Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Expanded horizons for the List?Marketing suggestion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Terry Watson

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject: Expanded horizons for the List?Marketing suggestion Reply with quote

Bob, I was so pleased to see you mention the Khan Academy. It is a great example - as is your aeroelectric list - of the extraordinary but becoming ordinary benefits of modern information technology.

To you and those of your readers who might want to avoid being blind-sided by the accelerating rate of change of our probable future, I want to recommend a new book: "Abundance: The Future is Better Than You Think", by Peter Diamandis. I don't think I have read anything in the 32 years since Alvin Toffler's "The Third Wave" that made me more excited and optimistic about the near future.

To add a note of credibility to the Abundance book for aeroelectric list subscribers, Peter Diamandis is the man who created the X prize that inspired Paul Allen to finance Burt Rutan to put the first private astronauts into space. He has gone on to create other X prizes which you will read about in the book. What's so amazing is how rapidly the very high bar set for the prizes is being achieved.

Just Google "Abundance" and you will find links to the book's website and to Amazon if you want to read reviews or buy it.

Terry
RV-8A stalled
Seattle

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
nuckollsr

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Expanded horizons for the List?Marketing suggestion Reply with quote

Thank you for the recommendation. I'll get it. Speaking of "abundance', I'm finding it easy to be overwhelmed by the quantity and scope of good data available off the 'net for the time and effort to download . . . THEN comes the investment of time to absorb it.

I had seen some of Milton Friedman's work in 10 minute chunks . . . but somebody turned me on to "Free to Choose" in 10 segments and downloadable from YouTube. I captured all the videos and now need to get them watched. I think I may strip off the audio so I can listen to them in the car. I do spend a lot of time on the road these days.

Dr. Dee turned me onto Kahn. She too has an intense interest in the video mini-lecture technique. There are a few important points in her statistics classes that are common stumbling blocks for some students. While fully willing to explain the material again, students who are already on board are not too happy about 'back tracking'. We've decided to do some mini-lectures on those sicking points that can be accessible to any Bethany student 24/7.

The hope is that these productions will bring the lagging students up at their own speed/convenience, provide good review for the rest, and make progress in the class room match the syllabus. We have similar situations here on the List in what has been called 'frequently asked questions'.

An exciting 'new' concept, at least for me. Once I'm comfortable with the mechanics of production and we have Dr. Dee's most pressing needs addressed, I'll be looking for suggestions from folks here on the List for topics to be 'canned' in a similar fashion.

Thanks for the tip!

Bob . . .

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

n8zg(at)att.net

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Expanded horizons for the List?Marketing suggestion Reply with quote

Bob - care to share that link?

neal

--

Terry Watson

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject: Expanded horizons for the List?Marketing suggestion Reply with quote

Bob,

Thanks for the heads up about Free to Choose. I have the book and remember the series. I will look on the web for the programs to see them again.

As educators, you and Dr. Dee will not be as surprised as I was with the section on education in the Abundance book. It seems there is a huge desire in kids no matter their location or social status to learn, which is driving this digitization of learning and making it so universally available. One of the to me unexpected aspects of the book is the emphasis on the "bottom billion" of the six billion or so people on the planet. They will have perhaps the most dramatic improvement in their lives, but the rest of us will have the huge benefit of this until now untapped brain power.

As for learning while driving, I have an older iPod mounted in my car, loaded with lecture courses from the company named The Great Courses, formerly known as The Teaching Company. I have bought about dozens of college-level courses from them over the years. For the most part they are excellent. I would be smarter if I had a longer commute!

My apologies to those not interested for dragging the discussion off course.

Terry

nuckollsr

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Expanded horizons for the List?Marketing suggestion Reply with quote

Sure Neal,

http://tinyurl.com/876dxqe

There will be some similar but unrelated links pop up but what you're looking for are parts 1 thru 10 of a 10-part series. I have the series captured on a CD. If you'd like to bypass the downloading process, drop me a direct email with an address. I'll send you a copy. That applies to anyone on the List who would like to exploit the genius of a great teacher.

Terry,

I'm not so sure we're 'off topic' here. I've been doing this q&a work for over 23 years. I started on Avsig back when Compuserve was king. As I look back over this experience, I recall quantum jumps in technology. Within the state of our 'art' we had adaptations of lightweight automotive alternators to legacy architectures. We exploited the rise of the RG battery. We witnessed the demise of the vacuum pump. GPS systems that cost us $30K a pop in 1985 begat $200 hand-helds that would let us fly custom 'non-precision' approaches with 10x the accuracy of anything the FAA chose to call 'non-precision'. Electronic ignition has evolved through a number of iterations to become quite commonplace and very affordable. We enjoyed the rise of the glass cockpit. All manner of software driven tools found their way into the cockpit which added to our confidence and competence as pilots. Those are the highlights I can think of a the moment.

What about the next 20 years?

I don't see any really bright stars on the horizon. Lithium batteries are lurking in the wings but nothing really confidence building happening there yet. We have tremendous tools for stuffing a lot of 'kitchen sink' features into our panel mounted toys . . . but what kinds of things do we see that will make quantum jump performance in our airplanes? Will they go still faster on less fuel? Be lighter and easier to build? Less expensive? Maybe, but it's not clear to me now.

Okay, what is our role here on the List to ease the way and/or expand the horizons of then next 20 years intake of new enthusiasts? What kind of resource can we build for that kid that stands at the bottom of the driveway peering into the open garage door with wonder at the machine which is slowly coming into being?

It's obvious that pubic education is providing fewer tools, fewer examples of simple-ideas, fewer demonstrations of recipes for success that go into successful completion and competent operation of an OBAM aircraft.

So that's the core of my thoughts right now. What SHOULD this List look like 20 years from now . . . and can we make it happen?

n8zg(at)att.net

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: Expanded horizons for the List?Marketing suggestion Reply with quote

Thanks Bob -

I just re-read the previous. Now my face is all red... Smile
I'm really not too lazy to do a simple search - just completely missed the
YouTube reference.

neal

bbradburry(at)bellsouth.n

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: Expanded horizons for the List?Marketing suggestion Reply with quote

I have been trying to figure out how to download the "Free to Choose" videos
to my computer. Bob mentioned that he had done it. Does anyone know how he
accomplished that?

Bill B

--

Terry Watson

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: Expanded horizons for the List?Marketing suggestion Reply with quote

Yogi Berra might have said “It’s hard to predict the future because it hasn’t happened yet”, but as far as I know, he didn’t. We don’t know precisely what the challenges and opportunities of the future will be, but we can get a pretty good idea of them by listening to the experts. We do know that the rate of change is accelerating; we do know that big problems have a way of attracting smart people with big ideas, and we do know that there will be unexpected problems and unexpected discoveries. And we know that right now we have unprecedented power to communicate, and that that power will only increase.

When I watch a Khan Academy video lesson, I can easily imagine a series of Bob Nuckolls Aeroelectric Academy videos – short and very informal, presented exactly like you would do sitting next to an interested kid with sketch paper and colored pens. Diagrams would be free hand, as would graphs. Informal – that’s what keeps it from being intimidating. They would start with the most basic concepts of electronics and build up an appreciation and understanding, just like you do in your classes and here on the Aeroelectric list. The point is to keep it from becoming a Big Deal – no fancy productions – just Bob Nuckolls telling us about electronics in five to ten minute bites.

Over time, there would become a library of these. When someone asked a question that lent itself to the format, your answer would become another lesson that could be located by a search of the data base of lessons. You seem to have become highly successful giving away your knowledge, but there is a value here that is worth paying for. But my guess is that when you think of a kid in Pakistan or Fiji or China who has dreamed of flying ever since he saw his first small airplane, you will want him to have whatever knowledge you can give him.

Here are a few web addresses that might give your subscribers an idea of what we are talking about:
Khan Academy: http://www.khanacademy.org/

Peter Diamandis: Abundance is our future: “The cell phone in your pocket is a million times cheaper and a thousand times faster than the supercomputer of the ‘70’s.”
http://www.ted.com/talks/peter_diamandis_abundance_is_our_future.html

About ten minutes into this 16 minute TED talk, you will see what autonomous air traffic control might be like: : http://www.ted.com/talks/vijay_kumar_robots_that_fly_and_cooperate.html

The TED talks are a great place to visit regularly to get a fresh perspective on the world we live in.

Terry

[quote][b]

wtmills

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:58 am    Post subject: Expanded horizons for the List?Marketing suggestion Reply with quote

Quote:
At 12:06 AM 3/27/2012, you wrote:

The point is to keep it from becoming a Big Deal – no fancy productions – just Bob Nuckolls telling us about electronics in five to ten minute bites.

Annie Leonard's "Story Of Stuff" is a fine example of brevity and VERY simple production values. 
Note: Pay attention to the method, the message may be strong medicine for some.
http://www.storyofstuff.org/movies-all/story-of-stuff/

Bill
SF bay area

[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: