Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

This is what needs to change / changes in EAA?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eugene Zimmerman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:57 am    Post subject: This is what needs to change / changes in EAA? Reply with quote

Ok guys,
This old man is going to stick his old neck way out here.
What this sport actually needs is more courageous young men with the philosophy of the young Homer Kolb who reasoned that if he could climb to the top of dad's silo without any kind certificate, he could build his own kind of plane and fly to the same height over the farm without any kind certificate.

The late seventies and early eighties was a era when this renegade aviation paradigm flourished in the hearts of YOUNG men, and because of it this sport grew by leaps and bounds.
Since that time this unique sport has atrophied to its present sorry state because timid old men have been cowed into a preoccupation of protecting their ass-ets by seeking governmental approval for every dream they wish to pursue.
Todays young men have been robbed of the opportunity of purchasing affordable good USED ultralight planes by old men preoccupied by their fear and disapproval of legalistic "fat" that has been the backbone hardware of this sport since from its beginning heyday.
Rich old men have just about succeeded in killing the sport pioneered in the U.S. by courageous young renegades espousing aviation paradigms like Homer Kolb and others like him had back in the seventies and eighties..
In order to flourish again this sport must return to its courageous root paradigms.
Ok now ,, here's my old head,,, chop it off.
Gene Z

On Jan 17, 2012, at 8:08 AM, Pat Ladd wrote:
[quote]Hi,
As you are probably aware we do not have anything like the Experimental Category in the UK.

Since the Thirties there has been the Popular Flying Association which in the early days promoted information and plans for light aircraft. Planes discussed were small, light, generally single seaters, probably the best known being the Mignet Flying Flea. This continued for many years. Planes became a bit bigger and more sophisticated and included factory built planes. Moths etc. Popular Flying was the magazine for the light aircraft devotee.

Hang gliders came along which evolved into microlights. After a dodgy start with no regulation and a few deaths an Association of microlight pilots was formed with their own magazine. Luckily Anne Welch, who had been involved in the British Gliding Association since very early gliding days realised the parallels between the development of early microlights and early gliders. She became involved and with others piloted the emerging Microlight Assoc. into a position where they ran their own autonomous Association, supplied instructors, agreed their own specifications of what a microlight was, their own inspectors, their own licences for pilots and aircraft etc. all under the auspices of the Board of Trade and CAA. The basis of `keep your nose clean and we won`t interfere` was and is well established.government attitude.

Naturally there has been some conflict between the Popular Flying Assoc.,( now the Light Aircraft Assoc).,.and the Microlight fraternity over jurisdiction and there have been efforts to merge the two organisations. These have failed, unfortunately in my view, as I have to be a member of both which is unnecessarily expensive. The Light Aircraft Assoc has now approved their first four seater plane so is moving farther from the microlight end which is my interest .

Looking at your problems with the EAA from the outside it would seem that you either have to attend all EAA meetings, propose motions, get them seconded and passed by working the `proper` organisation route and change things from the inside or form your own organisation.

That of course means a lot of work for someone. A respected organisation which can negotiate from strength on your behalf with the FAA, insurance companies etc has to be legal with a proper framework of representation and so on to be taken seriously.

Unfortunately the Experimental attitude as with our Microlight attitude is not attractive to people who only want to build and fly. Not mess about with `office work`
People who will do it can be found however, we have proved it in the UK but it is not easy.

Forgive a limey for intruding on your turf but roughly this is the way it has happened here, for what its worth

Pat
Quote:

href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
href="http://forums.matronics.com">http://forums.matronics.com
href="http://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[b]

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
captainron1(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: This is what needs to change / changes in EAA? Reply with quote

Well
I think there is quite a few of us still around who have yet to grow up. Ultralights are fun, hang gliding is fun, flying inside of a spam can is not fun for me. I have never been an "organization man" like to do things my way, causes a lot of trouble a lot of the time. But I recognize that an organization is needed to counteract the over paid bureaucrats in DC. Having my own stinking bureaucrats fighting the official over paid bureaucrats while I struggle to make a buck to pay them all is a necessary evil.
Problem is my bureaucrats (AOPA and EAA) get spooled around the axle and they stop fighting the over paid DC bureaucrats. Probably because over time they evolve into a symbiotic relationship with one another. Solution is clean house if possible on our side, and lobby congress to cut the budget of the FAA to near starvation. Money is fuel for the bureaucracy, no money small bureaucracy, less of them to mess with us.
The issue at its core is big bureaucracy little freedom, less bureaucrats more freedom.

Ron Mason
KFHU

do not archive
=============================

---- Eugene Zimmerman <etzimm(at)gmail.com> wrote:

=============
Ok guys,

What this sport actually needs is more courageous young men with the philosophy of the young Homer Kolb who reasoned that if he could climb to the top of dad's silo without any kind certificate, he could build his own kind of plane and fly to the same height over the farm without any kind certificate.

The late seventies and early eighties was a era when this renegade aviation paradigm flourished in the hearts of YOUNG men, and because of it this sport grew by leaps and bounds.
Since that time this unique sport has atrophied to its present sorry state because timid old men have been cowed into a preoccupation of protecting their ass-ets by seeking governmental approval for every dream they wish to pursue.
Todays young men have been robbed of the opportunity of purchasing affordable good USED ultralight planes by old men preoccupied by their fear and disapproval of legalistic "fat" that has been the backbone hardware of this sport since from its beginning heyday.

Rich old men have just about succeeded in killing the sport pioneered in the U.S. by courageous young renegades espousing aviation paradigms like Homer Kolb and others like him had back in the seventies and eighties..

In order to flourish again this sport must return to its courageous root paradigms.

Gene Z

Quote:
Hi,
As you are probably aware we do not have anything like the Experimental Category in the UK.

Since the Thirties there has been the Popular Flying Association which in the early days promoted information and plans for light aircraft. Planes discussed were small, light, generally single seaters, probably the best known being the Mignet Flying Flea. This continued for many years. Planes became a bit bigger and more sophisticated and included factory built planes. Moths etc. Popular Flying was the magazine for the light aircraft devotee.

Hang gliders came along which evolved into microlights. After a dodgy start with no regulation and a few deaths an Association of microlight pilots was formed with their own magazine. Luckily Anne Welch, who had been involved in the British Gliding Association since very early gliding days realised the parallels between the development of early microlights and early gliders. She became involved and with others piloted the emerging Microlight Assoc. into a position where they ran their own autonomous Association, supplied instructors, agreed their own specifications of what a microlight was, their own inspectors, their own licences for pilots and aircraft etc. all under the auspices of the Board of Trade and CAA. The basis of `keep your nose clean and we won`t interfere` was and is well established.government attitude.

Naturally there has been some conflict between the Popular Flying Assoc.,( now the Light Aircraft Assoc).,.and the Microlight fraternity over jurisdiction and there have been efforts to merge the two organisations. These have failed, unfortunately in my view, as I have to be a member of both which is unnecessarily expensive. The Light Aircraft Assoc has now approved their first four seater plane so is moving farther from the microlight end which is my interest .

Looking at your problems with the EAA from the outside it would seem that you either have to attend all EAA meetings, propose motions, get them seconded and passed by working the `proper` organisation route and change things from the inside or form your own organisation.

That of course means a lot of work for someone. A respected organisation which can negotiate from strength on your behalf with the FAA, insurance companies etc has to be legal with a proper framework of representation and so on to be taken seriously.

Unfortunately the Experimental attitude as with our Microlight attitude is not attractive to people who only want to build and fly. Not mess about with `office work`
People who will do it can be found however, we have proved it in the UK but it is not easy.

Forgive a limey for intruding on your turf but roughly this is the way it has happened here, for what its worth

Pat

--
kugelair.com

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

John Hauck

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: This is what needs to change / changes in EAA? Reply with quote

Gene Z
Quote:
Gene Z/Kolbers: I was overwhelmed when I finally got to go to Army Flight School at the ripe old age of 29. I thought I would never get the chance, but I did. I loved flying helicopters, more so in a combat environment than peace time. Didn't have to worry too much about peace time flying because when I returned from VN there wasn't much flying to be done by a young Army helicopter pilot. Most everything was done by the reg with virtually no freedom of flight. After 4 years of retirement from the Army, I missed flying but could not afford to fly civilian aircraft. Besides, I never got a fixed wing transition. Along comes Homer Kolb and his little Ultrastar. Bought the kit in Feb 1984, received it in Mar and flew it the first time in June, self educated and self taught in fixed wing flying. Never had the first lesson, flew over 1,100.0 hours in my first two Kolbs. Got a Private Ticket in 1990, when I decided to build the MKIII and fly it to Alaska. Had to have one then, or I would have stuck to ultra lights and no license. My first flight was all I needed to know I had found the kind of flying I really enjoyed. The primary reason I enjoyed ultralight was the complete freedom I had to build, modify, and fly. And I did. I was a free bird. I flew when and where I wanted to, and how I wanted to. May not have been in compliance with Part 103, but I was far enough away from the flag pole not to have to worry about the Feds.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

Titus, Alabama
Eugene Zimmerman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: This is what needs to change / changes in EAA? Reply with quote

John,Well exemplified in real life, and well articulated.
Thanks,

On Jan 17, 2012, at 6:03 PM, John Hauck wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Gene Z/Kolbers: I was overwhelmed when I finally got to go to Army Flight School at the ripe old age of 29. I thought I would never get the chance, but I did. I loved flying helicopters, more so in a combat environment than peace time. Didn't have to worry too much about peace time flying because when I returned from VN there wasn't much flying to be done by a young Army helicopter pilot. Most everything was done by the reg with virtually no freedom of flight. After 4 years of retirement from the Army, I missed flying but could not afford to fly civilian aircraft. Besides, I never got a fixed wing transition. Along comes Homer Kolb and his little Ultrastar. Bought the kit in Feb 1984, received it in Mar and flew it the first time in June, self educated and self taught in fixed wing flying. Never had the first lesson, flew over 1,100.0 hours in my first two Kolbs. Got a Private Ticket in 1990, when I decided to build the MKIII and fly it to Alaska. Had to have one then, or I would have stuck to ultra lights and no license. My first flight was all I needed to know I had found the kind of flying I really enjoyed. The primary reason I enjoyed ultralight was the complete freedom I had to build, modify, and fly. And I did. I was a free bird. I flew when and where I wanted to, and how I wanted to. May not have been in compliance with Part 103, but I was far enough away from the flag pole not to have to worry about the Feds. 8 Years and two Kolbs later, I find myself flying an N numbered MKIII. As much fun as it was to fly the MKIII, having an N number and a Private Ticket encouraged me to be more cognizant of the flying regs. I stopped taking off and landing on taxiways because it was quicker or because they pointed into the wind more. Stopped landing on roads and refueling at gas stations. Stopped doing a lot of fun stuff I used to do when flying my Ultrastar and Firestar.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I was overwhelmed when I finally got to go to Army Flight School at the ripe old age of 29. I thought I would never get the chance, but I did. I loved flying helicopters, more so in a combat environment than peace time. Didn't have to worry too much about peace time flying because when I returned from VN there wasn't much flying to be done by a young Army helicopter pilot. Most everything was done by the reg with virtually no freedom of flight.
Quote:
I was overwhelmed when I finally got to go to Army Flight School at the ripe old age of 29. I thought I would never get the chance, but I did. I loved flying helicopters, more so in a combat environment than peace time. Didn't have to worry too much about peace time flying because when I returned from VN there wasn't much flying to be done by a young Army helicopter pilot. Most everything was done by the reg with virtually no freedom of flight.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

[quote][b]

brubakermal(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject: This is what needs to change / changes in EAA? Reply with quote

Brovo Eugene Ultralight Training is the kee to a revival, using a flying club is the perfict way to train new students, anyone with the desire can start a flying club for free. and start training ultralight pilots for a club fee. ultralite pilots who register with the EAA recive credit for training and flying time when they pursue a  pilot license. the EAA fought for that prevlige for us. now its up to us. I have a flying club its called fly for fun club. yours Eugene could be called Eugene,s fly for fun club. anyone wanting ther own fly for fun club should contact me off list and I will help you get started. mal call any time

Malcolm & Jeanne Brubaker
Michigan Sport Pilot Repair
LSRM-A, PPC, WS
Great Sails - Sailmaker
for Ultralight & Light Sport
(989)513-3022

To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 9:53 AM
Subject: Re: Re: This is what needs to change / changes in EAA?

Ok guys,

Gene Z

[quote]Hi,

Unfortunately the Experimental  attitude as with our Microlight attitude is not attractive to people who only want to build and fly. Not mess about with `office work`

Pat
Quote:

href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
href="http://forums.matronics.com">http://forums.matronics.com
href="http://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

http://www.matronics.com/Navitronics.com" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com [/b][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: