Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MK3x wings leading edge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rick Lewis

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:12 pm    Post subject: MK3x wings leading edge Reply with quote

My intentions this summer was to cover my wings but everything else got in the way so nothing happened. Now it's cold weather and I will be bringing my uncovered wings back home to work on. That's really pitiful if you stop and think about it. It took me only 3 weeks to build them and now it's been over a year since I've touched them. Embarassed

I have had two mechanics ask me if I was planning on sheeting the leading edge of the wings several inches back, before covering. I told them no but it has gotten me to thinking about this. I can see some reasons for this but what do you guy's think. It would be easy enough to do and would add very little weight. This would also make and easy bonding area for the cloth.

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

(VW Watercooled Engine)
John Hauck

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:32 pm    Post subject: MK3x wings leading edge Reply with quote

I have had two mechanics ask me if I was planning on sheeting the
leading edge of the wings several inches back
Rick Lewis

Rick L/Kolbers:

Based on observation of others that have, it will not improve performance.

I don't know if it will degrade the wing's capabilities or not.

I have never used a sheet metal leading edge on a Kolb. Homer did a good
job designing the wing. I fly it like Homer intended.

john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Titus, Alabama
captainron1(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:56 pm    Post subject: MK3x wings leading edge Reply with quote

Amazing!!! this is one of the things I have been thinking about, my latest iteration of it is the have fiberglass cloth stretched over it, seems pretty simple and easy, wet it first have it spread between two 1x1 planks of wood and stretch it over the leading edges and secure the planks with bungi cords till it cures. Should have a perfect fit. However I do remember a thread from a few years ago when that was discussed and the consensus was to not do it as it would contribute nothing!!! So I don't know which way to go on this topic.
========================
---- Rick Lewis <cktman(at)hughes.net> wrote:

=============

My intentions this summer was to cover my wings but everything else got in the way so nothing happened. Now it's cold weather and I will be bringing my uncovered wings back home to work on. That's really pittiful if you stop and think about it. It took me only 3 weeks to build them and now it's been over a years since I've touched them. [Embarassed]

I have had two mechanics ask me if I was planning on sheeting the leading edge of the wings several inches back, before covering. I told them no but it has gotten me to thinking about this. I can see some reasons for this but what do you guy's think. It would be easy enough to do and would add very little weight. This would also make and easy bonding area for the cloth.

--------
Rick Lewis

(VW Watercooled Engine)

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=361420#361420

--
kugelair.com

williamtsullivan(at)att.n

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:44 am    Post subject: MK3x wings leading edge Reply with quote

Rick- The discussion of putting metal on the leading edge was about two years ago. I had asked about it, because my Firestar came with two sets of wings. One had the first 15" or so with a flashing thickness of aluminum under the Stits. There is no gain to it, and it only adds weight and additional labor. John's advice is solid- they work best as Homer designed them. Save yourself the time, weight, money, and labor, and just go stock.
You might find the comments in the archives under "Firestar rebuild".

Bill Sullivan
    Windsor Locks, Ct.
        FS 447

--- On Thu, 12/22/11, Ron (at) KFHU <captainron1(at)cox.net> wrote:
[quote]
Subject: Re: Kolb-List: MK3x wings leading edge
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com
Date: Thursday, December 22, 2011, 1:53 AM

--> Kolb-List message posted by: "Ron (at) KFHU" <[url=/mc/compose?to=captainron1(at)cox.net]captainron1(at)cox.net[/url]>

Amazing!!! this is one of the things I have been thinking about, my latest iteration of it is the have fiberglass cloth stretched over it, seems pretty simple and easy, wet it first have it spread between two 1x1 planks of wood and stretch it over the leading edges and secure the planks with bungi cords till it cures. Should have a perfect fit. However I do remember a thread from a few years ago when that was discussed and the consensus was to not do it as it would contribute nothing!!! So I don't know which way to go on this topic.
========================
---- Rick Lewis <[url=/mc/compose?to=cktman(at)hughes.net]cktman(at)hughes.net[/url]> wrote:

=============
--> Kolb-List message posted by: "Rick Lewis" <[url=/mc/compose?to=cktman(at)hughes.net]cktman(at)hughes.net[/url]>

My intentions this summer was to cover my wings but everything else got in the way so nothing happened. Now it's cold weather and I will be bringing my uncovered wings back home to work on. That's really pittiful if you stop and think about it. It took me only 3 weeks to build them and now it's been over a years since I've touched them. [Embarassed]

--------
Rick Lewis

(VW Watercooled Engine)

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=361420#361420

--
kugelair.com[b]http://www.matronics.com/contribusp; -Matt Dralle, List Adm --> http======================== [quote][b]

Richard Pike

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: MK3x wings leading edge Reply with quote

Rick Lewis wrote:
<snip> I have had two mechanics ask me if I was planning on sheeting the leading edge of the wings several inches back, before covering. I told them no but it has gotten me to thinking about this. I can see some reasons for this but what do you guy's think. It would be easy enough to do and would add very little weight. This would also make and easy bonding area for the cloth.

Total waste of time and money. If it only adds 2 pounds, it's still a waste of time and money. As far as bonding area for the cloth - you will get all the bonding area you need when you wrap the cloth around the leading edge.

Forgiving is tough, being forgiven is wonderful, and God's grace really is amazing.
Eugene Zimmerman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:46 am    Post subject: MK3x wings leading edge Reply with quote

Yup, and not only that , but even the slightest little bump and you have a permanent unsightly ding.

On Dec 22, 2011, at 8:40 AM, Richard Pike wrote:
[quote]Total waste of time and money. If it only adds 2 pounds, it's still a waste of time and money. As far as bonding area for the cloth - you will get all the bonding area you need when you wrap the cloth around the leading edge.

--------
Richard Pike
Kolb MKIII N420P (420ldPoops)
richard (at) bcchapel(dot)org
Kingsport, TN 3TN0
Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
Hebrews 11:1[b]

Jimmy Young

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:36 am    Post subject: Re: MK3x wings leading edge Reply with quote

Would an alum. sheet leading edge offer much in the way of leading edge protection, say in the event of a bird strike? It seems to me it may.

I recall reading a post about John H. having a leading edge failure years back.

Jimmy Young
Kolb FS II, HKS propelled
Houston, TX

Dana

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:12 am    Post subject: MK3x wings leading edge Reply with quote

Leading edge sheeting is generally used in aircraft with a full depth flat spar, not a tube spar like our Kolbs. When you sheet the leading edge and attach it top and bottom to a flat spar, it forms a "D-tube" and provides a great deal of torsional rigidity (which is provided on Kolbs by the large tube spar).

I suspect a sheeted leading edge would be damaged more by a bird strike than fabric... and harder to repair, too.

John H's leading edge failure was, I believe, caused by failure of the internal diagonal bracing inside the wing.

As soon as you add rigid structure to an aircraft you essentially have a new design, and need to have the ability to do a full structural analysis of the new structure. Adding structure to make one area stronger can move the load paths and actually make the total structure weaker.

-Dana

At 05:37 AM 12/23/2011, Jimmy Young wrote:
Quote:
--> Kolb-List message posted by: "Jimmy Young" <jdy100(at)comcast.net>

Would an alum. sheet leading edge offer much in the way of leading edge protection, say in the event of a bird strike? It seems to me it may.

I recall reading a post about John H. having a leading edge failure years back.

--
Why are hemorrhoids called "hemorrhoids" instead of "assteroids"?
[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: