Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Performance Charts CJ6a and Housai 6a

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgdimarco

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Performance Charts CJ6a and Housai 6a Reply with quote

I asked an incomplete question in the other topic.

Who has or where can I find a set of performance charts for this aircraft/engine combination.

Sea level data for a couple of data points hardly does the job. The only other charts I found are TAS in kmph/altitude/RPM and a time to climb chart. There has to be more than that.

Endurance/Fuel Flow charts have to exist somewhere........right?

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List

mgdimarco@yahoo.com
407-608-3290
brian(at)lloyd.com

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Performance Charts CJ6a and Housai 6a Reply with quote

On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 6:58 PM, mgdimarco <mgdimarco(at)yahoo.com (mgdimarco(at)yahoo.com)> wrote:
Quote:
--> Yak-List message posted by: "mgdimarco" <mgdimarco(at)yahoo.com (mgdimarco(at)yahoo.com)>

I asked an incomplete question in the other topic.

Who has or where can I find a set of performance charts for this aircraft/engine combination.

Sea level data for a couple of data points hardly does the job. The only other charts I found are TAS in kmph/altitude/RPM and a time to climb chart. There has to be more than that.

Endurance/Fuel Flow charts have to exist somewhere........right?

Not unless you want to make your own.
Back when I had a flying CJ6 I had done the flight testing to get me a number of useful data points for cross-country cruise, time to climb, etc. Not sure I can find all that stuff now. But it isn't that difficult to do. Do you have a fuel-flow gauge in your plane? If not then you will need to take some long cross country flights to figure it out. But here is one you can use as I remember it off the top of my head:

11,500', standard day, full throttle, 1950 RPM, leaned to peak EGT (without surging) produced 130kts TAS at 11GPH. I used this power setting to make flights of over 450 nm with only light (10-15 kts) tailwinds.

--
Brian Lloyd, WB6RQN/J79BPL
3191 Western Dr.
Cameron Park, CA 95682
brian(at)lloyd.com (brian(at)lloyd.com)
+1.767.617.1365 (Dominica)
+1.916.877.5067 (USA)

[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

mgdimarco

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Performance Charts CJ6a and Housai 6a Reply with quote

I guess I'll have to hunt for a digital engine analyzer. Right now I have a digital tach in one of the large holes (3.5"?). I'll bet I can use that space better.

Suggestions?

mgdimarco@yahoo.com
407-608-3290
brian(at)lloyd.com

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 6:28 am    Post subject: Performance Charts CJ6a and Housai 6a Reply with quote

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 6:48 AM, mgdimarco <mgdimarco(at)yahoo.com (mgdimarco(at)yahoo.com)> wrote:
Quote:
--> Yak-List message posted by: "mgdimarco" <mgdimarco(at)yahoo.com (mgdimarco(at)yahoo.com)>

I guess I'll have to hunt for a digital engine analyzer. Right now I have a digital tach in one of the large holes (3.5"?). I'll bet I can use that space better.

Suggestions?

Michael, I did it old-school. I did a lot of cross-country flying in mine. Every cross-country flight was a test flight. (Only aerobatic and formation flights were not used for data collection although I did find that fuel usage tended to go up when flying on someone's wing.) I would use various altitudes and RPM settings. I always flew with the throttle wide open, accepting whatever MAP I got. (Because the engines use mechanical superchargers, reduced RPM reduces maximum available MAP.) In flight, calculate TAS. Then land, fill up, and use your E6B to calculate fuel burn. (Calibrate your ASI first. I can provide you with a spreadsheet that will let you determine TAS and winds aloft from three GPS ground track and GS readings. You work backward to CAS from that.)

I did find that, by giving up about 10kts of TAS, I could often eliminate at least one fuel stop. That ends up saving a lot more time in a day than going 10 kts faster would make up for.

BUT, if you have a good fuel-flow gauge, you can get your data almost immediately and then collect several data points per flight rather than just one.
The problem with using the fuel specifics, i.e. g/hp*hr, is that they change with the operating point of the engine. Also hp output is not completely linear with changes in MAP and RPM. It is possible to model the hp output from MAP and RPM for a given mixture but it is just a lot easier to measure it and plot it against the actual performance of the airplane. So, you set the power to something you think reasonable, e.g. 2100 RPM, full-throttle, 9,500', mixture leaned for smooth running, and then see what you get. When you land you can find out what your actual fuel burn was. After all, knowing the hp output might be interesting but what most pilots really want to know is what the airplane will do at a given power setting. 

Oh, be sure to be consistent in the loading of the airplane even moving the CJ can affect the performance results.

--
3191 Western Dr.
Cameron Park, CA 95682
+1.916.877.5067 (USA)

[quote][b]

GeorgeCoy

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 6:35 am    Post subject: Performance Charts CJ6a and Housai 6a Reply with quote

I have the performance data on a Russian AI14RA. The Housai seems to be a
License built AI14RA as far as I can tell. If you would lie the data, I will
scan it and send it.

--

Adrian Coop Cooper

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Performance Charts CJ6a and Housai 6a Reply with quote

Hi George.
I am sure a lot of us would like to see the performance chart you mentioned.
Any chance of posting the scan. If not, could you please email me a copy to coop(at)cj6.ca Thanks in advance.
Coop. : Smile

GeorgeCoy

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 7:06 am    Post subject: Performance Charts CJ6a and Housai 6a Reply with quote

Lets see if I did this right.

--

AI-14_PERFORMANCE_CURVES.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  AI-14_PERFORMANCE_CURVES.pdf
 Filesize:  612.06 KB
 Downloaded:  806 Time(s)

brian(at)lloyd.com

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 7:47 am    Post subject: Performance Charts CJ6a and Housai 6a Reply with quote

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 8:06 AM, George Coy <george.coy(at)gmail.com (george.coy(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Yes, they came through all right. Thank you. Are you sure these numbers are valid for the Huosai?
The problem with engine power output calculation/graphs is that they don't directly translate into actual performance of the aircraft. Propeller efficiency plays a big part in translating hp into thrust and that changes with RPM, density, TAS, etc. So knowing just how much HP the engine is making is less useful than it might first seem.

I don't know about the rest of you but I tend to fly using only a few different power settings at only a few different altitudes. It is pretty easy to check the performance at those settings and a few around it (you might change RPM) and then compare TAS and fuel consumption to see what works best. You will also get good real-world performance data for YOUR airplane. Book numbers are useful in order to figure out if your airplane is doing something grossly wrong but I can just about guarantee that they aren't the numbers for your airplane.

Of course, loading has an effect as well. It is useful to check performance at different standard loadings.

--
3191 Western Dr.
Cameron Park, CA 95682
+1.916.877.5067 (USA)

[quote][b]

GeorgeCoy

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 7:56 am    Post subject: Performance Charts CJ6a and Housai 6a Reply with quote

My sources say that the Housai engine is identical to the RussianAI14RA. Probably originally license built.

From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Brian Lloyd
Sent: Wednesday, May 16, 2012 11:44 AM
To: yak-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Re: Performance Charts CJ6a and Housai 6a

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 8:06 AM, George Coy <george.coy(at)gmail.com (george.coy(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Yes, they came through all right. Thank you. Are you sure these numbers are valid for the Huosai?

The problem with engine power output calculation/graphs is that they don't directly translate into actual performance of the aircraft. Propeller efficiency plays a big part in translating hp into thrust and that changes with RPM, density, TAS, etc. So knowing just how much HP the engine is making is less useful than it might first seem.

I don't know about the rest of you but I tend to fly using only a few different power settings at only a few different altitudes. It is pretty easy to check the performance at those settings and a few around it (you might change RPM) and then compare TAS and fuel consumption to see what works best. You will also get good real-world performance data for YOUR airplane. Book numbers are useful in order to figure out if your airplane is doing something grossly wrong but I can just about guarantee that they aren't the numbers for your airplane.

Of course, loading has an effect as well. It is useful to check performance at different standard loadings.

--
3191 Western Dr.
Cameron Park, CA 95682
+1.916.877.5067 (USA)
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

Adrian Coop Cooper

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Performance Charts CJ6a and Housai 6a Reply with quote

George.
Thanks for the posting
Coop.

brian(at)lloyd.com

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:43 am    Post subject: Performance Charts CJ6a and Housai 6a Reply with quote

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 8:56 AM, George Coy <george.coy(at)gmail.com (george.coy(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:

My sources say that the Housai engine is identical to the RussianAI14RA. Probably originally license built.

OK, thanks.
Do we need to start the, "The CJ6A is/is-not a copy of the Yak," thread again?  I haven't seen that for awhile. Wink

--
3191 Western Dr.
Cameron Park, CA 95682
+1.916.877.5067 (USA)

[quote][b]

wlannon(at)shaw.ca

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:54 am    Post subject: Performance Charts CJ6a and Housai 6a Reply with quote

The AI14RA is virtually identical to the Huosai 6. As far as I know the only difference is the carburettor adaptor. It is not identical to the Huosai 6A.

Walt

Sent: Wednesday, May 16, 2012 8:56 AM
To: yak-list(at)matronics.com (yak-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: RE: Re: Performance Charts CJ6a and Housai 6a

From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Brian Lloyd
Sent: Wednesday, May 16, 2012 11:44 AM
To: yak-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Re: Performance Charts CJ6a and Housai 6a

--
3191 Western Dr.
Cameron Park, CA 95682
+1.916.877.5067 (USA)
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: