Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

oil pressure problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lcottrell

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: oil pressure problem Reply with quote

I have an HKS 700 E on my Firestar. It has been showing low oil pressure. It was fine until I changed the oil, then immediately after the change the oil pressure light began flashing on my EIS. I could keep the pressure up at cruise speed, as I believed that it was a faulty sender. My last flight was "the Long Draw Fire" and I had to cut it short because I was having problems keeping the pressure high enough even at cruise. I parked it and ordered a new sender, enduring a long and extremely tedious hassle with Fed X in trying to get them to deliver the part. I finally got the sender tonight and it appears that the problem is not solved at all.

I used a new filter, In fact two of them. One was a Napa Gold, and then a Carquest, hoping that it was just the filter. The oil is full synthetic 5W 40 as required. I have trouble with coincidences, and this one seems a bit strange.  I am not sure that I have really flown it at the heats that we are enduring. I doubt that the temps have much to do with it as well. I am open to any suggestions at all.
Larry
--
If you forward this email, or any part of it, please remove my email address before sending.

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

byoungplumbing(at)gmail.c

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: oil pressure problem Reply with quote

some where in the back of my mind, i remember a pressure relief valve built into the outlet of the oil pump. which keeps the oil pressure from going too high dureing high revs. if there is something stuck in the relief valve holding it part way open, it may be bypassing too much oil when the temps get high and the oil thins down. or possibily a portion of the closing device missing or broke off, out of alignment,,,, maybe a broken spring.

i thought the oil sender was a good possibility....

boyd

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I have an HKS 700 E on my Firestar. It has been showing low oil pressure. It was fine until I changed the oil, then immediately after the change the oil pressure light began flashing on my EIS. I could keep the pressure up at cruise speed, as I believed that it was a faulty sender. My last flight was "the Long Draw Fire" and I had to cut it short because I was having problems keeping the pressure high enough even at cruise. I parked it and ordered a new sender, enduring a long and extremely tedious hassle with Fed X in trying to get them to deliver the part. I finally got the sender tonight and it appears that the problem is not solved at all.

I used a new filter, In fact two of them. One was a Napa Gold, and then a Carquest, hoping that it was just the filter. The oil is full synthetic 5W 40 as required. I have trouble with coincidences, and this one seems a bit strange. I am not sure that I have really flown it at the heats that we are enduring. I doubt that the temps have much to do with it as well. I am open to any suggestions at all.
Larry
[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

frank goodnight

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:45 am    Post subject: oil pressure problem Reply with quote

Hi Larry,
Sorry to hear you are having problems with the HKS . I have always used Moble full synthetic 5w40 and a wix filter.
200 hrs and no problems. Have run it for 1 hr at 5,700 RPM with ground temps over 100 F--checking the new air scoops--
with no problems. CHT under 300 F and have to cover 1/2 my oil cooler to get the oil temp to 180. So if everything else is OK
it's doubtful the hot weather is causing the problem . How many HRS on your engine ? and what are your temps?
Hope yours is just a simple ( and cheap) fix.
Keep us informed ,and good luck
Frank
firestar2
HKS 700E

To: "kolb-list(at)matronics.com" <kolb-list(at)matronics.com>
Sent: Fri, July 27, 2012 7:58:30 PM
Subject: oil pressure problem

I used a new filter, In fact two of them. One was a Napa Gold, and then a Carquest, hoping that it was just the filter. The oil is full synthetic 5W 40 as required. I have trouble with coincidences, and this one seems a bit strange. I am not sure that I have really flown it at the heats that we are enduring. I doubt that the temps have much to do with it as well. I am open to any suggestions at all.
Larry
--
If you forward this email, or any part of it, please remove my email address before sending.

Quote:

[quote][b]

zeprep251(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: oil pressure problem Reply with quote

Larry,
I would look at the relief valve.If you have the manual it might give you the lube diagram showing where the valve is located.Sounds like the valve is held open.
G.Aman

--

lcottrell

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: oil pressure problem Reply with quote

Hi,
   I have somewhere around 150 hours. The temps stay around 300. I am getting a mechanical oil pressure gauge so I will know for sure what the pressure is. I will let you know.
Larry

On Sat, Jul 28, 2012 at 8:45 AM, frank goodnight <frank.goodnight(at)att.net (frank.goodnight(at)att.net)> wrote:
Quote:
Hi Larry,
Sorry to hear you are having problems with the HKS . I have always used Moble  full synthetic 5w40 and a wix filter.
200 hrs and no problems.  Have run it for 1 hr at 5,700 RPM with ground  temps over 100 F--checking the new air scoops--
with no problems. CHT under 300 F and have to cover 1/2 my oil cooler to get the oil temp to 180. So if everything else is OK
it's doubtful the hot weather is causing the problem . How many HRS on your engine ? and what are your temps?
Hope yours is just a simple ( and cheap) fix.
Keep us informed ,and good luck
Frank
firestar2
HKS 700E

From: Larry Cottrell <lcottrell1020(at)gmail.com (lcottrell1020(at)gmail.com)>
To: "kolb-list(at)matronics.com (kolb-list(at)matronics.com)" <kolb-list(at)matronics.com (kolb-list(at)matronics.com)>
Sent: Fri, July 27, 2012 7:58:30 PM
Subject: Kolb-List: oil pressure problem

I used a new filter, In fact two of them. One was a Napa Gold, and then a Carquest, hoping that it was just the filter. The oil is full synthetic 5W 40 as required. I have trouble with coincidences, and this one seems a bit strange.  I am not sure that I have really flown it at the heats that we are enduring. I doubt that the temps have much to do with it as well. I am open to any suggestions at all.
Larry
--

Quote:

Quote:

get="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
tp://forums.matronics.com
_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

--

[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: