Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Eroding EAA Benefits
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dennis.Kirby(at)kirtland.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:22 am    Post subject: Eroding EAA Benefits Reply with quote

(NOTE: Subject title was changed. Was: Safe rather than Sorry)

Rick Neilsen wrote: << There is also a flight charting service that I get free by being a EAA member that is wonderful for cross country flying. You print a stack of charts for your flight path that are sized for a knee board. >>

Hi, Rick –

If you are referring to that wonderful, free on-line service called “AeroPlanner” which used to be sponsored by EAA, that service was discontinued in January 2012. Sad. It was quite helpful, and I used it a lot as an EAA member myself.

This is just one more step that EAA has taken to alienate their core membership base under the excuse of saving a few bucks. I am seriously considering discontinuing my membership with EAA because of that. First was the elimination of the beloved “Experimenter” magazine (later called “Sport Pilot”). Then, EAA changed editors and formats of their “Sport Aviation” magazine, and it now looks very much like “Flying” magazine, with pilot reports on Beechcraft Barons, Cessna Skylanes, synthetic-vision cockpit displays that cost tens of thousands of dollars, and 3-million-dollar turboprops (TBM-850). If I want to read about crap like that, I’ll subscribe to AOPA or Flying magazine. There’s a reason we build our own Kolbs: it’s our affordable alternative to the expensive store-bought stuff.

I was so upset, I wrote a letter to EAA, telling them of how their members’ tangible benefits (Experimenter, AeroPlanner) were eroding, and that focus on the original mission of EAA was slipping away. Their answer to me was that they are trying to reach out to a broader audience.

It’s sickening to me to recount all of the Tom Poberezney editor’s columns over the past two decades where he drones on and on about the homebuilder community and grassroots aviation as EAA’s core focus, while reality reveals that they are just trying to find ways to increase their revenues and the hell with the majority of members whose primary goal is to enjoy sport flying on a budget.

Am I the only one who feels this way about EAA?

Sorry for the rant – I hope someone from EAA monitors the Kolb List.

Dennis Kirby
Mark-3, 912ul, flying it since 2002 in
Sandia Park, NM
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
williamtsullivan(at)att.n

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:19 am    Post subject: Eroding EAA Benefits Reply with quote

Dennis- I have noticed that there is only one column that is occasionally devoted to ultralights. Not much in there any more about "how to". I keep wondering why I still subscribe.  Not very educational any more, just a lot of product reviews and "look what somebody did", but no specifics. So much for "experimental".

Bill Sullivan
do not archive

--- On Wed, 4/25/12, Kirby, Dennis Civ USAF AFMC AFNWC/ENS <Dennis.Kirby(at)kirtland.af.mil> wrote:
Quote:

From: Kirby, Dennis Civ USAF AFMC AFNWC/ENS <Dennis.Kirby(at)kirtland.af.mil>
Subject: Eroding EAA Benefits
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com
Date: Wednesday, April 25, 2012, 10:22 AM

Rick Neilsen wrote: << There is also a flight charting service that I get free by being a EAA member that is wonderful for cross country flying. You print a stack of charts for your flight path that are sized for a knee board. >>

Hi, Rick –

If you are referring to that wonderful, free on-line service called “AeroPlanner” which used to be sponsored by EAA, that service was discontinued in January 2012. Sad. It was quite helpful, and I used it a lot as an EAA member myself.

This is just one more step that EAA has taken to alienate their core membership base under the excuse of saving a few bucks. I am seriously considering discontinuing my membership with EAA because of that. First was the elimination of the beloved “Experimenter” magazine (later called “Sport Pilot”). Then, EAA changed editors and formats of their “Sport Aviation” magazine, and it now looks very much like “Flying” magazine, with pilot reports on Beechcraft Barons, Cessna Skylanes, synthetic-vision cockpit displays that cost tens of thousands of dollars, and 3-million-dollar turboprops (TBM-850). If I want to read about crap like that, I’ll subscribe to AOPA or Flying magazine. There’s a reason we build our own Kolbs: it’s our affordable alternative to the expensive store-bought stuff.

I was so upset, I wrote a letter to EAA, telling them of how their members’ tangible benefits (Experimenter, AeroPlanner) were eroding, and that focus on the original mission of EAA was slipping away. Their answer to me was that they are trying to reach out to a broader audience.

It’s sickening to me to recount all of the Tom Poberezney editor’s columns over the past two decades where he drones on and on about the homebuilder community and grassroots aviation as EAA’s core focus, while reality reveals that they are just trying to find ways to increase their revenues and the hell with the majority of members whose primary goal is to enjoy sport flying on a budget.

Sorry for the rant – I hope someone from EAA monitors the Kolb List.

Dennis Kirby
Mark-3, 912ul, flying it since 2002 in
Sandia Park, NM
Quote:
http://www======================

[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

lcottrell

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject: Eroding EAA Benefits Reply with quote

I gave it up long ago when they would not allow me to pay my dues, but
leave off the magazines and the charges for them. They allowed members to
do that for a while, but apparently decided that they were losing money.
Larry

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 9:18 AM, william sullivan
<williamtsullivan(at)att.net>wrote:

[quote] Dennis- I have noticed that there is only one column that is occasionally
devoted to ultralights. Not much in there any more about "how to". I keep
wondering why I still subscribe. Not very educational any more, just a lot
of product reviews and "look what somebody did", but no specifics. So much
for "experimental".

Bill Sullivan
do not archive

--- On *Wed, 4/25/12, Kirby, Dennis Civ USAF AFMC AFNWC/ENS <
Dennis.Kirby(at)kirtland.af.mil>* wrote:
From: Kirby, Dennis Civ USAF AFMC AFNWC/ENS <Dennis.Kirby(at)kirtland.af.mil>
Subject: Eroding EAA Benefits
Date: Wednesday, April 25, 2012, 10:22 AM

Rick Neilsen wrote: << There is also a flight charting service that I
get free by being a EAA member that is wonderful for cross country flying

Thom Riddle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Eroding EAA Benefits Reply with quote

The discontinuance of the free AeroPlanner, was the last straw for me. When my current EAA membership expires later this year, I do not plan to renew. I wrote them a letter relating my plans and their response was just use one of the other free flight planning systems. I said I was doing so and don't need EAA's help doing that. I currently have my insurance through Falcon but got a cheaper quote from Avemco right after renewing with Falcon. They have outlived their usefulness to me.

do not archive

Don't worry about old age... it doesn't last very long.
- Anonymous
jackinkeywest

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: Eroding EAA Benefits Reply with quote

Would be interesting to see if their membership has increased or declined these past 5 years. Granted the recession most likely caused some membership cancelations, but nonetheless, I too believe they (the EAA) have taken a path toward big money pilots/aircraft and have turned their backs on the little guys who gave life to the organization many years ago...

I canceled my membership in 2008 when I took a break from flying. I rejoined in MAR-2012 and was very surprised how the monthly magazine has changed (and not in a positive way...). I will re-evaluate my membership this year to determine what benefit(s), if any, I get from my membership and the monthly magazine.

My two cents.

DO NOT ARCHIVE

Jack in Key West

smime.p7s
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  smime.p7s
 Filesize:  5.16 KB
 Downloaded:  391 Time(s)

beauford

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: Eroding EAA Benefits Reply with quote

Dennis Kirby wrote:

I was so upset, I wrote a letter to EAA,

---------------------------------------

Brother Kirby…

Those EAA boys must have quite a stack of those letters by now… I have written two
of them myself… Mine had about the same tone as yours…neither provoked a
response from the castle atop EAA Mountain.

I fear that the sad truth of the matter is that homebuilding rag and tube folks like Kolbers are in a small minority
in their current EAA universe… They have done the math and a clone of the miserable F-magazine, printed
with six-color lithography on slick high clay-content paper is precisely where they want to be.

Some years back stories were circulating about a falling-out between Poberezney senior and his
boy over the organization’s obvious change of direction away from “poor-boy” aviation as the lad
got his hands on the wheel… One thing for sure, a deliberate corporate decision was made.

Guess we need a new organization…this one seems to be broken.

Beauford
FF-076
Brandon, FL
Do Not Archive
Quote:

[quote][b]

jackinkeywest

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject: Eroding EAA Benefits Reply with quote

Suggested name of our new organization:

Amateur Built Aircraft Association (ABAA)

And we get listed first in the directory according to alphabetical order...

Jack in Key West
'09 Kolb M3C w/582 (and PJ floats soon...)

DO NOT ARCHIVE

--

smime.p7s
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  smime.p7s
 Filesize:  5.16 KB
 Downloaded:  394 Time(s)

Dana

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Eroding EAA Benefits Reply with quote

At 10:22 AM 4/25/2012, Kirby, Dennis Civ USAF AFMC AFNWC/ENS wrote:

Quote:

Much of this same discussion on the forums at <http://www.eaaforums.org/>. Lots of unhappy members and former members. I didn't renew after Experimenter was dropped, and I haven't seen much to incline me to rejoin.

-Dana

--
And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he'll know he's been hit!
[quote][b]

ceengland(at)bellsouth.ne

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: Eroding EAA Benefits Reply with quote

I'd agree with just about everything said so far, but...

I continue my membership for basically one reason: lobbying. EAA does do
a tolerable job sucking up to the FAA & getting a few positive things
out of them, and preventing or at least minimizing the damage of new
regs. I did give up on that big airshow (what's the name?) many years
ago; it was just too hard to find airplane stuff under the steak knives,
folding ladders, etc.

There's been discussion of starting a new organization for as long as
I've been flying (since the early 90's), but nothing has come of the
discussions. Even Pres. Paul started a new organization shortly after he
retired (I joined), but it only lasted a few years before folding.

I think that the best hope for change would be to find *somebody* that
everyone could get behind, and get him on the board. This is pretty
tough to pull off, since the current officers solicit everyone's 'proxy'
when they get their renewal notice. It's very tough to get enough people
at the annual meeting during the airshow to overcome the officers using
their proxies to outvote any opposition, but there you go.

Charlie

Rick Lewis

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Eroding EAA Benefits Reply with quote

I don't plan on renewing my EAA member ship when it comes due. I really don't get much from there magazines any more, as I flip through it and throw it away, and I only get $5.00 off on entry fee to Sun-N-Fun, Kinda waste of money to me. What a shame, I used to feel good about being a member but it seems to me not worth my while any longer. They only seem to be about what brings in the money. While my past flying life was all about getting there fast with the best equipment, my change to low slow, enjoying flight cheaply, is not represented with the EAA people any longer. I really love being around and talking to Travis, at the Kolb factory. He and the people around him is what flying is all about.

Now if I can only get all my honey does done, maybe I can get MY Kolb aircraft completed and enjoy flying again like the rest of you guys.

(VW Watercooled Engine)

Last edited by Rick Lewis on Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:17 am; edited 1 time in total
dcarr(at)uniontel.net

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Eroding EAA Benefits Reply with quote

I live some 75 miles west of EAA and, while no longer active in flying due to age and infirmity do maintain contact with some old farts of similar age who are still active in EAA and friends with Paul Poberezny. There appears to be a changing of the guard at the top of EAA. young Poberezney has retired and they have brought in an outside man to be President of EAA. It seems that Paul sr. while over 90 has become more active at EAA and is seen regularly at EAA. I can only assume that Paul as CEO Emeritas is causing some change to the way EAA is run. I would assume his version of change would be more to our likeing then the way it is now. Lets hope so at least as it was fun in the 60s, 70s, and 80s.

David Carr
life member 67645
Century Club
Coloma, Wisc.

[quote] ---

Richard Pike

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Eroding EAA Benefits Reply with quote

You guys have summed it up nicely. I quit EAA last year. Our local sport flying club is now affiliated with USUA. We realize that all we are doing is keeping the bigger mice out of their small office, but it's really cheap and it makes us sound official...

OTOH, when we were in the EAA, it cost a whole lot more, and we got similar benefits, so it's not all bad.

Forgiving is tough, being forgiven is wonderful, and God's grace really is amazing.
Dana

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:11 am    Post subject: Eroding EAA Benefits Reply with quote

At 11:44 PM 4/25/2012, Richard Pike wrote:
Quote:
--> Kolb-List message posted by: "Richard Pike" <richard(at)bcchapel.org>

You guys have summed it up nicely. I quit EAA last year. Our local sport flying club is now affiliated with USUA...

Of course USUA does nothing at all nowadays that I can see, except offer insurance... or am I missing something?

-Dana

--
Anyone who cannot cope with mathematics is not fully human. At best he is a tolerable subhuman who has learned to wear shoes, bathe, and not make messes in the house. - RAH
[quote][b]

Thom Riddle

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Eroding EAA Benefits Reply with quote

So much for EAA cleaning house. Now they are looking for more employees. See
http://www.eaa.org/careers/

I think I'll move to Oshkosh and become a "janitorial worker" for EAA Smile.

do not archive

- Anonymous
capedavis(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Eroding EAA Benefits Reply with quote

looks like some great bennies I wonder if they hire the handicapped?

Chris Davis
KXP 503 492 hrs
Glider Pilot
Disabled from crash building Firefly

Sent: Friday, April 27, 2012 10:17 AM
Subject: Re: Eroding EAA Benefits
--> Kolb-List message posted by: "Thom Riddle" <riddletr(at)gmail.com (riddletr(at)gmail.com)>

So much for EAA cleaning house. Now they are looking for more employees. See
http://www.eaa.org/careers/

I think I'll move to Oshkosh and become a "janitorial worker" for EAA Smile.

--------
Thom Riddle
Buffalo, NY (9G0)
Kolb Slingshot SS-021
Jabiru 2200A #1574
Tennessee Prop 64x32

Truth is what stands the test of experience.
- Albert Einstein

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=371889#371889

such as List Un/Subscription,http://www.matronics.com/Navigasp; - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS -
_; -Matt

[quote][b]

pj.ladd(at)btinternet.com

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:36 am    Post subject: Eroding EAA Benefits Reply with quote

looks like some great bennies>>

Hi Chris,
I am interested in the use of `bennies`. Where did you get that from in the US..
In the UK there used to be a daily `soap` on TV and one character, who was a couple of cans short of a six pack, well meaning but thick, was called Benny and that came into general use for a while.
I remember when our forces took the Falklands back from the Argies they christened the locals `bennies`. A scurrilous reference to inbreeding among the islanders. Totally unfounded I am sure. Apparently it was so rife that an official order was issued prohibiting referring to the locals as `Bennies` To which the common soldiery replied `But they are, just the same`

Pat
[quote][b]

williamtsullivan(at)att.n

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:47 am    Post subject: Eroding EAA Benefits Reply with quote

Pat- "bennies" is slang for benefits over here.

do not archive
      Bill Sullivan

--- On Sat, 4/28/12, Pat Ladd <pj.ladd(at)btinternet.com> wrote:
Quote:

Subject: Re: Re: Eroding EAA Benefits
Date: Saturday, April 28, 2012, 5:36 AM

Hi Chris,
I am interested in the use of `bennies`. Where did you get that from in the US..
In the UK there used to be a daily `soap` on TV and one character, who was a couple of cans short of a six pack, well meaning but thick, was called Benny and that came into general use for a while.
I remember when our forces took the Falklands back from the Argies they christened the locals `bennies`. A scurrilous reference to inbreeding among the islanders. Totally unfounded I am sure. Apparently it was so rife that an official order was issued prohibiting referring to the locals as `Bennies` To which the common soldiery replied `But they are, just the same`

Pat
Quote:
http://www.matfollow" target="_blank" href="http://forums.matronics.com">http://forum==========

[quote][b]

Dana

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:38 am    Post subject: Eroding EAA Benefits Reply with quote

At 05:36 AM 4/28/2012, Pat Ladd wrote:
Quote:

Hi Chris,

Pat, in this case I'm sure by "bennies' he was referring to "benefits", insurance and pension plane, etc., that's often part of a salary package.

On the New Jersey shore, where I lived for a few years, "Benny" was also a derogatory term for the millions of summer visitors to the shore, causing traffic congestion and crowded bars. Locals often had signs or bumper stickers saying, "Bennys Go Home."

More on this subject at [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benny_(slang)]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benny_%28slang%[/url]29

And now we'd better stop before we're oh-so-gently reminded to keep the subject Kolbs... Smile

-Dana
--
Congress shall make no law....What part of NO didn't you understand?
[quote][b]

capedavis(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject: Eroding EAA Benefits Reply with quote

Pat, Please excuse me I guess it is a loyalism around here on Cape-cod In Ma. it means "Benefits" and they are offering more than anyone I have seen in this economy

Chris Davis
KXP 503 492 hrs
Glider Pilot
Disabled from crash building Firefly

Sent: Saturday, April 28, 2012 5:36 AM
Subject: Re: Re: Eroding EAA Benefits

Hi Chris,
In the UK there used to be a daily `soap` on TV and one character, who was a couple of cans short of a six pack, well meaning but thick,  was called Benny and that came into general use for a while.

Pat
[quote]

ark>Un/Subscription,
more:
=nofollow target=_blank>http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
k>Dralle, List Admin.

[b]

Thom Riddle

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Eroding EAA Benefits Reply with quote

"Bennies" is also a slang term for Benzedrine an amphetamine drug.

do not archive

- Anonymous
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: