Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2.5" IVO prop spacer
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard Pike

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: 2.5 Reply with quote

Finally found my spare Ivoprop spacer. It is 1.5" thick, and anyone who wants it can have it for $30, that includes shipping. You'll need to source your own bolts & crush plate, don't have any spares. Yes, that is yellow paint on it, not sure how it got there, it will look better after a little attention from the Scotchbrite pad & Mothers polish...

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

P1210719 (Large).JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  86.09 KB
 Viewed:  5311 Time(s)

P1210719 (Large).JPG

P1210722 (Large).JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  92.18 KB
 Viewed:  5311 Time(s)

P1210722 (Large).JPG

Forgiving is tough, being forgiven is wonderful, and God's grace really is amazing.
Vic Peters

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: 2.5" IVO prop spacer Reply with quote

Richard
Is it Ivo specific or could it be used on a Warp?

Vic
xtra 912ul
Maine
[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Too old to cut the mustard but not the cheese.
Richard Pike

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.5 Reply with quote

I don't think I would. Ivo's are real light weight, the Warp has a lot more mass and inertia, so...

Maybe some one on this list who is an engineering major could chime in? In either case, you are relying on the bolts clamping the prop and spacer between the hub and the crush plate, but using a heavier prop - that's out of my league.

Forgiving is tough, being forgiven is wonderful, and God's grace really is amazing.
flykolb(at)pa.net

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: 2.5" IVO prop spacer Reply with quote

At TOK Company we only used the 2-1/2" Ivo spacer on the Ivo, we felt it
unsuitable for the Warp. When we needed a spacer for a Warp we had a
"spool" type spacer made that had a centering boss.

Dennis

--

lcottrell

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: 2.5" IVO prop spacer Reply with quote

Dennis,
Could you be a bit more specific about why it was "unsuitable"? I have been using the one that I got from
tok on an HKS with a warp for 140 hours now.
Larry
On Sat, Jan 28, 2012 at 8:02 PM, Dennis Souder <flykolb(at)pa.net (flykolb(at)pa.net)> wrote:
[quote] --> Kolb-List message posted by: "Dennis Souder" <flykolb(at)pa.net (flykolb(at)pa.net)>

unsuitable for the Warp.  When we needed a spacer for a Warp we had a

Dennis

--

flykolb(at)pa.net

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: 2.5" IVO prop spacer Reply with quote

Larry,

Way back a long time ago, we had some scary experiences with the GSC propeller shearing prop bolts One time at an airshow we found that several bolts were broken and the remaining were loose. That was a very sobering discovery for us. So after that we got pretty conservative with our attitude toward propellers. In the case of the GSC, I think it was a maintenance thing, but even that was something new to us because we never had that problem with wooden propellers. So our brains were creased with another wrinkle: beware of new gizmos around propellers.

We had seen the spacer used on Ivos for quite some time before we started using it and had the sense that it had been proven in practice. When we needed a spacer for the Warp we didn’t feel like being the R&D department for the Warp-on-Ivo spacer. We did not feel that we wanted to promote its usage because the Warp had was heavier with higher inertia and stiffer blades. With the centering boss, all the keeping-the-prop-centered loads are taken off the prop bolts and transferred to the very substantial center boss; it’s a more conservative and the traditional approach. Hanging everything on the prop bolts didn’t seem right to us for such a heavy and stiff propeller – we didn’t want to be the test bed for that combination. Better to take the conservative approach and use a more conservative spool extension.

In a similar vein, we did not feel comfortable using the Ivo originally because we felt it was too lightly built. If TOK had ever gotten into the prop building business, the propeller we would have made would have been built more like a Warp than an Ivo. We would never have invented the Ivo – it just would not have occurred to us to build something that lightly. I remember the thing that nudged us to start using the Ivo was Phil Lockwood. I was talking to him about props one time at SNF and I was raising an eyebrow at the Ivo’s he was running on the 582s on the Aircam. He shrugged his shoulders and said, but they work. He further said that he had tested a lot of propellers on the Aircam by putting one prop on one engine and then another prop on the other engine and he could tell by the yaw of the Aircam which was pushing harder and he felt the Ivo was doing the best of any prop he had tested. So it was after that conversation that we started looking at Ivo’s more seriously.

Dennis

From: owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Larry Cottrell
Sent: Saturday, January 28, 2012 10:17 PM
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Re: 2.5" IVO prop spacer

Dennis,
Could you be a bit more specific about why it was "unsuitable"? I have been using the one that I got from
Larry
On Sat, Jan 28, 2012 at 8:02 PM, Dennis Souder <flykolb(at)pa.net (flykolb(at)pa.net)> wrote:
--> Kolb-List message posted by: "Dennis Souder" <flykolb(at)pa.net (flykolb(at)pa.net)>

unsuitable for the Warp. When we needed a spacer for a Warp we had a

Dennis

--

byoungplumbing(at)gmail.c

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: 2.5" IVO prop spacer Reply with quote

Dennis,
Larry

Quote:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Larry

i had a prop spacer built, then to keep the bolts from having to take all the shier, there were some flange holes in the 912 engine that were larger than the bolts, so i had some bushings made that fit into the holes of the prop flange,, and then the bushings were larger where they entered intgo the spacer, then i had the holes in the spacer drilled out so the bushings would go in, the bushings were drilled out to fit the prop bolts, this way the bushings hold all the shier load of the prop. and it has been so long i beleve there was bushings between the spacer and the prop as well.

[img]C:\Users\user laptop\Desktop\prop-bushing.jpg[/img]
[quote][b]

Richard Pike

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: 2.5 Reply with quote

As you can see from the pictures, the Ivo spacer does have a centering boss on the prop side, and a hole cut in it for the drive flange boss, and both of them are snug fits.

flykolb(at)pa.net

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:52 am    Post subject: 2.5" IVO prop spacer Reply with quote

Ok, we are taking about 2 different spacers. The Ivo spacer I was referring
to was just a piece of heavy wall tubing with 6 holes drilled thru in the
axial direction for the prop bolts. Everything hung on the prop bolts
themselves.

Dennis

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: