Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

rOTAX 9112 ULS Mystery SOLVED ! ! !

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnF

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:54 am    Post subject: rOTAX 9112 ULS Mystery SOLVED ! ! ! Reply with quote

First, let me thank everyone who gave me hints, suggestions, and views. I appreciate it far more than you might expect.

I just suspected it was something I did because the engine was working just fine prior to starting the annual condition inspection. But what?

I went over everything folks suggested with no positive results.

I decided to pull the plugs that were too black, sand blast them and reinstall, or possible put back in the plugs that had been removed earlier.

I never look into the spark plug boot, the part that connects the ignition wire to the top of the spark plug. I should have. When I pulled #4 bottom plug's wire boot it just didn't feel right, so I got a flashlight and examined the inside. There's a rather round receptacle and a small wire that crosses the receptor's "hole"....that was cocked sidways, so the top of the spark plug didn't get 'captured' by the little wire that normally slides across the top of the plug when you insert it. That's why you hear and feel that little washboard sound when inserting the plug.

I straightened out the receptor, insured a good 'clicking' sound when re-inserting the boot and wrapped things up.

The engine ran perfectly....all normal.

I went back in my trouble shooting notes (I keep notes so I can recall what I have done, etc) and noted that on the very first run after finishing the inspection that the engine ran rough I found #4 bottom plug wire hanging down loose. I thought I had overlooked installing it. Now I see it just fell out.

Now during trouble shooting the engine would run fine. Next morning it would not after reinstalling the cowling. Just putting on the cowling was enough to jostle the #4 plug wire to break the tenuous connection from the top of the plug to the interior of the boot.

I fell so good I am going out for a pizza and a pint of beer.

Again I can't say how much I appreciate all your help and suggestions.

John
[quote][b]

- The Matronics RotaxEngines-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RotaxEngines-List
Roger Lee

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: rOTAX 9112 ULS Mystery SOLVED ! ! ! Reply with quote

Hi John,
Congratulations I know that must feel almost as good as that cold beer, maybe even better. Smile
Glad you found it and from my own experiences I know it has to feel good when you finally find that ghost.

Just so you know that the problem you had is one of the Line Maint. inspection checks that should be done at the annual. On the inspection check list those boots should have 7 lbs of pull pressure before they come off.
I would recommend to every single person on our forum to print out from the Rotax Line maint. manual the inspection check list which is for the 100 hr. and the Annual condition inspection and use it every time. Sign off each check and keep them in a binder. If someone else does your inspections make them use this check list.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Light Sport Repairman
Home 520-574-1080 TRY HOME FIRST
Cell 520-349-7056
jacklockamy(at)comcast.ne

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: rOTAX 9112 ULS Mystery SOLVED ! ! ! Reply with quote

Congrats John!

I appreciate YOU sharing your trouble-shooting experience with us on the List. This is EXACTLY why I subscribed to this List in the first place. To learn from others who may have “been there…done that”.

Jack in Key West

From: owner-rotaxengines-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rotaxengines-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of JohnF
Sent: Saturday, June 09, 2012 1:52 PM
To: rotax engines matronics
Subject: rOTAX 9112 ULS Mystery SOLVED ! ! !

First, let me thank everyone who gave me hints, suggestions, and views. I appreciate it far more than you might expect.

I just suspected it was something I did because the engine was working just fine prior to starting the annual condition inspection. But what?

I decided to pull the plugs that were too black, sand blast them and reinstall, or possible put back in the plugs that had been removed earlier.

I never look into the spark plug boot, the part that connects the ignition wire to the top of the spark plug. I should have. When I pulled #4 bottom plug's wire boot it just didn't feel right, so I got a flashlight and examined the inside. There's a rather round receptacle and a small wire that crosses the receptor's "hole"....that was cocked sidways, so the top of the spark plug didn't get 'captured' by the little wire that normally slides across the top of the plug when you insert it. That's why you hear and feel that little washboard sound when inserting the plug.

I straightened out the receptor, insured a good 'clicking' sound when re-inserting the boot and wrapped things up.

I went back in my trouble shooting notes (I keep notes so I can recall what I have done, etc) and noted that on the very first run after finishing the inspection that the engine ran rough I found #4 bottom plug wire hanging down loose. I thought I had overlooked installing it. Now I see it just fell out.

Now during trouble shooting the engine would run fine. Next morning it would not after reinstalling the cowling. Just putting on the cowling was enough to jostle the #4 plug wire to break the tenuous connection from the top of the plug to the interior of the boot.

John
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

jacklockamy(at)comcast.ne

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: rOTAX 9112 ULS Mystery SOLVED ! ! ! Reply with quote

Roger,

For those not familiar with the checklist you mentioned, is it possible you
could post a copy (or at minimum... email me a copy)?

Thanks,
Jack
1pelican(at)comcast.net

--

BARRY CHECK 6

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: rOTAX 9112 ULS Mystery SOLVED ! ! ! Reply with quote

John:

When all else fails - STICK TO THE BASICS.
AIR - FUEL - SPARK - TIMING
The little stuff only improves what is already working.
I'm smiling because the problem was found, ...
Glad I could help.
Barry

On Sat, Jun 9, 2012 at 6:00 PM, Jack Lockamy <jacklockamy(at)comcast.net (jacklockamy(at)comcast.net)> wrote:
[quote]
Congrats John! 

I appreciate YOU sharing your trouble-shooting experience with us on the List.  This is EXACTLY why I subscribed to this List in the first place.  To learn from others who may have “been there…done that”.

Jack in Key West

From: owner-rotaxengines-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rotaxengines-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-rotaxengines-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rotaxengines-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of JohnF
Sent: Saturday, June 09, 2012 1:52 PM
To: rotax engines matronics

John
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

[b]

Roger Lee

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: rOTAX 9112 ULS Mystery SOLVED ! ! ! Reply with quote

Hi All,

Here is a copy of the inspection check list right out of the Rotax Line maint. manual. You should get in the habit of always using it.

Rotax Maint Check List.pdf
 Description:
Rotax Line Maint. Check List

Download
 Filename:  Rotax Maint Check List.pdf
 Filesize:  68.45 KB
 Downloaded:  411 Time(s)

Light Sport Repairman
Cell 520-349-7056
Dick Maddux

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:25 am    Post subject: rOTAX 9112 ULS Mystery SOLVED ! ! ! Reply with quote

John,
Ahh haa ! I thought it might be a plug problem but didn't think about the cap not connecting. Thanks for sharing as that is another item I can add to trouble shooting . Now if I could only remember !
Roger, stay young and sharp !
      Dick Maddux
      Milton,Fl
[quote][b]

Roger Lee

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: rOTAX 9112 ULS Mystery SOLVED ! ! ! Reply with quote

Hi Dick,

Nice to hear from you. Hope all is well.

The young part is the hard part. Still in a holding pattern at 39 (for 19 years), if I could only make my wife believe it. Very Happy

Light Sport Repairman
Cell 520-349-7056
kgderosier(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:27 am    Post subject: rOTAX 9112 ULS Mystery SOLVED ! ! ! Reply with quote

I, to am happy with this group staying on topic.  Everyone had great suggestions for John which I will keep in my archives.  John , I'm sure it feels really good to have the help that you got.

Gale Derosier
RANS S6-S Coyote II
912 UL
On Sat, Jun 9, 2012 at 12:52 PM, JohnF <n29cx(at)ridgeviewtel.us (n29cx(at)ridgeviewtel.us)> wrote:
Quote:

John
Quote:

ist" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RotaxEngines-List
ttp://forums.matronics.com
_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

--
Gale Derosier
[quote][b]

mortweaver(at)sbcglobal.n

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:49 am    Post subject: rOTAX 9112 ULS Mystery SOLVED ! ! ! Reply with quote

Thought I would comment on something else you may not be aware of when doing spark plug maintenance. The terminal connector in the plug boot should be coated with electrical connector grease. Dry terminals where high voltage is present combined with high humidity such as atmospheric foggy conditions can contribute to electrolysis in high voltage plug wire connectors(resulting voltage drop at connection will cause local hot spot and accelerate electrolysis process leading to destruction of connector base metals). By preventing any moisture wetting of dissimilar base metals in the connection with application of appropriate grease, electrolysis can be prevented. A sound plug wire connection on the Rotax 912 is noted by an audible clicking sound as the spark plug lead connector slips over the spark plug terminal threads. If that sound is not present, then close inspection of inside of boot terminal is required.
Dave Weaver N912GR

--- On Sat, 6/9/12, JohnF <n29cx(at)ridgeviewtel.us> wrote:

Quote:

To: "rotax engines matronics" <rotaxengines-list(at)matronics.com>
Date: Saturday, June 9, 2012, 12:52 PM

John
Quote:

ist" rel=nofollow target=_blank>http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RotaxEngines-List
et=_blank>http://forums.matronics.com
llow target=_blank>http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[quote][b]

raybot(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:57 am    Post subject: rOTAX 9112 ULS Mystery SOLVED ! ! ! Reply with quote

I followed this story and what I don,t get is why the engine did not develop full power or close to it with both mags hot.That is the premise of dual ignition,plus the mag drop was excessive on both mags,why? One mag was a 4 cylinder and the other was a 3 cylinder? I,m out of the rotax area now and in to the lycoming but stay with this group for it all around expertise in stuff like this.
[quote] ---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: