Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Save a few bucks on headsets

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AirMike

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:54 pm    Post subject: Save a few bucks on headsets Reply with quote

For those of you finishing up who need headsets, here is a money saving idea. I just Bought a Bose QC-15 headset at the extra holiday savings deal of -10% or $270. This is the headset that is sold to airline passengers, but there is an add-on from UFlyMike, LLC that makes an after market mic for $225 + $7 shipping. For $500 bucks total, you have a really cool and lightweight uber-noice-cancelling headset. Plus the headset can still be used as a super nice headset for music, air travel, etc.
There is no permanent mod to the headset, just plug in and go.

Might not fly as your primary headset, but sure makes for a great backup or co-pilot headset. After flying in 152/172's with doggy D/C's my hearing is shot. Whether you go this route or another, I cannot encourage you strongly enough to get some good noise canceling headsets. Deafness only advantage is that you can tell your wife that you didn't hear her !

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List

Kellym

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:20 am    Post subject: Save a few bucks on headsets Reply with quote

Some vendors have been offering used Bose X headsets in about same price
range. Some folks have offered to sell their Bose X or Zulu headsets so
they can upgrade to the latest models.

On 12/11/2011 10:54 PM, AirMike wrote:
Quote:

For those of you finishing up who need headsets, here is a money saving idea. I just Bought a Bose QC-15 headset at the extra holiday savings deal of -10% or $270. This is the headset that is sold to airline passengers, but there is an add-on from UFlyMike, LLC that makes an after market mic for $225 + $7 shipping. For $500 bucks total, you have a really cool and lightweight uber-noice-cancelling headset. Plus the headset can still be used as a super nice headset for music, air travel, etc.
There is no permanent mod to the headset, just plug in and go.

Might not fly as your primary headset, but sure makes for a great backup or co-pilot headset. After flying in 152/172's with doggy D/C's my hearing is shot. Whether you go this route or another, I cannot encourage you strongly enough to get some good noise canceling headsets. Deafness only advantage is that you can tell your wife that you didn't hear her !

--------
See you OSH '12
Q/B - flying 2 yrs.

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=360731#360731

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

dmaib@me.com

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Save a few bucks on headsets Reply with quote

I started flying with the Bose/UFlyMike setup several years ago while I was flying for a living. First with the QC-2, and now with the QC-15. I have been very happy with the combo. The UFlyMike microphone is very good quality. The only heads up, is that when the single AAA battery goes dead, the headset is inop. The battery lasts for forty or more hours. I change the battery once a month, or prior to a long cross country. UFLyMike also sells a TSO'd model that includes ear buds that you wear with the headset. Kind of a belt and suspenders approach, but it removes the threat of battery failure causing lost commo. The QC-15 indicator light blinks on and off red when you turn it on, if the battery is low. I read somewhere that it also gives some clicks or tones in the headset with a low battery, but I don't know if that is correct.
The battery issue makes it a non-starter for some folks, but I am a long time user that is very happy with the setup. It is comfortable, very light weight, and great quality sound.

RV-10 #40559
New Smyrna Beach, FL
AirMike

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:17 am    Post subject: Save a few bucks on headsets Reply with quote

Lightspeed has an excellent "trade-up" program for factory direct purchases right now at http://www.lightspeedaviation.com

Their lightspeeds are great. The advantage of the Bose QC15 is that it gives you a dual-use headset and it is very light. Might be a better choice for women and kids who do not want a conventional heavy aviation headset with high clamping force.

robin(at)PaintTheWeb.com

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:58 am    Post subject: Save a few bucks on headsets Reply with quote

I purchased my first 2 Bose X at full price new. The next 4 I purchased used but in good to excellent condition never paying more than $500.00 all in. Now that the new Bose plus a few more premium options are available I expect more used Bose X headsets will come to the resale market in that price range.
I do like the inventiveness of the UFlyMike unit but feel it's a touch pricy when added to the Bose QC-15 which is also overpriced (IMHO). I own a QC-15 (free gift with purchase) and it's nice for what it is but it's not worth nearly $300.00. Typical Bose $ premium.

Just my opinion,
Robin
Do Not Archive

--

msausen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:55 am    Post subject: Save a few bucks on headsets Reply with quote

That's been my thought too, I have a set that I got for credit card or another frequent traveler program. I wouldn't pay that much for them normally but the cost of adding the uflymike microphone to them make it my primary plan for the back seaters. I would never use them in the front seat as they loose all audio if the battery dies.

Michael

Sent from my iPad2

On Dec 12, 2011, at 11:11 AM, "Robin Marks" <robin(at)PaintTheWeb.com> wrote:

[quote]

I purchased my first 2 Bose X at full price new. The next 4 I purchased used but in good to excellent condition never paying more than $500.00 all in. Now that the new Bose plus a few more premium options are available I expect more used Bose X headsets will come to the resale market in that price range.
I do like the inventiveness of the UFlyMike unit but feel it's a touch pricy when added to the Bose QC-15 which is also overpriced (IMHO). I own a QC-15 (free gift with purchase) and it's nice for what it is but it's not worth nearly $300.00. Typical Bose $ premium.

Just my opinion,
Robin
Do Not Archive

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: