock with the YAK-50, YAK-52,
YAK-55, Sukhoi-26,29,31 series came with the M9F mag stock. Those are
the models I have direct experience with, but admittedly only one or
two of each model. I own two YAK-50's (one wrecked) with M-14P
engines, one 1974 model with original engine and one 1984 model with
original engine, both with M9F mags.
That said, I have heard that the mags with mechanical advance will
work equally was well. Dennis, can you add to this? George or Cliff
Coy? What are the usual mag configurations (stock) on M-14's?
You've used this device on an M-14, and I have not. So excuse a
stupid question if I may. If you can determine the total piston dwell
by coming up to the point of no movement (Before TDC) and then where
it starts to move again (after TDC), determine total number of "no
movement degrees" then divide by 2, would you not get a reasonable
point of accuracy for TDC? Just wondering. This problem has
perplexed me for quite some time, as with a spinner on the aircraft,
measuring prop angle is next to impossible, and even with the spinner
off, the spinner backplate also adds to the problem. I have
experimented with laser measuring, with a modicum of success, but
reflection from the piston often refracts and without putting a
reflector on the piston I've given up on that.
So at this point I guess my suggestion to have TIMERITE make arms and
scales for the M-14 might only apply to those that use M9F mags.
Hmmm.
Thanks Walt.
Mark

*To:* yak-list(at)matronics.com
*Sent:* Friday, October 7, 2011 12:16 AM
*Subject:* Re: Recommendation M-14 engines

Hi Mark
Having already fabricated an arm and scale for my TIMERITE to
accommodate the Ivchenco series engines I can tell you it is barely
worth the effort.
The TIMERITE is an excellent timing device but like any other magneto
timing system that utilizes piston position it becomes increasingly
less accurate as the timing specification approaches TDC.
This of course is a result of piston dwell where the piston is
stationary through an angle of 4 to 5 degs. either side of TDC. In
that area the TIMERITE is totally useless.
Having said that the M14P engine WITH the specified fixed spark M9F
magneto is good candidate for the TIMERITE since the timing angle (and
therefore the setting angle) is 23 degs.(crankshaft) BTDC.
However a few M14P's and (as far as I know) all other variants of the
Ivchenko line utilize the M9, M9-25M or M9-35M.
These of course are all auto advance mags and, varying with engine
model, are timed with setting angles in the area of 10 degs. BTDC to
10 degs. ATDC and therefore must be timed by direct reference to the
crankshaft (or corresponding prop shaft) angle.
And NO, my arm and scale are not available under any circumstance.
They were just a test for my own personal information. The TIMERITE
is a patented, currently available device and if ATS think there is an
acceptable market they will design and manufacture as necessary.
Cheers;
Walt

---

GeorgeCoy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:00 am    Post subject: Recommendation M-14 engines Reply with quote

The M9æ magneto with the high voltage type of shower of sparks was pretty much standard for the M14P on Yaks. The M9-35M magneto with the vibrator coil type shower of sparks was pretty much standard on the M14-V26 Kamov engines and M9B engines. Either works equally well. Most Yak 52W and 52TW had the M9-35M magnetos as new production M9æ magnetos were not available at the time and new Mp-35mš type were available.
ššššššššš I use the just a screw driver or awl to feel TDC. It is probably as accurate as the Russian gage or TIMERIGHT. If I cannot get to the propeller flange due to a spinner I use one of the šTiming Indicator TP102 Tools (Aircraft spruce 12-01187) and time it to 15 deg BTC (24 deg X .63).
ššššššššš

From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Yak Pilot
Sent: Friday, October 07, 2011 9:25 AM

That's an interesting discussion Walt. Basically from what I read, you are saying in a nutshell that due to piston TDC dwell, the TIMERITE is not accurate for determining TDC, and I see that logic perfectly.

You made a comment that "a few" of the M-14P engines use the M9F mag but most others use mags with auto-advance. That's intesting because every M-14 that I have worked on use the M9F fixed timing mags. That includes five M-14P's, and seven M14PF's. From that LESS than broad experiece I came to the conclusion (which could easily be wrong) that most M-14P and PF engines that came stock with the YAK-50, YAK-52, YAK-55, Sukhoi-26,29,31 series came with the M9F mag stock. Those are the models I have direct experience with, but admittedly only one or two of each model. I own two YAK-50's (one wrecked) with M-14P engines, one 1974 model with original engine and one 1984 model with original engine, both with M9F mags.

That said, I have heard that the mags with mechanical advance will work equally was well. Dennis, can you add to this? George or Cliff Coy? What are the usual mag configurations (stock) on M-14's?

You've used this device on an M-14, and I have not. So excuse a stupid question if I may. If you can determine the total piston dwell by coming up to the point of no movement (Before TDC) and then where it starts to move again (after TDC), determine total number of "no movement degrees" then divide by 2, would you not get a reasonable point of accuracy for TDC? Just wondering. This problem has perplexed me for quite some time, as with a spinner on the aircraft, measuring prop angle is next to impossible, and even with the spinner off, the spinner backplate also adds to the problem. I have experimented with laser measuring, with a modicum of success, but reflection from the piston often refracts and without putting a reflector on the piston I've given up on that.

So at this point I guess my suggestion to have TIMERITE make arms and scales for the M-14 might only apply to those that use M9F mags.

Hmmm.

Thanks Walt.

Mark

Sent: Friday, October 7, 2011 12:16 AM
Hi Mark

And NO, my arm and scale are not available under any circumstance. They were just a test for my own personal information. The TIMERITE is a patented, currently available device and if ATS think there is an acceptable market they will design and manufacture as necessary.

Cheers;

Walt

[quote]
---

wlannon(at)shaw.ca

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:49 am    Post subject: Recommendation M-14 engines Reply with quote

No Mark that is NOT what I wrote!

I wrote " A few M14P's and all other variants of the Ivchenko line utilize the M9, M9-25M or M9-35M"

And yes you have appeared to miss the point entirely. The TIMERITE is not a TDC indicating tool. It is, as the name implies, a timing too.

One establishes the TDC reference by simply setting the adjustable scale to "0" after positioning the piston at the top of it's compression stroke. Whether the crank is precisely at "0" degs is totally irrelevant to the process. The TIMERITE measures piston position relative to the TDC position of the PISTON and displays that position as a function of crankshaft rotation.

You are correct the TIMERITE is of use ONLY with the M9F magneto.
[quote] ---

yakplt(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:23 am    Post subject: Recommendation M-14 engines Reply with quote

WALT! Sorry, if I misunderstood and missed the point entirely

So, if I understand it now, most of the M-14P and PF engines came with the M9F mag, and thus the TIMERITE device will be of use to them. Got it.

I think that was what I was trying to say from the gitgo, but.... whatever. ..... thanks.

Mags that use mechanical advance require the set timing point to be set very close to TDC, which is hard to determine with the TIMERITE due to piston dwell. For example, a mechanical advance M9-35M mag with 35 stamped on it, would have a set point of seven degrees past top dead center of crankshaft angle, which would be difficult to determine with the TIMERITE. Would you agree that I understand the point now? Thanks.

The only thing I was suggesting was that the TIMERITE would be a nice thing to have on M-14 engines. Since most M-14 engines use the M9F mag, I guess we are in agreement on that point.

So, if you have an M9F mag on an M-14 engine, please give those folks a call if you would.  It's always nice to have another option, even though it appears that the E25 timing indicator might be a better way to go.

Sorry for misreading what you wrote Walt. It was not meant to upset you.

Mark

Sent: Friday, October 7, 2011 12:47 PM

No Mark that is NOT what I wrote!

I wrote " A few M14P's and all other variants of the Ivchenko line utilize the M9, M9-25M or M9-35M"

And yes you have appeared to miss the point entirely. The TIMERITE is not a TDC indicating tool. It is, as the name implies, a timing too.

One establishes the TDC reference by simply setting the adjustable scale to "0" after positioning the piston at the top of it's compression stroke. Whether the crank is precisely at "0" degs is totally irrelevant to the process. The TIMERITE measures piston position relative to the TDC position of the PISTON and displays that position as a function of crankshaft rotation.

You are correct the TIMERITE is of use ONLY with the M9F magneto.
[quote] ---

mikspin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Recommendation M-14 engines Reply with quote

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?search=true&item_ID=75273&PartNo=YAL866&group_id=19865&supersede=&store=snapon-store&tool=all

This tool makes it possible to time the mags, regardless of model, accurately and consistently, regardless of a spinner, backing plate etc.

yakplt(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:38 am    Post subject: Recommendation M-14 engines Reply with quote

I respectfully disagree, but that's nothing new. 

Mark

Sent: Friday, October 7, 2011 2:14 PM

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?search=true&item_ID=75273&PartNo=YAL866&group_id=19865&supersede=&store=snapon-store&tool=all

This tool makes it possible to time the mags, regardless of model, accurately and consistently, regardless of a spinner, backing plate etc.

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=354298#354298

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:07 am    Post subject: Recommendation M-14 engines Reply with quote

I think what was mean was the tool makes it possible to find TDC. I have
one that I use all the time to find TDC and it works fine. Had to make
one small modification though because when the tool is screwed into the
spark plug hole properly, the moveable section will jam or bind on the
sleeve because of the angle between the moveable section and the
piston. All I did was put a VERY slight bend in the moveable section
which changed the angle just enough to permit it to move up and down easily.
Dennis

A. Dennis Savarese
334-285-6263
334-546-8182 (cell)
www.yak-52.com
On 10/7/2011 1:35 PM, Yak Pilot wrote:
Quote:

I respectfully disagree, but that's nothing new.

Mark

Sent: Friday, October 7, 2011 2:14 PM

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=354298#354298

mikspin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Recommendation M-14 engines Reply with quote

Yep Dennis that's the case and thank you.

I should have further stated that you need a pointer (or the Aircraft Spruce tool mentioned) along with this TDC finder. The marki ngson the tool allow you to easily bracket the dwell at TDC. I use a pointer as described in the Yak mx manual and have timed -9F and -35's without issue.

tigeryak18t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:06 pm    Post subject: Recommendation M-14 engines Reply with quote

Hi gents

excuse me but I perhaps missed something, but why not use the TDC tool provided in the original russian tools???
Or even try to reproduce it ???
If this is a good solution????

I have one but I don't have the knowledge to use it. One day perhaps.

Sorry for this stupid question but ...

Thanks and best regards

Didier

2011/10/7 mikspin <acromike(at)gmail.com (acromike(at)gmail.com)>
Quote:
--> Yak-List message posted by: "mikspin" <acromike(at)gmail.com (acromike(at)gmail.com)>

I should have further stated that you need a pointer (or the Aircraft Spruce tool mentioned) along with this TDC finder.  The marki ngson the tool allow you to easily bracket the dwell at TDC.  I use a pointer as described in the Yak mx manual and have timed -9F and -35's without issue.

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=354306#354306

===========
rget="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
===========
http://forums.matronics.com
===========
le, List Admin.
="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

--

[quote][b]

samira.h(at)shaw.ca

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:07 pm    Post subject: Recommendation M-14 engines Reply with quote

There is always a hard or
an easy way to solve a problem.

I personally prefer the easy
method and set my magneto timing
by using a chopstick, a bendable
ruler and a household elastic.

And no, I will not interfere with
the pros of the list and leave
you with that hint.

cheers

Elmar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:58 pm    Post subject: Recommendation M-14 engines Reply with quote

I have had 2 bad experiences with the original Russian TDC tool. In
each case the "hook" jammed in the horizontal position and I could not
release it. Twice I had to use a Dremel tool cutting wheel to cut the
mechanism above the spark plug hole and pray the center section with the
hook would not drop into the cylinder. I was lucky twice. Needless to
say I am not going to try for 3 times. So I refuse to use it under any
circumstances.

The problem is the quality of the manufacturing regarding the hook and
arm that slides in and out of the section that screws into the spark
plug hole. If it jams and you can't release it so the hook points
straight up and down, your screwed.

Use at your own risk!
Dennis

A. Dennis Savarese
334-285-6263
334-546-8182 (cell)
www.yak-52.com
On 10/7/2011 3:03 PM, Didier Blouzard wrote:
Quote:
Hi gents

excuse me but I perhaps missed something, but why not use the TDC tool
provided in the original russian tools???
Or even try to reproduce it ???
If this is a good solution????

I have one but I don't have the knowledge to use it. One day perhaps.

Sorry for this stupid question but ...

Thanks and best regards

Didier

2011/10/7 mikspin <acromike(at)gmail.com <mailto:acromike(at)gmail.com>>

<mailto:acromike(at)gmail.com>>

I should have further stated that you need a pointer (or the
Aircraft Spruce tool mentioned) along with this TDC finder. The
marki ngson the tool allow you to easily bracket the dwell at TDC.
I use a pointer as described in the Yak mx manual and have timed
-9F and -35's without issue.

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=354306#354306

===========
rget="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
===========
http://forums.matronics.com
===========
le, List Admin.
="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========
--

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:04 pm    Post subject: Recommendation M-14 engines Reply with quote

For those that don't want to pay the Snap On prices, here's the exact
same tool for under $20.

http://www.amazon.com/Innovative-Products-America-7880-Indicator/dp/B002XMOMA2

A. Dennis Savarese
334-285-6263
334-546-8182 (cell)
www.yak-52.com
On 10/7/2011 4:55 PM, A. Dennis Savarese wrote:
Quote:

<dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net>

I have had 2 bad experiences with the original Russian TDC tool. In
each case the "hook" jammed in the horizontal position and I could not
release it. Twice I had to use a Dremel tool cutting wheel to cut the
mechanism above the spark plug hole and pray the center section with
the hook would not drop into the cylinder. I was lucky twice.
Needless to say I am not going to try for 3 times. So I refuse to use
it under any circumstances.

The problem is the quality of the manufacturing regarding the hook and
arm that slides in and out of the section that screws into the spark
plug hole. If it jams and you can't release it so the hook points
straight up and down, your screwed.

Use at your own risk!
Dennis

A. Dennis Savarese
334-285-6263
334-546-8182 (cell)
www.yak-52.com
On 10/7/2011 3:03 PM, Didier Blouzard wrote:
> Hi gents
>
> excuse me but I perhaps missed something, but why not use the TDC
> tool provided in the original russian tools???
> Or even try to reproduce it ???
> If this is a good solution????
>
> I have one but I don't have the knowledge to use it. One day perhaps.
>
> Sorry for this stupid question but ...
>
> Thanks and best regards
>
> Didier
>
> 2011/10/7 mikspin <acromike(at)gmail.com <mailto:acromike(at)gmail.com>>
>
>
> <mailto:acromike(at)gmail.com>>
>
> Yep Dennis that's the case and thank you.
>
> I should have further stated that you need a pointer (or the
> Aircraft Spruce tool mentioned) along with this TDC finder. The
> marki ngson the tool allow you to easily bracket the dwell at TDC.
> I use a pointer as described in the Yak mx manual and have timed
> -9F and -35's without issue.
>
>
> Read this topic online here:
>
> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=354306#354306
>
> ===========
> rget="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
> ===========
> http://forums.matronics.com
> ===========
> le, List Admin.
> ="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
> ===========
> --
> ____________________________
> Didier BLOUZARD
> Portable : +33 6 24 24 36 72
> Email: didier.blouzard(at)gmail.com <mailto:didier.blouzard(at)anolistech.fr>
>
> *
> *

samira.h(at)shaw.ca

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:54 pm    Post subject: Recommendation M-14 engines Reply with quote

Dennis,

if you put an o-ring in
the upper part of the
original TDC tool it
will not turn accidentally
and save you the headache.

If you like I could send
you a picture.

cheers

Elmar

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:10 am    Post subject: Recommendation M-14 engines Reply with quote

Thanks Elmar for the offer. After my two experiences, I vowed to never
use one again.

A. Dennis Savarese
334-285-6263
334-546-8182 (cell)
www.yak-52.com
On 10/7/2011 5:51 PM, Elmar Hegenauer wrote:
Quote:

Dennis,

if you put an o-ring in
the upper part of the
original TDC tool it
will not turn accidentally
and save you the headache.

If you like I could send
you a picture.

cheers

Elmar

mikspin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: Recommendation M-14 engines Reply with quote

Dennis,

FWIW the one I have is the 14" which seems to clear more of the items near the cylinder making it easier to work with, and surprisingly it was within a few $ of what I could find elsewhere. Good find on Amazon on that one!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: