Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Heated Pitot on Fin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tonyrenshaw268(at)gmail.c

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:08 pm    Post subject: Heated Pitot on Fin Reply with quote

Gidday,
I am fantasizing about the possibility of preserving reliable pitot static for my aircraft, in cloud. Not much point being in cloud and having things freeze up on you, so the complexities of having a hot pitot close to the underside of a classic solid wing is making me wonder about the early setup, way back when. I figure if I mount a fin pitot, of an appropriate length I may not have the disconnection and reconnection issues, and might better suit single handed rigging. So, if I had a heated pitot on an appropriate boom I seem to recall at high body attitudes it used to get disturbed airflow from the fuse. So, is there another way I haven't considered? Thanks in anticipation, and I suppose it begs the question, can I not simply fly GPS groundspeed in conjunction with an approximate wind, and AoA? If I use my Dynon D180 it has an AoA indicator, but I think it's airspeed derived. My GPS has GPS altitude, and I reckon it wld get me out of trouble. I am not suggesting prolonged IFR but..........you know.
Reg
Tony Renshaw

Sent from my iPad

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:18 pm    Post subject: Heated Pitot on Fin Reply with quote

Tony,
I wouldn't even contemplate it. You have enough experience to get out of the woods.
I only fly on beautiful days looking outside at the stunning views and for other aircraft rather then in the flight deck, ( can't say 'cockpit' now) at the electronics. I get enough of that at work! On saying that I do have 3 GPS, one for my IPad that my son likes to play with, one in my old 295 Garmin and one in the Aware to keep me aware of controlled Airspace! So I can't talk. At work we only have 1 out of 5 Boeing 767's that has GPS. It's a funny world.
Great landing in Warsaw with the Lot 767 belly landing! Good to know it can be done. So British Airways have done it with the 777, great piece of flying, so only the 747 to go, Tony!

Cheers Tim

P.s Don't get locked out!

Tim Ward
12 Waiwetu Street
Fendalton,
Christchurch, 8052
New Zealand.

ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz

Ph 64 3 3515166
Mob 0210640221
On 3/11/2011, at 3:20 AM, Tony Renshaw <tonyrenshaw268(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Quote:

Gidday,
I am fantasizing about the possibility of preserving reliable pitot static for my aircraft, in cloud. Not much point being in cloud and having things freeze up on you, so the complexities of having a hot pitot close to the underside of a classic solid wing is making me wonder about the early setup, way back when. I figure if I mount a fin pitot, of an appropriate length I may not have the disconnection and reconnection issues, and might better suit single handed rigging. So, if I had a heated pitot on an appropriate boom I seem to recall at high body attitudes it used to get disturbed airflow from the fuse. So, is there another way I haven't considered? Thanks in anticipation, and I suppose it begs the question, can I not simply fly GPS groundspeed in conjunction with an approximate wind, and AoA? If I use my Dynon D180 it has an AoA indicator, but I think it's airspeed derived. My GPS has GPS altitude, and I reckon it wld get me out of trouble. I am not suggesting prolonged!
IFR but..........you know.
Reg
Tony Renshaw

Sent from my iPad

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

paul.the.aviator(at)gmail

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:49 pm    Post subject: Heated Pitot on Fin Reply with quote

Hi Tony,

I think your trying to solve a problem that doesn't need solving.  Grab a beer and go think about something else Smile

Cheers,  Paul

Do not archive

On Wednesday, November 2, 2011, Tony Renshaw <tonyrenshaw268(at)gmail.com (tonyrenshaw268(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
> --> Europa-List message posted by: Tony Renshaw <tonyrenshaw268(at)gmail.com (tonyrenshaw268(at)gmail.com)>
Quote:

Gidday,
I am fantasizing about the possibility of preserving reliable pitot static for my aircraft, in cloud. Not much point being in cloud and having things freeze up on you, so the complexities of having a hot pitot close to the underside of a classic solid wing is making me wonder about the early setup, way back when. I figure if I mount a fin pitot, of an appropriate length I may not have the disconnection and reconnection issues, and might better suit single handed rigging. So, if I had a heated pitot on an appropriate boom I seem to recall at high body attitudes it used to get disturbed airflow from the fuse. So, is there another way I haven't considered? Thanks in anticipation, and I suppose it begs the question, can I not simply fly GPS groundspeed in conjunction with an approximate wind, and AoA? If I use my Dynon D180 it has an AoA indicator, but I think it's airspeed derived. My GPS has GPS altitude, and I reckon it wld get me out of trouble. I am not suggesting prolonged!
>  IFR but..........you know.

Quote:
Reg
Tony Renshaw

[quote][b]

frans(at)privatepilots.nl

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:03 am    Post subject: Heated Pitot on Fin Reply with quote

On 11/02/2011 03:20 PM, Tony Renshaw wrote:
Quote:
I am fantasizing about the possibility of preserving reliable pitot
static for my aircraft, in cloud.

I found that cockpit static is surprisingly close to correct neutral
static. Of course it depends a bit on leak rate of the doors and other
variables, but it ought to be enough to keep you out of trouble.

I have two pitots, the original Europa supplied one connected to the
conventional ASI, the other one on Mark Burton's SmartASS Talking
Airspeed Indicator.
For one of the pitots I provided the wiring necessary to add pitot heat.
My plan is to get some resistant wiring, wrap it around the pitot, and
seal it off with heat shrink tube.
Heated pitots are ridiculously expensive and it is my intent to stay out
of icing at all costs. I'm not IFR-rated and the majority of my flying
is during the warm season with freezing levels way above the oxygen limit.

Quote:
So, if I had a heated pitot on an appropriate boom I seem to recall

I have the feeling that prop wash is likely to hit that area.

Frans

tonyrenshaw268(at)gmail.c

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:11 am    Post subject: Heated Pitot on Fin Reply with quote

Geez Tim ,what are you doing !!
I am jinxed now for sure. Wink
He did a good job. Was surprised he didn't put the nose on. If landing distance was an issue I suppose he would have. Must have trimmed all the way through the deceleration, otherwise as you know, the elevator loses authority big time. One of my heaviest landings in the 767 was in base training where a contemporary landed well on the mains, and didn't fly the nosewheel down. It fell from about 5', or certainly it felt like that. Like I said, one of the heaviest I have been in, and we were already on the ground.
Nice touchdown too, and the eye height would have been different. It must have felt really weird out the windows with the horizon up around the coaming and his ears.
I think I will heed your advice re the probe. It would make it easier to not have to disconnect all the plumbing to single man rig though, but I have already set up the plumbing in the wing, up around the tip and back down behind the spar to exit the wing a few inches aft of the spar. I think I've got some quick connect pneumatic couplings somewhere that I bought over the years. Now what box did I put them in??
Reg
Tony Renshaw

On 03/11/2011, at 10:15 AM, Tim Ward wrote:

Quote:

Tony,
I wouldn't even contemplate it. You have enough experience to get out of the woods.
I only fly on beautiful days looking outside at the stunning views and for other aircraft rather then in the flight deck, ( can't say 'cockpit' now) at the electronics. I get enough of that at work! On saying that I do have 3 GPS, one for my IPad that my son likes to play with, one in my old 295 Garmin and one in the Aware to keep me aware of controlled Airspace! So I can't talk. At work we only have 1 out of 5 Boeing 767's that has GPS. It's a funny world.
Great landing in Warsaw with the Lot 767 belly landing! Good to know it can be done. So British Airways have done it with the 777, great piece of flying, so only the 747 to go, Tony!

Cheers Tim

P.s Don't get locked out!

Tim Ward
12 Waiwetu Street
Fendalton,
Christchurch, 8052
New Zealand.

ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz

Ph 64 3 3515166
Mob 0210640221

On 3/11/2011, at 3:20 AM, Tony Renshaw <tonyrenshaw268(at)gmail.com> wrote:

>
>
> Gidday,
> I am fantasizing about the possibility of preserving reliable pitot static for my aircraft, in cloud. Not much point being in cloud and having things freeze up on you, so the complexities of having a hot pitot close to the underside of a classic solid wing is making me wonder about the early setup, way back when. I figure if I mount a fin pitot, of an appropriate length I may not have the disconnection and reconnection issues, and might better suit single handed rigging. So, if I had a heated pitot on an appropriate boom I seem to recall at high body attitudes it used to get disturbed airflow from the fuse. So, is there another way I haven't considered? Thanks in anticipation, and I suppose it begs the question, can I not simply fly GPS groundspeed in conjunction with an approximate wind, and AoA? If I use my Dynon D180 it has an AoA indicator, but I think it's airspeed derived. My GPS has GPS altitude, and I reckon it wld get me out of trouble. I am not suggesting prolong!
ed!
> IFR but..........you know.
> Reg
> Tony Renshaw
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
>
>
>

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: