Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

com antenna mounted

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
messydeer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:33 pm    Post subject: com antenna mounted Reply with quote

Hi!

Thought I'd post a followup from a few months ago when I was making my com antenna. See http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?t=85809 In short, it's a RadioShack CB antenna that I cut short. This allowed me to screw in the threaded post into the female-female coupler, which I threaded onto the UHF antenna connector I got off ebay, which is also shown in the original post. It came with a white plastic shoulder washer that insulates the antenna from the airframe. So far all this is on the outside.

On the inside is the other end of the UHF connector and a UHF to BNC adapter on top of it (my antenna is belly mounted). I gave Bob the length needed for my antenna cable and he made up an assembly with 90 BNC connectors on each end. This is a really great deal, since I don't have crimping tools for this.

It was time to install it permanently today, so I took a couple pics and have posted them below. You can also see a small 063 doubler I added. And in the outside pic, the shoulder harness is dangling below the floor, making for a little confusing pic.

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

com antenna, outside (2).JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  185.64 KB
 Viewed:  3649 Time(s)

com antenna, outside (2).JPG

com antenna, inside.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  168.7 KB
 Viewed:  3649 Time(s)

com antenna, inside.jpg

JOHN TIPTON

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:47 am    Post subject: com antenna mounted Reply with quote

Looks impressive: what (in the event of damage) would the down-time be to
build a replacement

John

---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

messydeer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: com antenna mounted Reply with quote

Making the bent antenna means getting another CB antenna, cutting it to length, heating and bending it. That takes easily less than an hour, even for me.

By far the longest part of the process was grinding down the antenna. It was something like 0.20" at the tip, much fatter at the base. I had planned on just leaving it like this, but got a little concerned about how much stiffer this would make it, causing more damage if it hit something on the ground. Bob mentions using 1/8" or 3/16" welding rod for this and I'd seen one other off the shelf antenna that had a 0.15" diameter. I don't have a grinding wheel, so used my HF belt/disc sander combo with 40-80 grit. Went through a couple pads, but the antenna is much thinner, 0.125 at the tip and 0.20 at the base. The hardest part of the grinding for me was dealing with the bend. Grinding it down before bending would have made both the grinding and the bending easier.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: