Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CG on a MK II twinstar

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lmorgan100(at)charter.net

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: CG on a MK II twinstar Reply with quote

Hi all, I am looking for info on the CG for a MK II Twinstar.
My measurements were done with the bottom of the wing at 9%
I am using a weight and balance sheet from a Kolb Firestar but I think the calculations are the same for a MK II Twinstar.
I am coming up with a CG of 37 % with me in it, I am 175 pounds, Has anyone else had to add weight to the front to
get the CG within limits ?
thanks,
Lee..
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Eugene Zimmerman

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: CG on a MK II twinstar Reply with quote

Lee,

I don't have the specific info you ask for but if you are intending to fly the Mark II two up, I can tell you you do not want any extra weight up front as the elevator on the Mark II is rather underpowered for keeping the nose up at slower flight speeds with two up. If it was up to me I'd fly it as is. I can assure you it will fly just fine with your weight. If you have any doubts just make the first flight with half a tank of fuel, and you will be more than pleased with how she flies.
If it flies like the nose is light and must be held down, adjust the ailerons down a tad.

Gene

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

zeprep251(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 4:50 am    Post subject: CG on a MK II twinstar Reply with quote

Gene,
I really believe adjusting the controls to overcome a CG problem does a terrible disservice to a normally good handling airplane.The weight and balance is the way to go.Someone will give you the info you need Lee,How about it Crystal,do you still have that info?
G.Aman MK3C

--

Richard Pike

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: CG on a MK II twinstar Reply with quote

zeprep251(at)aol.com wrote:
Gene,
I really believe adjusting the controls to overcome a CG problem does a terrible disservice to a normally good handling airplane.The weight and balance is the way to go. Someone will give you the info you need Lee, How about it Crystal,do you still have that info?
G.Aman MK3C
--

I think "adjusting the controls to overcome a CG problem" is an oversimplification when it comes to fine tuning the Kolb wing and how it works. The normal procedure is to get the CG right where it needs to be, and then fly it. If it flies like it wants to keep nosing up, you can either put a trim tab on the elevator to hold the nose down, or droop the ailerons. (or flaps) If it flies like it wants to keep nosing down, once again, you can adjust a trim tab to raise the elevators, or raise the ailerons. (or flaps) The airplane responds well to moving the center of lift aft or forwards across the wing and is the accepted way of fine tuning the aircraft for trim once the CG is correct and everything else is suitable.

That is why I modified my flap lever with 3 positions close together at the nominally up position, to fine tune how the airplane behaves in conjunction with the normal MKIII trim system.

Forgiving is tough, being forgiven is wonderful, and God's grace really is amazing.
Eugene Zimmerman

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 6:30 am    Post subject: CG on a MK II twinstar Reply with quote

G,

How much experience do you have with a Mark II?
I was not telling anyone how to overcome a CG "problem", since at this point a CG "problem" has not been established. Since there was no mention of any modifications made to the Kolb designed Mark II in question, my assumption is that it is highly unlikely that it has an actual CG "problem".
As a matter of list member information, an in-flight adjustable elevator trim tab is part of the Mark II's standard equipment.
Gene,
On May 17, 2012, at 8:50 AM, Gary Aman wrote:
[quote]Gene,
I really believe adjusting the controls to overcome a CG problem does a terrible disservice to a normally good handling airplane.The weight and balance is the way to go.Someone will give you the info you need Lee,How about it Crystal,do you still have that info?
G.Aman MK3C
[b]

zeprep251(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: CG on a MK II twinstar Reply with quote

Gene,
None with a Mk2,but quite a bit with the FS and Mk3.I did the same thing you did,made an assumption.He was looking for cg info and I assumed he wanted to do a weight /balance check, which I would recommend.I would not make trim changes until the CG has been established.It's possible to make an out of balance plane fly level with trim changes but it really screws up the handling,especially in rough air.No offense meant Gene.
Gary Aman Mk3C 690hrs Jabiru2200A
--

cristalclear13

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: CG on a MK II twinstar Reply with quote

lmorgan100(at)charter.net wrote:
Hi all, I am looking for info on the CG for a MK II Twinstar.
thanks,
Lee..

Lee,
I will go out to the airport and take a look at my W&B and email you. Sorry for the delay, I haven't been on the forum lately.

ELSA Repairman for N193Y April 2008
Rotax 2 stroke maintenance April 2009
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: