Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Firestar rebuild

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
williamtsullivan(at)att.n

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 4:43 am    Post subject: Firestar rebuild Reply with quote

After a couple of years of my kids needing money more than I did, I started working on the Firestar again. The 447 had been pickled in fogging oil, and one of my sons had never heard it run. Got it off the trailer, unfolded it, tied it down, and put a little gas in the tank. First problem- couldn't get any gas up to the engine. I have a bottom feed tank, and some gas was leaking around the grommet. Can I use some gas resistant RTV to seal it?
Second problem- the elbow at the bottom was rusted inside to the extent that gas wouldn't go through it. I should have left some gas with Stabil in it.
I jury rigged a gas can to the plane, and put the primer bulb back in. Tried to start, and the bowl gasket leaked. Took the gasket off and re-installed, and the leak stopped. the engine fired right up and sounded good. I could only get 5100 rpm on it, so I have to adjust the prop pitch.
Another problem- looks like all the rubber cracked. The cable boots split, and the 3 year old carb mounting rubber doesn't look that good. All are Rotax parts, so I am going to try JBM this time.
My 32 year old son was like a two year old at Christmas.
Lots more work to go, plus the trailer.

Bill Sullivan
      Windsor Locks, Ct.
    Old FS, 447
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
capedavis(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:36 am    Post subject: Firestar rebuild Reply with quote

Bill Glad to hear you are back at it! Check everything 3 or 4 times.

Chris Davis
KXP 503 492 hrs
Glider Pilot
Disabled from crash building Firefly

To: kolb list <kolb-list(at)matronics.com>
Sent: Tuesday, May 8, 2012 8:42 AM
Subject: Firestar rebuild

After a couple of years of my kids needing money more than I did, I started working on the Firestar again. The 447 had been pickled in fogging oil, and one of my sons had never heard it run.  Got it off the trailer, unfolded it, tied it down, and put a little gas in the tank. First problem- couldn't get any gas up to the engine.  I have a bottom feed tank, and some gas was leaking around the grommet.  Can I use some gas resistant RTV to seal it?
Second problem- the elbow at the bottom was rusted inside to the extent that gas wouldn't go through it. I should have left some gas with Stabil in it.
  I jury rigged a gas can to the plane, and put the primer bulb back in.  Tried to start, and the bowl gasket leaked. Took the gasket off and re-installed, and the leak stopped. the engine fired right up and sounded good. I could only get 5100 rpm on it, so I have to adjust the prop pitch.
Another problem- looks like all the rubber cracked. The cable boots split, and the 3 year old carb mounting rubber doesn't look that good. All are Rotax parts, so I am going to try JBM this time.

Bill Sullivan
      Windsor Locks, Ct.
      Old FS, 447
Quote:

=nofollow target=_blank>http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Dana

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Firestar rebuild Reply with quote

First: Don't use RTV anywhere in your fuel system, even supposedly "fuel resistant" grades will be eaten by raw gas. Get the proper rubber bushings, you can likely get them at your local lawnmower shop, if not, one of the aircraft supply houses like ACS, Air-Tech, or CPS. They'll have the metal fittings, too.

Do replace the carb bout, cracks lead to air leaks which lead to lean running which leads to a seized engine.

Low rpm could be too much prop pitch, or it could be carb jetting or something else. Is it the same prop from before?

What's left to do?

-Dana
william sullivan <williamtsullivan(at)att.net> wrote:

Quote:
  After a couple of years of my kids needing money more than I did, I
started working on the Firestar again.  The 447 had been pickled in
fogging oil, and one of my sons had never heard it run.  Got it off the
trailer, unfolded it, tied it down, and put a little gas in the tank. 
First problem- couldn't get any gas up to the engine.  I have a bottom
feed tank, and some gas was leaking around the grommet.  Can I use some
gas resistant RTV to seal it?
  Second problem- the elbow at the bottom was rusted inside to the
extent that gas wouldn't go through it.  I should have left some gas
with Stabil in it.
  I jury rigged a gas can to the plane, and put the primer bulb back
in.  Tried to start, and the bowl gasket leaked.  Took the gasket off
and re-installed, and the leak stopped.  the engine fired right up and
sounded good.  I could only get 5100 rpm on it, so I have to adjust the
prop pitch. 
  Another problem- looks like all the rubber cracked.  The cable boots
split, and the 3 year old carb mounting rubber doesn't look that good. 
All are Rotax parts, so I am going to try JBM this time.

Bill Sullivan
                                           Windsor Locks, Ct.
                                           Old FS, 447

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Firestar rebuild Reply with quote

I just put in a big order to JBM, so no RTV. I had to change the prop blades after it flipped over, and went conservative on the pitch. I also put in a carb rebuild kit, including a new enrichener. Runs a lot better now, but I won't play with the carb adjustments before the pitch adjustments. Another week, weather permitting.

--- On Tue, 5/8/12, Dana Hague <d-m-hague(at)comcast.net> wrote:
Quote:

Subject: Re: Firestar rebuild
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com, kolb-list(at)matronics.com
Date: Tuesday, May 8, 2012, 3:29 PM

--> Kolb-List message posted by: Dana Hague <[url=/mc/compose?to=d-m-hague(at)comcast.net]d-m-hague(at)comcast.net[/url]>

First: Don't use RTV anywhere in your fuel system, even supposedly "fuel resistant" grades will be eaten by raw gas. Get the proper rubber bushings, you can likely get them at your local lawnmower shop, if not, one of the aircraft supply houses like ACS, Air-Tech, or CPS.  They'll have the metal fittings, too.

Do replace the carb bout, cracks lead to air leaks which lead to lean running which leads to a seized engine.

Low rpm could be too much prop pitch, or it could be carb jetting or something else. Is it the same prop from before?

What's left to do?

-Dana
william sullivan <[url=/mc/compose?to=williamtsullivan(at)att.net]williamtsullivan(at)att.net[/url]> wrote:

Quote:
After a couple of years of my kids needing money more than I did, I
started working on the Firestar again. The 447 had been pickled in
fogging oil, and one of my sons had never heard it run. Got it off the
trailer, unfolded it, tied it down, and put a little gas in the tank.
First problem- couldn't get any gas up to the engine. I have a bottom
feed tank, and some gas was leaking around the grommet. Can I use some
gas resistant RTV to seal it?
Second problem- the elbow at the bottom was rusted inside to the
extent that gas wouldn't go through it. I should have left some gas
with Stabil in it.
I jury rigged a gas can to the plane, and put the primer bulb back
in. Tried to start, and the bowl gasket leaked. Took the gasket off
and re-installed, and the leak stopped. the engine fired right up and
sounded good. I could only get 5100 rpm on it, so I have to adjust the
prop pitch.
Another problem- looks like all the rubber cracked. The cable boots
split, and the 3 year old carb mounting rubber doesn't look that good.
All are Rotax parts, so I am going to try JBM this time.

Bill Sullivan
    Windsor Locks, Ct.
  &nb="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List" target="_blank">http:// - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS ; -Matt Dralle, List Admin==========

[quote][b]

Richard Pike

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Firestar rebuild Reply with quote

If it used to turn up to 6,000 or so and now it turns only 5,100 your problem is not the prop. Leave the prop alone and look for something else. Is it a CDI 447 or points? If you have points, check them. After this long, might not be a bad idea to do a crankcase pressure check. Or look for mud daubers in the muffler....

Taking pitch out of the prop is simply adjusting the prop to accommodate reduced horsepower.

Forgiving is tough, being forgiven is wonderful, and God's grace really is amazing.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 7:05 am    Post subject: Firestar rebuild Reply with quote

Richard- good point. I'll start with the carb adjustments. I haven't started it since putting a kit in. I'm not touching it until I get the new parts from JBM. Could it be a leak in the carb boot? New one coming.

--- On Wed, 5/9/12, Richard Pike <richard(at)bcchapel.org> wrote:
Quote:

Subject: Re: Firestar rebuild
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com
Date: Wednesday, May 9, 2012, 10:11 AM

--> Kolb-List message posted by: "Richard Pike" <[url=/mc/compose?to=richard(at)bcchapel.org]richard(at)bcchapel.org[/url]>

If it used to turn up to 6,000 or so and now it turns only 5,100 your problem is not the prop. Leave the prop alone and look for something else. Is it a CDI 447 or points? If you have points, check them. After this long, might not be a bad idea to do a crankcase pressure check. Or look for mud daubers in the muffler....

Taking pitch out of the prop is simply adjusting the prop to accommodate reduced horsepower.

--------
Richard Pike
Kolb MKIII N420P (420ldPoops)
richard (at) bcchapel(dot)org
Kingsport, TN 3TN0
Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
Hebrews 11:1

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=372689#372689

r?Kolb-List" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List --> http://www.matronics.com/co=================

[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: