Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

wheels and brakes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dlm34077(at)q.com

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: wheels and brakes Reply with quote

This is uneconomic for flying aircraft but I believe MATCO also makes a comparable wheel/brake to replace the Cleveland mains. Considering the cost of the brake linings of either RAPCO or Cleveland 066-11200, perhaps Matco alternate wheels/brakes for the mains ought to be considered before ordering the Cleveland’s from Vans. New builders will need to exchange the Matco nose wheel with Matco directly to get the correct one that provides adequate valve stem clearance and also the appropriate axle for the 10 nose wheel.
[quote][b]

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Tim Olson

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: wheels and brakes Reply with quote

On the other hand, if you're stuck somewhere on the ground in need of parts, it may be easier to get parts for something that is stocked in many shops, or available from multiple sources. And in the case of brake pads, they're now made by two separate companies which is nice in these uncertain times. I like the stuff Matco sells, but I want to know that in 15 years I can still get parts.  No argument, just showing another side of the coin.
Tim

On Feb 19, 2012, at 2:12 PM, "DLM" <dlm34077(at)q.com (dlm34077(at)q.com)> wrote:

Quote:
st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) } <![endif]--> <![endif]--> <![endif]-->
This is uneconomic for flying aircraft but I believe MATCO also makes a comparable wheel/brake to replace the Cleveland mains. Considering the cost of the brake linings of either RAPCO or Cleveland 066-11200, perhaps Matco alternate wheels/brakes for the mains ought to be considered before ordering the Cleveland’s from Vans. New builders will need to exchange the Matco nose wheel with Matco directly to get the correct one that provides adequate valve stem clearance and also the appropriate axle for the 10 nose wheel.
Quote:

===================================
://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
cs.com
matronics.com/contribution

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

dave.saylor.aircrafters(a

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:39 am    Post subject: wheels and brakes Reply with quote

I just went through a little issue with a leaking Cleveland wheel cylinder.  It had some scratches in the bore that were deep enough to allow a little seep past the o-ring.  Fluid never hit the floor but it did collect on the bottom of the cylinder between services.

I tried a couple times to polish the bore without success.  So I looked into replacing the cylinder and found it had a six week lead time and cost about $300.

Grove sells wheels, brakes, and cylinders for the 10 for about $900, and has them in stock.  I considered getting the Grove parts just to get flying again.  In the end I got serious about polishing out the scratches and spent a couple hours with a buffing wheel on a Dremel and was able to make the thing seal.  But only because the alternative was pretty painful.

If I had it to do again I think I'd get the Grove or Matco wheels and brakes.  In the 15-year scenario, you might be able to repair or modify them easier than Clevelands.
--Dave Saylor

On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 12:12 PM, DLM <dlm34077(at)q.com (dlm34077(at)q.com)> wrote:
[quote]
Quote:

get="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
tp://forums.matronics.com
_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[b]

Kelly McMullen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:02 pm    Post subject: wheels and brakes Reply with quote

That would be quite a cost savings if the Clevelands were deleted from
the finish kit. They list for around $2300 for the pair.

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 8:37 AM, Dave Saylor
<dave.saylor.aircrafters(at)gmail.com> wrote:
Quote:
I just went through a little issue with a leaking Cleveland wheel cylinder.
It had some scratches in the bore that were deep enough to allow a little
seep past the o-ring.  Fluid never hit the floor but it did collect on the
bottom of the cylinder between services.

I tried a couple times to polish the bore without success.  So I looked into
replacing the cylinder and found it had a six week lead time and cost about
$300.

Grove sells wheels, brakes, and cylinders for the 10 for about $900, and has
them in stock.  I considered getting the Grove parts just to get flying
again.  In the end I got serious about polishing out the scratches and spent
a couple hours with a buffing wheel on a Dremel and was able to make the
thing seal.  But only because the alternative was pretty painful.

If I had it to do again I think I'd get the Grove or Matco wheels and
brakes.  In the 15-year scenario, you might be able to repair or modify them
easier than Clevelands.

--Dave Saylor

On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 12:12 PM, DLM <dlm34077(at)q.com> wrote:
>
> This is uneconomic for flying aircraft but I believe MATCO also makes a
> comparable wheel/brake to replace the Cleveland mains. Considering the cost
> of the brake linings of either RAPCO or Cleveland 066-11200, perhaps Matco
> alternate wheels/brakes for the mains ought to be considered before ordering
> the Cleveland’s from Vans. New builders will need to exchange the Matco nose
> wheel with Matco directly to get the correct one that provides adequate
> valve stem clearance and also the appropriate axle for the 10 nose wheel.
>
> get="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
> tp://forums.matronics.com
> _blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
>

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: