Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yak 55M Voltage regulator Overvoltage?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark.bitterlich(at)navy.m

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: Yak 55M Voltage regulator Overvoltage? Reply with quote

On the Russian designs, the DMR-200 Combined Device contains the reverse
current cut-out circuit. There are a number of relays contained in that
device, one of which is used for reverse current sensing. The reverse
current relay is in series with the Main Contactor relay. When the
reverse current sensing relay is activated, it in turn removes coil
voltage from the main contactor relay thus opening the circuit from
generator output to the main aircraft bus.

If the DMR-200 main contactor relay is closed with the generator at
rest, the battery fuse will blow in a YAK-50.

I know that because ... I've done it.

Mark
--

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
TigerAirshows

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: Yak 55M Voltage regulator Overvoltage? Reply with quote

Guys,

Thanks for all the input. I still have not made it out to the hangar to implement any troubleshooting as of yet. Summer vacation has gotten in the way, but I will post results when I get them.

Mark-
www.tigerairshows.com

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

TigerAirshows

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Yak 55M Voltage regulator Overvoltage? Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

The problem was primarily an over voltage situation that was stressing the two small 7AH batteries, oboard the aircraft, causing an over current situation to the batteries.

For other Yak 55 owners with the original system installed, it was quite simple to adjust.

The CB I was complaining about earlier is an over current CB designed to take the batteries off line, if it detects a short on the battery direct bus or to high of a load from overcharging. The over current was due to too much voltage (30v+) trying to cram into those small gell cell batteries.

Located on the top right corner near the firewall behind the panel above the spar, is a cylinder looking object with cooling fins. This is the voltage regulator. Looking at it from the cockpit seat there are two set screws holding down the big (slot) master adjustment screw. My set screws were safety wired. Once the set screws were loosened. the big adjustment screw in the middle can be rotated. Rotating clockwise to REDUCE voltage and counterclockwise to INCREASE voltage. I set mine to 26-27.5v with varying RPM.

The mistake I made earlier is that I turned the regulator the wrong way initially, and this tripped the OVER VOLTAGE relay when the Voltage peaked over 31v on run up. This then tripped the Generator off line giving a GEN OFF LIGHT at all RPMS. The Generator relay is a gray box with two small cannon plugs coming out of it, located top left corner behind the panel, above the wing spar. On top of this box, near the rear is a reset button, under what feels like a rubber cap. Pushing it you will hear a click, indicating the relay is reset.

The stock system worked as designed and is a good system. I'm assuming when one of these great items fail then the cost replacement/simplicity of going to the B&C route is definitely worth considering.

I want to give special thanks to Mark Bitterlich for taking my call, while on vacation, and working with me through the problem. Also, everyone on this list is an invaluable asset and I am grateful to have such a tool available in my toolbox in time of need. See you all at a show soon, I hope.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: