Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Alaska (was bahamas)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robin(at)PaintTheWeb.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Alaska (was bahamas) Reply with quote

Not RV related. Please delete if not interested.

Interesting firearm fact:
2011 Germany 250,000 police officers / 81 Million Population
German police shot their firearms a total of 85 times in 2011. 49 Warning shots, 36 with intent to hit suspect.

2012 Los Angeles
NYPD fired 84 rounds at one suspect
LAPD fired 90 rounds at one suspect.

Robin
Do Not Archive

Links if interested:
http://worldnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/05/11/11662345-german-police-fired-just-85-bullets-total-in-2011?lite
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTjwcyvzqvg
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2012/04/case-of-man-shot-at-90-times-on-freeway-tragic-lapd-says.html

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Neal.George(at)hurlburt.a

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:59 am    Post subject: Alaska (was bahamas) Reply with quote

Robin -

What was the hit rate?
Of the 36 / 84 / 90 rounds fired, how many found their mark?

Smile neal

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

john.maccallum(at)bigpond

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Alaska (was bahamas) Reply with quote

Um I don't know where this is going but from an outsider looking in we here
in Australia are always amazed to see the
The willingness of people in the US to resort a gun to protect their rights.
If you have a look a the stats for the rest of
The world it puts the US on par with a lot of countries one would not
normally associate the USA with?

I don't believe that Australia can claim any moral higher ground either. I
think we should all look to a country like Japan
Where to use a gun in a crime will result in a min 1 to 10 year jail term
and hand guns and any automatic guns are just not allowed.

My 2 cents worth Smile
Cheers
John MacCallum
Builder #41016
VH-DUU

--

dlm34077(at)q.com

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Alaska (was bahamas) Reply with quote

I am 68; too young to die and too old to survive a beating. I would not survive in a conflict with the Trayvons of the world (18, 6' 2" and a muscular 190 pounds). Therefore I have both training and permit to carry a weapon; I may lose my life in a confrontation but do not intend to give up willingly. I don't look for trouble and I believe "a soft answer turns away wrath" BUT if and when an officer asks "what are you afraid of?". "Not a damn thing."

--

Kellym

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Alaska (was bahamas) Reply with quote

The reason for a firearm in Alaska has nothing to do with protecting
rights (well, maybe a little). It is all about having something to
protect yourself from a bear that likes the smell of food in your plane,
and the ability to supplement your diet for the weeks you may wait for
search and rescue to locate and reach your unintended landing location.

On 6/16/2012 2:44 PM, John MacCallum wrote:
[quote]

Um I don't know where this is going but from an outsider looking in we here
in Australia are always amazed to see the
The willingness of people in the US to resort a gun to protect their rights.
If you have a look a the stats for the rest of
The world it puts the US on par with a lot of countries one would not
normally associate the USA with?

I don't believe that Australia can claim any moral higher ground either. I
think we should all look to a country like Japan
Where to use a gun in a crime will result in a min 1 to 10 year jail term
and hand guns and any automatic guns are just not allowed.

My 2 cents worth Smile
Cheers
John MacCallum
Builder #41016
VH-DUU

--

Bob Turner

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Alaska (was bahamas) Reply with quote

When I went to AK I borrowed a shotgun and bought some 00 buckshot shells. I've always wondered if this would have discouraged a bear, or if it just would have made him angrier?

Bob

Tim Olson

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Alaska (was bahamas) Reply with quote

Since I couldn't bring my 44mag in to Canada, I took a crash course in "Kung fu against bears" and as a backup I brought bear spray. With the large group there's not any real reason I'll have to hunt or go for an extended stay on the ground. If I were traveling alone or in a small group I'd have to get a compact shotgun. It really is a shame that you can't even bring a cased, locked, and secured handgun in while you transit the country....a 44mag really would be a good size to carry for emergencies up there. Mine is a medium length barrel that is long enough to hunt big game with but short enough to backpack with. As a gun owner I'm understanding to some of the feelings of those who have reservations about handguns but I do feel that they have their place and for me, traveling across the Yukon just seems like the perfect place, so it's sad that they're restricted. I run the middle of the road....I think carrying should be legal, but if you carry and go LOOKING for trouble, the punishment for you should be very severe. Responsibility... We accept it as pilots all the time. If only you could say the same for the general population.

Anyway, probably getting a bit political for the list so we may want to get back to airplanes. The topic is related to Alaska but we don't need to argue the nations gun control laws or lack thereof. To those things most people already have their own solid opinion. I prefer to stay in the middle.

Tim
On Jun 16, 2012, at 7:47 PM, Kelly McMullen <kellym(at)aviating.com> wrote:

[quote]

The reason for a firearm in Alaska has nothing to do with protecting rights (well, maybe a little). It is all about having something to protect yourself from a bear that likes the smell of food in your plane, and the ability to supplement your diet for the weeks you may wait for search and rescue to locate and reach your unintended landing location.

On 6/16/2012 2:44 PM, John MacCallum wrote:
>
>
> Um I don't know where this is going but from an outsider looking in we here
> in Australia are always amazed to see the
> The willingness of people in the US to resort a gun to protect their rights.
> If you have a look a the stats for the rest of
> The world it puts the US on par with a lot of countries one would not
> normally associate the USA with?
>
> I don't believe that Australia can claim any moral higher ground either. I
> think we should all look to a country like Japan
> Where to use a gun in a crime will result in a min 1 to 10 year jail term
> and hand guns and any automatic guns are just not allowed.
>
> My 2 cents worth Smile
>
>
> Cheers
> John MacCallum
> Builder #41016
> VH-DUU
>
>
>
>
>
> --

dlm34077(at)q.com

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Alaska (was bahamas) Reply with quote

I concur with the 44; have a SW629, but the need for protection in AK is
certainly more from the wildlife rather that the two legged critters there.
Question is would you rather have a shotgun with 00 or "play dead" in the
fetal position. After all you are fresh meat for the bears. Also pilots
should carry SPOT or PLB for assistance there.

--

philperry9

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Alaska (was bahamas) Reply with quote

I always fly with a handgun if I'm not going to some controlled airport.

It's all about survival in the bush. But I do carry one in the city too and that is for personal defense. And Houston is so full of illegals and you need one here. Just watch the news and see how many murders are reported each day right here.

I've been targeted before a few times and good situational awareness combined with quick thinking got me out of it. But that's enough about life in the southern boarder of the US.

In the plane, I'll happily carry a handgun and use it to keep the family fed. There is a lot of remote country out there.

Tim you should watch IAWOODSMAN on YouTube. Good stuff and you will appreciate (and feel more comfortable) having seen some of his training videos.

He was an instructor at the USAF Survival School. It is known as one of the best survival programs out there.

Phil

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 16, 2012, at 9:30 PM, "DLM" <dlm34077(at)q.com> wrote:

[quote]

I concur with the 44; have a SW629, but the need for protection in AK is
certainly more from the wildlife rather that the two legged critters there.
Question is would you rather have a shotgun with 00 or "play dead" in the
fetal position. After all you are fresh meat for the bears. Also pilots
should carry SPOT or PLB for assistance there.

--

philperry9

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:40 am    Post subject: Alaska (was bahamas) Reply with quote

You are better off carrying a pork chop.

That'll feed him long enough to give you a two step head start. Smile

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 16, 2012, at 8:40 PM, "Bob Turner" <bobturner(at)alum.rpi.edu> wrote:

Quote:

When I went to AK I borrowed a shotgun and bought some 00 buckshot shells. I've always wondered if this would have discouraged a bear, or if it just would have made him angrier?

Bob

--------
Bob Turner
RV-10 QB

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=375856#375856

jdriggs49(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:20 am    Post subject: Alaska (was bahamas) Reply with quote

On the tv show "Alaska State Troopers", all they carry for bears is a shotgun. I think I'd alternate 00 buck with slugs.

Quote:
Subject: Re: RV10-List: Re: Alaska (was bahamas)
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2012 07:39:54 -0500
To: rv10-list@matronics.com

--> RV10-List message posted by: Phil Perry <philperry9@gmail.com>

You are better off carrying a pork chop.

That'll feed him long enough to give you a two step head start. :)

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 16, 2012, at 8:40 PM, "Bob Turner" <bobturner@alum.rpi.edu> wrote:

> --> RV10-List message posted by: "Bob Turner" <bobturner@alum.rpi.edu>
>
> When I went to AK I borrowed a shotgun and bought some 00 buckshot shells. I've always wondered if this would have discouraged a bear, or if it just would have made him angrier?
>
> Bob
>
> --------
> Bob Turner
> RV-10 QB
>
>
>
>
> Read this topic online here:
>
> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=375856#375856
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

_-============================================================
_-= - The RV10-List Email Forum -
_-= Use the Matronics List Features Navigator to browse
_-= the many List utilities such as List Un/Subscription,
_-= Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ,
_-= Photoshare, and much much more:
_-=
_-= =
_-= - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS -
_-= Same great content also available via the Web Forums!
_-=
_-= --> http://forums.matronics.com
_-=
_-= - List Contribution Web Site -
_-= Thank you for your generous support!
_-= -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
_-= --> http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[quote][b]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:14 am    Post subject: Alaska (was bahamas) Reply with quote

I don't have a problem with people protecting themselves from wild animals
if they have a licence for the gun and
a reason to have the gun. If I was going bush in Alaska for days on end I
would probably want a gun as well! I would not
live off the native wildlife as a matter of choice but I can see where you
may have too!

John MacCallum
VH-DUU
RV 10 # 41016

--

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:26 am    Post subject: Alaska (was bahamas) Reply with quote

That’s a fairly common statement from a lot of people. I have the same concern but the likely hood of it happening is very remote!

Trayvon was 17 years old and obviously not real smart since he took a walk through a Gated community full of people that were concerned with holding onto their
Worldly possessions and paranoid as well! Otherwise they would not have been living in a gated community in the first place.
If someone jumps on you without identifying themselves to you, and whom is obviously not a police officer why would you not resist them?

Also

The autopsy report stated he was 5 feet, 11 inches and weighed 158 pounds.

And I prefer to leave the bible out of things because it too often is used to justify illogical behavior.

Cheers

John MacCallum
VH-DUU
RV 10 # 41016

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of DLM
Sent: Sunday, 17 June 2012 10:31 AM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: RE: Re: Alaska (was bahamas)

I am 68; too young to die and too old to survive a beating. I would not survive in a conflict with the Trayvons of the world (18, 6' 2" and a muscular 190 pounds). Therefore I have both training and permit to carry a weapon; I may lose my life in a confrontation but do not intend to give up willingly. I don't look for trouble and I believe "a soft answer turns away wrath" BUT if and when an officer asks "what are you afraid of?". "Not a damn thing."

--

dlm34077(at)q.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:03 am    Post subject: Alaska (was bahamas) Reply with quote

A world without violence would be great but until that time I will "speak softly and carry a big stick". I prefer to wait for the trial facts in Florida as our media has an agenda. For example, they have virtually ignored the attack by a mob of Trayvons on a family at the Wisconsin State Fair before the media hype of the Florida incident and afterwards virtually ignored another similar mob attack on two of their own (reporters) in Virginia. Several other attacks have barely made any news here so would probably not even be reported in OZ. You won't see it in our media but Google the city of "de trois" sometime. Look at the pictures and determine whether you would go there armed or unarmed or at all.

Lest you think I am one of the isolated Americans, I traveled widely in Europe and Asia and worked and lived for 16 years in the Middle East. But for the US this communication would probably be in German or Japanese. If you like, we can take the discussion off the list since this hardly touches our RV10s. IIRC your comment changed this thread from flying to Alaska.to our culture.

fiy aman Allah

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of John MacCallum
Sent: Monday, June 18, 2012 1:26 AM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com

That’s a fairly common statement from a lot of people. I have the same concern but the likely hood of it happening is very remote!

Trayvon was 17 years old and obviously not real smart since he took a walk through a Gated community full of people that were concerned with holding onto their
Worldly possessions and paranoid as well! Otherwise they would not have been living in a gated community in the first place.
If someone jumps on you without identifying themselves to you, and whom is obviously not a police officer why would you not resist them?

Also

And I prefer to leave the bible out of things because it too often is used to justify illogical behavior.

Cheers

John MacCallum
VH-DUU
RV 10 # 41016

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of DLM

--

Kelly McMullen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:36 am    Post subject: Alaska (was bahamas) Reply with quote

I know it is difficult for those in other cultures to comprehend, but
the US does not require a license to own or carry a gun, unless you
want to carry it concealed. While guns in recent years are registered
when purchased from a dealer, there is no accounting for guns that
existed from around 50 or more years ago, and no tracking of private
sales of guns. We have this little artifact of history, that guns
enabled our country to escape from a tyrannical (perhaps alleged)
king. So a right was established in our constitution allowing us to
own and bear arms. Which means that we can mount a gun rack in or
outside our RV-10s if that is our desire. But such modifications slow
down the build process. Wink

On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 1:13 AM, John MacCallum
<john.maccallum(at)bigpond.com> wrote:
Quote:

I don't have a problem with people protecting themselves from wild animals
if they have a licence for the gun and
a reason to have the gun. If I was going bush in Alaska for days on end I
would probably want a gun as well! I would not
live off the native wildlife as a matter of choice but I can see where you
may have too!

John MacCallum
VH-DUU
RV 10 # 41016

Quote:

jdriggs49(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:28 am    Post subject: Alaska (was bahamas) Reply with quote

I have a problem with those that flaunt their guns in public. Just because you can care a weapon to a rally to see the president speak or walk down the middle of a subdivision carrying an AR-15, that doesn't mean that is prudent to do so. Like a lot of things in life.....you have to use common sense. If you feel the need to carry, then get the permit to do so like all the rest of us!
Quote:
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 07:35:46 -0700
Subject: Re: RV10-List: Re: Alaska (was bahamas)

--> RV10-List message posted by: Kelly McMullen <apilot2(at)gmail.com>

I know it is difficult for those in other cultures to comprehend, but
the US does not require a license to own or carry a gun, unless you
want to carry it concealed. While guns in recent years are registered
when purchased from a dealer, there is no accounting for guns that
existed from around 50 or more years ago, and no tracking of private
sales of guns. We have this little artifact of history, that guns
enabled our country to escape from a tyrannical (perhaps alleged)
king. So a right was established in our constitution allowing us to
own and bear arms. Which means that we can mount a gun rack in or
outside our RV-10s if that is our desire. But such modifications slow
down the build process. Wink

On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 1:13 AM, John MacCallum
<john.maccallum(at)bigpond.com> wrote:
> --> RV10-List message posted by: "John MacCallum" <john.maccallum(at)bigpond.com>
>
> I don't have a problem with people protecting themselves from wild animals
> if they have a licence for the gun and
> a reason to have the gun. If I was going bush in Alaska for days on end I
> would probably want a gun as well! I would not
> live off the native wildlife as a matter of choice but I can see where you
> may have too!
>
> John MacCallum
> VH-DUU
> RV 10 # 41016

>
& Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ,
&gt========================

dlm34077(at)q.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Alaska (was bahamas) Reply with quote

It certainly does slow the build process but not as much as a permanent mount and an approriate gun sight for those pesky Cessnas in the pattern.
"switchin to guns"

--

Kellym

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Alaska (was bahamas) Reply with quote

They didn't have those in the stock Van's optional kits when you built? Razz
On 6/18/2012 11:40 AM, DLM wrote:

Quote:

It certainly does slow the build process but not as much as a permanent mount and an approriate gun sight for those pesky Cessnas in the pattern.
"switchin to guns"

No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
[quote][b]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Alaska (was bahamas) Reply with quote

Yep we have idiots here as well, actually I’m beginning to think slightly more per capita than you guys.
There is certainly no mistaking the contribution of the US in the Pacific and Europe, which being keenly interested in the history of both world wars, I always
Point out to young people.
In the US the raw stats show that violent crimes are split roughly even between assaults with and without weapons and if a weapon is used it usually involves
a gun. If you look at countries that have non existent gun control the numbers go up dramatically.

If you look at countries that have very tight gun control the Stats reflect a lot lower violent crime rate. Interestingly the USA’s crime rate is around twice
That of Australia and Australia has no reason to be proud either.

As for culture I believe it is non existent here in Australia. Yep I agree about getting back to RV10s.

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of DLM
Sent: Monday, 18 June 2012 11:00 PM

A world without violence would be great but until that time I will "speak softly and carry a big stick". I prefer to wait for the trial facts in Florida as our media has an agenda. For example, they have virtually ignored the attack by a mob of Trayvons on a family at the Wisconsin State Fair before the media hype of the Florida incident and afterwards virtually ignored another similar mob attack on two of their own (reporters) in Virginia. Several other attacks have barely made any news here so would probably not even be reported in OZ. You won't see it in our media but Google the city of "de trois" sometime. Look at the pictures and determine whether you would go there armed or unarmed or at all.

Lest you think I am one of the isolated Americans, I traveled widely in Europe and Asia and worked and lived for 16 years in the Middle East. But for the US this communication would probably be in German or Japanese. If you like, we can take the discussion off the list since this hardly touches our RV10s. IIRC your comment changed this thread from flying to Alaska.to our culture.

fiy aman Allah

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of John MacCallum
Sent: Monday, June 18, 2012 1:26 AM

Also

Cheers

John MacCallum
VH-DUU
RV 10 # 41016

--

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Alaska (was bahamas) Reply with quote

Yep those bloody poms are the cause of all of our problems!

I reckon a ADEN Rotary canon would make a good mod if it was mounted on a
pod and synchronised to the Prop.

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: