Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Flying Bryce canyon and Monument Valley - Knowhow?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
miyer2u

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Flying Bryce canyon and Monument Valley - Knowhow? Reply with quote

John/Team,
I am trailering my Kolb to fly these sites and wanted some knowhow!
Since many of you have flown these sites, I wanted to understand any caution that comes to your minds.
Bryce is located at almost 7600 feet so did you find a great difference with a firestar climbing out with a Rotax 503? Is it underpowered for take off in such high elevations with high density altitude?
Also at monument valley, any cautions and wanted to know the service ceiling for a Firestar-2.

Thanks in advance!
Mahesh
FS-2

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Arty Trost

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: Flying Bryce canyon and Monument Valley - Knowhow? Reply with quote

Hi Mahesh -
I haven't seen any responses to your questions, and although my experience is limited to three flights to Monument Valley and Bruce Canyon, I'll share my experiences. As you know, I was flying a Maxair Drifter, not a Kolb, but I was flying with a 503, so there is one area of similarity. Depending on the flight, I was flying with either a Thundergull with a 503, a Carrera with a 503, and a Skyraider with a 447.

1. At Bryce, both I and my fellow pilots used up almost the entire runway taking off. However, we were taking off in the afternoons and evenings. If you take off in the cool of the morning you probably would have an easier time climbing. After rotation, I was climbing VERY slowly, at about 200'/minute. (I usually climb out (at) 900-1000'/minute.) Happily, Bryce is on a plateau and there was plenty of time to gain altitude before the canyons.
2. Land only at airstrips in Monument Valley. There are a number of high plateaus that are tempting, but Monument Valley is Indian land, not federal park or monument, and the tribe doesn't want you landing off-field.
3. Both Bryce and Monument Valley are spectacular flying!

4. When are you planning on going? I was always there the third week in May, and by then it was already hot...once almost suffocatingly so. There can also be a lot of wind, so flying in the early morning and evenings worked best. Of my three flights to Bryce and Monument Valley, only once was it calm enough to fly during the day. I remember thinking that I'd never want to fly there between June and September, due to even greater heat and what that would do to density altitude.
Have a great trip.
Arty

www.LessonsFromTheEdge.com/oshkosh/
"Life's a daring adventure or nothing"
Helen Keller
"I refuse to tip toe through life just to arrive safely at death."
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Monday, May 7, 2012 7:09 PM
Subject: Kolb-List: Flying Bryce canyon and Monument Valley - Knowhow?

--> Kolb-List message posted by: "miyer2u" <miyer2u(at)yahoo.com (miyer2u(at)yahoo.com)>

John/Team,
I am trailering my Kolb to fly these sites and wanted some knowhow!
Since many of you have flown these sites, I wanted to understand any caution that comes to your minds.
Bryce is located at almost 7600 feet so did you find a great difference with a firestar climbing out with a Rotax 503? Is it underpowered for take off in such high elevations with high density altitude?
Also at monument valley, any cautions and wanted to know the service ceiling for a Firestar-2.

Thanks in advance!
Mahesh
FS-2

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=372602#372602
http://www.matronics.com/Navigator? -Matt ==============

[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

miyer2u

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Flying Bryce canyon and Monument Valley - Knowhow? Reply with quote

Hello Arty,
Thanks so much for your input. I was always wondering as to how a 503 would perform in such light conditions. I will surely look out for the right weather conditions.

Hope you are having some good flights in your Titan!.

Mahesh

russk50(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 3:51 am    Post subject: Flying Bryce canyon and Monument Valley - Knowhow? Reply with quote

On May 10, 2012, at 10:25 PM, miyer2u wrote:

Quote:

Hello Arty,
Thanks so much for your input. I was always wondering as to how a 503 would perform in such light conditions. I will surely look out for the right weather conditions.

Hope you are having some good flights in your Titan!.

Mahesh

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=372795#372795

Dennis.Kirby(at)kirtland.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:03 am    Post subject: Flying Bryce canyon and Monument Valley - Knowhow? Reply with quote

"miyer2u" wrote: << I was always wondering as to how a 503 would perform in such light conditions. I will surely look out for the right weather conditions. Mahesh >>

Hello, Mahesh –

Regarding your question about how a Firestar might perform at high density altitudes: Here is one observation for you.

This morning I flew my Mark-3 in formation with a Kolb Firefly (447 powered), and I was amazed at how Homer’s tiniest Kolb was having no problem climbing out, and keeping up with me. Our field elevation is 6500 feet, and at one point we climbed all the way to 9000 feet to get over a mountain range here in central New Mexico. Admittedly, I was throttled back a bit (4200 rpm), but he was right on my wingtip the whole flight. Our indicated airspeeds matched exactly (53 mph), and his 447 was running at 5400.

After the flight, he said his Firefly still flew crisp and spritely, not sluggish at all. Although he admitted his takeoff roll was a bit longer than usual compared to lower elevations, but not a whole lot.

In a post earlier this week, Arty Trost shared with us that taking off from the Monument Valley airstip took most of the runway. What Arty left out was, she was talking about the PAVED part of the runway! Back before 2008, the first several hundred feet of that airstrip was paved, and the other few thousand feet was dirt. It was always a fun challenge to see if we could get into the air before our tires hit the dirt part! (Am I right, Arty?)

For what it’s worth …

Dennis Kirby
Mark-3, 912ul, “Magic Bike”

[quote][b]

lcottrell

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:16 am    Post subject: Flying Bryce canyon and Monument Valley - Knowhow? Reply with quote

To expand on these answers, I flew my Firestar II there with a 503 in 2007 the last of May. Temps were about 80 degrees. I am used to flying at 4000 feet altitude, and I noticed no real problem with the plane. It will of course reduce your performance a bit depending on the density altitude at the time, but both the plane and the engine will handle it.
Have Fun
Larry

On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 10:01 AM, Kirby, Dennis Civ USAF AFMC AFNWC/ENS <Dennis.Kirby(at)kirtland.af.mil (Dennis.Kirby(at)kirtland.af.mil)> wrote:
Quote:

"miyer2u" wrote: <<  I was always wondering as to how a 503 would perform in such light conditions. I will surely look out for the right weather conditions. Mahesh >>

Hello, Mahesh –

Regarding your question about how a Firestar might perform at high density altitudes: Here is one observation for you.

This morning I flew my Mark-3 in formation with a Kolb Firefly (447 powered), and I was amazed at how Homer’s tiniest Kolb was having no problem climbing out, and keeping up with me.  Our field elevation is 6500 feet, and at one point we climbed all the way to 9000 feet to get over a mountain range here in central New Mexico.  Admittedly, I was throttled back a bit (4200 rpm), but he was right on my wingtip the whole flight.  Our indicated airspeeds matched exactly (53 mph), and his 447 was running at 5400.

After the flight, he said his Firefly still flew crisp and spritely, not sluggish at all.  Although he admitted his takeoff roll was a bit longer than usual compared to lower elevations, but not a whole lot.

In a post earlier this week, Arty Trost shared with us that taking off from the Monument Valley airstip took most of the runway.  What Arty left out was, she was talking about the PAVED part of the runway!  Back before 2008, the first several hundred feet of that airstrip was paved, and the other few thousand feet was dirt.  It was always a fun challenge to see if we could get into the air before our tires hit the dirt part!  (Am I right, Arty?)

For what it’s worth …

Dennis Kirby
Mark-3, 912ul, “Magic Bike”

Quote:

get="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
tp://forums.matronics.com
_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

--
If you forward this email, or any part of it, please remove my email address before sending.

[quote][b]

miyer2u

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Flying Bryce canyon and Monument Valley - Knowhow? Reply with quote

Thank you Dennis and Larry for your inputs!
Appreciate it!. I always had an element of trust on the Kolb, but at times I have seen the 503 to be underpowered. Just today I was flying in an canyon and I had a sink of almost 1000 feet, even with 6200 RPM I was just managing to stay level. I have noticed that in critical situations, climbing out in turbulent air with a 503 is difficult. I just carry more altitude in situations like these!

With Thinner air in Bryce, I was wondering as to how it behaved and your answers really helped!

Mahesh
FS-2

lcottrell

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Flying Bryce canyon and Monument Valley - Knowhow? Reply with quote

Just where are you flying out of now, and what is the altitude there?  My Firestar is probably heavier than yours, but I really never flew it at less than 61 or 6200 unless I was landing. You do have it propped to run WOT to 6700 RPM's I assume. The only time that I ever had any problem with mine was between Wendover Utah and Elko Neveda. I wasted too much time flying low approaching the Mountains and thought for a while that I was going to have to land on the road and taxi over the pass.
Larry

On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 5:18 PM, miyer2u <miyer2u(at)yahoo.com (miyer2u(at)yahoo.com)> wrote:
Quote:
--> Kolb-List message posted by: "miyer2u" <miyer2u(at)yahoo.com (miyer2u(at)yahoo.com)>

Thank you Dennis and Larry for your inputs!
Appreciate it!. I always had an element of trust on the Kolb, but at times I have seen the 503 to be underpowered. Just today I was flying in an canyon and I had a sink of almost 1000 feet, even with 6200 RPM I was just managing to stay level. I have noticed that in critical situations, climbing out in turbulent air with a 503 is difficult. I just carry more altitude in situations like these!

With Thinner air in Bryce, I was wondering as to how it behaved and your answers really helped!

Mahesh
FS-2

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=372922#372922

===========
arget="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
===========
http://forums.matronics.com
===========
le, List Admin.
="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

--
If you forward this email, or any part of it, please remove my email address before sending.

[quote][b]

miyer2u

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Flying Bryce canyon and Monument Valley - Knowhow? Reply with quote

Hi Larry,
The field elevation is 4600 feet from where I fly out and my prop is maxed out at 6500RPM. I have always had consistent performance with the FS-2. I cruise at around 5800 RPM with a speed of 65 MPH. In winters I have gone as low as 5400 RPM maintaining the same speed.

So when I hit 6300 RPM and I am not able to climb out in rough air, I just feel that its underpowered.May be its just me Smile). I never get to Max RPM of 6500 unless I am taking off... I would also admit that its the density altitude that is also making all the difference.

Larry, I want to fly the Alvord desert with you and Arty someday! Very Happy

Thanks.
Mahesh

pj.ladd(at)btinternet.com

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 1:14 am    Post subject: Flying Bryce canyon and Monument Valley - Knowhow? Reply with quote

I had a sink of almost 1000 feet, even with 6200 RPM I was just managing to
stay level. >>

Hi
Thats not an underpowered engine. All engine can sometimes be overwhelmed.
If you get in a load of sink, downwind of a mountain crest or in a cold
corner of a canyon no engine power will save you. Learn something about the
air and dont go there. Fly where the sun has warmed the rockface and get
close. You will go up. As the warmed air is going up the cold air in the
shadow will be going down to replace it. Whatever your normal climb rate
down flowing air can go faster in some circumstances.
Read Saint Exupery. `Sand and Stars` I think. He was flying the mails and
got in the downdraft from a mountain range. There is a great description of
him flying at full power and being pushed steadily towards the sea below.

Use the air, don`t fight it. You can`t win.

Cheers

Pat

Arty Trost

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 7:20 am    Post subject: Flying Bryce canyon and Monument Valley - Knowhow? Reply with quote

I agree 100% with Pat - a sink doesn't mean you're underpowered. I remember flying up the Columbia River Gorge (between Oregon and Washington) and suddenly I started going down...down...down, sinking like the proverbial rock. Going to full power (with a 503) didn't help, just slowed the descent slightly. I radio'd to my buddy who was up ahead that my engine seemed suddenly not to have enough power, and he cheerfully radio'd back "That's a hell of a downdraft back there, isn't it? You'll be through it soon." And I was - since I had plenty of altitude.
Something that might be helpful. When I'm flying in high elevation, high density altitude country - hot days in Utah, Nevada, etc. I look for cloud shadows, and hopscotch to fly in the shadows. I always get some lift in the shadows. Of course, there's not always clouds - or they may be far apart - but they never fail to provide lift. That seems to be opposite of what Pat writes below about cold air in the shadows - all I know is that it's never failed me.
Arty Trost
Sandy, Oregon
www.LessonsFromTheEdge.com/oshkosh/

"Life's a daring adventure or nothing"
Helen Keller
"I refuse to tip toe through life just to arrive safely at death."
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Sunday, May 13, 2012 2:13 AM
Subject: Re: Kolb-List: Re: Flying Bryce canyon and Monument Valley - Knowhow?

--> Kolb-List message posted by: "Pat Ladd" <pj.ladd(at)btinternet.com (pj.ladd(at)btinternet.com)>

I had a sink of almost 1000 feet, even with 6200 RPM I was just managing to stay level. >>

Hi
Thats not an underpowered engine. All engine can sometimes be overwhelmed. If you get in a load of sink, downwind of a mountain crest or in a cold corner of a canyon no engine power will save you. Learn something about the air and dont go there. Fly where the sun has warmed the rockface and get close. You will go up. As the warmed air is going up the cold air in the shadow will be going down to replace it. Whatever your normal climb rate down flowing air can go faster in some circumstances.
Read Saint Exupery. `Sand and Stars` I think. He was flying the mails and got in the downdraft from a mountain range. There is a great description of him flying at full power and being pushed steadily towards the sea below.

Use the air, don`t fight it.om/Navigator?Kolb-List" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigato --> &nbsp========================

[quote][b]

pj.ladd(at)btinternet.com

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Flying Bryce canyon and Monument Valley - Knowhow? Reply with quote

I look for cloud shadows, and hopscotch to fly in the shadows.>>

Hi Arty,
It sounds as though by accident you have found thermals.Very useful.
Clouds, particularly the fat fluffy Cu. are formed by warm air going up. Thermals. Get into one and up you go. Learn to circle in one and you can switch your engine off. Ask a glider pilot how and fit a variometer. The cloud in fact is the warm air turning into water vapour. At this point there is a major energy release and if you are close to the bottom of the cloud you can get sucked up into it. This is good or bad depending upon how good you are on instruments in rough conditions. When all the warm air has been drawn up into the cloud it stops working. If the cloud tends to go on building, stay away. You can get sucked up and spat out with no wings if you get in the wrong one.Gliders have speed limiting brakes. We do not. If you lose it in a glider you just pull the speed brakes and wait until you fall out of the cloud and then sort it out and close the brakes.
In the UK we are (or were in my day) allowed to fly in cloud although it was not allowed in Europe. We just went into cloud and radioed our height and approx. position for the information of others..
There was one occasion when a pilot radioed ` I am at 5000 ft in cloud over Salisbury. This message was followed by several more all saying `So am I` and a number of gliders coming out of the sides of the cloud at high speed.
By definition half the clouds in the sky have stopped working. You can tell this by the colour. When a thermal begins to turn into a cloud it looks hazy and a milky colour. When it stops it turns a grey colour and begins to dissipate. It is said that this can be detected more easily with sunglasses although I could never tell the difference.Unless you are near cloudbase it is probably easier to identify a thermal source by looking at the ground.
Thermals form where the earth warms at different rates. The house roofs of a town with grassland around. The change from grass to plough. A concrete runway on an airfield or a blacktop road through open country. Thermals lean downwind so if you can identify a source and fly upwind towards it or better still find the cloud which it is feeding and position yourself accordingly you will go up.Birds are a good indicator. They don`t practice turns for fun. If they are circling it is because there is a thermal. Join them. There may be enough lift to help you as well.Sometimes if you are lucky when you circle you might be joined by a soaring bird such as a hawk or a buzzard or a kite which will sit as your wingman just off the wingtip..
What goes up must come down and your thermal will be surrounded by descending air. As you approach the thermal your rate of descent will go up so fly through that area quickly. Then the air will feel sort of bubbly. Like flying in Champagne. With luck one wing will lift. Slow up and turn towards it and up you go. Maybe. Otherwise search around . It is more art that science
and it sounds as if you have cracked it by good observation and canny flying.

All the best

Pat..
[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: