Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stewart water based aircraft finish

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
capedavis(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Stewart water based aircraft finish Reply with quote

Kolbers has any of you tried the Stewart water based aircraft finishes?I may end up covering my Firefly in the basement and the Stitts fumes might just cost me my marriage! Does anyone know anything good or bad about this company? thanks Chris

Chris Davis
KXP 503 492 hrs
Glider Pilot
Disabled from crash building Firefly

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
planecrazzzy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Stewart water based aircraft finish Reply with quote

I think it's water born , not water base....
There's a difference ...
Gotta Fly...

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

George Alexander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Stewart water based aircraft finish Reply with quote

capedavis(at)yahoo.com wrote:
Kolbers has any of you tried the Stewart water based aircraft finishes?I may end up covering my Firefly in the basement and the Stitts fumes might just cost me my marriage! Does anyone know anything good or bad about this company? thanks Chris

Chris Davis
KXP 503 492 hrs
Glider Pilot

Chris:
Am helping a friend restore a 1946 Aeronca Chief using the Stewart system.

Currently have covered one wing and have applied the first brush coat of paint. Another will be applied at 90 deg. Work will continue on covering the remainder of the plane to this same point. Finish coats will then be applied to the entire a/c. So far, so good.

In addition to the issue of fumes, there is reportedly a considerable weight savings.

Will keep you apprised as we progress.

http://www.oh2fly.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
gajindra(at)sbcglobal.net

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Stewart water based aircraft finish Reply with quote

I used Stewarts totally to cover and paint my Mark 3. For fabric I got medium weight Dacron from Aircraftspruce(not certified,much cheaper and works fine for light sport)Stewarts is waterborne and nontoxic.You need 65 to 70 degree temps.for gluing,so I did all covering in the living room and half the dining room.Even got the wife involved.This way I could keep working in winter weather here in Ohio.Never shut off the Furnace,even for brushing on the gray uv protection.You glue up large parts,rub in material,can pull back off to move or tighten then glue over top and wipe off excess glue.Great videos to follow.Finish paints were difficult do to humidity.Spraying in a booth during the winter went well do to heaters take the humidity out of the air.Warm weather was horrible,paint would not dry quick enough between coats.Kept paint gun in fridge to keep the pot cool so catalyst would last longer.Anyways the plane is done,has 26 hours of phase one flown off and having fun.Stewarts paints are not base coat,clear coat.Poly urethane with catalyst mixed with distilled water(3 part).Liked working with their glues and uv paints,mixed feelings about finish paints.Pictures attached

Gary Jindra

Mark 3 c
airworthiness Nov 18
26 hours

To: "kolb-list(at)matronics.com" <kolb-list(at)matronics.com>
Sent: Fri, April 27, 2012 6:14:41 PM
Subject: Kolb-List: Stewart water based aircraft finish

Chris Davis
KXP 503 492 hrs
Glider Pilot

Quote:
http:// - List Contribution Web
==================

wing_051.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  179.08 KB
 Viewed:  6939 Time(s)

wing_051.JPG

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Stewart water based aircraft finish Reply with quote

more pics

Gary Jindra
mark 3 c

Subject: Stewart water based aircraft finish

Chris Davis
KXP 503 492 hrs
Glider Pilot

Quote:
=========

plane_inside_019.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  263.57 KB
 Viewed:  6938 Time(s)

plane_inside_019.JPG

plane_005.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  173.68 KB

plane_005.JPG

roof_010.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  173.05 KB

roof_010.JPG

100_1028.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  378.82 KB

100_1028.JPG

16_hours.bmp
 Description:
 Filesize:  652.2 KB

16_hours.bmp

capedavis(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:25 am    Post subject: Stewart water based aircraft finish Reply with quote

Gary, Thank you for an informative post and thanks for second post of pics ,nice looking aircraft.
What do you have for power and how does she fly?   Chris
Chris Davis
KXP 503 492 hrs
Glider Pilot

To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Sunday, April 29, 2012 1:38 AM
Subject: Re: Stewart water based aircraft finish

more pics

Gary Jindra
mark 3 c

Kolbers has any of you tried the Stewart water based aircraft finishes?I may end up covering my Firefly in the basement and the Stitts fumes might just cost me my marriage! Does anyone know anything good or bad about this company? thanks Chris

Chris Davis
KXP 503 492 hrs
Glider Pilot

Quote:
=========

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:51 am    Post subject: Stewart water based aircraft finish Reply with quote

Chris,I have a 582 gray head.Plane flies well and gets off the ground fast.Still making minor adjustments,rudder tab,prop pitch and just trying to get used to the plane.Installed Kolbs 2 six gallon fuel tanks,wish they were bigger already.(some below deck boat tanks look pretty interesting if you haven't started covering)
 I don't believe there could be a weight saving using Stewarts if you want your plane to shine.Two to three coats brushed UV protection then three to four coats finish paint.The shine does not start to show till the third coat.Paints are not cheap

Gary Jindra

Mark 3 c

26 hours
From: chris davis capedavis(at)yahoo.com (capedavis(at)yahoo.com)
Sent: Sun, April 29, 2012 10:28:07 AM

Gary, Thank you for an informative post and thanks for second post of pics ,nice looking aircraft.
What do you have for power and how does she fly? Chris
Chris Davis
KXP 503 492 hrs
Glider Pilot

Sent: Sunday, April 29, 2012 1:38 AM

more pics

Gary Jindra
mark 3 c

Chris Davis
KXP 503 492 hrs
Glider Pilot

[quote]========= [b][b]

zeprep251(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:26 am    Post subject: Stewart water based aircraft finish Reply with quote

Gary,
Some of the Kolbsters will be interested in the Stewart process you describe,but all of them will want to know if that lady cementing fabric in the living room has any available sisters?
G.A.

--

jackinkeywest

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: Stewart water based aircraft finish Reply with quote

Gary,

Nice looking Kolb! CONGRATS...

Question: In one of your photos, it looks like you have fairings on your wing lift strut. Did you make them yourself, buy them from Kolb or ?????

V/R,

Jack in Key West
2009 Kolb M3C/582/floats being installed
--

smime.p7s
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  smime.p7s
 Filesize:  5.16 KB
 Downloaded:  412 Time(s)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:25 am    Post subject: Stewart water based aircraft finish Reply with quote

Jack,the strut fairings came from Kolb.The new struts are much heavier then what was with the original kit.I finished a plane that was started in 1993.The fellow that started it miss cut the struts.Kolbs replacement were heavy wall round aluminum not the extruded fairing shape with jury strut.The covers slide on and rivet

Gary Jindra

From: "Lockamy, Jack CIV Atlantic Targets Marine Ops, AD.5.3.3 / Key West Det" <jack.lockamy(at)navy.mil>
Sent: Mon, April 30, 2012 1:23:04 PM
Subject: RE: Kolb-List: Stewart water based aircraft finish

Gary,

Nice looking Kolb! CONGRATS...

Question: In one of your photos, it looks like you have fairings on your wing lift strut. Did you make them yourself, buy them from Kolb or ?????

V/R,

Jack  in Key West
2009 Kolb M3C/582/floats being installed
--

jackinkeywest

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Stewart water based aircraft finish Reply with quote

Roger. Copy all. Thanks!

V/R,

Jack L. Lockamy
Deputy Site Manager
NAVAIR ATMO Code 533100A
NAS Key West, FL 33040
(305) 293-2078 office
(305) 293-4345 FAX
DSN 483-4343
(301) 997-6808 cell
jack.lockamy(at)navy.mil

DO NOT ARCHIVE
--

smime.p7s
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  smime.p7s
 Filesize:  5.16 KB
 Downloaded:  411 Time(s)

pipercolt

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Stewart water based aircraft finish Reply with quote

I am rebuilding a Mark 3. I made a mistake on the left wing. I overlapped the fabric to far on the trailing edge. I called Stewart Systems and they told me to use lacquer thinner by brushing it on the fabric where I needed to pull it loose so I could re-cut it. After letting it soak for about a minute, the fabric pulled up so I could cut it. I let the area dry and used an iron set at 250 degrees and simply ran it over the fabric to glue it back down. I don't think that you can do that with any other system.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: