Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tailspring and Tailwheel forks plating

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tonyrenshaw268(at)gmail.c

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: Tailspring and Tailwheel forks plating Reply with quote

Gidday,
I have started to research the option of protecting my tailspring and the tailwheel forks as my build progresses. A recent pow wow with 3 builders concluded something was required such that the process did not expose the job to temperatures above the tempering temperature of the tail spring. Now I'm ignorant of all this stuff, so didn't really participate, only listened. A conclusion was made that powder coating might be an answer but my recent enquiries lends me to have concerns that the flex of the leg could encourage departure of the surface. i.e. cracking.
An old Europa builder I knew used Electroless Nickel. No clue if this is the best, but I do know that he would have researched very thoroughly. So, I'm interested in what opinions the forum might have of this method, or other suggestions. My parts definitely need sandblasting to remove surface corrosion at any case.
Reg
Tony Renshaw
Sydney Aussie

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
fklein(at)orcasonline.com

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:05 pm    Post subject: Tailspring and Tailwheel forks plating Reply with quote

Tony Renshaw wrote:

Quote:
A conclusion was made that powder coating might be an answer but my
recent enquiries lends me to have concerns that the flex of the leg
could encourage departure of the surface. i.e. cracking.

Tony...I have no expertise to lend to this discussion...without a
great deal of thought, I powder coated my tailspring along w/ all the
other ferrous components and fittings. Ms. E is not yet airworthy, so
I have no experience as to whether or not the tailspring's flexing
will cause cracking of the powder coating.

Fred

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

tennant

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Tailspring and Tailwheel forks plating Reply with quote

Tony,

I would be very careful with plating processes as the spring is very hard and the process could induce Hydrogen Embrittlement into the surface. The result of this could be cracking and breaking of the spring.

If the spring is a decent spring steel it will have a hardness of at least 45HRC which would make it succeptible to cracking.

Best regards

Barry Tennant

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: