Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aluminum gear with 5/8 axles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chevybowtieracing(at)yaho

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Aluminum gear with 5/8 axles Reply with quote

I am new to the Kolb business we bought a mkIIIc a few mouths ago, I am a little disappointed with the landing gear we have the aluminum legs with 5/8 axles the tires are 600*6 6 ply. Noticed the pilot tire toed out a little need to keep eye on this right! First flight no problem landed find, second flight the axle bent more so I order a new. In the mean time reading in the list found that it is ok to straight them one time so I did look better than when we bought it time to test it out and keep in mind it is weaker now so it will bend easier. After a few fly by's time to land one notch of flaps air speed 50 1/4 of power I got a little fast about three feet off kill the power level off air speed about 45 touch down pow! Left tire flies off right rudder right brake left leg is off the ground that's good slow down and keep the three points down almost stop left starting to dig in and pull to the left stuck in the soft dirt on the side of the runway nose over just a little kill engines and fuel. That could have been really bad I'm not hurt insect the plane nothing but one broken axle oh the propeller is partly missing the tire hit it and my wife got it all on tape. Lesson will not be straightening an more axles. Sorry for going on and on. We have installed a new factory axle in hopes this will never happen again. In reading on this list sounds like axles bending is quite normal i don't like that idea some time you just don't have glass landing it just the facts none of the landings were pancakes. How much better is the 4130 leg and are the axles replaced with larger diameter are are they the same 5/8"?

Quote:

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
rickofudall

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Aluminum gear with 5/8 axles Reply with quote

Mark, I bent and straightened the aluminum gear legs on my Mk III quite a few times, but I never bent an axle. Keep with it and soon you will grease it on every time.The steel gear legs use the same size axle. It's dictated by the size of bearings the wheel manufacturers use.

Rick Girard
do not archive

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 11:07 PM, Mark <chevybowtieracing(at)yahoo.com (chevybowtieracing(at)yahoo.com)> wrote:
Quote:
--> Kolb-List message posted by: Mark <chevybowtieracing(at)yahoo.com (chevybowtieracing(at)yahoo.com)>

I am new to the Kolb business we bought a mkIIIc a few mouths ago, I am a little disappointed with the landing gear we have the aluminum legs with 5/8 axles the tires are 600*6 6 ply. Noticed the pilot tire toed out a little need to keep eye on this right! First flight no problem landed find, second flight the axle bent more so I order a new. In the mean time reading in the list found that it is ok to straight them one time so I did look better than when we bought it time to test it out and keep in mind it is weaker now so it will bend easier. After a few fly by's time to land one notch of flaps air speed 50 1/4 of power I got a little fast about three feet off kill the power level  off air speed about 45 touch down pow! Left tire flies off right rudder right brake left leg is off the ground that's good slow down and keep the three points down almost stop  left starting to dig in and pull to the left stuck in the soft dirt on the side of the runway nose over just a little ki!
 ll engines and fuel. That could have been really bad I'm not hurt insect the plane nothing but one broken axle oh the propeller is partly missing the tire hit it and my wife got it all on tape. Lesson will not be straightening an more axles. Sorry for going on and on. We have installed a new factory axle in hopes this will never happen again. In reading on this list sounds like axles bending is quite normal i don't like that idea some time you just don't have glass landing it just the facts none of the landings were pancakes. How much better is the 4130 leg and are the axles replaced with larger diameter  are are they the same 5/8"?

>

===========
arget="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
===========
http://forums.matronics.com
===========
le, List Admin.
="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

--
Zulu Delta
Mk IIIC
Thanks, Homer GBYM
It isn't necessary to have relatives in Kansas City in order to be unhappy.
  - Groucho Marx

[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

elleryweld(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:06 am    Post subject: Aluminum gear with 5/8 axles Reply with quote

the solid axles are a lot stronger also

Ellery Batchelder Jr.

--

russk50(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:08 am    Post subject: Aluminum gear with 5/8 axles Reply with quote

Mark
Sorry for your troubles but you did everything right! Congratulations.
I'm sure we'd all love to see this tape -- can you post it?
Russ K

do not archive
On Aug 31, 2012, at 12:07 AM, Mark wrote:

Quote:

I am new to the Kolb business we bought a mkIIIc a few mouths ago, I am a little disappointed with the landing gear we have the aluminum legs with 5/8 axles the tires are 600*6 6 ply. Noticed the pilot tire toed out a little need to keep eye on this right! First flight no problem landed find, second flight the axle bent more so I order a new. In the mean time reading in the list found that it is ok to straight them one time so I did look better than when we bought it time to test it out and keep in mind it is weaker now so it will bend easier. After a few fly by's time to land one notch of flaps air speed 50 1/4 of power I got a little fast about three feet off kill the power level off air speed about 45 touch down pow! Left tire flies off right rudder right brake left leg is off the ground that's good slow down and keep the three points down almost stop left starting to dig in and pull to the left stuck in the soft dirt on the side of the runway nose over just a little ki!
ll engines and fuel. That could have been really bad I'm not hurt insect the plane nothing but one broken axle oh the propeller is partly missing the tire hit it and my wife got it all on tape. Lesson will not be straightening an more axles. Sorry for going on and on. We have installed a new factory axle in hopes this will never happen again. In reading on this list sounds like axles bending is quite normal i don't like that idea some time you just don't have glass landing it just the facts none of the landings were pancakes. How much better is the 4130 leg and are the axles replaced with larger diameter are are they the same 5/8"?

>

chevybowtieracing(at)yaho

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:07 am    Post subject: Aluminum gear with 5/8 axles Reply with quote

Quote:
From: Mark <chevybowtieracing(at)yahoo.com (chevybowtieracing(at)yahoo.com)>
Date: August 31, 2012 9:27:17 AM CDT
To: Kolb-List Digest List <kolb-list-digest(at)matronics.com (kolb-list-digest(at)matronics.com)>
Subject: Re: Re: Aluminum gear with 5/8 axles

Quote:

I am a little
disappointed with the landing gear we have the aluminum legs with 5/8 axles
the tires are 600*6 6 ply. Noticed the pilot tire toed out a little need to keep
eye on this right! First flight no problem landed find, second flight the axle
bent more so I order a new. Lesson will not be straightening an more axles. We have installed a new factory axle in hopes this will never happen
again. In reading on this list sounds like axles bending is quite normal i don't
like that idea some time you just don't have glass landing it just the facts
none of the landings were pancakes. How much better is the 4130 leg and are
the axles replaced with larger diameter are are they the same 5/8"?

It could be that the axle has already been straighten and was brittle to make it snap, it broke right were the brake plate was welded on to the axle. The legs are fine at this time we plan on trying it with the new axle and hope for better results. We bought the mkIIIc for fun it's not very fun if your always replacing and repairing things that breaks when they shouldn't. I would like to find out more about the upgraded 4130 gear and how well it holds up. I saw were John H put 3/4 axles on his mkIIIc I am interested in this would like more info on how this was done. Thanks for the info.

Sorry not able post the video to the list

Quote:

Do not archive

[quote][b]

Dennis Thate

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Aluminum gear with 5/8 axles Reply with quote

chevybowtieracing ...it happens to best of us . Hang in there!

Kolb Landing Gear.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  57.88 KB
 Viewed:  5332 Time(s)

Kolb Landing Gear.jpg

russk50(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Aluminum gear with 5/8 axles Reply with quote

Mark
Sorry for your troubles but you did everything right! Congratulations.
I'm sure we'd all love to see this tape -- can you post it?
Russ K

do not archive
On Aug 31, 2012, at 12:07 AM, Mark wrote:

Quote:

I am new to the Kolb business we bought a mkIIIc a few mouths ago, I am a little disappointed with the landing gear we have the aluminum legs with 5/8 axles the tires are 600*6 6 ply. Noticed the pilot tire toed out a little need to keep eye on this right! First flight no problem landed find, second flight the axle bent more so I order a new. In the mean time reading in the list found that it is ok to straight them one time so I did look better than when we bought it time to test it out and keep in mind it is weaker now so it will bend easier. After a few fly by's time to land one notch of flaps air speed 50 1/4 of power I got a little fast about three feet off kill the power level off air speed about 45 touch down pow! Left tire flies off right rudder right brake left leg is off the ground that's good slow down and keep the three points down almost stop left starting to dig in and pull to the left stuck in the soft dirt on the side of the runway nose over just a little ki!
ll engines and fuel. That could have been really bad I'm not hurt insect the plane nothing but one broken axle oh the propeller is partly missing the tire hit it and my wife got it all on tape. Lesson will not be straightening an more axles. Sorry for going on and on. We have installed a new factory axle in hopes this will never happen again. In reading on this list sounds like axles bending is quite normal i don't like that idea some time you just don't have glass landing it just the facts none of the landings were pancakes. How much better is the 4130 leg and are the axles replaced with larger diameter are are they the same 5/8"?

>

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: