Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Flaps or falparon on the Firestar 11

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SAILNROCK

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:26 pm    Post subject: Flaps or falparon on the Firestar 11 Reply with quote

Hi All
Has any one made flaps or done flaperons
like on the firefly? On the Firestar 11
And if so how did it come out and with what benefits?
Thanks Bob

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
racerjerry

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: Flaps or falparon on the Firestar 11 Reply with quote

Yes, years ago I duplicated the Firefly flaperon design into my Firestar II during construction. My main purpose was to qualify for FAR part 103; just as the Firefly did with it’s shorter wings and not for a performance gain. I had shortened my Firestar wings by eliminating the wing spar spliced in tube sections toward the wingtips. The graph in Appendix 2 of AC 103-7 “Determining Power Off Stall Speed” allowed a much better lift factor for a wing with flaps.

I was really a newbie pilot at the time and did not notice much difference in performance with flaps or without. Also, I have not flown my Firestar in a very long time, so I cannot give you much in the way of performance data. I suspect that If I cleaned up the airplane with wing strut and gear leg fairings that a difference may have been more noticeable. I did experiment once with the flaperons adjusted to reflex them up in flight and that seemed to improve cruise speeds somewhat but probably not worth the effort.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

FIRESTARII

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: Flaps or falparon on the Firestar 11 Reply with quote

Very Happy Thanks for posting this as it is something I have put a great deal of thought into and an even greater lack of effort! I once saw a FSII listed on Barnstormers with flaps and the guys claim to fame was that it was the "slowest flying Kolb in the US". I have no idea weather that is true or not. Most GA airplanes I have flown show a significant improvement in lift with the flaps in the 10 to 20 degree range and any thing more than that just increases drag to allow for a steeper approach angle. I could be wrong but I am pretty sure thats exactly what the Cessna POH's say. For me personally, based on my pseudo dangerous grass strip I have at my farm I see a substantial benefit from both the increased lift as well as the steeper approach angle! Simply because it's one way in and one way out with trees on the west end and power lines on the other. I have big plans of a full on restoration and re power of my FSII this winter and I will be incorporating flaps if I can do so safely and legally. Can you say 65HP Hirth Very Happy I would be curious to hear from the Mark III guys and any other Kolber's with flaps if they feel the flaps are a worth while addition to an already great flying airplane. Fly safe everybody!

Richard Pike

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Flaps or falparon on the Firestar 11 Reply with quote

FIRESTARII wrote:
Very Happy Thanks for posting this as it is something I have put a great deal of thought into and an even greater lack of effort! I once saw a FSII listed on Barnstormers with flaps and the guys claim to fame was that it was the "slowest flying Kolb in the US". I have no idea weather that is true or not. Most GA airplanes I have flown show a significant improvement in lift with the flaps in the 10 to 20 degree range and any thing more than that just increases drag to allow for a steeper approach angle. I could be wrong but I am pretty sure thats exactly what the Cessna POH's say. For me personally, based on my pseudo dangerous grass strip I have at my farm I see a substantial benefit from both the increased lift as well as the steeper approach angle! Simply because it's one way in and one way out with trees on the west end and power lines on the other. I have big plans of a full on restoration and re power of my FSII this winter and I will be incorporating flaps if I can do so safely and legally. Can you say 65HP Hirth Very Happy I would be curious to hear from the Mark III guys and any other Kolber's with flaps if they feel the flaps are a worth while addition to an already great flying airplane. Fly safe everybody!

IMO, the flaps lower the stall speed as much as VG's and can be used in combination for best effect. However they also create a real change in lift distribution on the wing and cranking in the flaps requires either retrimming the airplane A LOT, or holding about twice as much stick back pressure. They do allow a much steeper approach angle and shorten the roll out, as the airplane will not float once you round out.

The best way to get out of the field better is obviously more power. However, I am not terribly impressed with the 65 Hirth, the few we have had around here have been pretty meh. One friend of mine has had to helicore the spark plug holes because the thing has vibrated the originals out.

If you do go the 65HP route, Kolb says you ought to beef up the upper fuselage structure, it was not designed for the torque of a 65 hp engine. Here is how we did it on FSII N582EF: http://www.bcchapel.org/pages/0003/582%20Mods.html

If we had it to do over again, a dual carb 503 would have been simpler. On the plus side, the skinny FSII cruises happily at 65 mph with the 582 loafing at 4800 rpm and burning under 3 gph. At which rpm it ought to go forever without needing an overhaul. And it does pop off the ground quick and go up at an insane climb angle.

Forgiving is tough, being forgiven is wonderful, and God's grace really is amazing.
byoungplumbing(at)gmail.c

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:20 am    Post subject: Flaps or falparon on the Firestar 11 Reply with quote

I would be curious to hear from the Mark III guys and any other Kolber's
with flaps if they feel the flaps are a worth while addition to an already
great flying airplane. Fly safe everybody!

--------
Low and Slow FireStar II
Quote:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

I did some experimenting with the flaps, my mkiii has 0, 20, 40 deg
settings, during take off 20 deg allowed a 100 ft shorter takeoff roll,
0 and 40 were about the same roll for takeoff, for landing 20 feels just
right for me, I have practiced 40 deg landings,,, and it would seem
that the steep approach would only be necessary in an emergency, with 20
deg and idle, I can scare most ga pilots with my approach angle with only
20 deg, if I were to redesign the flap handle set up, I think I would
build a multi position bracket, designed like the elevator trim in the
mkiiic. that way I could have more selections available, I would add 10
and 30 deg, and maybe experiment with reflex,

boyd young mkiii

utah

Richard Pike

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Flaps or falparon on the Firestar 11 Reply with quote

byoungplumbing(at)gmail.c wrote:

I did some experimenting with the flaps, my mkiii has 0, 20, 40 deg
settings, during take off 20 deg allowed a 100 ft shorter takeoff roll,
0 and 40 were about the same roll for takeoff, for landing 20 feels just
right for me, I have practiced 40 deg landings,,, and it would seem
that the steep approach would only be necessary in an emergency, with 20
deg and idle, I can scare most ga pilots with my approach angle with only
20 deg, if I were to redesign the flap handle set up, I think I would
build a multi position bracket, designed like the elevator trim in the
mkiiic. that way I could have more selections available, I would add 10
and 30 deg, and maybe experiment with reflex,

boyd young mkiii

utah

I am very pleased with being able to put the flaps in multiple positions, even reflex. With the current setup, max is about 35 degrees, and that seems plenty. Since my place is a very short strip with "go around" not being a good option at all, I always land with full flaps. Actually, I always land everywhere with full flaps, because that is what I am used to, and what you are used to doing is what you do best.

Pictures and details here: http://www.bcchapel.org/pages/0003/pg3.htm

Forgiving is tough, being forgiven is wonderful, and God's grace really is amazing.
Eugene Zimmerman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:56 pm    Post subject: Flaps or falparon on the Firestar 11 Reply with quote

On Oct 15, 2011, at 1:26 AM, SAILNROCK wrote:

Quote:

Hi All
Has any one made flaps or done flaperons
like on the firefly? On the Firestar 11
And if so how did it come out and with what benefits?
Thanks Bob

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=355079#355079

Landing.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  55.23 KB
 Viewed:  9181 Time(s)

Landing.jpeg

IMG_8124.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  80.09 KB
 Viewed:  9181 Time(s)

IMG_8124.jpeg

John Hauck

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject: Flaps or falparon on the Firestar 11 Reply with quote

Gene Z/Gang:

The last photo was shot at Homer's, wasn't it.

Looks good.

john h
mkIII
Checotah, Oklahoma and heading for hauck's holler, alabama.

Titus, Alabama
SAILNROCK

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: Flaps or falparon on the Firestar 11 Reply with quote

Thanks All Nice reply's,
Eugene nice Pic's , Do you have any info? Did you build them? What was your improvement ?
Has any one done flaparon like on the firefly on the firestar ll ?
Great time fly'n out here in the west.
Great and safe Fly'n to all.
Bob

pj.ladd(at)btinternet.com

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:22 am    Post subject: Flaps or falparon on the Firestar 11 Reply with quote

if they feel the flaps are a worth while addition >>

Hi Boyd,

I have one of the very few Xtra`s with flaperons actuated by a handle which
sticks out from behind your right elbow.
The arrangement sucks although surprisingly you get used to it. it seems
that the kit was made just about the changeover between the old and new
companies and the new company killed the design and the flaperon system
stone dead..

As far as the efficacy of the flap system I can find no fault. It does what
it says on the tin, increases the drag, lowers the stalling speed and enable
very steep approaches. You will probably need it one day. I usually use one
notch of flap but sometimes the whole lot just for practice. Not often as
with my system the top notch is very difficult to reach.

I have no problem with flaperons as such versus flaps. I had flaperons on my
Challenger for ages but there they were part of the trimming system.
Dropping full flaperon moved the trim right forward. That does not happen
with the Kolb.

I certainly would not be without flaps or flaperon although I some times
land without them just for fun. You just take up more room on the approach.

Cheers

Pat

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: