Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Landing Lights

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fritzsch(at)eskimo.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Landing Lights Reply with quote

EAA Chapter 329 had a presentation by Howard Olson of Kestrel-Air last
night focusing upon lighting. He showed several models from Aveo using
LEDs that appeared to be superior in brightness to competing models. Of
particular interest was the landing lights which incorporated landing,
taxi and wig-wag modes in one unit. They would seem to be a better
choice than HID lights. Anyone have experience with them?

Dave

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dave Fritzsche
Puyallup, WA
Wings
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
mregoan(at)hispeed.ch

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: Landing Lights Reply with quote

Dave,

Unfortunately I can't answer your question since I went with HID's, but would be interested to know if Howard compared the Aveo Powerburst wing tip nav/strobe lights (396USD (at) ACS) with the Aeroleds NS90 (759USD). I can't tell if these are in a different performance category or just a different price category Wink Unfortunately ACS was unable to offer any information either.

Gordon
41015 Switzerland

Do not archive

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

travilleh(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:19 am    Post subject: Landing Lights Reply with quote

DO NOT use Aveo for your lighting needs, they are over priced and the company completely mis represented the placement and application of the 6 in 1 system they offered for the rv-10. IT DOES NOT FIT IN THE WINGTIP!!!.  T.S. H.
To: RV-10 Matronics <rv10-list(at)matronics.com>
Sent: Thursday, February 16, 2012 12:29 AM
Subject: Landing Lights

--> RV10-List message posted by: "Dave Fritzsche (Building)" <fritzsch(at)eskimo.com (fritzsch(at)eskimo.com)>

EAA Chapter 329 had a presentation by Howard Olson of Kestrel-Air last night focusing upon lighting. He showed several models from Aveo using LEDs that appeared to be superior in brightness to competing models. Of particular interest was the landing lights which incorporated landing, taxi and wig-wag modes in one unit.  They would seem to be a better choice than HID lights. Anyone have experience with them?

Dave

-- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dave Frit->

[quote][b]

fritzsch(at)eskimo.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Landing Lights Reply with quote

He provided no specific data. He did state that the wing tip lights
provided a wider area of coverage and if my memory is correct were
brighter. We were shown a lot of different lights which were very
bright in a darkened room.

Dave

On 2/15/2012 11:34 PM, Gordon Anderson wrote:
Quote:

Dave,

Unfortunately I can't answer your question since I went with HID's, but would be interested to know if Howard compared the Aveo Powerburst wing tip nav/strobe lights (396USD (at) ACS) with the Aeroleds NS90 (759USD). I can't tell if these are in a different performance category or just a different price category Wink Unfortunately ACS was unable to offer any information either.

Gordon
41015 Switzerland

Do not archive

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dave Fritzsche
Puyallup, WA
Wings
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

robin(at)PaintTheWeb.com

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:27 am    Post subject: Landing Lights Reply with quote

Here is what we did for my 8A Nav lights. Cost all of $40.00. Works better than most I have seen.
Green/Red LED's came from www.SuperbrightLED.com If you want even brighter (no need) then buy the LED's with more lights on the side. Connector is $3.00 automotive socket. Colored Plexi was $4.00 each from ???
HID Landing Lights came from eBay ~$70.00/pair.
Photos Attached,
Robin

--

Wing_tip_light_REd.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  74.26 KB
 Viewed:  2694 Time(s)

Wing_tip_light_REd.jpg

Wing_tip_light_coves.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  138.96 KB

Wing_tip_light_coves.jpg

Wing_tip_light_coves_006.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  88.93 KB

Wing_tip_light_coves_006.jpg

100_2587.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  552.65 KB

100_2587.JPG

100_2586.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  597.61 KB

100_2586.JPG

100_2583.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  520.61 KB

100_2583.JPG

dmaib@me.com

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Landing Lights Reply with quote

My lighting has evolved a bit since I finished my airplane. I started out with the stock Van's 75 watt halogen landing lights and the standard Whelen nav/strobe package from Van's. A couple of years ago I replaced the red and green nav lights with plug in LED replacement bulbs from http://www.psaenterprises.com/
I replaced the green and red lenses with clear lenses at that time. The bulbs have been great and amp draw went from around 3.0-3.5 per side to 0.1 per side.
The Van's landing lights have been marginal at night, as most have noted. A couple of weeks ago my right landing light bulb burned out. I have been following LED and HID options for quite a while, and decided to install the 35 watt HID drop in replacements for the MR-16 bulb from Planelights at http://pl.infochi.net/?
The kit showed up and the quality of the wiring harnesses was excellent with moisture proof connectors. It took me about 15 minutes to install each ballast on the end rib and to crimp a couple of new connectors on the ships wiring to match the Planelights harness. I also ovaled out the inboard side of the landing light hole a bit as others had suggested. The idea was to get a little more light angled in front of the airplane. That night I went to the hangar and turned on the lights with the new HID in the right side and the old halogen in the left side. The difference was astounding. I went ahead and installed the left light a couple of days later. I had my first night flight Thursday night and I have to say I am delighted. Plenty of light to taxi and with some dumb luck, I seem to have them aimed correctly for landing right off the bat. The old halogen bulbs drew around 6.5 -6.7 amps each and the HID's are drawing 3.0-3.2 amps per side. They wig-wag just fine and the tower here told me they were extremely bright. He said "you look like a 777 out there!"
I was not interested in cutting holes in my wings to install Duckworks at this stage of the game. However, if I was building, I might go ahead and install the Duckworks.
Steve, at Planelights was great to work with. The 35 watt kit was $240 and Steve threw in free shipping.
Sorry I did not get any photo's, but I just wanted to throw in this datapoint. An excellent product at a decent price and good customer service. I am a happy camper at this point. Very Happy

RV-10 #40559
New Smyrna Beach, FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: