Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fitting hinge brackets for flaps on Tri gear

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skanderup

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:08 am    Post subject: Fitting hinge brackets for flaps on Tri gear Reply with quote

Hello every one,

Once again I would like to draw on your infinite amount of knowledge. My wife and I were yesterday trying to fit the hinges for the flap cross tube.
The two hinge brackets, FL18P and FL18S were laid into the 90mm slots cut in the bottom of the fuselage as per the manual. When threading a thin line between the inner flap hinges it is clear that the FL18 are approximately 12mm too far aft, even though they are hard against the aft bulkhead of the wheel wells. See attached photo.

In order to fit them I am considering two options:

1. Cut about 12mm of the fitting plate part of the FL18 (see attached photo)
2. Make a cut out into the wheel wells to fit the brackets.

Personally I do not find it a good idea to follow no.2, as it will have severe effect on the strength of the main landing gear and the force transfer to the fuselage.

The first option is my preferred one, however I would like to hear other solutions and suggestions.

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List

IMG00081-20120211-1745.jpg
 Description:
This is the FL18 and I have marked where I think I will be cutting it, UNLESS I get a better advise.
 Filesize:  325.97 KB
 Viewed:  3002 Time(s)

IMG00081-20120211-1745.jpg

IMG00079-20120211-1743.jpg
 Description:
FL18S fitted hard up against the wheel well aft bulkhead (still too far aft by approx. 12mm)
 Filesize:  325.82 KB
 Viewed:  3003 Time(s)

IMG00079-20120211-1743.jpg

jimpuglise(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:01 am    Post subject: Fitting hinge brackets for flaps on Tri gear Reply with quote

Allan-

As I recall, I had the same problem. I chose to use a Dremel to square the wheel well and slid the bracket slightly forward.  I don't think it was nearly as much as 12 mm. Your other option would be to fabricate new FL 18s. As delivered, everything in this airplane "almost fits." During my build, the most common phrase heard was "just make it fit."

Jim Puglise
Europa XS, Jabiru 3300
Punta Gorda, FL

To: europa-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Sunday, February 12, 2012 5:08:17 AM
Subject: Fitting hinge brackets for flaps on Tri gear

--> Europa-List message posted by: "skanderup" <allan_skanderup(at)hotmail.com>

Hello every one,

Once again I would like to draw on your infinite amount of knowledge. My wife and I were yesterday trying to fit the hinges for the flap cross tube.
The two hinge brackets, FL18P and FL18S were laid into the 90mm slots cut in the bottom of the fuselage as per the manual. When threading a thin line between the inner flap hinges it is clear that the FL18 are approximately 12mm too far aft, even though they are hard against the aft bulkhead of the wheel wells. See attached photo.

In order to fit them I am considering two options:

1. Cut about 12mm of the fitting plate part of the FL18 (see attached photo)
2. Make a cut out into the wheel wells to fit the brackets.

Personally I do not find it a good idea to follow no.2, as it will have severe effect on the strength of the main landing gear and the force transfer to the fuselage.

The first option is my preferred one, however I would like to hear other solutions and suggestions.

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=366122#366122

Attachments:

http://forums.matronics.com//files/img00081_20120211_1745_131.jpg
http://forums.matronics.com//files/img00079_20120211_1743_153.jpgbsp; - List Contribution Web Site -
_p; &n====================

[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

stephen vestuti

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Fitting hinge brackets for flaps on Tri gear Reply with quote

skanderup,
Did you fit the temorary 12 3/4" spacer between the wheel well and seat back when you bonded the cockpit module in ?
if not, when you load the module with weights for bonding , this gap can be splayed.
I think Nev, Bud or the Factory may be the best people to answer, I think it's easily fixed though,

Steve.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: