Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UHMW Tape - possible source of concern

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanremog(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:33 pm    Post subject: UHMW Tape - possible source of concern Reply with quote

As one of the earlier adopters of the 3" wide UHMW tape as a protective strip (as opposed to the older Stainless Steel tape) when placed on the curved leading edge of the flaps, I wanted to share a possible cause of concern with all of you. Today I was working on my car and needed a wide piece of tape for an application. I immediately thought of the roll of UHMW left from my building days back in the late '90s. In the process of unreeling a length of this tape for use, I found that it broke on the liner like glass. I went thru the entire roll and it has all deteriorated to the point of unusability. The roll has been stored in a closed box for the past 14 yrs, so it never has seen UV exposure. It breaks up in a zillion shards when flexed and so it all ended up going into the waste can. Mine was bought from US Plastics but I would assume that all UHMW used in thin sections may have similar characteristics with age.

Since the flap use application on the plane is fairly stable, I think it may still be okay if left undisturbed. But if it ever gets to flaking off, I would assume that it could potentially jam the mechanism upon retraction, since the clearance to the wing skin is tight and the sharp edge it presents could catch in the break. I would encourage you all to be aware of this possibility and act accordingly.

If it ever starts coming off in pieces, I'll do the tedious complete removal process from both flaps and go back to the old tried and true Stainless Steel tape, since it doesn't degrade like this. Either that or I'll place another longer lasting strip material on the underside of the top skin where the flap curved edge wipes.

YMMV

-GV RV-6A flying 985hrs

[quote][b]

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
HCRV6(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:19 pm    Post subject: UHMW Tape - possible source of concern Reply with quote

Good tip GV. I have noticed that the UHMW on my flaps, now seven years old, has started to yellow. I will keep a close watch on this.

Harry Crosby
RV-6 N16CX, 885 hours
To: rv-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Friday, October 21, 2011 5:21:27 PM
Subject: UHMW Tape - possible source of concern

As one of the earlier adopters of the 3" wide UHMW tape as a protective strip (as opposed to the older Stainless Steel tape) when placed on the curved leading edge of the flaps, I wanted to share a possible cause of concern with all of you. Today I was working on my car and needed a wide piece of tape for an application. I immediately thought of the roll of UHMW left from my building days back in the late '90s. In the process of unreeling a length of this tape for use, I found that it broke on the liner like glass. I went thru the entire roll and it has all deteriorated to the point of unusability. The roll has been stored in a closed box for the past 14 yrs, so it never has seen UV exposure. It breaks up in a zillion shards when flexed and so it all ended up going into the waste can. Mine was bought from US Plastics but I would assume that all UHMW used in thin sections may have similar characteristics with age.

Since the flap use application on the plane is fairly stable, I think it may still be okay if left undisturbed. But if it ever gets to flaking off, I would assume that it could potentially jam the mechanism upon retraction, since the clearance to the wing skin is tight and the sharp edge it presents could catch in the break. I would encourage you all to be aware of this possibility and act accordingly.

If it ever starts coming off in pieces, I'll do the tedious complete removal process from both flaps and go back to the old tried and true Stainless Steel tape, since it doesn't degrade like this. Either that or I'll place another longer lasting strip material on the underside of the top skin where the flap curved edge wipes.

YMMV

-GV RV-6A flying 985hrs

[quote]
[b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

kboatright1(at)comcast.ne

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:34 pm    Post subject: UHMW Tape - possible source of concern Reply with quote

I replaced the UHMW flap tape on my airplane a month or so ago. The wear layer had become brittle and had begun to delaminate from the other (2?) layers. Removing the wear layer was easy, but the other two layers were a bear until I checked with my friends at a local auto paint store. They pointed me towards a vinyl striping removal wheel like this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0020HQRQC/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00063VT0G&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0SHHTFTYBF2GY0RN4ZXH

Basically a 3" diameter eraser that uses friction to heat, then shear off the remaining layers of the tape. One wheel was just enough to do the job (the wheel wears down during the process).

With this tool, it took 30 minutes to clean off each flap. I used one of the clear films (like for rock protection on cars) as a replacement for the UHMW. It applied easily, but it'll be a few years before I can report on how well it holds up.

Kyle Boatright
2001 RV-6

[quote] ---

Terry Watson

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:05 pm    Post subject: UHMW Tape - possible source of concern Reply with quote

A few years back, I used the tape that I had bought for the wear protection on my flaps and put it on the top edge of the tailgate of my pickup to protect the paint from being rubbed off by the bottom edge of the canopy rear opening window. It actually wasn’t very long before it became yellow and brittle. I decided to use something else on the flaps. Unfortunately, I never got far enough on my RV-8A to need to find a better tape.

Terry

From: owner-rv-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of vanremog(at)aol.com
Sent: Friday, October 21, 2011 5:21 PM

YMMV

-GV RV-6A flying 985hrs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

herronpvf(at)sbcglobal.ne

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:59 pm    Post subject: UHMW Tape - possible source of concern Reply with quote

My UMHW tape was installed in late 2008/early 2009, probably was ordered from Vans’s no earlier than 2005. I was very disappointed in how poorly it held up, it is doing exactly as you describe, extensively cracked and in some places pieces have come off. So far I’ve just been keeping an eye on it, although I really should strip it off and replace it with something better. I’m not too concerned about it jamming the flaps, although it certainly is a theoretical possibility. For one thing, it’s so broken up that no individual piece would be more than an inch or two wide. I think it would be more likely to catch the edge of the upper wing skin and just pop off. Definitely near the top of my squawk list though.

Anyone know of a better brand of UMHW, or another alternative? I did see mention of stainless steel tape in one response.

Al in Hangtown CA
RV-7A, 175 hrs

From: owner-rv-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of vanremog(at)aol.com

YMMV

-GV RV-6A flying 985hrs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

JohnCiolino(at)carolina.r

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:45 pm    Post subject: UHMW Tape - possible source of concern Reply with quote

Try www.flyboyaccessories.com. Look under “Heat, Sound, Paint and Trim”. The product he sells (I think) is the 3M protective tape used to protect auto bottom and nose panels from rocks and road grit. Best thing is that it is applied wet with a water/alcohol mixture so it can be repositioned it you don’t get it on straight on the first try. The literature also says it can be easily removed within the first 5 years.

John Ciolino
RV-8
N894Y

From: owner-rv-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Al & Gail Herron
Sent: Saturday, October 22, 2011 12:53 AM
Subject: RE: UHMW Tape - possible source of concern

My UMHW tape was installed in late 2008/early 2009, probably was ordered from Vans’s no earlier than 2005. I was very disappointed in how poorly it held up, it is doing exactly as you describe, extensively cracked and in some places pieces have come off. So far I’ve just been keeping an eye on it, although I really should strip it off and replace it with something better. I’m not too concerned about it jamming the flaps, although it certainly is a theoretical possibility. For one thing, it’s so broken up that no individual piece would be more than an inch or two wide. I think it would be more likely to catch the edge of the upper wing skin and just pop off. Definitely near the top of my squawk list though.

Anyone know of a better brand of UMHW, or another alternative? I did see mention of stainless steel tape in one response.

Al in Hangtown CA
RV-7A, 175 hrs

YMMV

-GV RV-6A flying 985hrs

Quote:
 http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List http://forums.matronics.com<   - List Contribution Web Site -http://www.matronics.com/contribution
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

[quote][b]

yenduc(at)me.com

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:12 am    Post subject: UHMW Tape - possible source of concern Reply with quote

I agree 3M tape works fine. Just a note put it along the underside of the wing where the flap rubs rather than on the flaps. No unsightly yellowing tape (after a few years) that way.

good luck
dave

On Oct 22, 2011, at 12:38 AM, John Ciolino wrote:
Quote:
Try www.flyboyaccessories.com. Look under “Heat, Sound, Paint and Trim”. The product he sells (I think) is the 3M protective tape used to protect auto bottom and nose panels from rocks and road grit. Best thing is that it is applied wet with a water/alcohol mixture so it can be repositioned it you don’t get it on straight on the first try. The literature also says it can be easily removed within the first 5 years.

John Ciolino
RV-8
N894Y

From: owner-rv-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-rv-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Al & Gail Herron
Sent: Saturday, October 22, 2011 12:53 AM
To: rv-list(at)matronics.com (rv-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: RE: UHMW Tape - possible source of concern

Al in Hangtown CA
RV-7A, 175 hrs

From: owner-rv-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-rv-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of vanremog(at)aol.com (vanremog(at)aol.com)
To: rv-list(at)matronics.com (rv-list(at)matronics.com)

YMMV

-GV RV-6A flying 985hrs
Quote:
http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List http://forums.matronics.com<   - List Contribution Web Site -http://www.matronics.com/contribution
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

robin(at)PaintTheWeb.com

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:19 am    Post subject: UHMW Tape - possible source of concern Reply with quote

GV,
We recently removed my 3 year old UHMW tape from my RV-10 flaps due to unsightly pealing in the corner. It was not difficult to remove with heat but also probably because it was not many years old. We have since replaced it with SS tape. Hopefully the SS will hold up but I have my concerns.
What are people recommending for placing on the underside of the wing skin to prevent/minimize abrasion of the SS Tape or flap? I have heard people using the "loop" side of Velcro as the buffer but I am not sure it's ideal due to its thickness. Any suggestions out there?

Thanks,
Robin

[img]cid:image001.jpg(at)01CC90A2.ADEF13D0[/img]

YMMV

-GV RV-6A flying 985hrs

Quote:
==============[/b][/quote] V-List Email Forum -[/b][/quote] >[/b][/quote] :p>[/b][/quote] /o:p>[/b][/quote] tor?RV-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List[/b][/quote] ==============[/b][/quote] bsp; - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS -[/b][/quote] :p>[/b][/quote] tp://forums.matronics.com[/b][/quote] ==============[/b][/quote] bsp; - List Contribution Web Site -[/b][/quote] e> bsp;   -Matt Dralle, List Admin.[/b][/quote] bution">http://www.matronics.com/contribution[/b][/quote] ==============[/b] [/quote]

No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
:p>

image001.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  76.09 KB
 Viewed:  3748 Time(s)

image001.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: