Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Band of Brothers,

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
billaustin(at)blomand.net

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:50 am    Post subject: Band of Brothers, Reply with quote

Sent: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 5:04 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: Fwd: Fw: Band of Brothers,

[i]----

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List

ATT000012.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  36.19 KB
 Viewed:  2876 Time(s)

ATT000012.jpg

girl.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  39.13 KB

girl.gif

ATT000021.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  19.33 KB

ATT000021.jpg

KingCJ6(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:26 am    Post subject: Band of Brothers, Reply with quote

He actually passed away in '09 and Yeager was not involved with, nor wrote the story:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/shiftypowers.asp

In a message dated 4/13/2012 7:51:19 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time, billaustin(at)blomand.net writes:
Quote:

Sent: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 5:04 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: Fwd: Fw: Band of Brothers,

-------Original Message-------

Subject: Band of Brothers,

Veteran or not, every American citizen should know about Shifty and all the men and women who did so much to keep us free.

Subject: Fwd: Band of Brothers,

If you watched the series, Band of Brothers, you will remember Shifty as the guy who was the best shot in the company. He was called upon several times in the series to take care of a German sniper or to give cover so other troops could maneuver.

IT WON'T BE LONG TILL NO ONE REMEMBERS,AND WORSE,NO ONE WILL CARE....

A real hero God bless him.

SHIFTY DIED JAN 17, 2011 rest in peace.

"Shifty" By Chuck Yeager

Shifty volunteered for the airborne in WWII and served with Easy Company of the 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, part of the 101st Airborne Infantry. If you've seen Band of Brothers on HBO or the History Channel, you know Shifty. His character appears in all 10 Episodes, and Shifty himself is interviewed in several of them.

I met Shifty in the Philadelphia airport several years ago. I didn't know who he was at the time.I just saw an elderly gentleman having Trouble reading his ticket. I offered to help, assured him that he was at the right gate, and noticed the "Screaming Eagle," the symbol of The 101st Airborne, on his hat.

Making conversation, I asked him if he had been in the 101st Airborne Or if his son was serving. He said quietly that he had been in the 101st. I thanked him for his service, then asked him when he served, and how many jumps he made.Quietly and humbly, he said "Well, I guess I signed up in 1941 or so, and was in until sometime in 1945 ... " at which point my heart skipped.

At that point, again, very humbly, he said "I made the 5 training Jumps at Toccoa, and then jumped into Normandy .. Do you know where Normandy is?" At this point my heart stopped. I told him "Yes, I know exactly where Normandy is,and I know what D-Day was."

At that point he said "I also made a second jump into Holland , into Arnhem ."

I was standing with a genuine war hero ....And then I realized that it was June, just after the anniversary of D-Day. I asked Shifty if he was on his way back from France, and he said "Yes... And it'sreal sad because, these days, so few of the guys are left, and those that are, lots of them can't make the trip." My heart was in my throat and I didn't know what to say.

I helped Shifty get onto the plane and then realized he was back in Coach while I was in First Class. I sent the flight attendant back to get him and said that I wanted to switch seats.

When Shifty came forward, I got up out of the seat and told him I wanted him to have it, that I'd take his in coach.

He sai d "No, son, you enjoy that seat. Just knowing that there are still some who remember what we did and who still care is enough to make an old man very happy." His eyes were filling up as he said it. And mine are brimming up now as I write this.

Shifty died on Jan. 17 after fighting cancer.

There was no parade.
No big event in Staples Center ..
No wall to wall, back to back 24x7 news coverage.
No weeping fans on television.
And that's not right!!
Let's give Shifty his own Memorial Service, online, in our own quiet way.
Please forward this email to everyone you know. Especially to the veterans.

Rest in peace, Shifty.

Chuck Yeager, Maj Gen. [ret.]

P.S. I think that it is amazing how the "media" chooses our "heroes" these days... Michael Jackson & the like!

Please do me a favor and pass this on so that untold thousands can read it.....
We owe no less to our REAL HEROES......

[/url]

[url=http://www.incredimail.com/?id=620791&did=10501&ppd=2745,201201221303,9,1,531924648663547741&rui=146723307&app_test_id=0&sd=20120409]FREE Animations for your email by IncrediMail

Click Here!

[img]http://www2l.incredimail.com/gcontent/stamps/new2011/pixel.gif?upn=531924648663547741[/img]

No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2012.0.1913 / 04/11/12

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

girl.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  39.13 KB
 Viewed:  2874 Time(s)

girl.gif

ATT000012.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  36.19 KB

ATT000012.jpg

ATT000021.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  19.33 KB

ATT000021.jpg

brian(at)lloyd.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:51 am    Post subject: Band of Brothers, Reply with quote

On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 7:47 AM, Bill Austin <billaustin(at)blomand.net (billaustin(at)blomand.net)> wrote:
Quote:

Veteran or not, every American citizen should know about Shifty and all the men and women who did so much to keep us free.

Amen. And whether or not Yeager met Shifty doesn't change the fact that those men did amazing things. 

We are losing so many from that era. I just lost my father who was always the consummate pilot. The men and women who saw combat in WW-II did things on a daily basis that today seem far-fetched and unrealistic. I am still amazed by my father's stories, like the duel he had with a Japanese AA gun crew while he was flying AA suppression for a bombing raid on a Japanese airfield, or flying back to the carrier with a shot-up airplane, or being the last one to trap knowing that he was out of fuel and that the cold and stormy Alaskan waters would probably preclude rescue if he didn't make it aboard on the first pass. He tells of his squadron's briefing for the invasion of Japan when he was informed that they could expect 50% losses. It was what they did. How many of us could have done the same things? 

My father died this past February while visiting his grandson, Seth, at NAS Pensacola. He had driven there from California because Seth was struggling a bit in primary training and needed some bucking-up. He was supporting the Navy to the very end. My father was 89.

(And some of you know Seth. He was my GIB at the Yak fly-in at Spencer, Iowa. Seth was 12 at the time. Now he is 24, a graduate of the USNA, and in pilot training. He is following in his grandfather's footsteps.)

FWIW, my father will be interred with full military honors at Arlington National Cemetery on July 3 at 3PM. If any of you are around you are certainly invited to attend.

--
Brian Lloyd, WB6RQN/J79BPL
3191 Western Dr.
Cameron Park, CA 95682
brian(at)lloyd.com (brian(at)lloyd.com)
+1.767.617.1365 (Dominica)
+1.916.877.5067 (USA)

[quote][b]

Espada

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Band of Brothers, Reply with quote

Back in the early 1970s, when I got off active duty and got a job working in Lafayette, Louisiana, my hometown, there was a jolly guy named Walter Gordon who used to sometimes stop at the office - he knew my boss - and we'd chat a little. He knew I'd been a military parachutist, and mentioned he'd been one, too, in the Army. Period.

He was a little overweight, older than me, and had jet black hair, so I figured him to have been on active duty maybe mid-1950s. Intelligent sense of humor you haven't seen lately - always with a quip.

Read Band Of Brothers later, about 2002. At the end of The book was a section entitled "Where Are They Now."

Read through it, and came across the name "Gordon." Had thought "Gordon" was the corporal's first name, mentioned many times in action.

Walter Gordon was now (then) an attorney/oil & gas landman in Lafayette, Louisiana... same guy.

The hackles stood up on the back of my neck, and I immediately tried to call him from my Shreveport, Louisiana, home to tell him how damn proud I was to have known him, and give him hell for not telling me a little about his story... he'd been interested in my tour in Viet Nam, and had sometimes asked a few questions about it.

Long story short, I called a mutual friend and found he'd moved to Bay St. Louis, Mississippi, to retire, and had died a year before.

I was, and am, sorta sick that I didn't get to tell him how much I respected him and appreciated having known this hard-charging American.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: