Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

N541RV First Flight

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deems Davis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: N541RV First Flight Reply with quote

B E A U T I F U L ! ! ! ! !

Deems
On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 5:56 PM, Robin Marks <robin(at)painttheweb.com (robin(at)painttheweb.com)> wrote:
[quote]
Bob,
I didn’t see the announcement on the list but understand you have completed your first flight. Your plane looks beautiful and I am sure will give you years of joy. Well done!

Robin
Do Not Archive

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Geoff Combs
Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2012 4:30 PM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: RE: N541RV First Flight

Congratulations Bob. I was just checking the other day on your progress. It looks awesome

Geoff Combs

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] ([email][mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com][/email]) On Behalf Of bob-tcw
Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2012 7:03 PM
Subject: N541RV First Flight
Its with great pleasure I get to announce the completion of First Flight for N541RV,  previously known as,,,  serial 40176.   8 years of work has paid off.

4 pm today EST a smooth lift off, followed by a 2000 fpm climb to 4500 msl.    All went well,  airplane handles like a dream.    Explored low speed handling including near stall with flaps in and out,  all normal and within a few knots of Van’s numbers.     Finished up with a smooth landing to cap off a perfect experience.

All equipment under the hood and behind the instrument panel performed flawlessly.

Wow, is all I have to say...

Video to be edited and posted later this week,

photos just prior to flight.

Bob Newman

N541RV....flying

Quote:

============== V10-List Email Forum - > :p> /o:p> tor?RV10-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List ============== nbsp;   - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS - :p> tp://forums.matronics.com ============== bsp;  - List Contribution Web Site - e> bsp;                   -Matt Dralle, List Admin. bution">http://www.matronics.com/contribution ==============
Quote:

get="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
ttp://forums.matronics.com
_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[b]

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
rnewman(at)tcwtech.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:27 am    Post subject: N541RV first flight Reply with quote

Thanks to all for your compliments, congrats, and support, from both on-list and off-list email. I really do appreciate it.

For those that inquired here’s some of the details on the plane:

Stock Lycoming O-540-E4B5 converted to fuel injection with AFP system

3 AFS screens in a symmetrical fiberglass panel (dual 4500’s with a 3400 as a mfd) and AFS pilot autopilot
dual Garmin 430W for radios/nav/gps
PS engineering audio panel
GTX327 transponder
Navworx 600-b ADS-b tranceiver
MH pulse O2 system
CO guardin panel mount detector
TCW Technologies stuff......everything we got [img]cid:292B4648FB0F4822B9468D9DD3201FAB(at)Boblaptop[/img]

Paint: All body work and prep by me, Paint shot by Lancaster Aero Refinisher at S37

Azko Noble paint wet sanded and clear coated the whole plane.

Interior: Abbey at Flightline plus custom interior panels by Aerosport products plus some by me.

Thanks again to everyone that helped along the way!

Bob Newman
40176/N541RV now flying

do not archive

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

wlEmoticon-smile[1].png
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.02 KB
 Viewed:  3835 Time(s)

wlEmoticon-smile[1].png

toaster73(at)embarqmail.c

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: N541RV first flight Reply with quote

can I ask....empty weight?
-Chris

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of bob-tcw
Sent: Wednesday, January 25, 2012 8:25 AM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: re: N541RV first flight

Thanks to all for your compliments, congrats, and support, from both on-list and off-list email. I really do appreciate it.

3 AFS screens in a symmetrical fiberglass panel (dual 4500’s with a 3400 as a mfd) and AFS pilot autopilot

GTX327 transponder

MH pulse O2 system

TCW Technologies stuff......everything we got [img]cid:image001.png(at)01CCDDF5.DA3FC4C0[/img]

Paint: All body work and prep by me, Paint shot by Lancaster Aero Refinisher at S37

Interior: Abbey at Flightline plus custom interior panels by Aerosport products plus some by me.

Bob Newman

40176/N541RV  now flying

do not archive

image001.png
 Description:
 Viewed:  3789 Time(s)

image001.png

rnewman(at)tcwtech.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:37 am    Post subject: N541RV first flight Reply with quote

The 100% complete empty weight came in at 1755.

do not archive

Sent: Saturday, January 28, 2012 7:48 PM
Subject: RE: re: N541RV first flight

-Chris

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of bob-tcw

GTX327 transponder

MH pulse O2 system

TCW Technologies stuff......everything we got [img]cid:CA4AFC909EBD4D798DED31A8CD4FD897(at)Boblaptop[/img]

Bob Newman

40176/N541RV now flying

do not archive

image001.png
 Description:
 Viewed:  3778 Time(s)

image001.png

Kelly McMullen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:28 am    Post subject: N541RV first flight Reply with quote

Just curious if Van's claimed 1600 lb empty wt is all that realistic, or is just a plane with no primer, no insulation and few instruments? Are most folks closer to Bob's figure, above or below?

On Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 6:33 AM, bob-tcw <rnewman(at)tcwtech.com (rnewman(at)tcwtech.com)> wrote:
Quote:

do not archive

-Chris

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of bob-tcw

Thanks to all for your compliments, congrats, and support,  from both on-list and off-list email.   I really do appreciate it.  

GTX327 transponder

Navworx 600-b  ADS-b tranceiver

MH pulse O2 system

TCW Technologies stuff......everything we got [img][/img]

Paint:  All body work and prep by me,  Paint shot by Lancaster Aero Refinisher at S37

Interior:  Abbey at Flightline  plus custom interior panels by Aerosport products plus some by me.

Bob Newman

40176/N541RV  now flying

do not archive

[quote][b]

Strasnuts

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:42 am    Post subject: N541RV first flight Reply with quote

1700. N801VR

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 29, 2012, at 10:24, Kelly McMullen <apilot2(at)gmail.com (apilot2(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

[quote]Just curious if Van's claimed 1600 lb empty wt is all that realistic, or is just a plane with no primer, no insulation and few instruments? Are most folks closer to Bob's figure, above or below?

On Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 6:33 AM, bob-tcw <rnewman(at)tcwtech.com (rnewman(at)tcwtech.com)> wrote:
Quote:

do not archive

-Chris

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of bob-tcw

GTX327 transponder

MH pulse O2 system

TCW Technologies stuff......everything we got [img]cid:[/img]

Bob Newman

40176/N541RV now flying

do not archive

Quote:

===================================
://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
cs.com
matronics.com/contribution

[b]

SuperSTOL 60 hours
dmaib(at)mac.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:47 am    Post subject: N541RV first flight Reply with quote

1769 with air-conditioning and tip tanks.

David Maib
Flyng

On Jan 29, 2012, at 10:24 AM, Kelly McMullen wrote:
Quote:
Just curious if Van's claimed 1600 lb empty wt is all that realistic, or is just a plane with no primer, no insulation and few instruments? Are most folks closer to Bob's figure, above or below?

Quote:

do not archive

-Chris

GTX327 transponder

MH pulse O2 system

Bob Newman

40176/N541RV  now flying

do not archive

Quote:

href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
href="http://forums.matronics.com">http://forums.matronics.com
href="http://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

dave.saylor.aircrafters(a

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:55 am    Post subject: N541RV first flight Reply with quote

I'm at 1714 without any of the stuff I normally carry.

Headsets, survival kit, maps, towbar, cover, oil, tiedowns, all that junk adds up to almost 50 lbs.  ugh.

The planes I've seen that were closer to 1600 (like Van's) tend to do without full IFR and cushy interiors.

Climb is definitely better at lower weights, maybe 2000+ FPM vs. 1500 when heavier but I wouldn't say I've notice much difference in cruise speed.

I can only remember a couple times in five years when I've departed with less than full fuel in order to stay under gross.  So I'd say the trade-off of the extra 100 lbs. has been worth it.

That doesn't mean that people should just keep piling stuff in.  It adds up FAST and it's really easy to end up with a lot more weight than you expected.  I almost always recommend to customers to pare it back a little, mostly because of weight and to keep the mindset that lighter is better.
Dave Saylor
AirCrafters
140 Aviation Way
Watsonville, CA 95076
[url=tel:831-722-9141]831-722-9141[/url] Shop
[url=tel:831-750-0284]831-750-0284[/url] Cell

On Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 7:24 AM, Kelly McMullen <apilot2(at)gmail.com (apilot2(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
[quote] Just curious if Van's claimed 1600 lb empty wt is all that realistic, or is just a plane with no primer, no insulation and few instruments? Are most folks closer to Bob's figure, above or below?

Quote:

do not archive

-Chris

Thanks to all for your compliments, congrats, and support,  from both on-list and off-list email.   I really do appreciate it.  

GTX327 transponder

MH pulse O2 system

Paint:  All body work and prep by me,  Paint shot by Lancaster Aero Refinisher at S37

Interior:  Abbey at Flightline  plus custom interior panels by Aerosport products plus some by me.

Bob Newman

40176/N541RV  now flying

do not archive

Quote:

tp://forums.matronics.com

[b]

rene(at)felker.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:00 am    Post subject: N541RV first flight Reply with quote

My current weight is 1717……..I don’t see going on a diet any time soon…..but I don’t think I will add much more…

The only things I have left on my add list are…

APRS and Auto Trim

I think they will only be a pound or two each.

That is it for the airplane.

The pilot is on a diet, so let’s see if I can save some weight there…

Rene’
N423CF

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Kelly McMullen
Sent: Sunday, January 29, 2012 8:25 AM
Subject: Re: re: N541RV first flight

do not archive

-Chris

GTX327 transponder

MH pulse O2 system

TCW Technologies stuff......everything we got

Bob Newman

40176/N541RV  now flying

do not archive

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

pietflyr(at)bellsouth.net

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:06 am    Post subject: N541RV first flight Reply with quote

Agreed, Dave. As Bill Stout (designer of the Ford Trimotor) used to say, “Simplicate and add Lightness”

Jack Phillips
#40610 Wings (finally finished the ailerons!)
Raleigh, NC
[quote]That doesn't mean that people should just keep piling stuff in. It adds up FAST and it's really easy to end up with a lot more weight than you expected. I almost always recommend to customers to pare it back a little, mostly because of weight and to keep the mindset that lighter is better.

Dave Saylor
AirCrafters
140 Aviation Way
Watsonville, CA 95076
[url=tel:831-722-9141]831-722-9141[/url] Shop
[url=tel:831-750-0284]831-750-0284[/url] Cell

[b]

dlm34077(at)q.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: N541RV first flight Reply with quote

1666; dual Cheltons, GRT Sport and EIS, SL30 and 327, TT Digiflite VSGV, O2, dual bus and 3-680s

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of David Maib
Sent: Sunday, January 29, 2012 9:45 AM

David Maib

Flyng

do not archive

-Chris

GTX327 transponder

MH pulse O2 system

TCW Technologies stuff......everything we got [img]%20[/img]

Bob Newman

40176/N541RV now flying

do not archive

Quote:
href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-Listhref="http://forums.matronics.com">http://forums.matronics.comhref="http://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[quote][b]

Albert Gardner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: N541RV first flight Reply with quote

Somebody was creating a database of RV-10’s and their weight, etc. Anybody remember who?
Albert Gardner
N991RV
Yuma, AZ

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Rene
Sent: Sunday, January 29, 2012 9:58 AM

My current weight is 1717……..I don’t see going on a diet any time soon…..but I don’t think I will add much more…

The only things I have left on my add list are…

APRS and Auto Trim

I think they will only be a pound or two each.

That is it for the airplane.

The pilot is on a diet, so let’s see if I can save some weight there…

Rene’
N423CF

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Kelly McMullen
Sent: Sunday, January 29, 2012 8:25 AM

do not archive

-Chris

GTX327 transponder

MH pulse O2 system

TCW Technologies stuff......everything we got

Bob Newman

40176/N541RV  now flying

do not archive

Quote:
 http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List http://forums.matronics.com http://www.matronics.com/contribution
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

[quote][b]

dave.saylor.aircrafters(a

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: N541RV first flight Reply with quote

1666 is awesome with a full panel like that.  Good job.
Dave Saylor
AirCrafters
140 Aviation Way
Watsonville, CA 95076
831-722-9141 Shop
831-750-0284 Cell

Do Not Archive

On Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 11:02 AM, DLM <dlm34077(at)q.com (dlm34077(at)q.com)> wrote:
[quote]
1666; dual Cheltons, GRT Sport and EIS, SL30 and 327, TT Digiflite VSGV, O2, dual bus and 3-680s

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of David Maib
Sent: Sunday, January 29, 2012 9:45 AM

David Maib

Flyng

do not archive

-Chris

GTX327 transponder

MH pulse O2 system

TCW Technologies stuff.....everything we got [img][/img]

Bob Newman

40176/N541RV  now flying

do not archive

Quote:
  href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-Listhref="http://forums.matronics.com">http://forums.matronics.comhref="http://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/contribution 

Quote:

tp://forums.matronics.com

[b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: