Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for suggestions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dan(at)azshowersolutions.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Looking for suggestions Reply with quote

Well, the good news is I flew my Kitfox IV for the first time last Saturday. This was after 4 hours of ground work, taxi testing, etc. I have a brand new Rotax 912 ULS and it has been performing very well. I am running on the Aeroelectric Z-16 schematic and after I discovered my bridge rectifier was in backwards (between the main and essential buss), then replacing it the correct way, all has (I believed) behaved ok. Saturday I put 1 hour of air time on the plane doing a racetrack pattern, conversing with the class D tower many times without a hitch. Today I went up b-4 work talking to ground, the tower and then took the active. I commenced another racetrack pattern and when I went to contact tower to come down my radio went south (my 5 Amp fuse blew which is on the essential buss). What a way to find out if your transponder is working or not as I squawked 7600 and came in via light gun.
I have been running the system with both the main buss as well as the essential buss turned on...why?...because I have an alternator whine in the headset when only the main switch is on. I found if I turned on the essential buss, the whine goes away. So to the questions:
1.Should I not use the essential circuit unless it is, uh,well, essential to do so?
2. I have previously done a static (no engine running) Amp test across the essential switch with all loads going and even keyed the mic. The most I got out of the buss was 7A. I ask because Bob has a note not to go over 4A but I relayed this info here and some said it should not be an issue.
3. My thoughts today have drifted to the bridge rectifier and I wonder if I might be better off using a good Schottky Diode (ie...AEC9001-1) as I have noticed my voltage go up when I turn on the E-buss (I know this is common from some previous posts) just covering all bases.
4. So, I would welcome any thoughts of what to look at or ideas.
Thanks in advance,
Dan

[quote][b]

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Looking for suggestions Reply with quote

At 08:37 PM 4/10/2012, you wrote:
Well, the good news is I flew my Kitfox IV for the first time last Saturday.

Great! Send me pictures.

<snip>

Saturday I put 1 hour of air time on the plane doing a racetrack
pattern, conversing with the class D tower many times without a
hitch. Today I went up b-4 work talking to ground, the tower and then
took the active. I commenced another racetrack pattern and when I
went to contact tower to come down my radio went south (my 5 Amp fuse
blew which is on the essential buss).

What kind of radio?

What a way to find out if your transponder is working or not as I
squawked 7600 and came in via light gun.

It's always nice to have a plan-B,
or plan-C, or . . .

I have been running the system with both the main buss as well as the
essential buss turned on...why?...because I have an alternator whine
in the headset when only the main switch is on. I found if I turned
on the essential buss, the whine goes away. So to the questions:

1.Should I not use the essential circuit unless it is, uh,well,
essential to do so?

Actually, it's an ENDURANCE bus intended
to supply power to devices most useful for
en route operations to MAXIMIZE utilization
of a limited resource . . . battery energy.

Of course this feature is operative only with
the battery contactor OFF and the alternate feed
switch closed. There is no harm in conducing
normal operations with both switches closed
but the noise symptoms you cited are puzzling.

2. I have previously done a static (no engine running) Amp test
across the essential switch with all loads going and even keyed the
mic. The most I got out of the buss was 7A.

Very good . . . it won't go up much, if any,
with the engine running.

I ask because Bob has a note not to go over 4A but I relayed this
info here and some said it should not be an issue.

I'm pretty sure that the 4A reference was not
a limit. I think I've writted than an e-bus
load of 4A would probably be supported by an
18 a.h. battery for duration of fuel aboard.
But if your design goals call for less endurance
and you need more current, so be it. The point
is that you should PLAN for and then MAINTAIN
a known level of e-bus performance with the
alternator inoperative.

3. My thoughts today have drifted to the bridge rectifier and I
wonder if I might be better off using a good Schottky Diode
(ie...AEC9001-1) as I have noticed my voltage go up when I turn on
the E-buss (I know this is common from some previous posts) just
covering all bases.

There is an EXPECTED and NORMAL shift in
e-bus voltage when the alternate feed switch
is closed. This doesn't present a performance
problem. The shift can be minimized by use
of a low voltage drop device like the Schottky
diode but you won't be able to tell the difference
from the pilot's seat.

We need to figure out where this noise is
coming from and how it's getting into your
electronics. You're sure it's coming from
the alternator? In other words, if you went
flying battery only, alternator off, would
the radio be quiet.

Also, have you figured out why the fuse
opened?
Bob . . .

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:35 am    Post subject: Looking for suggestions Reply with quote

Quote:

--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "Robert L. Nuckolls, III" <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com)>

Great! Send me pictures.
Pictures attached...also this You Tube flic http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=acVvjlwjy5g
<snip>

Saturday I put 1 hour of air time on the plane doing a racetrack pattern, conversing with the class D tower many times without a hitch. Today I went up b-4 work talking to ground, the tower and then took the active. I commenced another racetrack pattern and when I went to contact tower to come down my radio went south (my 5 Amp fuse blew which is on the essential buss).

What kind of radio? Garmin SL-40

What a way to find out if your transponder is working or not as I squawked 7600 and came in via light gun.

or plan-C, or . . . Yep, the plan B radio (HT) was conveniently left sitting in the hanger..first thing I threw into the plane when I got back.

I have been running the system with both the main buss as well as the essential buss turned on...why?...because I have an alternator whine in the headset when only the main switch is on. I found if I turned on the essential buss, the whine goes away. So to the questions:

1.Should I not use the essential circuit unless it is, uh,well, essential to do so?

but the noise symptoms you cited are puzzling.  ...To me as well

2. I have previously done a static (no engine running) Amp test across the essential switch with all loads going and even keyed the mic. The most I got out of the buss was 7A.

with the engine running.

I ask because Bob has a note not to go over 4A but I relayed this info here and some said it should not be an issue.

alternator inoperative. Understood...will chew on that a little more and try to justify switching another load to the main bus.

3. My thoughts today have drifted to the bridge rectifier and I wonder if I might be better off using a good Schottky Diode (ie...AEC9001-1) as I have noticed my voltage go up when I turn on the E-buss (I know this is common from some previous posts) just covering all bases.

from the pilot's seat.

the alternator? The only reason I connect it with the alternator is due to the whine following the RPMs of the engine. It is usually only noticeable during idle or slow taxi. As the RPM's hit about 3000...the whine frequency increases to such a high pitch it is not really detected ( or noticeable to the ear)
In other words, if you went
the radio be quiet. This sounds like something to try (think I will stay on the ground first though)

opened? I have not. I didn't have time to check all of the fuses but didn't notice anything else inop. Will take a closer look today. As my radio (5A) fuse is the largest one on the E-Bus, I was thinking it odd it was the only one that went.
Thanks for the ideas...Will report more later today.
Dan
Bob . . .

===========
http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Aero====================
_-= - List Contribution Web Site   -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
http://www.matronics.com/contribut=

First_Hanger1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  52.78 KB
 Viewed:  10677 Time(s)

First_Hanger1.jpg

Avionics_On_2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  60.09 KB
 Viewed:  10677 Time(s)

Avionics_On_2.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Looking for suggestions Reply with quote

Got to the plane after work and first checked the other fuses on the E-Bus...they were all ok. They include the SL-40, transponder, Garmin 396, HZ stab elect. trim, intercom and nav lights. As previously mentioned, the 5 A fuse for the radio was the only one that went when I keyed the mic.
I replaced the fuse, pulled the plane out and taxied around getting radio checks from ground here and there and it worked fine.
So...for the whine in the radio, yes, it is an alternator whine. While the engine was running I turned off the ALT and the noise went away. (I still find it strange that the whine goes away when I turn on the E-Switch). Again, the noise becomes too high of a frequency to hear once the plane hits 3300 RPM. I took the plane back to the hanger and started following my "fat" wire that goes to the main bus. I found that it did parallel several small wires and came very close to the radio. Thought for sure I had it, so I re-routed the fat wire away from most other wires. Started it up...no joy. Still had the whine. I didn't have time today but I was thinking about isolating the com antenna to see if I might be getting a ground loop. I have EVERYTHING in the plane going to a ground bus with the exception of the com antenna (located in the vertical stab). There I tied into the chrome alloy frame instead of running a ground wire all the way back to the front. Well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it...any guestimates?
Thanks,
Dan

[quote] From: "Robert L. Nuckolls, III" <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com>
To: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Tuesday, April 10, 2012 8:50 PM
Subject: Re: Looking for suggestions

--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "Robert L. Nuckolls, III" <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com)>

Great! Send me pictures.

<snip>

Saturday I put 1 hour of air time on the plane doing a racetrack pattern, conversing with the class D tower many times without a hitch. Today I went up b-4 work talking to ground, the tower and then took the active. I commenced another racetrack pattern and when I went to contact tower to come down my radio went south (my 5 Amp fuse blew which is on the essential buss).

What kind of radio?

What a way to find out if your transponder is working or not as I squawked 7600 and came in via light gun.

or plan-C, or . . .

2. I have previously done a static (no engine running) Amp test across the essential switch with all loads going and even keyed the mic. The most I got out of the buss was 7A.

with the engine running.

I ask because Bob has a note not to go over 4A but I relayed this info here and some said it should not be an issue.

alternator inoperative.

from the pilot's seat.

the radio be quiet.

ics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List" target="_blank">http://www.matronics; - p; -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
_-= -->

rickofudall

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Looking for suggestions Reply with quote

Dan, Did you put the electrolytic capacitor on the DC line coming from the voltage regulator per Rotax Installation manual page 111 and Z-16? that should take care of alternator whine. If you did put it in, make sure it's the correct value and it's hooked up correctly. Be careful if you disconnect it, they hold a charge for a long time (months!).

Rick Girard

On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 9:32 PM, Dan Billingsley <dan(at)azshowersolutions.com (dan(at)azshowersolutions.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Got to the plane after work and first checked the other fuses on the E-Bus...they were all ok. They include the SL-40, transponder, Garmin 396, HZ stab elect. trim, intercom and nav lights. As previously mentioned, the 5 A fuse for the radio was the only one that went when I keyed the mic. 
I replaced the fuse, pulled the plane out and taxied around getting radio checks from ground here and there and it worked fine. 
So...for the whine in the radio, yes,  it is an alternator whine. While the engine was running I turned off the ALT and the noise went away. (I still find it strange that the whine goes away when I turn on the E-Switch). Again, the noise becomes too high of a frequency to hear once the plane hits 3300 RPM. I took the plane back to the hanger and started following  my "fat" wire that goes to the main bus. I found that it did parallel several small wires and came very close to the radio. Thought for sure I had it, so I re-routed the fat wire away from most other wires. Started it up...no joy. Still had the whine. I didn't have time today but I was thinking about isolating the com antenna to see if I might be getting a ground loop. I have EVERYTHING in the plane going to a ground bus with the exception of the com antenna (located in the vertical stab). There I tied into the chrome alloy frame instead of running a ground wire all the way back to the front. Well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it...any guestimates?
Thanks,
Dan

Quote:
From: "Robert L. Nuckolls, III" <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com)>
To: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com (aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: Re: AeroElectric-List: Looking for suggestions

Great! Send me pictures.

<snip>

What kind of radio?

or plan-C, or . . .

with the engine running.

alternator inoperative.

from the pilot's seat.

the radio be quiet.

ics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List" target="_blank">http://www.matronics;   - href="http://www.matronics.com/contribution" target="_blank">

ist" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
tp://forums.matronics.com
_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

--
Zulu Delta
Mk IIIC
Thanks, Homer GBYM
It isn't necessary to have relatives in Kansas City in order to be unhappy.
  - Groucho Marx

[quote][b]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: Looking for suggestions Reply with quote

Bob, did you have any other thoughts on this? Could the antenna grounding be connected to hearing the Alt and or single out the 5A fuse to the radio. I have been reading the Connection again and I feel my next step might be to add a cap & or an inductor.
So...for the whine in the radio, yes, it is an alternator whine. While the engine was running I turned off the ALT and the noise went away. (I still find it strange that the whine goes away when I turn on the E-Switch). Again, the noise becomes too high of a frequency to hear once the plane hits 3300 RPM. I took the plane back to the hanger and started following my "fat" wire that goes to the main bus. I found that it did parallel several small wires and came very close to the radio. Thought for sure I had it, so I re-routed the fat wire away from most other wires. Started it up...no joy. Still had the whine. I didn't have time today but I was thinking about isolating the com antenna to see if I might be getting a ground loop. I have EVERYTHING in the plane going to a ground bus with the exception of the com antenna (located in the vertical stab). There I tied into the chrome alloy frame instead of running a ground wire all the way back to the front. Well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it...any guestimates?
Thanks,
Dan
[quote] From: "Robert L. Nuckolls, III" <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com>

Great! Send me pictures.

<snip>

What kind of radio?

or plan-C, or . . .

with the engine running.

alternator inoperative.

from the pilot's seat.

the radio be quiet.

ics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List" target="_blank">http://www.matronics; - p; -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
_-= -->

user9253

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for suggestions Reply with quote

Quote:
(I still find it strange that the whine goes away when I turn on the E-Switch

Since the whine is still there after re-routing the fat wires, it seems as if the whine is filtered out when the current passes through the battery on its way from the alternator to the radio via the E-Bus switch. The easiest solution to the whine problem is to do nothing except to leave the E-Bus switch on. Doing so will not hurt anything unless the pilot forgets to shut it off at the end of a flight or forgets to shut it off in the event of smoke in the cockpit.
Another possible solution is to install a filter in series with the radio or in series with the E-Bus diode. Or a large capacitor connected from the Radio 12V supply to ground might help.
As for the radio fuse blowing, what type of fuse is it? The old automotive glass type of fuses are prone to fail. Even if the fuse is the ATC / ATO type, I would not be too concerned unless the fuse blows a second time.
Joe

john.maccallum(at)bigpond

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Looking for suggestions Reply with quote

The Whine is a function of ripple in the output Voltage of the Alternator
and it is dependent on current flow.
Depending on how you have wired things up when you turn the E bus on you are
most likely reducing the current being
drawn from the main Alternator. Less Current, less voltage sag from the
Peak Voltage on the Main Buss and therefore less
whine. I would re-visit all of the connections in the Main Buss to main
alternator.

The Voltage regulation needs to be checked as well. Is it Internal or
external? Check the condition of the Alternator
Slip rings and brushes if these are ok sometimes replacing the diode pack
gets rid of a noisy diode.

If no joy with the above try getting rid of it by installing an output
capacitor and is this doesn't solve the problem
investigate a high current Loss Pass filter arrangement with an Choke in
series and the filter capacitor in Parallel.

You can buy these high current chokes these days quite easily from a Car
Audio specialist supply house.

Cheers

John MacCallum
VH-DUU
--

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: Looking for suggestions Reply with quote

Thanks Joe and John, that gives me some more to think about and tinker with. Unfortunately the alternator is tucked into the back of a Rotax 912S and the only way to get to it would be to pull the engine. Will try several of the other things first and then may just live with it for as long as I can.
Appreciate the thoughts and suggestions,
Dan

Sent: Fri, April 13, 2012 7:11:55 AM

--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "user9253" <fran4sew(at)banyanol.com (fran4sew(at)banyanol.com)>
Quote:
(I still find it strange that the whine goes away when I turn on the E-Switch

Since the whine is still there after re-routing the fat wires, it seems as if the whine is filtered out when the current passes through the battery on its way from the alternator to the radio via the E-Bus switch. The easiest solution to the whine problem is to do nothing except to leave the E-Bus switch on. Doing so will not hurt anything unless the pilot forgets to shut it off at the end of a flight or forgets to shut it off in the event of smoke in the cockpit.
Another possible solution is to install a filter in series with the radio or in series with the E-Bus diode. Or a large capacitor connected from the Radio 12V supply to ground might help.
As for the
[quote][b]

user9253

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for suggestions Reply with quote

I was not thinking very clearly when I posted above that the alternator current passes through the battery on its way to the radio via the E-bus switch. The moving electrons get closer to the battery but do not pass through it.
The filter suggested by John MacCallum is worth a try.
I am curious to know if the diode has anything to do with the alternator whine. With the E-bus switch remaining off, short across the diode with a jumper to see if the whine goes away.
The alternator on the Rotax 912 is actually a single phase dynamo with permanent magnets. Other than a wire breaking, there is not very much that can go wrong with it. The permanent magnets are integral with the flywheel. As long as the engine is running, so are the magnets spinning with the flywheel. The external voltage regulator also rectifies the AC output of the dynamo.
It is not as easy to smooth out the AC ripple of the Rotax single phase dynamo compared to a 3 phase alternator.
Joe

maca2790

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for suggestions Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with the Rotax Alternator/ Dynamo
A Dynamo is a DC device that is self exciting but an Alternator can be
either self exciting or externally excited.

Don't short out the Diode because if it's a Alternator you will induce
a dead short to ground.

I just looked at the Circuit diagram. From the diagram it appears to be an
Alternator. If Joe is correct with it being only single phase output then
that is the source of the whine. The Ripple frequency will be twice the
Alternators RPM. Probably exactly in the right range for it to be
annoying in the Headset.

Switching the external Alternator on reduces the current flow from the
Internal and transfers it to the other. ( the one with the highest output
Voltage wins)

If you want to stick with the Internal Alternator you really don't have
much choice but to try a Low Pass Filter as I suggested.
I would leave the External Alternator on and run off it if it has the Capacity to do that.

cheers

John MacCallum

user9253

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:05 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for suggestions Reply with quote

Quote:
Don't short out the Diode because if it's a Alternator you will induce a dead short to ground.

John MacCallum,
Maybe we are talking about different diodes. I was referring to the E-Bus diode. Shorting across it (not to ground) will not hurt anything because current is limited by the E-Bus loads.
If I read Dan's posts correctly, his plane (wired per Z-16) only has one dynamo, no alternator. Although an alternator is available as an option for the Rotax 912. But it would add expense, weight, and a bulge in the cowling.
John, I like your suggestion of trying a filter.
Joe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:28 am    Post subject: Looking for suggestions Reply with quote

John and Joe,
Again thank you for your assistance...Joe is correct in I am only operating off of the internal Rotax Alt/ Dynamo. Understanding that the dynamo is only a single phase makes sense that the peak interference would be a bit higher. As previously indicated, I have been questioning the diode between the main and e-bus as well. The thought to jumper (bypass) the diode is a good idea before I go buy either one of the schottkey diodes from Bob or try another Radio Shack bridge rectifier (which is currently in place). Sticking a filter / choke is certainly an inexpensive effort also. I might even test my 22,000uf cap to see if it is bad or not as it should be giving some help coming off of the external regulator. Always a good time running down the gremlins.
Dan
Quote:
Sent: Saturday, April 14, 2012 3:05 AM

--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "user9253" <fran4sew(at)banyanol.com (fran4sew(at)banyanol.com)>
Quote:
Don't short out the Diode because if it's a Alternator you will induce a dead short to ground.

John MacCallum,
Maybe we are talking about different diodes. I was referring to the E-Bus diode. Shorting across it (not to ground) will not hurt anything because current is limited by the E-Bus loads.
  If I read Dan's posts correctly, his plane (wired per Z-16) only has one dynamo, no alternator. Although an alternator is available as an option for the Rotax 912. But it would add expense, weight, and a bulge in the cowling.
John, I like your suggestion of trying a filter.
Joe

--------
Joe Gores

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=370767#370767http://www.matronics.com/Navigator? - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS -< &nbsp========================

[quote][b]

user9253

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Testing the Rotax 22,000µF Capacitor Reply with quote

Here is a simple and foolproof method of testing the Rotax 22,000µF capacitor.
Buy a miniature 12V lamp, Radio Shack 272-1141, or equivalent.
Remove the capacitor from the circuit and charge it with 12vdc (observe polarity).
Disconnect the charging power source.
Connect the miniature lamp to the capacitor.
The lamp should glow brightly at first, then slowly dim as the capacitor is discharged.
The total time from when the lamp first illuminates until it stops glowing red should be about 15 seconds. At least my lamp did. Your parts may vary.
Joe

klehman(at)albedo.net

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:33 am    Post subject: Looking for suggestions Reply with quote

That is indeed probably an excellent and simple test for this situation.

Not sure it is completely foolproof though. (is anything?) I've replaced
capacitors in other applications that were within limits for capacitance
(which this test checks) but they had too high Equivalent Series
Resistance (ESR) to effectively filter a power supply.

Apologies for splitting hairs but claims of anything being "completely
foolproof" always sounds like a challenge to me Wink

As far as the original thread goes I would add that I've never bothered
to install the often recommended capacitor on my single phase 20 amp
John Deere permanent magnet alternator/dynamo and have never had any
alternator noise. However it is in a z-14 configuration which means it
is always connected to a small 8AH battery.

Ken

On 14/04/2012 2:50 PM, user9253 wrote:
Quote:

"user9253"<fran4sew(at)banyanol.com>

Here is a simple and foolproof method of testing the Rotax 22,000µF
capacitor. Buy a miniature 12V lamp, Radio Shack 272-1141, or
equivalent. Remove the capacitor from the circuit and charge it with
12vdc (observe polarity). Disconnect the charging power source.
Connect the miniature lamp to the capacitor. The lamp should glow
brightly at first, then slowly dim as the capacitor is discharged.
The total time from when the lamp first illuminates until it stops
glowing red should be about 15 seconds. At least my lamp did. Your
parts may vary. Joe

-------- Joe Gores

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:41 am    Post subject: Looking for suggestions Reply with quote

At 08:33 AM 4/15/2012, you wrote:
Quote:

That is indeed probably an excellent and simple test for this situation.

Not sure it is completely foolproof though. (is
anything?) I've replaced capacitors in other
applications that were within limits for
capacitance (which this test checks) but they
had too high Equivalent Series Resistance (ESR)
to effectively filter a power supply.

As far as the original thread goes I would add
that I've never bothered to install the often
recommended capacitor on my single phase 20 amp
John Deere permanent magnet alternator/dynamo
and have never had any alternator noise. However
it is in a z-14 configuration which means it is
always connected to a small 8AH battery.

This has the look and smell of a ground-loop issue.
A few years back, I looked at the relative effectiveness
of filtering the ripple component off a the B&C SD-8 alternator.
One captured trace can be seen here:

http://tinyurl.com/73tusru

Here you can see a ripple component on the order of
2.5 volts pk-pk. When the capacitor was disconnected,
there was little, if any, observable difference
in the 'noise'.

We also know that except for conditions where the battery
is being heavily charged or discharged, the battery's
effective impedance across the bus is very high. Thus,
batteries are of little service in reducing noises that
wiggle the bus around in the range of 12.5 to 14.5 volts

Given the demonstrated success of PM alternator installations
on so many airplanes it seems likely that the problem in
this case has more to do with a variable in grounding than
any failure of a component to perform as advertised.

Bob . . .

Quote:
Ken

On 14/04/2012 2:50 PM, user9253 wrote:
>
>"user9253"<fran4sew(at)banyanol.com>
>
>Here is a simple and foolproof method of testing the Rotax 22,000µF
>capacitor. Buy a miniature 12V lamp, Radio Shack 272-1141, or
>equivalent. Remove the capacitor from the circuit and charge it with
>12vdc (observe polarity). Disconnect the charging power source.
>Connect the miniature lamp to the capacitor. The lamp should glow
>brightly at first, then slowly dim as the capacitor is discharged.
>The total time from when the lamp first illuminates until it stops
>glowing red should be about 15 seconds. At least my lamp did. Your
>parts may vary. Joe
>
>-------- Joe Gores
>

-----
No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com

Bob . . .

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:42 am    Post subject: Looking for suggestions Reply with quote

Joe, that's a good thought using a lamp...If one has a simple Volt meter / multi meter, you could actually watch the numbers come down as the discharge occurs. Might want to throw a small resistor in there to generate a bit of a load. What I'm not certain of is what the potential voltage would be expected on a full 22,000uF. Using a lower end MM would need to set the V high enough I believe.
Dan

Quote:
Sent: Saturday, April 14, 2012 11:50 AM

Here is a simple and foolproof method of testing the Rotax 22,000µF capacitor.
Buy a miniature 12V lamp, Radio Shack 272-1141, or equivalent.
Remove the capacitor from the circuit and charge it with 12vdc (observe polarity).
Disconnect the charging power source.
Connect the miniature lamp to the capacitor.
The lamp should glow brightly at first, then slowly dim as the capacitor is discharged.
The total time from when the lamp first illuminates until it stops glowing red should be about 15 seconds.  At least my lamp did. Your parts may vary.
Joe

--------
Joe Gores

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=370786#370786http://www.matronics.com/Navigator? - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS -< &nbsp========================

[quote][b]

user9253

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for suggestions Reply with quote

Dan,
A resistor is not necessary as the lamp provides a load.
The voltage of a capacitor can never be more than the voltage that was used to charge it up.
According to Ken and Bob's posts above, a capacitor is not very effective at alleviating noise.
Are the headset jacks electrically isolated from the aircraft frame with insulating washers?
Joe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Looking for suggestions Reply with quote

[quote] From: user9253 <fran4sew(at)banyanol.com>
Sent: Sunday, April 15, 2012 8:45 AM

Dan,
Yeah, I was just thinking of getting around not using the lamp and getting a digital reading of the discharging cap.
The voltage of a capacitor can never be more than the voltage that was used  to charge it up.
..I am always willing to be corrected and learned...but I must disagree that if a 22,000mF is filled up, then when discharged there will be a much higher initial voltage reading than let's say the 12 V battery that charged it. Example: if you take one of the disposable cameras that use a flash and run a positive and negative lead off of that electrolytic cap...hook it up to a volt meter and press the button, I have gotten between 300 and 400 volts each time. Most of these cameras use a AA (or 1.5V cell).
According to Ken and Bob's posts above, a capacitor is not very effective at alleviating noise. Agreed...so I might want to look at a choke?
Are the headset jacks electrically isolated from the aircraft frame with insulating washers? Yes, the jacks were the first thing I checked when I was introduced to my system whine. Could that frame-grounded antenna in the back be a factor?
Thanks for all the assistance. And someone set me straight if I am off base about the caps holding high voltages.
Dan
Joe

--------
Joe Gores

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=370863#370863<; - The AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

_-= - MATRONICS WEB FORUMo available via the Web Forums!
========================

[b]

ceengland(at)bellsouth.ne

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: Looking for suggestions Reply with quote

On 04/15/2012 02:46 PM, Dan Billingsley wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
From: user9253 <fran4sew(at)banyanol.com> (fran4sew(at)banyanol.com)
To: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com (aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com)
Sent: Sunday, April 15, 2012 8:45 AM

Dan,
Yeah, I was just thinking of getting around not using the lamp and getting a digital reading of the discharging cap.
The voltage of a capacitor can never be more than the voltage that was used to charge it up.
..I am always willing to be corrected and learned...but I must disagree that if a 22,000mF is filled up, then when discharged there will be a much higher initial voltage reading than let's say the 12 V battery that charged it. Example: if you take one of the disposable cameras that use a flash and run a positive and negative lead off of that electrolytic cap...hook it up to a volt meter and press the button, I have gotten between 300 and 400 volts each time. Most of these cameras use a AA (or 1.5V cell).
According to Ken and Bob's posts above, a capacitor is not very effective at alleviating noise. Agreed...so I might want to look at a choke?
Are the headset jacks electrically isolated from the aircraft frame with insulating washers? Yes, the jacks were the first thing I checked when I was introduced to my system whine. Could that frame-grounded antenna in the back be a factor?

Thanks for all the assistance. And someone set me straight if I am off base about the caps holding high voltages.
Dan
Joe

--------
Joe Gores

Sorry Joe, but what you're seeing with the disposable flash camera capacitor is the result of the charging circuit. It takes high voltage to fire a flash tube. The flash circuit takes the low DC battery voltage and drives a 'switching' (oscillator) power supply with it to make AC. There's a tiny transformer (or possibly a 'ladder diode/capacitor' type circuit) in the unit that takes the low voltage AC & steps it up to several hundred volts, & then there's a high voltage rectifier that converts it back to DC, which charges the high voltage capacitor that you found. If you put your meter leads on the cap itself, fire the flash, and watch the meter as the flash recharges, you will probably be able to watch the voltage rise to several hundred volts as the capacitor takes on its charge for the next flash. If you're lucky enough to get one with markings on it, look at the voltage rating. It will be higher than whatever voltage you are measuring. A 12V capacitor (at any capacitance) will turn into a mini-grenade if you hit it with several hundred volts.

Quote:
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/camera-flash2.htm

Hope that helps,

Charlie

[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: