Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cover for Mark III Classic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jacklockamy(at)comcast.ne

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:24 pm    Post subject: Cover for Mark III Classic Reply with quote

Looking for a full cover (nose to tail feathers) for a Kolb Mark II Classic. Can anyone recommend a source or cover (boat cover, RV cover, car cover, etc.) that worked for them?

Thanks in advance!

Jack in Key West
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Tom O'Hara

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Cover for Mark III Classic Reply with quote

You might try Bert Padelt, Best Aviation, 16108457857. He is located in Bally, PA.- about 30 minutes south of Allentown, PA and Queen City-XLL.

Bert is FAA certified repair station for balloons, builds both gas and hot air from scratch. And, was Steve Fossetts systems manager for the around the world attemps. If you need any kind of stitching for aviation he is the guy.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Tom O'Hara

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Cover for Mark III Classic Reply with quote

I should have also mentioned that he is 30 minutes from Homer's home.

Dennis.Kirby(at)kirtland.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:28 am    Post subject: Cover for Mark III Classic Reply with quote

<jacklockamy(at)comcast.net (jacklockamy(at)comcast.net)> wrote: << Looking for a full cover (nose to tail feathers) for a Kolb Mark II Classic. Can anyone recommend a source or cover (boat cover, RV cover, car cover, etc.) that worked for them? Jack in Key West >>

Hi, Jack –

You should check with your local boat cover and awning shop. I imagine that in Key West there would be several, with so many boats.

In my home town (a thousand miles from the nearest ocean), I found an awning shop that fabricated a custom-made cover for my Mark-3, for about six hundred dollars. I brought my Kolb to the shop (on its trailer), and had to leave it there for about two weeks. When I picked it up, it had a beautiful cover on it that fit like a glove. Zippered closed on the ends and laced on the bottom, to hold it shut. They used a UV-resistant canvas material, so I can leave it parked outside indefinitely.

I’ll try to find pictures, and mail ‘em to you off list. Hope this helps …

Dennis Kirby
Sandia Park, NM

smime.p7s
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  smime.p7s
 Filesize:  5.55 KB
 Downloaded:  412 Time(s)

jacklockamy(at)comcast.ne

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:03 am    Post subject: Cover for Mark III Classic Reply with quote

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for the response. That sounds like what I have in mind. Photos would be great. Any chance the fabricator you used may have kept the data/template to ‘re-make’ a similar cover? If you remember who you used, I would appreciate a name/number to call them. I can certainly find a canvas maker here in the Keys. Problem I find here is that most vendors are VERY PROUD of their work (ie. Charge exorbitant amounts of money for even the smallest jobs) or think everyone who owns a boat or God forbid an AIRPLANE…. must be loaded!

Living near the salt water has it’s positives and negatives. My Kolb resides next to a saltwater canal I will be launching from and sits on a pontoon trailer under an 18’x20’ metal awning (wings folded of course) when not in use. Because the awning is open on both ends, I feel a nice fitting cover to keep some of the salt air and UV rays off the plane will be money well spent.

BTW…. I spent MANY days/week/months at White Sands Missile Range as a drone pilot for the US Navy 1987-2009. Even considered moving to Las Cruces, NM and taking as job there before accepting this ‘twilight tour’ in Key West. Also my in-laws lived in Los Alamos, NM and worked at the Nuclear Lab (father in-law was a no-kidding nuclear scientist, PHD.)

Take care,
Jack Lockamy

DO NOT ARCHIVE

From: owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Kirby, Dennis Civ USAF AFMC AFNWC/ENS
Sent: Tuesday, June 05, 2012 10:28 AM
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Cover for Mark III Classic

<jacklockamy(at)comcast.net (jacklockamy(at)comcast.net)> wrote: << Looking for a full cover (nose to tail feathers) for a Kolb Mark II Classic. Can anyone recommend a source or cover (boat cover, RV cover, car cover, etc.) that worked for them? Jack in Key West >>

Hi, Jack –

You should check with your local boat cover and awning shop. I imagine that in Key West there would be several, with so many boats.

In my home town (a thousand miles from the nearest ocean), I found an awning shop that fabricated a custom-made cover for my Mark-3, for about six hundred dollars. I brought my Kolb to the shop (on its trailer), and had to leave it there for about two weeks. When I picked it up, it had a beautiful cover on it that fit like a glove. Zippered closed on the ends and laced on the bottom, to hold it shut. They used a UV-resistant canvas material, so I can leave it parked outside indefinitely.

I’ll try to find pictures, and mail ‘em to you off list. Hope this helps …

Dennis Kirby
Sandia Park, NM
[quote][b]

Tom O'Hara

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Cover for Mark III Classic Reply with quote

Jack-- don't know if you had a chance to talk to Bert. However I do know he is leaving today for SC. He is delivering a sport gas balloon to a customer and is hoping for good weather to get it off the ground. If weather is not good they probably will hang out until Wednesday/Thursday.

Tom

1Pelican

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Cover for Mark III Classic Reply with quote

Tom,

I've tried calling him three times. No luck. I'll try again next week.

Thanks,
Jack

--

Kolb MK3C owner
ex-Cirrus SR-20 owner
ex-RV7A builder/owner
ex-SonexTD builder/owner
ex-Sonerai2TD owner
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: